Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Yes I misunderstood Monet. I thought it was Ed that was the one man Army and not his highly capable college roommate (then was it Marshall who was following Rex and getting intel for the Final Battle ?). The other thing I very very briefly misunderstood was at the beginning of the movie when they first encountered the other group in the forest - for a moment I thought that the hunting group was looking at their own Dopplegangers across the rivers and that this was a supernatural thriller (having not read the novel).
    No doubt.
    Nothing wrong with theorizing that they were looking at themselves across the river.
    They even put a line in the movie saying that exact thing.

Sometimes, this is how I find good movies that I haven't seen.
    You guys mention a movie.
    I watch it and read the comments.
    I find another movie inside the comments.
    Supposedly this is a pretty good movie with Cliff Robertson as well.
    Free on Youtube so I'll give it a watch.
    Only 240p upload but its free.
    The book was "Flowers for Algernon".
    They renamed it for the movie and called it "Charly."
    I know nothing about it but it has strong reviews.

Charly (1968)

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Sometimes, this is how I find good movies that I haven't seen.
    You guys mention a movie.
    I watch it and read the comments.
    I find another movie inside the comments.
    Supposedly this is a pretty good movie with Cliff Robertson as well.
    Free on Youtube so I'll give it a watch.
    Only 240p upload but its free.
    The book was "Flowers for Algernon".
    They renamed it for the movie and called it "Charly."
    I know nothing about it but it has strong reviews.

Charly (1968)

Ok, for this one I don't remember watching the one from '68 Monet, but I did read the book and I think I saw a reboot of the movie (maybe a TV short - I don't honestly remember) that was made much later - maybe the 80's. Thanks for the link. I'll try and watch some of these recos on my friend's smart TV since he has the youtube app on it (rather than on my laptop which is what I saw Shoot on).

Best, TP.

Ok, for this one I don't remember watching the one from '68 Monet, but I did read the book and I think I saw a reboot of the movie (maybe a TV short - I don't honestly remember) that was made much later - maybe the 80's. Thanks for the link. I'll try and watch some of these recos on my friend's smart TV since he has the youtube app on it (rather than on my laptop which is what I saw Shoot on).

Best, TP.
    No worries.
    I just got on a bit of a kick lately and posting a bit too much.
    I was reading some comments of the prisoner today because the format on the set I bought is a bit off.
    Not that I am complaining or can't watch it but I was checking the comments to see if it was an issue.
    Anyways, I ran across some guy who didn't like much of the prisoner and was griping.
    Funny how he only liked 5 or 6 of the episodes since the whole thing was basically supposed to be only 7.
    So he suggested that the TV Show: Callan was far superior.
    Turns out it has 44 episodes and supposed to be dark, which I like.
    Have to purchase that now as I am an addict.

Best, TP.
    No worries.
    I just got on a bit of a kick lately and posting a bit too much.
    I was reading some comments of the prisoner today because the format on the set I bought is a bit off.
    Not that I am complaining or can't watch it but I was checking the comments to see if it was an issue.
    Anyways, I ran across some guy who didn't like much of the prisoner and was griping.
    Funny how he only liked 5 or 6 of the episodes since the whole thing was basically supposed to be only 7.
    So he suggested that the TV Show: Callan was far superior.
    Turns out it has 44 episodes and supposed to be dark, which I like.
    Have to purchase that now as I am an addict.

Thanks Monet, I hadn't heard of the Callan TV series. With regard to Charly, after you see it, I will tell you the name of a popular movie that lifted (stole) the whole idea of it. If I tell you now it will give away what Charly is about since it was a popular movie with a big star in it, and you likely have already seen this popular movie. If you already have a general idea of what Charly is about, then I will tell you the name of the popular movie even before you see Charly.

Best, TP.

Thanks Monet, I hadn't heard of the Callan TV series. With regard to Charly, after you see it, I will tell you the name of a popular movie that lifted (stole) the whole idea of it. If I tell you now it will give away what Charly is about since it was a popular movie with a big star in it, and you likely have already seen this popular movie. If you already have a general idea of what Charly is about, then I will tell you the name of the popular movie even before you see Charly.

Best, TP.
    I finished Charly (1968) version.
    I was actually more emotional at the beginning of the movie compared to the end.

It made me think of this movie: At First Sight (1999).
    Same premise but not nearly as good of a movie.

Interesting Note is that Cliff Robertson got the movie rights for Charly for free basically.
    He tells the story in this interview and it is a bit long winded (11 minutes) but I watched the whole thing for a few reasons.
    Mostly, because it showed me how age crushes you eventually and that topic has been on my mind for a few weeks.
    He also got into a sidetrack about how he helped William Goldman with his first movie writing gig.

