Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    No Fair Bosox!
    Those last two movies are award winning, mainstream gems.
    You might as well list "The Last of the Mohicans" along with them!
    Just needling you because I just watched the Mohican movie, yet again, last night.
    Love that soundtrack!

I'm looking forward to watching your obscure reco "Midnight Sun" that I never heard of.
    Hopefully its not about some transgender bending theme lol... jk/jk.

I just found out it is a knock off of the original Japanese Movie (Taiyô no uta) in 2006.
    タイヨウのうた which translates... A Song to the Sun.
    After watching this Trailer I certainly will watch the original first.
    They hooked me with the song.
    I watched the American Version Trailer and it is horrible, when compared, IMO.
    That trailer actually turned me off on the 2018 version.
    I may just skip the American Remake altogether but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.
    I enjoy foreign films.
    I'm married to a Slant Eyed, so, you know.

Monet, here is the actual song link. I think that you may have found a real good one here.

A song from the 2018 version:

Last edited by BoSox; 12-04-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Garnabby should love this reco as they take 2x3x7=42 = 1942 Holocust and Nazi Typewriters with the Eagle.

Things you may have not known about The Shining or Stanley Kubrick.
    I was kind of shocked about the Playgirl Magazine and that Jack went along with it.
    Of course with Stanley Kubrick's History it all makes sense.
    It literally had an article on the cover that read...

INCEST: Why Parents Sleep With Their Children

Room 237 (2012)

This vimeo upload has the annoying light in the middle but it is free if interested.
    Youtube Trailer also provided.
    Youtube also has a somewhat jumbled HD Version if you search for it.

https://vimeo.com/143734339

I tend to believe that Eyes Wide Shut is his personal documentary of experiences.
    Although it is based on a 1962 novel, I believe he was involved in those secret societies

My Response to the beginning of Room 237:

In my opinion we did not terrify the American Indians.
    What people don't realize is that was basically the First World War.
    Not only were all the Tribes at war with one another but many countries were over here to claim the New World.
    If we didn't win our independence, this land would of been England, France, Mexico, Spain or some other country.
    Technically, France had control of a large part of the land but we bought it for pennies on the dollar.
    15 Million at the time, yes, but still pennies on the dollar.
    Nobody can stop Man and his insatiable quest or lust of greed and progress.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 12-06-2020 at 04:36 PM.

By far one of the greatest movies ever made that you may have not seen.
    Or you may have seen it but didn't have enough life experience at the time to have it resonate with you.
    Let's not forget this director would shoot only one scene per day.
    He would usually make actors do 50 to 200 takes to get what he considered to be perfection.
    Slim Pickens claimed he had to do 200 takes riding that bomb lol.
    So I have been on a Stanley Kubrick Kick lately.
    Sorry, Not Sorry!

Many people currently claim they do not enjoy Classical Music.
    I do not believe this.
    I believe they don't realize how much they do enjoy it.
    This is because it is woven or ingrained in everything we hear.
    By far a great film that has a better soundtrack.

We are on its 45th Anniversary.
    A movie that had a special camera lens inspired by NASA, made by Carl Zeiss.
    This is so they could film all the candle light scenes.
    Do yourself a favor and read up on the Trivia if you are a Film Buff.
    Kubrick had to flee Ireland and reshoot in England because the IRA was about to assassinate him.
    If you enjoyed Ryan O'Neal in The Driver or perhaps Love Story, you might also enjoy him in...

Barry Lyndon (1975)

Nominated for 7 Academy Awards and won 4.

(3:10) Captain Grogan: I've only a hundred guineas left to give you for I lost the rest at cards last night!

(3:56) Narrator: It is well to dream of glorious war in a snug armchair at home, but it is a very different thing to see it first hand.

Last edited by monet; 12-08-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Barry Lyndon seems like it would be a good movie but that was only because of the lead in the opera song in the other thread, sure.

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Barry Lyndon seems like it would be a good movie but that was only because of the lead in the opera song in the other thread, sure.
    I continue to interact with you because I feel great empathy for you.

A person who doesn't enjoy epics or specific classical music most likely will not enjoy films such as Barry Lyndon.
    One interesting story about Barry Lyndon is that Kubrick wanted to do a Biopic on Napolean.
    Which makes no sense to me because how was he ever going to outdo Sergei Bondarchuk's Waterloo (1970)??
    I can not see how it would be possible!?
    Waterloo used over 15,000 Russian Soldiers as extras and killed thousands of actual horses for the realism of the scenes.
    The real life battle of Waterloo had an estimated loss of 20,000 horses!

Waterloo spent around 38 US Million Dollars and was one of the most expensive movies of its day.
    The critics hated it and it bombed financially.
    One of the reasons Kubrick had to cancel his Biopic of Napoleon is because Waterloo was not a financial success.
    However, we the people, love the film but like many of these films it took time for us to comprehend and appreciate them.
    Decades of time.
    Barry Lyndon is very similar in how it took time to gain traction but at least it actually made some money at the box office.
    Thankfully, Kubrick settled on Barry Lyndon over Napoleon otherwise we wouldn't have this masterpiece.

If you do not enjoy entertainment such as Shakespeare, Operas, Symphonies and the like you will not enjoy Barry Lyndon.
    I could list the films that compare but I will most likely recommend them in this thread eventually.
    Honestly, we will never see films like Waterloo or Barry Lyndon again along with a handful of others.
    It's over but thankfully we are able to actually view them today.

If the music below doesn't move your soul, I am afraid you are better off watching the John Wick Trilogy and eating popcorn...

Last edited by monet; 12-08-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Monet, that Bach Day 8 very well may be a wonderful number but I am just not cultured nearly enough to appreciate it. Give me Alison Krauss, and Union Station any day.

Wait a minute there were two symphony numbers that I liked in separate movies:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zxOrfu9JT3xve7

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zPy5F4fys7RDva

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MnqpUu-slagxpz
    Last edited by BoSox; 12-08-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I continue to interact with you because I feel great empathy for you.

A person who doesn't enjoy epics or specific classical music most likely will not enjoy films such as Barry Lyndon.
    One interesting story about Barry Lyndon is that Kubrick wanted to do a Biopic on Napolean.
    Which makes no sense to me because how was he ever going to outdo Sergei Bondarchuk's Waterloo (1970)??
    I can not see how it would be possible!?
    Waterloo used over 15,000 Russian Soldiers as extras and killed thousands of actual horses for the realism of the scenes.
    The real life battle of Waterloo had an estimated loss of 20,000 horses!

Waterloo spent around 38 US Million Dollars and was one of the most expensive movies of its day.
    The critics hated it and it bombed financially.
    One of the reasons Kubrick had to cancel his Biopic of Napoleon is because Waterloo was not a financial success.
    However, we the people, love the film but like many of these films it took time for us to comprehend and appreciate them.
    Decades of time.
    Barry Lyndon is very similar in how it took time to gain traction but at least it actually made some money at the box office.
    Thankfully, Kubrick settled on Barry Lyndon over Napoleon otherwise we wouldn't have this masterpiece.

If you do not enjoy entertainment such as Shakespeare, Operas, Symphonies and the like you will not enjoy Barry Lyndon.
    I could list the films that compare but I will most likely recommend them in this thread eventually.
    Honestly, we will never see films like Waterloo or Barry Lyndon again along with a handful of others.
    It's over but thankfully we are able to actually view them today.

If the music below doesn't move your soul, I am afraid you are better off watching the John Wick Trilogy and eating popcorn...

Well Monet how do you like this Stanley Kubrick movie?

Not to get you guys off track, I caught a movie the other night that was on FX. Fairly recent (2018) and mainstream? Wondering if you guys have seen Bad Times at the El Royale. Kind of a quirky thriller that doesn't follow a straight timeline a la Tarantino, but directed by Drew Goddard and stars Jeff Bridges among others. Pretty good.

Still trying to find the time to catch The Only Game In Town. I'm a sucker for good craps table scenes.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Not to get you guys off track, I caught a movie the other night that was on FX. Fairly recent (2018) and mainstream? Wondering if you guys have seen Bad Times at the El Royale. Kind of a quirky thriller that doesn't follow a straight timeline a la Tarantino, but directed by Drew Goddard and stars Jeff Bridges among others. Pretty good.

Still trying to find the time to catch The Only Game In Town. I'm a sucker for good craps table scenes.
    Thanks Danny, I looked into it and it seems that Crackle has this movie. So I can screen-mirror it to my friend/roommate's Smart TV from the Crackle app on a smartphone dedicated to the purpose (no phone service on it - just apps). I plan to watch it in the next couple days assuming that the Crackle website is correct that they do carry it.

Best, TP.

Thanks, DannyJ I have previously seen that movie and thought it was pretty good with some intense scenes.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post

Danny thanks again for the reco. I was able to watch the movie through a putlocker type of website because Crackle didn't make it available this month. I enjoyed the movie especially for the twists and turns it provided the viewer.

I bought the original Midnight Sun (Song to the Sun) 2006 off of Amazon for 12 dollars.
    The DvD is Region 3 but it worked on my playstation 4.
    It also works on my pc.
    I ripped it but had trouble ripping the subtitles along with it.
    I ripped it again with VLC and the subtitles work but can't upload it to youtube.
    I have to change the format, shrink it and upload it and do other things to avoid the Copyright Monster.

Perhaps I will get it uploaded eventually so you all can watch it.
    IMO the movie isn't worth watching.
    The perspective is odd since you are looking through the girls eyes.
    It has this uncomfortable stalker feeling to it.
    I guess if you are a girl stalking a boy it is ok with society.
    A few good moments and scenes in the movie but if fell very flat.
    Worth the 12 dollars.
    If someone wanted the DvD I would just mail it to them for free.

I bought the original Midnight Sun (Song to the Sun) 2006 off of Amazon for 12 dollars.
    The DvD is Region 3 but it worked on my playstation 4.
    It also works on my pc.
    I ripped it but had trouble ripping the subtitles along with it.
    I ripped it again with VLC and the subtitles work but can't upload it to youtube.
    I have to change the format, shrink it and upload it and do other things to avoid the Copyright Monster.

Perhaps I will get it uploaded eventually so you all can watch it.
    IMO the movie isn't worth watching.
    The perspective is odd since you are looking through the girls eyes.
    It has this uncomfortable stalker feeling to it.
    I guess if you are a girl stalking a boy it is ok with society.
    A few good moments and scenes in the movie but if fell very flat.
    Worth the 12 dollars.
    If someone wanted the DvD I would just mail it to them for free.

Thank you for the offer, I'll take a pass, it is so disappointing though as I thought it was going to be a great movie.
    Last edited by BoSox; 12-23-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks Monet, I am not planning to see the movie based on your synopsis.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks Monet, I am not planning to see the movie based on your synopsis.
    Worth a watch if you have free time and its available.
    You, BoSox or others may enjoy it more or get more emotionally involved with it compared to me.
    For some reason I kept getting a large disconnect with the characters.
    Something was wrong with the pace of the movie.
    Sometimes I need multiple viewings, over time, to see if I can get more involved.
    They have this scene with a bunch of sunflowers and I really liked that.
    Anyways, you have to make your own choices and I don't think you are missing anything spectacular if you never watch this movie.

If you want to get into Japanese Movies, I highly recommend this free one on youtube.
    However, you have to jump through some hoops to get the subtitles in English.
    Either way, if you never seen this movie you may want to put it on your list.

The Face of Another 1966

Sticking with the Japanese Theme this one is free as well.
    The subtitles work much better.
    It is very hard to believe that this movie was made in the late 80s.

Black Rain 1989

Not sure if you guys actually have the time and desire to watch Japanese Films but I can think of about 20 that are worth the time.
    Most of them are in Black and White.

Last edited by monet; 12-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Monet, during the beginning of your recent unforseen absence from the site I made a few "I hope that you take it that way" innocent humorous jokes about you and your dogs again, and I am not sure if you were following the board while your inlaws were sick? Anyway, I do not want to be sneaky about this, as you can find the posts on page 97 of the Mdawg thread post #1928 and 1933.

Sticking with the Japanese Theme this one is free as well.
    The subtitles work much better.
    It is very hard to believe that this movie was made in the late 80s.

Black Rain 1989

Not sure if you guys actually have the time and desire to watch Japanese Films but I can think of about 20 that are worth the time.
    Most of them are in Black and White.

Hi Monet, thanks for the Japanese recos. I did see the American movie Black Rain (which took place in Japan and dealt with Yakuza IIRC) with Michael Douglas and enjoyed it (as a period piece). Since I haven't seen the version you recommended I have no idea if the Amercian one is a remake. Worth a watch if you guys haven't seen it.

Just watched "A Brilliant Young Mind."

A must-see for the math-minded among you.

What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Just watched "A Brilliant Young Mind."

A must-see for the math-minded among you.

Thanks Mr. V. I will watch it.

Thread Information