Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1086

Thread: movie reco

  1. #1061
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks again Monet, very solid movie. I'm not clear on why Hacklin's mother wasn't cast as a Buffalo mom (Edith type from All in the Family)- she came off more like a Kansas librarian (maybe she emigrated to New York when she was young before she gave birth to Hacklin). The movie did a great job of emulating the late 60's, which of course would be much more difficult to do these days.
    Good Catch/Insight!
    The movie was pretty good at keeping my attention.
    I enjoyed the early bar scene.
    I like those kinds of places.
    Hitting the guy with a shovel was a pretty good stunt.
    Anyways...

    Found this movie.
    I do not recall ever watching it.
    Probably up your alley as it is horror and comedy.
    You probably already seen it.
    It's not an easy movie to find.
    Someone uploaded it to YouTube a couple of weeks ago.
    And it's in HD.
    YouTube will probably strike it down eventually.
    Anyways, I always enjoy Elliott Gould.
    I haven't watched it yet.
    Doing that now.

    EDIT: Not so hard to find after-all.
    Turns out YouTube has some other lower quality uploads.
    It appears that if you want it on DVD, it will cost you 50 to 100 dollars!

    Little Murders (1971)

    Last edited by monet; 06-03-2024 at 04:32 AM.

  2. #1062
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Little Murders (1971)
    Nevermind about this movie.
    Figuring out nevermind or never mind is more interesting.
    Sometimes the Stage doesn't translate over to the Screen for me.
    This movie is heavy dialog and by heavy, I mean non-stop.
    The jokes barely gave me a chuckle.
    The climax didn't work for me either.
    The movie holds up with modern day issues but the powers that be would use this subject material to take our guns away.
    Glad I watched it, but it was not easy to sit through the entire movie.

  3. #1063
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    That’s My Bush, the live action show by the South Park guys that came out right after the 2000 election was settled.
    Do you also remember the Lil' Bush cartoon? It was hysterical but I thought to myself- man this has got to be pissing a lot of powerful people off. Surprisingly it still ran for two seasons.

    Finally got around to watching 'Hard Eight' last night. Not bad and a very solid cast, but mainly enjoyed that a lot of it was probably shot at the Reno Peppermill in the mid 90s. I think it's worth a watch but can see how the twist does not quite hold up against most of the better films of this era. It's on Pluto for free rn.


  4. #1064
    Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    Thatís My Bush, the live action show by the South Park guys that came out right after the 2000 election was settled.
    Do you also remember the Lil' Bush cartoon? It was hysterical but I thought to myself- man this has got to be pissing a lot of powerful people off. Surprisingly it still ran for two seasons.

    Finally got around to watching 'Hard Eight' last night. Not bad and a very solid cast, but mainly enjoyed that a lot of it was probably shot at the Reno Peppermill in the mid 90s. I think it's worth a watch but can see how the twist does not quite hold up against most of the better films of this era. It's on Pluto for free rn.

    Loved Lilí Bush! His rock song The Decider still actually gets stuck in my head from time to time!

    Hard 8 was filmed in 96. Around that time I was a regular visitor to Reno as a broke degenerate.

    So used to stay in the funky little no-tell motels vs the casino hotels.

    Iím not for certain but when I watched Hard 8 one or more of the scenes was filmed at one of those & it looked familiar enough that I think I had stayed in it.

  5. #1065
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks again Monet, very solid movie. I'm not clear on why Hacklin's mother wasn't cast as a Buffalo mom (Edith type from All in the Family)- she came off more like a Kansas librarian (maybe she emigrated to New York when she was young before she gave birth to Hacklin). The movie did a great job of emulating the late 60's, which of course would be much more difficult to do these days.
    Good Catch/Insight!
    The movie was pretty good at keeping my attention.
    I enjoyed the early bar scene.
    I like those kinds of places.
    Hitting the guy with a shovel was a pretty good stunt.
    Anyways...

    Found this movie.
    I do not recall ever watching it.
    Probably up your alley as it is horror and comedy.
    You probably already seen it.
    It's not an easy movie to find.
    Someone uploaded it to YouTube a couple of weeks ago.
    And it's in HD.
    YouTube will probably strike it down eventually.
    Anyways, I always enjoy Elliott Gould.
    I haven't watched it yet.
    Doing that now.

    EDIT: Not so hard to find after-all.
    Turns out YouTube has some other lower quality uploads.
    It appears that if you want it on DVD, it will cost you 50 to 100 dollars!

    Little Murders (1971)

    Thanks Monet, I'll give it a go, I haven't seen it either.

  6. #1066
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    It's about time!
    Let me know when you actually get to play it!
    I watched the original movie the other day.
    I thought the movie was better the first time I watched it ten years ago.
    I was wrong.
    I don't understand how people love this movie/series.
    I'm really starting to turn into an old curmudgeon lol.
    Will do Monet. Although the Pinball Hall of Fame will probably get it as fast as any place, so you will get to play it quite soon if you decide to play it. Anyway, based on the Youtube footage, it looks like a lot of fun.
    Ok, well I played the John Wick pinball on Monday. It was not a fun game. Even when the rule set gets more developed with later software releases I don't see how they can save this game. The reason is the layout is generic - most of the shots are just larger than the width of the ball. So you will just have to trap up to shoot many of shots rather than shooting them on the run as the shots are much more likely to brick compared to most other recent releases.

    As an aside, I highly recommend the Jaws pinball (based on the blockbuster '75 movie) from Stern which was the last Stern release before the John Wick pinball. The theme of Jaws is seamlessly integrated into the rule set and same with the innovate layout.

  7. #1067
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Ok, well I played the John Wick pinball on Monday. It was not a fun game. Even when the rule set gets more developed with later software releases I don't see how they can save this game. The reason is the layout is generic - most of the shots are just larger than the width of the ball. So you will just have to trap up to shoot many of shots rather than shooting them on the run as the shots are much more likely to brick compared to most other recent releases.

    As an aside, I highly recommend the Jaws pinball (based on the blockbuster '75 movie) from Stern which was the last Stern release before the John Wick pinball. The theme of Jaws is seamlessly integrated into the rule set and same with the innovate layout.
    Thanks for the update!
    I'll keep a lookout for Jaws Pinball.

    Little Murderers is probably worth the viewing just for the experience.
    It's just a very dry black comedy that takes a long time to get to the point.
    The first hour and fifteen minutes is a very long setup.
    It's a little too much on "psychobabble" for me.
    I'm not a big believer in Fraud (Freud) or Therapy.
    When I look back it, I guess the best part is how Elliot Gould snaps out of it and is eating dinner with his hands while having a good laugh.
    I just wouldn't recommend the movie or rewatch it, but I think it is important in the overall movie making/viewing experience.

  8. #1068
    I did just happen to stumble upon a Great Movie that I missed 11 years ago.
    I didn't know anything about it going in.
    I suggest you do not read any comments or watch any previews if you watch this movie.
    You really do not want to know anything going in.
    I stumbled upon it in the usual way of searching to and fro.
    I was probably too busy making money in this time period and the movie didn't gain any traction for me to notice it.
    But it is definitely a movie that I will put in my collection, and I highly recommend it.

    The odd thing about this movie is the rotten tomato score.
    IMDB has it rated better.
    I figured this movie might be really good when I watched 10 seconds of the preview.
    The Classical Music and Art Dealings hooked me immediately.
    Geffory Rush is pretty damn good at what he does as well.

    The Best Offer (2013)
    Geoffrey Rush
    Jim Sturgess
    Donald Sutherland

  9. #1069
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Ok, well I played the John Wick pinball on Monday. It was not a fun game. Even when the rule set gets more developed with later software releases I don't see how they can save this game. The reason is the layout is generic - most of the shots are just larger than the width of the ball. So you will just have to trap up to shoot many of shots rather than shooting them on the run as the shots are much more likely to brick compared to most other recent releases.

    As an aside, I highly recommend the Jaws pinball (based on the blockbuster '75 movie) from Stern which was the last Stern release before the John Wick pinball. The theme of Jaws is seamlessly integrated into the rule set and same with the innovate layout.
    Thanks for the update!
    I'll keep a lookout for Jaws Pinball.

    Little Murderers is probably worth the viewing just for the experience.
    It's just a very dry black comedy that takes a long time to get to the point.
    The first hour and fifteen minutes is a very long setup.
    It's a little too much on "psychobabble" for me.
    I'm not a big believer in Fraud (Freud) or Therapy.
    When I look back it, I guess the best part is how Elliot Gould snaps out of it and is eating dinner with his hands while having a good laugh.
    I just wouldn't recommend the movie or rewatch it, but I think it is important in the overall movie making/viewing experience.
    Thanks Monet. I found the humor is ultra-dark even in the Dark Comedy genre and am guessing that that is why it didn't gain much traction in the theater. For example, the apathy of the other subway riders as Alfred came on the subway completely bloodied after Patsy was shot and killed. Alan Arkin's speculation at the time for how interactions will be in crowded urban environments. That's why you have all these social media hounds on Twitter, Facebook, etc. - trying to gain attention in an indifferent world, so I guess Alan had it down pretty well and just packaged it in the form of an ultra-dark comedy.

  10. #1070
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I did just happen to stumble upon a Great Movie that I missed 11 years ago.
    I didn't know anything about it going in.
    I suggest you do not read any comments or watch any previews if you watch this movie.
    You really do not want to know anything going in.
    I stumbled upon it in the usual way of searching to and fro.
    I was probably too busy making money in this time period and the movie didn't gain any traction for me to notice it.
    But it is definitely a movie that I will put in my collection, and I highly recommend it.

    The odd thing about this movie is the rotten tomato score.
    IMDB has it rated better.
    I figured this movie might be really good when I watched 10 seconds of the preview.
    The Classical Music and Art Dealings hooked me immediately.
    Geffory Rush is pretty damn good at what he does as well.

    The Best Offer (2013)
    Geoffrey Rush
    Jim Sturgess
    Donald Sutherland
    I don't think I saw this one - it sounds familiar, so I may have watched the trailer during that time. I am planning to watch it and thanks for the reco.

  11. #1071
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I did just happen to stumble upon a Great Movie that I missed 11 years ago.
    I didn't know anything about it going in.
    I suggest you do not read any comments or watch any previews if you watch this movie.
    You really do not want to know anything going in.
    I stumbled upon it in the usual way of searching to and fro.
    I was probably too busy making money in this time period and the movie didn't gain any traction for me to notice it.
    But it is definitely a movie that I will put in my collection, and I highly recommend it.

    The odd thing about this movie is the rotten tomato score.
    IMDB has it rated better.
    I figured this movie might be really good when I watched 10 seconds of the preview.
    The Classical Music and Art Dealings hooked me immediately.
    Geffory Rush is pretty damn good at what he does as well.

    The Best Offer (2013)
    Geoffrey Rush
    Jim Sturgess
    Donald Sutherland
    I watched it, but I will probably rewatch it because the Youtube version I watched has poor sound. I downloaded the movie from gomovies, so it should run cleaner if I watch it again. In any case, as you wrote, it was an excellent movie. One of my favorite things about the movie is how some of the pieces fall together retrospectively after the viewing. For example, during an auction one of the bidders gets super pissed that Billy (Donald Sutherland) has the winning bid on a painting since she was not observed making her bid after Billy by Virgil during the auction. She then says something like "I am the biggest collector of this person's reproductions (forgeries)". Well after the movie, it came to me that the primary reason she was absolutely furious is because she had figured out sometime before (perhaps years before) that Virgil (with Billy shilling) was passing off real paintings as brilliant forgeries and buying them on the cheap using Billy as the shill in the bidding audience - and so Virgil had prevented her from getting her hands on what she knew was a genuine painting (which was super-cheaply priced for the real thing but over-priced if it had been a known forgery).

  12. #1072
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I watched it, but I will probably rewatch it because the Youtube version I watched has poor sound. I downloaded the movie from gomovies, so it should run cleaner if I watch it again. In any case, as you wrote, it was an excellent movie. One of my favorite things about the movie is how some of the pieces fall together retrospectively after the viewing. For example, during an auction one of the bidders gets super pissed that Billy (Donald Sutherland) has the winning bid on a painting since she was not observed making her bid after Billy by Virgil during the auction. She then says something like "I am the biggest collector of this person's reproductions (forgeries)". Well after the movie, it came to me that the primary reason she was absolutely furious is because she had figured out sometime before (perhaps years before) that Virgil (with Billy shilling) was passing off real paintings as brilliant forgeries and buying them on the cheap using Billy as the shill in the bidding audience - and so Virgil had prevented her from getting her hands on what she knew was a genuine painting (which was super-cheaply priced for the real thing but over-priced if it had been a known forgery).
    The only reason it worked for me was because I kept teasing my uncle that she was a vampire or demon and was going to do some "Night Gallery" shit on him and he would probably end up in a painting/portrait for all of eternity. I had earlier read that it was a drama, so I was kind of just making the Horror Shit up, but the music was leaning in a Horror direction and the math midget made it a little spookier. So, I wasn't even thinking Con Job till about halfway through the movie. It's not perfect. It's got a lot of cheese to it but it's realistic how even the smartest people can easily get blindsided or hoodwinked. Greed is Good or Greed will beat you in the end. The movie has a very similar vibe as the 2003 movie "Matchstick Men". It's basically the same movie but repackaged. The movie kind of shines with the cinematography, soundtrack and Geoffery Rush's acting. You really believe him in that role. And of-course I like the ending where he loses his mind and thinks that she is going to meet him at that bar/restaurant and finally ends up in a home/asylum. It was just nice to watch a movie that wasn't pushing a woke agenda.

  13. #1073
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I kept teasing my uncle that she was a vampire or demon and was going to do some "Night Gallery" shit on him and he would probably end up in a painting/portrait for all of eternity. I had earlier read that it was a drama, so I was kind of just making the Horror Shit up, but the music was leaning in a Horror direction and the math midget made it a little spookier.
    Good call - your uncle was probably quite familiar with Night Gallery since it first aired in the early 70's and Rod Serling was the shit back then.

    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The movie has a very similar vibe as the 2003 movie "Matchstick Men". It's basically the same movie but repackaged.
    Great point - yes another conning the con man type thing from Hollywood, except both Matchstick Men and The Best Offer are exceptionally well executed examples of this sub-genre as we observed.

  14. #1074
    Alright, 70s Double Feature.
    Required viewing for Film Buffs.
    Heavy Dialog Movies from some of the best actors and writers.
    I'll hold back my comments to prevent any spoilers.
    The first movie is from the same writer (Paddy Chayefsky) that gave us Network.
    Network is the better movie as it goes harder and doesn't disguise itself.
    Sorry, that could be considered a spoiler, but the movie/writing is realistic enough.
    Google thinks it is part of the Criterion Collection, but I read comments that it isn't.
    So, I looked it up in three different locations and it wasn't on any of their lists or channels.
    I should mention that Network came out 5 years later.
    Chayefsky probably had enough clout now to go harder.
    I kept thinking how did they get the Metropolitan Hospital Center, in New York City, to sign off on filming here?
    I mean the film is basically blasting the medical profession, lol.
    The irony of a hospital getting paid for film rights when they are supposed to be healing people.
    Anyways...

    The Hospital (1971)
    George C. Scott
    "We cure nothing! We heal nothing! The whole (censored) wretched world, strangulating in front of our eyes."

    In the same vein as our first feature, we get another movie that isn't as good as its predecessor, Five Easy Pieces.
    (Five Easy Pieces is damn near a biography of my first 35 years on Earth)
    Same Director and his same pal, Jack Nicholson.
    We get Bruce Dern as his brother.
    He's a bit over the top in this but I've known the type that he is portraying.

    The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
    Last edited by monet; 06-22-2024 at 04:22 PM.

  15. #1075
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Alright, 70s Double Feature.
    Required viewing for Film Buffs.
    Heavy Dialog Movies from some of the best actors and writers.
    I'll hold back my comments to prevent any spoilers.
    The first movie is from the same writer (Paddy Chayefsky) that gave us Network.
    Network is the better movie as it goes harder and doesn't disguise itself.
    Sorry, that could be considered a spoiler, but the movie/writing is realistic enough.
    Google thinks it is part of the Criterion Collection, but I read comments that it isn't.
    So, I looked it up in three different locations and it wasn't on any of their lists or channels.
    I should mention that Network came out 5 years later.
    Chayefsky probably had enough clout now to go harder.
    I kept thinking how did they get the Metropolitan Hospital Center, in New York City, to sign off on filming here?
    I mean the film is basically blasting the medical profession, lol.
    The irony of a hospital getting paid for film rights when they are supposed to be healing people.
    Anyways...

    The Hospital (1971)
    George C. Scott
    "We cure nothing! We heal nothing! The whole (censored) wretched world, strangulating in front of our eyes."

    In the same vein as our first feature, we get another movie that isn't as good as its predecessor, Five Easy Pieces.
    (Five Easy Pieces is damn near a biography of my first 35 years on Earth)
    Same Director and his same pal, Jack Nicholson.
    We get Bruce Dern as his brother.
    He's a bit over the top in this but I've known the type that he is portraying.

    The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
    Thanks for the recos Monet, I'll check them out.

  16. #1076
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
    Ok, I got to hit the boardwalk after the winter break. Nice departure for Jack, who usually plays extroverts - definitely shows his range and why he is famous. thanks again for the reco M8.
    Name:  HZrITHX.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  298.2 KBName:  WYirSrD.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  361.7 KB

  17. #1077
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
    Ok, I got to hit the boardwalk after the winter break. Nice departure for Jack, who usually plays extroverts - definitely shows his range and why he is famous. thanks again for the reco M8.
    No Worries.
    Nice Catch with the Picture and PokeRino by the way!
    I was going through more movies from the 70s.
    It dawned on me that the 70s were far more diverse than the 2020's.
    So many films that were produced by black men and black actors.
    Here are a couple I think you might enjoy, if you haven't already.

    Across 110th Street (1972) Anthony Quinn - Yaphet Kotto
    "If you steal 300,000 from the mob, it's not robbery. It's Suicide!

    The Wilby Conspiracy (1975)
    Sidney Poitier
    Michael Caine

    Might as well throw in one more to complete the trifecta...

    The Organization (1971)
    Sidney Poitier as Virgil Tibbs

  18. #1078
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Here are a couple I think you might enjoy, if you haven't already.

    Across 110th Street (1972) Anthony Quinn - Yaphet Kotto
    "If you steal 300,000 from the mob, it's not robbery. It's Suicide!

    The Wilby Conspiracy (1975)
    Sidney Poitier
    Michael Caine

    Might as well throw in one more to complete the trifecta...

    The Organization (1971)
    Sidney Poitier as Virgil Tibbs
    Thanks for the recos Monet, I haven't seen these, or don't remember seeing them at first glance and will check them out.

  19. #1079
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Across 110th Street (1972) Anthony Quinn - Yaphet Kotto
    "If you steal 300,000 from the mob, it's not robbery. It's Suicide!
    Now that was some brutal shit. One of the main takes I got from this movie was that if you can get a hold of an automatic weapon, you can prolong your life for a few more minutes. Also, Campbell Soup can get you from being sick in bed, to running around rooftops, climbing fire escapes and taking out mobsters and cops with an automatic weapon in no time flat. Plenty of realistic elements too, like how a cop can be on the take, but also still have an interest in getting criminals. Great scenery of 70's New York City.

    I appreciate the reco.

  20. #1080
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Across 110th Street (1972) Anthony Quinn - Yaphet Kotto
    "If you steal 300,000 from the mob, it's not robbery. It's Suicide!
    Now that was some brutal shit. One of the main takes I got from this movie was that if you can get a hold of an automatic weapon, you can prolong your life for a few more minutes. Also, Campbell Soup can get you from being sick in bed, to running around rooftops, climbing fire escapes and taking out mobsters and cops with an automatic weapon in no time flat. Plenty of realistic elements too, like how a cop can be on the take, but also still have an interest in getting criminals. Great scenery of 70's New York City.

    I appreciate the reco.
    lul, well it wasn't Campbells Soup even though I know you were kidding.
    He was an epileptic, and his girl brought his medicine to him.
    I get the feeling that he had some time to take a few doses, rest and eat a little bit.
    Anyways, I enjoyed the movie too.
    Very Raw with a lot of real life derogatory language.

    -------------------------

    I watched Oppenheimer today and my gut feelings about the movie were wrong.
    It's highly entertaining at times.
    Good Musical Score.
    Nice Cinematography with some nice wide-angle shots.
    I do not see the reason for the sex scene on the chair in the backdoor court room.
    I get it though.
    Sex Sales.
    That scene is just a bit uncomfortable since everyone else is dressed in the room and his wife is right there.
    I get it.
    Shock Value.
    Another problem with the movie is the ongoing music.
    They don't need to run 3-hour long music constantly during the film.
    It would be more impactful in many of those scenes if it was just dialog and no music.
    Nolan really went cray cray with never-ending pulse pounding epic music.
    It's good but it also gets annoying after a while, being that the movie is 3 hours long.
    I held out a long time but glad I finally viewed it.
    I think that if you watch the Paul Newman version Fat Man and Little Boy (1989) first that it compliments what Nolan was doing here.
    It kind of reinforces this newer version.
    In my opinion, Oppenheimer is the better version of this story.
    But I don't mind long winded movies.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Identify poker movie
    By SLaPiNFuNK in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2021, 03:54 PM
  2. My Latest Movie Ratings
    By mr jjj in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 04:05 AM
  3. The best Las Vegas movie scenes
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
  4. Political undertones in The Ides of March movie
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  5. Discount Movie Theaters
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Movies, Media, and Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •