Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1086

Thread: movie reco

  1. #1041
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    John Wick 3 (the first two were great too).
    It's about time!
    Let me know when you actually get to play it!
    I watched the original movie the other day.
    I thought the movie was better the first time I watched it ten years ago.
    I was wrong.
    I don't understand how people love this movie/series.
    I'm really starting to turn into an old curmudgeon lol.
    Will do Monet. Although the Pinball Hall of Fame will probably get it as fast as any place, so you will get to play it quite soon if you decide to play it. Anyway, based on the Youtube footage, it looks like a lot of fun.

  2. #1042
    I watched the movie Defendor (Woody Harrelson). The movie was a bit lame (rehashed storyline seen in dozens of other movies - a likeable vigilante dumbfuck tries to help people), so I would only watch it if you are bored. Please disregard this post if you have already seen it.

  3. #1043
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I watched the movie Defendor (Woody Harrelson). The movie was a bit lame (rehashed storyline seen in dozens of other movies - a likeable vigilante dumbfuck tries to help people), so I would only watch it if you are bored. Please disregard this post if you have already seen it.
    I think I watched it when it first came out.
    Very Forgettable.
    Not even sure if I watched the entire movie.

    Anyways... found this.
    1990 British sitcom "Heil Honey, I'm Home"
    Funny Concept.
    Mel Brooks would have made it work if he was involved.
    For some reason the Brits got all offended and only the pilot aired.
    I guess they shot 8 episodes but only aired 1.
    The writers could have gone really hard on the "jokes" as they seemed a bit too soft.
    Maybe they got more edgy as the series went on lol.
    I dunno, it's sort of so bad that it's funny.


  4. #1044
    That recommendation got me thinking about something I watched not too long ago, 'The Great Dictator' by Charlie Chaplin. Max has a lot of really old stuff but what got me intrigued was the 1940 release date. A film making fun of Hitler from a mainly pre-war perspective?? I'm in. Apparently this was his most commercially successful film, but not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Anyway what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed it. Both from a historical standpoint in terms of what we knew about the Nazis at that time, but also the movie is often hysterically funny. I mean how can you make tormenting and murdering people in a ghetto funny?? Doesn't seem possible, but he pulls it off. At the end Chaplin looks directly into the camera and delivers a heartfelt message that really moved me.

    Last edited by jdog; 05-25-2024 at 12:24 PM.

  5. #1045
    Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    That recommendation got me thinking about something I watched not too long ago, 'The Great Dictator' by Charlie Chaplin. Max has a lot of really old stuff but what got me intrigued was the 1940 release date. A film making fun of Hitler from a mainly pre-war perspective?? I'm in. Apparently this was his most commercially successful film, but not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Anyway what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed it. Both from a historical standpoint in terms of what we knew about the Nazis at that time, but also the movie is often hysterically funny. I mean how can you make tormenting and murdering people in a ghetto funny?? Doesn't seem possible, but he pulls it off. At the end Chaplin looks directly into the camera and delivers a heartfelt message that really moved me.

    You must be really young.
    You can watch more Charlie Chaplin movies.
    After that you can move over to the Marx Brothers and Three Stooges.
    Should keep you busy for at least a year depending on how hard you go.

  6. #1046
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Should keep you busy for at least a year depending on how hard you go.
    That's actually quite profoundly pathetic. Not even a spectator sport.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

    Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

    Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

  7. #1047
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I watched the movie Defendor (Woody Harrelson). The movie was a bit lame (rehashed storyline seen in dozens of other movies - a likeable vigilante dumbfuck tries to help people), so I would only watch it if you are bored. Please disregard this post if you have already seen it.
    I think I watched it when it first came out.
    Very Forgettable.
    Not even sure if I watched the entire movie.

    Anyways... found this.
    1990 British sitcom "Heil Honey, I'm Home"
    Funny Concept.
    Mel Brooks would have made it work if he was involved.
    For some reason the Brits got all offended and only the pilot aired.
    I guess they shot 8 episodes but only aired 1.
    The writers could have gone really hard on the "jokes" as they seemed a bit too soft.
    Maybe they got more edgy as the series went on lol.
    I dunno, it's sort of so bad that it's funny.

    Thanks M8. I'm in - looks really funny.

  8. #1048
    Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    That recommendation got me thinking about something I watched not too long ago, 'The Great Dictator' by Charlie Chaplin. Max has a lot of really old stuff but what got me intrigued was the 1940 release date. A film making fun of Hitler from a mainly pre-war perspective?? I'm in. Apparently this was his most commercially successful film, but not sure I'd ever even heard of it. Anyway what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed it. Both from a historical standpoint in terms of what we knew about the Nazis at that time, but also the movie is often hysterically funny. I mean how can you make tormenting and murdering people in a ghetto funny?? Doesn't seem possible, but he pulls it off. At the end Chaplin looks directly into the camera and delivers a heartfelt message that really moved me.

    Thanks Jdog. Who can forget the classic from '68, The Producers (Mel Brooks - I think this movie was discussed in this thread at some point):

  9. #1049
    Speaking of Hitler, I made the mistake of seeing The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5177120/). I guess it's just better to assume every movie released is going to be woke trash.

  10. #1050
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    For some reason the Brits got all offended and only the pilot aired.
    I guess they shot 8 episodes but only aired 1.
    I dunno, it's sort of so bad that it's funny.
    It looks like it was heavily influenced by The Honeymooners in terms of mannerisms and characterizations. Obviously, even if it had been well executed, they would have run out of material after the 8 episodes anyway, due to the highly specialized subject matter. They should have aired the series in the U.S. market rather than the British market - it may have succeeded ;-). Thanks again for the reco.

  11. #1051
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    You must be really young.
    You can watch more Charlie Chaplin movies.
    After that you can move over to the Marx Brothers and Three Stooges.
    Should keep you busy for at least a year depending on how hard you go.
    First time anyone has referred to me as young in a very long time... thanks!

    As a kid I was quite familiar with the Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Dagwood & Blondie... etc, but Marx brothers stuff never interested me. The Great Dictator is probably the only Chaplin movie I've ever watched in it's entirety.

  12. #1052
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    It looks like it was heavily influenced by The Honeymooners in terms of mannerisms and characterizations. Obviously, even if it had been well executed, they would have run out of material after the 8 episodes anyway, due to the highly specialized subject matter. They should have aired the series in the U.S. market rather than the British market - it may have succeeded ;-). Thanks again for the reco.
    I think that was the point.
    I'm pretty sure they were making fun of American Sitcoms.
    And that anything goes in America.
    Most of the cast was Jewish so it wasn't like it offended them.
    In either case, I guess the joke works better as a skit.
    A 30-minute, show every week, is probably too much as the joke wears off.
    And I guess it was done a few times before.

  13. #1053
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I'm pretty sure they were making fun of American Sitcoms.
    And I guess it was done a few times before.
    Yes excellent point, that was most likely a primary motivation along with making fun of the Nazis at the same time. That's right, and as you know Mel Brooks was one of those who satirized the Nazis, and of course Spike Jones too.

    Name:  WmC06Qk.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  74.5 KB

  14. #1054
    The review is only 9 seconds, but it is spot on and a bit humorous.
    I enjoyed the movie.
    Too Bad it bombed at the box office and ruined Caan's directorial career.
    It did have this TV Movie feel to it but still pretty good at 2am with nothing else to watch.




  15. #1055
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The review is only 9 seconds, but it is spot on and a bit humorous.
    I enjoyed the movie.
    Too Bad it bombed at the box office and ruined Caan's directorial career.
    It did have this TV Movie feel to it but still pretty good at 2am with nothing else to watch.
    I'm in Monet, thanks for the reco.

  16. #1056
    I haven't watched more than a few minutes of TV, in the last few months. Only to find out what's going on in the real world.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

    Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

    Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

  17. #1057
    The Heil Honey I’m home reminds me a little bit of That’s My Bush, the live action show by the South Park guys that came out right after the 2000 election was settled.

    It was only on a few episodes before it got cancelled but it was a funny show. Particularly notable was the episode where George Bush accidentally did ecstasy, or the episode where Dick Cheney took over which was retitled for that 1 episode, What a Dick


  18. #1058
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The review is only 9 seconds, but it is spot on and a bit humorous.
    I enjoyed the movie.
    Too Bad it bombed at the box office and ruined Caan's directorial career.
    It did have this TV Movie feel to it but still pretty good at 2am with nothing else to watch.



    Thanks again Monet, very solid movie. I'm not clear on why Hacklin's mother wasn't cast as a Buffalo mom (Edith type from All in the Family)- she came off more like a Kansas librarian (maybe she emigrated to New York when she was young before she gave birth to Hacklin). The movie did a great job of emulating the late 60's, which of course would be much more difficult to do these days.

  19. #1059
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    The Heil Honey I’m home reminds me a little bit of That’s My Bush, the live action show by the South Park guys that came out right after the 2000 election was settled.

    It was only on a few episodes before it got cancelled but it was a funny show. Particularly notable was the episode where George Bush accidentally did ecstasy, or the episode where Dick Cheney took over which was retitled for that 1 episode, What a Dick

    I vaguely remember that airing, but I don't remember seeing any episodes. Thanks for the reco Ben, I'll check it out if I can find an episode or more.

  20. #1060
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    The Heil Honey Iím home reminds me a little bit of Thatís My Bush, the live action show by the South Park guys that came out right after the 2000 election was settled.

    It was only on a few episodes before it got cancelled but it was a funny show. Particularly notable was the episode where George Bush accidentally did ecstasy, or the episode where Dick Cheney took over which was retitled for that 1 episode, What a Dick

    I vaguely remember that airing, but I don't remember seeing any episodes. Thanks for the reco Ben, I'll check it out if I can find an episode or more.
    What makes myself & probably others nostalgic for that show was it aired in the brief period after Bush became president but before 9/11.

    A great period in life & in history, although the events that happened later may be clouding that view.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Identify poker movie
    By SLaPiNFuNK in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2021, 03:54 PM
  2. My Latest Movie Ratings
    By mr jjj in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 04:05 AM
  3. The best Las Vegas movie scenes
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
  4. Political undertones in The Ides of March movie
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  5. Discount Movie Theaters
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •