Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Watched a surprisingly good Korean action / adventure film loosely based on Sergio Leone's masterpiece: "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."
    Thanks MrV.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Watched a surprisingly good Korean action / adventure film loosely based on Sergio Leone's masterpiece: "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."
    Seen it when it first came out 12 to 13 years ago.
    Good enough for a viewing but not something I re-watch.
    Only watched it that one time and didn't think about it till you mentioned it.

Colin Quinn with some of his Obscure and Foreign Movie Recommendations.
    The good news is that I haven't seen many of them so it appears I can expand my viewing history once again.
    I dress and look a little bit like this guy lol.

Some of the Criterion Movies Mentioned or Shown:
    1) Mona Lisa / 1986 / Dir. Neil Jordan
    2) Big Deal on Madonna Street / 1958 / Mario Monicelli
    3) Rififi / 1955 / Jules Dassin
    4) My Life as a Dog / 1985 / Lasse Hallström
    5) Le Petit Soldat / 1963 / Jean-Luc Godard
    6) The Colour of Paradise / 1999 / Majid Majidi
    7) Roma / 1973 / Federico Fellini
    8) Something Wild / 1961 / Jeff Garfein
    9) Smithereens / 1982 / Susan Seidelman
    10) Naked / 1993 / Mike Leigh
    11) Claudine / 1974 / John Berry

Last edited by monet; 11-18-2021 at 02:22 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Colin Quinn with some of his Obscure and Foreign Movie Recommendations.
    The good news is that I haven't seen many of them so it appears I can expand my viewing history once again.
    I dress and look a little bit like this guy lol.

Some of the Criterion Movies Mentioned or Shown:
    1) Mona Lisa / 1986 / Dir. Neil Jordan
    2) Big Deal on Madonna Street / 1958 / Mario Monicelli
    3) Rififi / 1955 / Jules Dassin
    4) My Life as a Dog / 1985 / Lasse Hallström
    5) Le Petit Soldat / 1963 / Jean-Luc Godard
    6) The Colour of Paradise / 1999 / Majid Majidi
    7) Roma / 1973 / Federico Fellini
    8) Something Wild / 1961 / Jeff Garfein
    9) Smithereens / 1982 / Susan Seidelman
    10) Naked / 1993 / Mike Leigh
    11) Claudine / 1974 / John Berry
    I'm in almost the same boat - I haven't seen any of these. I remember Colin from his MTV days - pretty funny guy.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I'm in almost the same boat - I haven't seen any of these. I remember Colin from his MTV days - pretty funny guy.
    That's a bit of an understatement lol.
    The guy is Fucking Hilarious.
    If you haven't seen some of his one man shows I suggest you search them out.
    He has done 3 or 4 in the last 10 years or so and he highlights politics and history.
    He has been writing for a very long time behind the scenes for many of the great comedians and shows.
    He is known as a comedians comedian.
    Seinfeld has been producing his shows for some time now.
    Colin is currently running a show on Broadway called the Last Best Hope and I think he is going to tour it to a few different cities.
    He has never done that as he always keeps the show in New York.
    I wouldn't doubt that some of his material is getting a bit redundant as this is his fourth show around similar topics.
    His movie selections might be a little too artsy for many people but I'm guessing the list has a few gems.
    If you do watch Roma, make sure you get the 1972 version and not the 2018 movie with the same title lol.

I recently watched his show "Long Story Short" from 2011 again.
    It still stands up IMO.
    In the last ten years you can see how he has become more refined in his story telling.

The other three shows are:
    2015 Unconstitutional
    2016 The New York Story
    2019 Red State Blue State

In 1992 he did a show called One Night Stand but its a 30 minute spot on HBO that isn't really worth highlighting unless you really enjoy watching Stand Up.

Last edited by monet; 11-18-2021 at 04:54 PM.

That's a bit of an understatement lol.
    The guy is Fucking Hilarious.
    If you haven't seen some of his one man shows I suggest you search them out.
    He has done 3 or 4 in the last 10 years or so and he highlights politics and history.
    He has been writing for a very long time behind the scenes for many of the great comedians and shows.
    He is known as a comedians comedian.
    Seinfeld has been producing his shows for some time now.
    Colin is currently running a show on Broadway called the Last Best Hope and I think he is going to tour it to a few different cities.
    He has never done that as he always keeps the show in New York.
    I wouldn't doubt that some of his material is getting a bit redundant as this is his fourth show around similar topics.
    His movie selections might be a little too artsy for many people but I'm guessing the list has a few gems.
    If you do watch Roma, make sure you get the 1972 version and not the 2018 movie with the same title lol.

I recently watched his show "Long Story Short" from 2011 again.
    It still stands up IMO.
    In the last ten years you can see how he has become more refined in his story telling.
    Thanks Monet, I'll check out some of his one man shows.

You might like them since you enjoy George Carlin.
    Similar Styles.
    Both Irishmen.
    Carlin was more Boston and obviously Colin bleeds New York.
    The nice thing about stand up is you can either fast forward or shut it off if you are not in the mood or don't find it funny.
    I'm probably biased with Colin because I enjoy his style and I enjoy History and he talks a lot about it.

Similar Styles.
    Both Irishmen.
    The nice thing about stand up is you can either fast forward or shut it off if you are not in the mood or don't find it funny.
    I'm probably biased with Colin because I enjoy his style and I enjoy History and he talks a lot about it.
    I just put together a youtube playlist which includes the Long Story Short and One Night Stand (1992) along with a couple interviews (Bennington Unmasked and Tim Meadows). I agree that the history stuff should be great too (I did see some 50 states roasts on youtube and those may contain some historical content - and of course Long Story Short will have historical content per the youtube liner).
    Cheers, TP.

Similar Styles.
    Both Irishmen.
    I just put together a youtube playlist which includes the Long Story Short and One Night Stand (1992) along with a couple interviews (Bennington Unmasked and Tim Meadows). I agree that the history stuff should be great too (I did see some 50 states roasts on youtube and those may contain some historical content - and of course Long Story Short will have historical content per the youtube liner).
    Cheers, TP.
    I didn't realize Colin was a very solid impressionist until watching Long Story Short. Since I watch snippets of the Anthony Cumia show on Youtube, I will definitely watch some of those episode snippets where Colin is on. Anyway I look forward to watching more of his material after watching the playlist - really funny stuff. I also watched the Marauders and thought it was pretty good. I attempted to watch East of the Mountains but the media wasn't accepted on the Smart TV I tried to see it on so I will try to find a different download site for it. Thanks again for the recos.

I didn't realize Colin was a very solid impressionist until watching Long Story Short. Since I watch snippets of the Anthony Cumia show on Youtube, I will definitely watch some of those episode snippets where Colin is on. Anyway I look forward to watching more of his material after watching the playlist - really funny stuff. I also watched the Marauders and thought it was pretty good. I attempted to watch East of the Mountains but the media wasn't accepted on the Smart TV I tried to see it on so I will try to find a different download site for it. Thanks again for the recos.
    IMO his material gets better and of course it is more relevant since you are watching something that is 10 to 29 years old.
    Unconstitutional 2015 holds up since he is using a tavern as his vehicle about the politics around the time of the birth of the United States.
    New York Story 2016 is pretty good and he focuses more on ethnic culture around New York City which they have plenty of.
    Red State Blue State 2019 focuses on the comedy of Democrats vs. Republicans.
    I find it enjoyable because he bashes both sides for the most part.
    I feel that all 4 shows are worth re-watching.

I'm looking forward to when his new show "The Last Best Hope" airs.
    I suppose it will be awhile since he is currently preforming and going to tour it.
    I like his style, the way he hesitates.
    It's very East Coast, New York.
    I miss that culture being in Vegas now 30+ years.

The Marauders was good for what it is.
    Good enough of a movie if you have nothing better to do while everyone else is sleeping.
    Better than what you would expect of a modern Bruce Willis B Movie.
    I like East of the Mountains because it deals with old age, terminal illness and wanting to blow your head off with a shotgun in the mountains.
    I tend to like Tom Skerritts acting.
    The movie dipped into some Social Justice Bullshit and it wasn't brave enough to give us the ending we deserved but still worth a viewing or two.

Last edited by monet; 11-19-2021 at 04:32 AM.

IMO his material gets better and of course it is more relevant since you are watching something that is 10 to 29 years old.
    Unconstitutional 2015 holds up since he is using a tavern as his vehicle about the politics around the time of the birth of the United States.
    New York Story 2016 is pretty good and he focuses more on ethnic culture around New York City which they have plenty of.
    Red State Blue State 2019 focuses on the comedy of Democrats vs. Republicans.
    I find it enjoyable because he bashes both sides for the most part.
    I feel that all 4 shows are worth re-watching.

I'm looking forward to when his new show "The Last Best Hope" airs.
    I suppose it will be awhile since he is currently preforming and going to tour it.
    I like his style, the way he hesitates.
    It's very East Coast, New York.
    I miss that culture being in Vegas now 30+ years.

The Marauders was good for what it is.
    Good enough of a movie if you have nothing better to do while everyone else is sleeping.
    Better than what you would expect of a modern Bruce Willis B Movie.
    I like East of the Mountains because it deals with old age, terminal illness and wanting to blow your head off with a shotgun in the mountains.
    I tend to like Tom Skerritts acting.
    The movie dipped into some Social Justice Bullshit and it wasn't brave enough to give us the ending we deserved but still worth a viewing or two.

Great info Monet, thanks. You may have listened to this, but I haven't and this is next on the Quinn docket for me (I'll be checking out the 2015,2016, and 2019 pieces very shortly after):
    https://ogjre.com/episode/1547-colin-quinn

Great info Monet, thanks. You may have listened to this, but I haven't and this is next on the Quinn docket for me (I'll be checking out the 2015,2016, and 2019 pieces very shortly after): https://ogjre.com/episode/1547-colin-quinn
    I watched it but I will put it on again while doing dishes or something.
    Colin is one of those guys who truly Loves New York.
    I'd be surprised if he actually moved away even though his New York is long gone.

Artie Lange interviewed him awhile back if you want to listen.
    Artie really talks over his guests though lol.
    Very Aggressive as an interviewer telling his own stories.
    I still like listening to Artie depending on the guest.
    Arties new nose is difficult to look at lol.
    Lenny Dykstra was a good interview!
    Lenny Dykstra is truly a Wild Man that reminds me of the late 70's and 80's.
    IMO the Colin Quinn interview is ok but that Lenny Dykstra interview is much better.

Last edited by monet; 11-19-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Great info Monet, thanks. You may have listened to this, but I haven't and this is next on the Quinn docket for me (I'll be checking out the 2015,2016, and 2019 pieces very shortly after): https://ogjre.com/episode/1547-colin-quinn
    I watched it but I will put it on again while doing dishes or something.
    Colin is one of those guys who truly Loves New York.
    I'd be surprised if he actually moved away even though his New York is long gone.

Artie Lange interviewed him awhile back if you want to listen.
    Artie really talks over his guests though lol.
    Very Aggressive as an interviewer telling his own stories.
    I still like listening to Artie depending on the guest.
    Arties new nose is difficult to look at lol.
    Lenny Dykstra was a good interview!
    Lenny Dykstra is truly a Wild Man that reminds me of the late 70's and 80's.
    IMO the Colin Quinn interview is ok but that Lenny Dykstra interview is much better.
    Thanks Monet.

Thanks Monet.
    Certainly, my pleasure.
    I went back and listened to that Joe Rogan/Colin Quinn Interview and I remember now why its forgettable.
    They don't really talk about anything new or controversial.
    Most of its about them reminiscing the past, comedians and comedy clubs.
    They get into some JFK stuff but overall it could be considered bland.

Thanks Monet.
    Certainly, my pleasure.
    I went back and listened to that Joe Rogan/Colin Quinn Interview and I remember now why its forgettable.
    They don't really talk about anything new or controversial.
    Most of its about them reminiscing the past, comedians and comedy clubs.
    They get into some JFK stuff but overall it could be considered bland.
    Well, in any case, the Ted link you provided reminded me of how funny Ted was. I particularly enjoyed the Sam Jones appearance in Ted.

On a different note, I wonder if there will be riots if Alec Baldwin does not get put on trial for murder ;-) If he is put on trial, I wonder if there will be riots if he is found not guilty ;-) I read that there will be riots at a few spots around the United States in regards to the Rittenhouse verdict.

Well, in any case, the Ted link you provided reminded me of how funny Ted was. I particularly enjoyed the Sam Jones appearance in Ted.

On a different note, I wonder if there will be riots if Alec Baldwin does not get put on trial for murder ;-) If he is put on trial, I wonder if there will be riots if he is found not guilty ;-) I read that there will be riots at a few spots around the United States in regards to the Rittenhouse verdict.
    All that being said let us not forget the fact that I listened to the Joe Rogan/Colin Quinn Interview TWICE and that is a little over 5 hours total lol.
    But like I say, I like Talk Radio.

All that being said let us not forget the fact that I listened to the Joe Rogan/Colin Quinn Interview TWICE and that is a little over 5 hours total lol.
    But like I say, I like Talk Radio.
    I listened to the podcast. I though it was great. What I found most intriguing were the stories of pre-Giuliani New York. Colin mentioned that he did a stand-up routine centered around 80's New York danger/violence and it would be great to find that one (edit-here it is:https://123moviess.se/film/colin-qui...new-york-story). That story he told about how people made sure they were home by 9:00 PM to avoid getting iced in Times Square because the only people that were out after that were violent criminals was something. You'll recall him saying that people were actually surprised if someone made it home alive if they came back after 11:00PM. He and Joe mentioned how prior to Rudy, New York was basically run by the mob. Anyone who is a comedian or wants to be one, would get gem after gem out of this episode (for us it would be like Grosjean laying it all out there in a podcast); just non-stop insights about the business. Norm Mcdonald was still alive when this episode was created and the Norm stories were very interesting as well. Also Joe's disposition about Covid at that time compared to now (he now realizes how political Covid policy is) was great to listen to. This podcast also had some dirt on Cosby you'll recall, with Rogan recalling that he thought Cosby (harassing Wanda Sykes; Colin then mentions Cosby's oggling of Colin's hot girlfriend and Colin's friend's hot wife) was a douche even way before all the legal troubles.
    Ok so now I will try and find 80's New York mugging humor from Colin or at least stories about the violence of old New York.
    I'm glad you listened to it a 2nd time - because since it is fresh in your mind and in conjunction with my listed appreciations of the episode, you may get more nostalgia out of the episode.
    I agree with you about Talk Radio, damn it is relaxing and enjoyable to listen to all this shit.
    Last edited by tableplay; 11-19-2021 at 10:36 PM.

I listened to the podcast. I though it was great. What I found most intriguing were the stories of pre-Giuliani New York. Colin mentioned that he did a stand-up routine centered around 80's New York danger/violence and it would be great to find that one (edit-here it is:https://123moviess.se/film/colin-qui...new-york-story). That story he told about how people made sure they were home by 9:00 PM to avoid getting iced in Times Square because the only people that were out after that were violent criminals was something. You'll recall him saying that people were actually surprised if someone made it home alive if they came back after 11:00PM. He and Joe mentioned how prior to Rudy, New York was basically run by the mob. Anyone who is a comedian or wants to be one, would get gem after gem out of this episode (for us it would be like Grosjean laying it all out there in a podcast); just non-stop insights about the business. Norm Mcdonald was still alive when this episode was created and the Norm stories were very interesting as well. Also Joe's disposition about Covid at that time compared to now (he now realizes how political Covid policy is) was great to listen to. This podcast also had some dirt on Cosby you'll recall, with Rogan recalling that he thought Cosby (harassing Wanda Sykes; Colin then mentions Cosby's oggling of Colin's hot girlfriend and Colin's friend's hot wife) was a douche even way before all the legal troubles.
    Ok so now I will try and find 80's New York mugging humor from Colin or at least stories about the violence of old New York.
    I'm glad you listened to it a 2nd time - because since it is fresh in your mind and in conjunction with my listed appreciations of the episode, you may get more nostalgia out of the episode.
    I agree with you about Talk Radio, damn it is relaxing and enjoyable to listen to all this shit.
    Nice Break Down.
    I enjoyed the conversation even if I called it bland and forgettable.
    I feel the same way about all of Dave Chappelle's Interviews/Podcasts.
    I find Dave very funny on stage, on shows and in movies but boring as hell when he just shoots the shit lol.
    I'd much rather listen to Joe Rogan interview Alex Jones every week lol.
    That is always a great listen!

About Bill Cosby.
    I dunno.
    The world is a very Evil place and I get tired of everyone acted as if it isn't.

You got me on a bit of a Colin Quinn kick.
    Not the first time I've been down this road.
    Anyways... if you haven't seen this one here he is with George Carlin back in 2003.
    Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn was a pretty good show since it was sort of like podcasting before podcasting.
    Everyone said whatever was on their minds no matter who they offended.
    I think the object was to be offensive.
    Also, they produced over 200 episodes in just 2 years before the content was demmed too controversial and Colin Quinn told the Big Wigs to Go Fuck Themselves.
    Which seems odds since South Park can do and say whatever they want.
    I guess cartoon format changes everything.

Interesting Note... Greg Gutfeld basically stole the premise/concept but his show is nowhere near as good IMO.
    Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld was the first in the series.
    Obviously Fox and the Ratings disagree with me.
    The Greg Gutfeld Show is too one sided and political for my taste in comedy.
    Colin Quinn is a conservative but his comedy is far more polished and intellectual when compared.
    Colin also has a knack of relating to the common man.

I suppose Bill Maher started it before them both but I would much rather watch Dennis Miller.
    Although I have agreed with some of what Bill Maher has been saying recently.
    I still can't stand that hypocritical bastard lol.

Last edited by monet; 11-20-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Post 400 in this thread and I think I have about 250 of them!

Welp, that George Carlin one went a little too deep into pedophilia.

I watched a clip with Denis Leary on the show getting ready to throw blows lol.
    They were getting mean.

Anyways... this one is pretty good with guess who... Joe Rogan.
    Quinn gets it started with a quick rant about how anyone should be able to make fun of any race/religion or anyone.

Thread Information