Ok, the movie that rips it off is https://imgur.com/a/RRN6CEN (Danny please don't click this link if you don't know what Charly is about or haven't read Flowers from Algernon). It is very likely both of you have seen this movie I linked. My plan is to watch Charly (I will watch the interview with Cliff after I have seen Charly) today before the presidential debate, which I will watch for comedic relief (the debate).

Yes age crushes you. I am reminded of this each day by my muscles, bones and joints. It's good when a young person understands that age crushes you but most young people don't; even if you tell them.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-22-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    The other unit was already there, ready, (i liked the white winter gear) and seemed to have just as much if not more firepower. To me it also seemed odd that Rex's group seemed to be mostly outfitted with shorter barrel, smaller caliber stuff even though they were fully automatic. Like the young dufus who fired first, he had what looked like to me as a MAC-10. It was 1976 but come on, shooting across that river give me something a little longer barrelled for accuracy.
    You guys may have misunderstood who was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    It starts around 38:50 of the movie posted on Youtube.
    Marshall Flynn was Ed's roommate at Northwestern.
    Ed was the guy who got shot and killed but Marshall Flynn, his pal, was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    Rex seems to have taken this serious but not seriously enough as he didn't research or scout Marshall out enough.

This whole movie is Allegoric.
    The events of the movie are just the vehicle to get you to actually think.
    Much of it is open to your own interpretation and life experiences.
    We could literally break this movie down endlessly.
    It is obvious that this movie isn't about some bad hunting experience/accident that went wrong.
    I'm glad that dannyj brought it to our attention and I must admit it was far better than I expected.
    Now I just need to figure out how to copy it from youtube and burn it to a dvd.
    Good catch Monet, I did mistake those two. So when Rex was over at the widow's house, it was Marshall Flynn (the one man army) who was due to arrive.

The book was written in 1973 and from what I remember was very gun detailed, anti-hippie, anti counter culture. What one would expect from older vets at the end of the Vietnam war.

I watched Charly and thanks again for the reco Monet. It was good to see Dick Van Patten in the movie even though he had a minor role. Boarding houses are rare these days and so it was good to be reminded of what was normal back then. Apart from that, I felt that the movie was a decent adaptation of the book - you could definitely see the psychedelic influence on the movie reflective of the time period.

I watched Charly and thanks again for the reco Monet. It was good to see Dick Van Patten in the movie even though he had a minor role. Boarding houses are rare these days and so it was good to be reminded of what was normal back then. Apart from that, I felt that the movie was a decent adaptation of the book - you could definitely see the psychedelic influence on the movie reflective of the time period.
    Decent enough movie.
    Better than most of what they produce these days.

As I stated before I got Sorcerer and Man on Fire recently.
    I only got through half of the original Man on Fire and its much slower.

I watched Sorcerer though.
    Really Good Movie for Guys who like Movies.
    It seems Star Wars actually killed the movie Sorcerer and Steve McQueen turned down the role.
    They lost over 10 million on the movie but damn the scenes in that movie are amazing.
    Just the crossing of the suspension bridge is worth multiple viewings.
    I also liked how they gave you the backstory of how the American and Frenchman ended up in South America.
    The first 5 to 10 minutes you think you are watching a French Movie.
    Hilarious line how his wife is griping about the lobster totally oblivious to her husbands troubles.
    I'm pretty sure I have seen this movie long ago but didn't appreciate it.
    Many times the Blu Ray transfer is horrible but this one is worth the price.
    The very long Trivia post on imdb for the movie is amazing.
    A long read, for film buffs, after they watch the movie.
    It took them almost a year to film it in the jungle with many injuries, malaria and other problems.
    They actually assembled the bridge at a cost of 1 million dollars and had the first river dry up on them.
    So they found another river and packed up the bridge which cost another million to transport and set it back up.
    Of course the second river dried up on them as well but they improvised with hoses.
    You can't tell.
    Damn Movie is real and looks real unlike CGI.
    And of course you have the Tangerine Dream Soundtrack... enough said.

Last edited by monet; 10-23-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Of course, reading the comments on Youtube, about Sorcerer, I run into another Ultra Violent 70s film that I can't remember viewing so probably buy this if I can...

Rolling Thunder (1977)

Decent enough movie.
    Better than most of what they produce these days.

As I stated before I got Sorcerer and Man on Fire recently.
    I only got through half of the original Man on Fire and its much slower.

I watched Sorcerer though.
    Really Good Movie for Guys who like Movies.
    It seems Star Wars actually killed the movie Sorcerer and Steve McQueen turned down the role.
    They lost over 10 million on the movie but damn the scenes in that movie are amazing.
    Just the crossing of the suspension bridge is worth multiple viewings.
    I also liked how they gave you the backstory of how the American and Frenchman ended up in South America.
    The first 5 to 10 minutes you think you are watching a French Movie.
    Hilarious line how his wife is griping about the lobster totally oblivious to her husbands troubles.
    I'm pretty sure I have seen this movie long ago but didn't appreciate it.
    Many times the Blu Ray transfer is horrible but this one is worth the price.
    The very long Trivia post on imdb for the movie is amazing.
    A long read, for film buffs, after they watch the movie.
    It took them almost a year to film it in the jungle with many injuries, malaria and other problems.
    They actually assembled the bridge at a cost of 1 million dollars and had the first river dry up on them.
    So they found another river and packed up the bridge which cost another million to transport and set it back up.
    Of course the second river dried up on them as well but they improvised with hoses.
    You can't tell.
    Damn Movie is real and looks real unlike CGI.
    And of course you have the Tangerine Dream Soundtrack... enough said.
    Tangerine Dream did the score ? I'm in. I am streaming it for free at https://putlockerslinks.com/movie/sorcerer/. Thanks Monet.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.

With regard to Sorcerer - astounding attention to detail. The dark humor that is worked into the tapestry is terrific. One of the best lines IMHO: "I've seen worse". thanks again for the reco Monet.

With regard to Sorcerer - astounding attention to detail. The dark humor that is worked into the tapestry is terrific. One of the best lines IMHO: "I've seen worse". thanks again for the reco Monet.

WARNING
    Movie Spoilers Contained Below...

For some reason I thought Spoiler Tags worked on this Forum but I guess not?

[SPOILER]testing testing[/SPOILER]

This movie goes from Great to Amazing for me because of the ending. I'm guessing many people who watch this movie for the first time miss the ending and other scenes. If you are busy getting a drink or not concentrating you could easily miss when the one truck blows a tire and explodes! Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie and the ending as he was going insane while driving. The screen goes pitch black and I'm actually wondering if my TV or Player went on the blink lol!? The visual you get as he is about to collapse with that fire is impressive not to mention many of the visuals are spectacular and from my understanding real. No CGI, no models... real explosions. They hired a professional arson named the Torch to blow up that tree because they couldn't figure out how to do it in one explosion!

It could be very easy to miss this ending while he is getting paid off. I was sitting there upset as that bar scene was bothering me. I couldn't understand why they didn't end it when he collapsed at his destination? Many movies of that era and genre would of ended it right there which makes perfect sense. However, this director is on another level. First he gives you the four backstories and slowly develops their situation in a third world shithole. He runs you through a gauntlet of impossibilities and one man makes it out for a huge payday and a fresh start at life. Does he end it on that note? Hell No... he brings it full circle.

As he is lulling us to sleep with some dance scene he cuts out to the beat up taxi and of course the Mob gets out with the guy who sent him there in the first place! Perfect Music to intensify the situation. Music I have to watch as the credits roll just like when I watch Blade Runner (1982). That payoff was huge for me as it totally blindsided me. Love that feeling.

Did you catch the gunshot at the end?
    It's around 1:23 of this video on youtube.

Last edited by monet; 10-24-2020 at 04:05 AM.

I'm not sure if this is true but some comments suggest that the 1953 version of the French novel Le Salaire de la peur is better than the 1977 Sorcerer version.
    I'll have to watch it and decide for myself.
    Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Not everyone has the time to just sit around and watch movie after movie.

The big claim is that the 1953 version gets you more involved with the 4 characters and has a bigger payoff.
    As I think about this, I think of the classic 1948 film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
    I'm guessing they have similarities.

Daily Motion has the full movie at this link if it works for you.
    Seems to be a French Movie with subtitles if you like that sort of thing, which I do.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jg3bu

Wages of Fear - Trailer

Last edited by monet; 10-24-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Interesting.
    The director claims it is a car backfiring but up to the audience to decide.
    Supposedly, he edited it into the ending.
    Some say it says that a car is backfiring on the closed captions so I will have to check.
    I'm sick like that.

WARNING
    Movie Spoilers Contained Below...

For some reason I thought Spoiler Tags worked on this Forum but I guess not?

[SPOILER]testing testing[/SPOILER]

This movie goes from Great to Amazing for me because of the ending. I'm guessing many people who watch this movie for the first time miss the ending and other scenes. If you are busy getting a drink or not concentrating you could easily miss when the one truck blows a tire and explodes! Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie and the ending as he was going insane while driving. The screen goes pitch black and I'm actually wondering if my TV or Player went on the blink lol!? The visual you get as he is about to collapse with that fire is impressive not to mention many of the visuals are spectacular and from my understanding real. No CGI, no models... real explosions. They hired a professional arson named the Torch to blow up that tree because they couldn't figure out how to do it in one explosion!

It could be very easy to miss this ending while he is getting paid off. I was sitting there upset as that bar scene was bothering me. I couldn't understand why they didn't end it when he collapsed at his destination? Many movies of that era and genre would of ended it right there which makes perfect sense. However, this director is on another level. First he gives you the four backstories and slowly develops their situation in a third world shithole. He runs you through a gauntlet of impossibilities and one man makes it out for a huge payday and a fresh start at life. Does he end it on that note? Hell No... he brings it full circle.

As he is lulling us to sleep with some dance scene he cuts out to the beat up taxi and of course the Mob gets out with the guy who sent him there in the first place! Perfect Music to intensify the situation. Music I have to watch as the credits roll just like when I watch Blade Runner (1982). That payoff was huge for me as it totally blindsided me. Love that feeling.

spoilers below:
    Hi Monet, I did catch the gunshot at the end. If it was not a gunshot (I thought it probably was), we can only wonder how he would get out of this next conundrum (likely not, though he did have the entire town on his side). One of my favorite dark humor elements was the disappointment of the town police since they were losing one of their extortion victims as he now had the money,paperwork,townsfolk and oil company support to get out of Dodge - they were probably the only towns folk who were upset . One of the most amazing things about the movie was the intricate character development of the French Banker only to have him get blown up when the tire on the Sorcerer exploded leading to the crash which caused the nitro sticks to blow up and obliterate he and the other driver along with the Sorcerer truck. The big lesson I guess, is that if you skip town, don't let anyone know where you are going because that means someone else knows where you are (not that he had any choice given his limited resources and with the mob looking for him). Who knew that churches were owned and run by the mob ? Brilliant. Thank you for the dailymotion link of the predecessor movie.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-24-2020 at 04:54 AM.

Who knew that churches were owned and run by the mob ? Brilliant. Thank you for the dailymotion link of the predecessor movie.
    It will be a miracle if you can watch it on that site with all the advertisements.
    I made it about 1 hour and 3 minutes before I broke down and rented in on AppleTV for 4 dollars.

The 1953 version is a Good Movie for that time period.
    I do not agree with the camp that says the 1953 version has more character development.

Personally, I prefer the 1977 version as it has much more of a punch.
    IMO, Sorcerer has more value for multiple viewings.
    Normally, I favor Black and White Movies but the color in this version makes a much better experience.
    Just the musical score alone will bring me back.
    I can't get enough of that ending when they zoom in on his friends face before he has to do what he is going to do.
    Last edited by monet; 10-24-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Who knew that churches were owned and run by the mob ? Brilliant. Thank you for the dailymotion link of the predecessor movie.
    It will be a miracle if you can watch it on that site with all the advertisements.
    I made it about 1 hour and 3 minutes before I broke down and rented in on AppleTV for 4 dollars.

The 1953 version is a Good Movie for that time period.
    I do not agree with the camp that says the 1953 version has more character development.

Personally, I prefer the 1977 version as it has much more of a punch.
    IMO, Sorcerer has more value for multiple viewings.
    Normally, I favor Black and White Movies but the color in this version makes a much better experience.
    Just the musical score alone will bring me back.
    I can't get enough of that ending when they zoom in on his friends face before he has to do what he is going to do.
    I have ad blocker for the Firefox browser I use so perhaps I will attempt to watch the dailymotion movie. Regardless, the 1977 movie was exceptional.
    Notice of intent to watch: Death Rides a Horse (not a reco as I have not watched it yet). This movie has Lee Van Cleef. At the least I can screen mirror it to my friend's Smart TV using the Tubi app (where the movie is offered for free) on a wiped Smart phone he loaned me which is nothing more than a Smart TV screen mirroring device (no phone service - I just connect it to the wifi router) in its present form. I have enjoyed all the movies I have seen Lee Van Cleef in like Escape from New York and the Clint Eastwood spaghetti Westerns for example. So I am anticipating that I will enjoy this move, but I'll let you guys know how I liked it in any case.

Notice of intent to watch: Death Rides a Horse (not a reco as I have not watched it yet). This movie has Lee Van Cleef. At the least I can screen mirror it to my friend's Smart TV using the Tubi app (where the movie is offered for free) on a wiped Smart phone he loaned me which is nothing more than a Smart TV screen mirroring device (no phone service - I just connect it to the wifi router) in its present form. I have enjoyed all the movies I have seen Lee Van Cleef in like Escape from New York and the Clint Eastwood spaghetti Westerns for example. So I am anticipating that I will enjoy this move, but I'll let you guys know how I liked it in any case.
    It's always nice when you can find these movies on Youtube.
    I've seen most of these types of movies and have many of them on dvd.
    Not certain about this one but will give it a viewing in a few hours.

Thread Information