Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I probably watched this movie years ago and forgot about it.
    It was ok, better than most things made today but not a reco for this thread.
    More of a; "hey if you got nothing better to do or watch kind of a thing."
    I like the premise and I think most of us could rewrite and edit a better story.
    The movie runs too long and the story is a bit too choppy and very unrealistic most of the time.
    It has higher reviews on IMDB that I could ever imagine.
    Not sure what they were watching lol?
    Aidan Quinn as a Cuban American with an Irish American Mother... odd lol.
    The movie ends the same way Salvador (1986) ended but Salvador is worthy of rewatching and owns a spot in my DvD Collection.
    Even though I bought this movie, I do not anticipate a rewatch within the decade.
    Sheer Economics got me to purchase it as it was only a dollar more compared to renting it.
    I liked when the Covert Russian Hit Squad got to work, near the end, but hard to believe they fell for what they fell for.
    Thanks Monet - I don't recall seeing this one. Remember The Jackal, with Bruce Willis, which came out the same year - I suspect they are based on the same character and have some overlap, but I would have to see The Assignment to confirm that suspicion.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks Monet - I don't recall seeing this one. Remember The Jackal, with Bruce Willis, which came out the same year - I suspect they are based on the same character and have some overlap, but I would have to see The Assignment to confirm that suspicion.
    Similar Premise.
    Similar Jackal.
    Similarly Disjointed Movie.
    That seems to be the common theme for all "Jackal" movies.
    Even The Day of The Jackal (1973) has similar issues.
    That's not a bad movie either but all three movies feel funny.
    I think the assignment had the best angle of all three movies.
    That movie just needs some rewrites, cuts and edits.
    The ending needs more shock value or at the very least more ambiguity.
    And we don't need all those cheesy blow up scenes.
    This must of been close to the start of CGI.
    I'm betting that the studio executives got involved and messed up the storyline/movie/ending.
    It feels like the writer/director wanted to go in a darker direction when I watched it.

Similar Premise.
    Similar Jackal.
    Similarly Disjointed Movie.
    That seems to be the common theme for all "Jackal" movies.
    Even The Day of The Jackal (1973) has similar issues.
    That's not a bad movie either but all three movies feel funny.
    I think the assignment had the best angle of all three movies.
    That movie just needs some rewrites, cuts and edits.
    The ending needs more shock value or at the very least more ambiguity.
    And we don't need all those cheesy blow up scenes.
    This must of been close to the start of CGI.
    I'm betting that the studio executives got involved and messed up the storyline/movie/ending.
    It feels like the writer/director wanted to go in a darker direction when I watched it.
    I appreciate your insightful take on The Assignment. I'm looking forward to viewing it based on that as well as for the nostalgia I have for the vibe those late 90's movies give off. As for Day of The Jackal, I did watch it once I believe, but it was such a long time ago that I would have to watch it again to remember it.
    Last edited by tableplay; 05-18-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    That's an interesting analysis of the movie "Spinning Man" and the dynamics between Pierce Brosnan's and Guy Pearce's characters. It's true that throughout the film, there is uncertainty surrounding the guilt or innocence of Guy Pearce's character in relation to the high school student's death.

Your perspective on the likelihood of Guy Pearce's character being innocent based on the forensic evidence and the absence of incriminating evidence in the car makes sense. It highlights the complexities of the story and the different layers of suspense and ambiguity that contribute to its Hitchcockian atmosphere.

It's fascinating how interpretations and theories can vary among viewers, and discussions like these add to the intrigue and enjoyment of the film.
    Edward are you familiar with chatGPT and/or other Large Language Model apps ?
    Yeah! I am familiar with that but what's the point why are you asking me that again and again?
    IMHO, this sort of technology will figure prominently in the future of movie making.

It was ok, better than most things made today but not a reco for this thread.
    More of a; "hey if you got nothing better to do or watch kind of a thing."
    I like the premise and I think most of us could rewrite and edit a better story.
    I watched the movie. Your opinion of the movie was accurate in my opinion. One has to suspend belief quite a bit to believe that two individuals who are not genetically related look like identical twins. I liked the twist where the French secret service shook things up out of nowhere.Thanks for posting about this movie - I'm glad I saw it.

No Worries tableplay.
    There's a great movie there.
    You just have to rewrite and edit it for yourself.
    In my version, he kills the spider at the end.

I watched the new version of Marlowe just now.
    Train Wreck.
    Horrible Movie.
    Not even close to being Noir.
    So bad.
    I didn't think it could be that bad.
    I feel really let down about them doing this to Phillip Marlowe.
    The only thing worse is what they did to Indiana Jones in Part 4 and now 5.

No Worries tableplay.
    There's a great movie there.
    You just have to rewrite and edit it for yourself.
    In my version, he kills the spider at the end.

I watched the new version of Marlowe just now.
    Train Wreck.
    Horrible Movie.
    Not even close to being Noir.
    So bad.
    I didn't think it could be that bad.
    I feel really let down about them doing this to Phillip Marlowe.
    The only thing worse is what they did to Indiana Jones in Part 4 and now 5.
    Yes, I agree, it would have been cool if Carlos had managed to switch places and burned the spider at the end. Thanks for the tip regarding Marlowe. I had a similar experience with the new Dungeons and Dragons movie a couple weeks ago. It was unbelievably horrible (a simplistic wokefest nightmare). I like sword and sorcery movies so I took the bait.

Yes, I agree, it would have been cool if Carlos had managed to switch places and burned the spider at the end. Thanks for the tip regarding Marlowe. I had a similar experience with the new Dungeons and Dragons movie a couple weeks ago. It was unbelievably horrible (a simplistic wokefest nightmare). I like sword and sorcery movies so I took the bait.
    He doesn't have to kill the spider but give us more ambiguity.
    At the end of this movie I'm 95% sure the good guy won.
    I want the ending to give me more of a 50/50 or 60/40 feeling.

Marlowe wasn't Woke but the writing was incredibly boring and seemed to drone on and on about nothing.
    The whole movie just felt odd or wrong.
    Everything was too clean or too clear for that time period.
    An Irish Philip Marlowe doesn't make sense to me.
    You have to eventually watch it and judge it for yourself.
    I'll stick with Powell, Bogart, Garner, Mitchum... etc. etc.
    I really enjoy Elliott Goulds altered depiction of Marlowe and that movie just has better flow/suspense.
    Anyways...whatever

Probably the best upload to YouTube that I have found.
    Probably Susan Haywards best movie or close to it.
    Before CGI so other tricks were used but I'm guessing they started some real fires as well.
    Corny? Maybe.
    Cheesy? Maybe.
    Politically Incorrect using the word REDSKIN? Priceless!
    I liked it.
    But I like a lot of music and movies from the 40s, 50s and on up to the modern day.

Tulsa (1949)

Probably the best upload to YouTube that I have found.
    Probably Susan Haywards best movie or close to it.
    Before CGI so other tricks were used but I'm guessing they started some real fires as well.
    Corny? Maybe.
    Cheesy? Maybe.
    Politically Incorrect using the word REDSKIN? Priceless!
    I liked it.
    But I like a lot of music and movies from the 40s, 50s and on up to the modern day.

Tulsa (1949)
    Thanks for the reco Monet.

If you don't own a copy, I noticed they put it on YouTube for free.
    The only reason they got Sydow is because one of his kids liked Bob and Doug.
    In my opinion, this is the continuation of Ming the Merciless, as in 1980, he apparently survived at the end.
    He is obviously using that character, in this, and has a couple of scenes that are exact copies from Flash Gordon.
    Instead of Level 6 he says Level 5 in Strange Brew... etc. etc.

If you don't own a copy, I noticed they put it on YouTube for free.
    The only reason they got Sydow is because one of his kids liked Bob and Doug.
    In my opinion, this is the continuation of Ming the Merciless, as in 1980, he apparently survived at the end.
    He is obviously using that character, in this, and has a couple of scenes that are exact copies from Flash Gordon.
    Instead of Level 6 he says Level 5 in Strange Brew... etc. etc.
    It has been a long time since I saw this, but I remember it was quite funny - great point about Ming the Merciless who was perfectly played by Max. You'll recall the movie was a result of the big success of the SCTV Great White North/McKenzie Brothers sketches (much like the terrific Waynes' World movies sprung from the Wayne and Garth SNL super funny sketches [and Wayne was, in turn, brought to SNL via the Canadian TV series City Limits where I believe Mike Myers first introduced the Wayne character - I never saw this series but I might check it out]). A lot of great talent came from SCTV like John Candy as you know. Thanks for the reco.
    Last edited by tableplay; 05-24-2023 at 04:51 AM.

It has been a long time since I saw this, but I remember it was quite funny - great point about Ming the Merciless who was perfectly played by Max. You'll recall the movie was a result of the big success of the SCTV Great White North/McKenzie Brothers sketches (much like the terrific Waynes' World movies sprung from the Wayne and Garth SNL super funny sketches [and Wayne was, in turn, brought to SNL via the Canadian TV series City Limits where I believe Mike Myers first introduced the Wayne character - I never saw this series but I might check it out]). A lot of great talent came from SCTV like John Candy as you know. Thanks for the reco.
    Funny how you could use stereotypical humor back then and nobody got upset, in fact they embraced it!
    You couldn't make any of that today.

The ending of that clip you posted said:
    It's Great.
    Its White.
    And it's North!
    So, take off eh.

Imagine the backlash from the alphabet community on Twitter today.
    Bob and Doug would be immediately canceled.

Funny how you could use stereotypical humor back then and nobody got upset, in fact they embraced it!
    You couldn't make any of that today.

The ending of that clip you posted said:
    It's Great.
    Its White.
    And it's North!
    So, take off eh.

Imagine the backlash from the alphabet community on Twitter today.
    Bob and Doug would be immediately canceled.
    Yes exactly. I'm glad we can enjoy the large body of great material from years past at a time before the Woketards took everything over.

Ever notice how every once in awhile you stumble across something really cool that is totally unexpected?

That just happened to me; checking local movie listings a movie with a weird name caught my eye so I checked it on Rotten Tomatoes.

Great ratings; checked the trailer and "Holy shit, this flick is for me !"

My buddy and I saw it yesterday afternoon and walked out of the theater thoroughly entertained and pleased with what we'd just watched on screen.

Definitely NORT a date flick, not a chick flick.

"Sisu."

A Finnish film.

What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Ever notice how every once in awhile you stumble across something really cool that is totally unexpected?

That just happened to me; checking local movie listings a movie with a weird name caught my eye so I checked it on Rotten Tomatoes.

Great ratings; checked the trailer and "Holy shit, this flick is for me !"

My buddy and I saw it yesterday afternoon and walked out of the theater thoroughly entertained and pleased with what we'd just watched on screen.

Definitely NORT a date flick, not a chick flick.

"Sisu."

A Finnish film.
    Never heard of it. thanks Mr. V.

I was having an argument with myself today that Russel Crowe is in this Soccer Movie.
    Turns out that I was wrong about that.
    Just some no name Scottish Doppelganger who actually played the game professionally.
    I used to go to the movies and pay for one and sneak around till they closed.
    I'd watch 5 or 6 movies depending.
    I saw this on the big screen.
    I liked it.
    You can probably find a better copy but this one is free on YouTube Currently.
    Robert Duvall is the coach and Michael Keaton has a smaller role.
    I read some ugly reviews about this movie, and it has been over 20 years since I watched it, so maybe it really isn't that good.
    You'll have to decide for yourself if you watch it.

A Shot at Glory (2000)

Turns out Ally McCoist isn't Scottish, and he's sort of a big deal in Fútbol.
    Who knew!?

Turns out Ally McCoist isn't Scottish, and he's sort of a big deal in Fútbol.
    Who knew!?
    Thanks for the reco Monet. I have not seen it and so I will check it out. I too used to movie hop after I bought a ticket for a movie. Then they wised up and started staggering movie times. And finally, now, stadium seating. No wonder no one goes to the movies anymore.

I was having an argument with myself today that Russel Crowe is in this Soccer Movie.
    Turns out that I was wrong about that.
    Just some no name Scottish Doppelganger who actually played the game professionally.
    I used to go to the movies and pay for one and sneak around till they closed.
    I'd watch 5 or 6 movies depending.
    I saw this on the big screen.
    I liked it.
    You can probably find a better copy but this one is free on YouTube Currently.
    Robert Duvall is the coach and Michael Keaton has a smaller role.
    I read some ugly reviews about this movie, and it has been over 20 years since I watched it, so maybe it really isn't that good.
    You'll have to decide for yourself if you watch it.

A Shot at Glory (2000)
    I enjoyed the movie Monet, thanks again for the reco.
    A few rewrites:
    1) Jackie should never have been written to take his own car to football matches from the beginning. He would have gotten iced by his team mates (or worse) no matter how talented and anyone that's played team sports knows this (it adds insult to injury that towards the end of the movie he came around in his attitude and took the team bus) as you know.
    2) Peter Cameron (Keaton) would have gotten tossed out of the team dinner party if he told everyone there that he would not move the 100 year old team to Dublin if they won the Scottish all divisions tournament. Possibly had his car tires (or bicycle stolen if he bicycled in) slashed, etc. Maybe not ran that scene or maybe rewrite the scene with him announcing a new stadium in town if they won or some other big reward. The imminent move to Dublin was already known by the town so why incite violence and risk personal harm - doesn't make sense. Really, it's hard to believe an owner would interface with the town in person if he knows the town is already aware he is going to move the team.
    3) Give the Scots some credit and use a Scotsman in the Kilnockie manager role (instead of Duvall playing a Scotsman) - maybe they figured a big star in the role would get the film more views, but I think a solid film like this would stand on its own without having to do this.

It's always fun watching the Scots, Welsh, and Irish national teams play because they have a very scrappy style of play with a high work rate so they can surprise any team in the world with this style (i.e. "winning dirty" like Brad Gilbert used to do in tennis).

Thread Information