Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I watched the 1947 version of Nightmare Alley. It was easier to watch than the new one because of the happier ending - which is to say that his wife did not abandon him as in the new movie and it appeared that she would help get him off the bottle and probably out of the geek role (the carnival's boss recognized him eventually which might help him get a different job there as well whereas in the new movie there was no hope for this outcome). No punches were pulled in the new movie and I felt that Bradley's Cooper's character was more evil than Tyrone Power's character (another example of this was that the wealthy mark [and his henchman] was killed by Bradley Cooper's character but not by Tyrone Power's character).
    Thanks again for the reco.
    Interesting take.
    I disagree but that's because art is subjective.
    I certainly would re-watch the 1947 version and I already have.
    I doubt I would re-watch the 2021 version again.
    I'm biased toward Noir and the Black and White Era of Films though.
    I think the important thing here is being able to watch films and discuss them.
    Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Interesting Fact about Noir and films of the earlier eras.
    They never wanted a film to go past 90 minutes.
    They had to talk fast to be able to get the film in under that time limit.
    I like that style.
    Actors in that era knew what they were doing.
    They didn't need any tricks.
    And they used real guns and real bullets.

Last edited by monet; 03-30-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Bruce Willis 'stepping away' from acting as he battles aphasia, family announces... RIP.
    Bummer, I like his straight to video shit. Thanks for the update.

I watched the 1947 version of Nightmare Alley. It was easier to watch than the new one because of the happier ending - which is to say that his wife did not abandon him as in the new movie and it appeared that she would help get him off the bottle and probably out of the geek role (the carnival's boss recognized him eventually which might help him get a different job there as well whereas in the new movie there was no hope for this outcome). No punches were pulled in the new movie and I felt that Bradley's Cooper's character was more evil than Tyrone Power's character (another example of this was that the wealthy mark [and his henchman] was killed by Bradley Cooper's character but not by Tyrone Power's character).
    Thanks again for the reco.
    Interesting take.
    I disagree but that's because art is subjective.
    I certainly would re-watch the 1947 version and I already have.
    I doubt I would re-watch the 2021 version again.
    I'm biased toward Noir and the Black and White Era of Films though.
    I think the important thing here is being able to watch films and discuss them.
    Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Interesting Fact about Noir and films of the earlier eras.
    They never wanted a film to go past 90 minutes.
    They had to talk fast to be able to get the film in under that time limit.
    I like that style.
    Actors in that era knew what they were doing.
    They didn't need any tricks.
    And they used real guns and real bullets.
    Well I suppose in the black and white era people (the film audience that is) were less jaded so there was no need to get people's attention through shock-value (brutally beating to death the mark and then driving over his henchman with a car a few times for example) or having an ending where the main character's future was utterly hopeless.

Well I suppose in the black and white era people (the film audience that is) were less jaded so there was no need to get people's attention through shock-value (brutally beating to death the mark and then driving over his henchman with a car a few times for example) or having an ending where the main character's future was utterly hopeless.
    IMO they were more clever and subtle about getting their point across.
    They didn't have to dumb down their audience.
    They understood that the audience was able to actually use their brains unlike todays youth.
    People actually read books back then which actually makes a difference IMO.
    Also things were more censored and this kind of story wasn't particularly celebrated by the mainstream public.
    etc. etc.

IMO they were more clever and subtle about getting their point across.
    They didn't have to dumb down their audience.
    They understood that the audience was able to actually use their brains unlike todays youth.
    People actually read books back then which actually makes a difference IMO.
    Also things were more censored and this kind of story wasn't particularly celebrated by the mainstream public.
    etc. etc.
    Yes in many of the movies being made these days there is a lot of dumbing down. However in some contemporary movies like Bladerunner 2049 (I can't wait for the next one in the series), The Prestige and Tenet (both Christopher Nolan movies), the audience is left to sort some things out for themselves. Each era had their different audiences. In the old era you had the Three Stooges audience for example. In the new it would be the equivalent of the Fast and the Furious audience (or the John Wick audience, LOL). To me, the highly melodramatic acting in many of the older films is a form of dumbing down and it is the censorship factor you had mentioned rather than more subtlety which is the larger factor of the two in terms of how points are getting delivered. Below is a trailer of the kind of thing that is most enjoyable for me in any new or old movie - points getting made without a lot of emotion or drama:

Currently I am listening to the Rogan podcast with Antonio Garcia Martinez since he was the dude who had his career at Google destroyed by woke, libtard, fascist cunts and I want to hear his story.
    I tried to listen to that podcast when it first came out.
    I made it about 20 to 30 minutes before I shut it off.
    Antonio just struck me the wrong way with his demeanor.
    It seemed like it got more flamboyant the more he talked.
    And he seemed very wishy washy to me in his thoughts and answers.
    Perhaps, you can review it a bit for me to see if it is worth listening to some more.
    I didn't make it to the part where they started to talk about Google.

On that note, I highly recommend listening to Joe Rogan's latest guest.
    JRE Episode #1800 with Gavin de Becker.
    However, you can skip the first and last hour.
    I found the most interesting and engaging discussion was from about the 59 minute mark until about the 2:01 minute mark.
    They talked about how the Government has controlled human life and society throughout history and they got into the Covid Lockdown Measures.

Currently I am listening to the Rogan podcast with Antonio Garcia Martinez since he was the dude who had his career at Google destroyed by woke, libtard, fascist cunts and I want to hear his story.
    I tried to listen to that podcast when it first came out.
    I made it about 20 to 30 minutes before I shut it off.
    Antonio just struck me the wrong way with his demeanor.
    It seemed like it got more flamboyant the more he talked.
    And he seemed very wishy washy to me in his thoughts and answers.
    Perhaps, you can review it a bit for me to see if it is worth listening to some more.
    I didn't make it to the part where they started to talk about Google.

On that note, I highly recommend listening to Joe Rogan's latest guest.
    JRE Episode #1800 with Gavin de Becker.
    However, you can skip the first and last hour.
    I found the most interesting and engaging discussion was from about the 59 minute mark until about the 2:01 minute mark.
    They talked about how the Government has controlled human life and society throughout history and they got into the Covid Lockdown Measures.
    Thanks for the reco Monet, I look forward to listening to it. There is no need to listen to the Antonio podcast - his demeanor is off-putting as you wrote (braggart know-it-all style), and so I found it hard to listen to even though I got through the entire thing. The main take from his Apple (I mistakenly wrote Google) story (IMHO) was that the woke mob that fired him represented a very small percentage of Apple and that management caved in from the woke pressure even though they (the managers that hired him) were aware of his book prior to his hiring (and it wasn't a problem until the woke mob made it a problem). Antonio went on to say that a lot of these Woke types at Apple eventually get fired since they never do much work, spending too much time on "activism". He then said when he worked at some other large big tech company (I forgot which one) the management said if you're not here to work, there's the door -- this was directed to curtail the lazy behaviors of people that use their "activism" to mask their desire to kick back and not work and Rogan concurred (saying generally, not just at Apple, that they're mostly losers who like to attack successful people - the Twitter mob etc.).

Just finished up my go to double feature.
    I highly recommend it when you all have the time to watch.
    I have never played serious pocket billiards and I really haven't played for about 25 years.
    However, I am really getting into it now along with Bowling.
    Good Times.

Up next... California Split.
    This should be any Gambler or Poker Players go to movie.

Last edited by monet; 05-04-2022 at 03:18 AM.

Alright here it is!
    This is one Fantastic Western.
    "There is a difference between apples and men."
    Warning... this movie may make you cry like a little girl.

Bend of the River (1952)

James Stewart
    Arthur Kennedy
    Rock Hudson
    Julie Adams
    and even Aunt B
    with Col. Sherman T. Potter
    or you may remember him from Dragnet

FREE on Youtube and in 720

Thanks for the recos Monet. California Split (which I saw a few months back) was fantastic.

Thanks for the recos Monet. California Split (which I saw a few months back) was fantastic.
    Yeah they really got the lingo and mannerisms down perfect in that movie.
    And just the overall lifestyle was portrayed to the T.
    Really impressive when I rewatch it over and over again.

I've been wanting to watch this movie for some time now.
    Missed it back in the 80's.
    Or I watched it and completely forgot everything about it which seems impossible for me.
    About to see if this link works for the entire movie.
    I'll probably buy the DVD soon enough.
    Stealing Cars.
    Porsche 911.
    Charlie Sheen.
    Has to bee good enough to reco without every actually watching the film.

No Man's Land 1987

https://tubitv.com/movies/476692/no-man-s-land

Yup... Really Good Movie.
    Combination of Driver 1978 and To Live and Die in LA 1985.
    And shades of Wall Street 1987 in the ending.
    Of course those three movies are far superior but this is another movie that certainly has high replay value for me.
    Some really good lines that I need to work into my daily dialog and some good chase scenes as well.

Honestly, Charlie Sheen and Bruce Willis have to be two of the coolest guys on and off of screen from the 80's
    Third quote listed below has to be my favorite.

"She's a good girl with bad habits."

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Aimless."

"Fuck Averages! I'm never going to Jail. I'll tell you that much."

Of course those three movies are far superior but this is another movie that certainly has high replay value for me.
    Some really good lines that I need to work into my daily dialog and some good chase scenes as well.

Honestly, Charlie Sheen and Bruce Willis have to be two of the coolest guys on and off of screen from the 80's

Thanks Monet. I will putlocker this film and then watch it (my friend's Smart TV does not have the Tubi app).

Thanks again Monet - I thought this film was quite enjoyable. So what if in the Diner scene with Dennis Quaid, the open/close sign on the door showed "open" facing the inside of the Diner when the place was open and crowded with patrons.

Thanks again Monet - I thought this film was quite enjoyable. So what if in the Diner scene with Dennis Quaid, the open/close sign on the door showed "open" facing the inside of the Diner when the place was open and crowded with patrons.
    Nice Catch!
    I think I seen some arcade games and a pinball machine throughout the movie?
    I'm pretty sure Break Point borrowed from this plot/formula.
    Did you see Margot??
    I had to rewind a few times and pause to enjoy her suit!!
    I prefer brunettes but I'd make an exception.
    I don't know what more I can ask for in a movie.
    80's, Charlie Sheen, Decent Soundtrack, Porsche 911s, Cops and Robbers, memorable quotes... etc etc.
    I was highly entertained as it is rare for me to find a movie like this that I never seen, heard of or remembered.
    Will watch again.

You can not beat Parlays and you could never beat the Lottery.
    This movie has promise but I don't expect anything but disappointment.
    It does deserve a mention because of its subject material and based on real life events.
    I was very surprised to see Annette Bening doing another movie.
    This is not going to be the same Annette Bening from The Grifters.
    It's not like we have many good choices for new movies.
    I fear that the new Top Gun movie will be too woke for me so I haven't watched it yet.
    I probably should see it in the theater as I will enjoy the fighter jet scenes but I'm worried about the storyline and young woke actors.
    I must of went to the Luxor IMAX 50 times to watch their Top Gun and that River Rafting Film that they had.

Nice Catch!
    I think I seen some arcade games and a pinball machine throughout the movie?
    I'm pretty sure Break Point borrowed from this plot/formula.
    Did you see Margot??
    I had to rewind a few times and pause to enjoy her suit!!
    I prefer brunettes but I'd make an exception.
    I don't know what more I can ask for in a movie.
    80's, Charlie Sheen, Decent Soundtrack, Porsche 911s, Cops and Robbers, memorable quotes... etc etc.
    I was highly entertained as it is rare for me to find a movie like this that I never seen, heard of or remembered.
    Will watch again.
    Yes, there were arcade games in the movie, for example the outdoor ms. Pacman at the burger joint. Yes Margot was a knockout. It was definitely the Wallstreet character type that Sheen played in No Man's Land and I think, since this movie was made the same year as Wallstreet, that was one reason neither of us had seen (and in my case heard of) this movie before. Thanks for the Jerry & Marge Go Large reco.

Yes, there were arcade games in the movie, for example the outdoor ms. Pacman at the burger joint. Yes Margot was a knockout. It was definitely the Wallstreet character type that Sheen played in No Man's Land and I think, since this movie was made the same year as Wallstreet, that was one reason neither of us had seen (and in my case heard of) this movie before. Thanks for the Jerry & Marge Go Large reco.
    No worries.
    Not really a reco, more like something that should be on our radar.
    So I go back and watch No Man's Land again because I'm sick.
    Anyways, two quotes that are really good that I missed.

After Charlie Sheens says his line about a nice girl with some bad habits he immediately says: "Fucking Drugs, I hate 'em".
    Now that's funny.
    Charlie Sheen denouncing drugs and his hate for them lol.

Next when Bill/Benji finds stolen/used parts they get into some banter.
    He says: This ain't exactly Repo Work.

Charlie says:

This ain't exactly work, period!
    But it's all part of the fight for truth and justice.
    You game?

I love it!
    I'm stealing that.
    Part of the fight for truth and justice lol.

No worries.
    Not really a reco, more like something that should be on our radar.
    So I go back and watch No Man's Land again because I'm sick.
    Anyways, two quotes that are really good that I missed.

After Charlie Sheens says his line about a nice girl with some bad habits he immediately says: "Fucking Drugs, I hate 'em".
    Now that's funny.
    Charlie Sheen denouncing drugs and his hate for them lol.

Next when Bill/Benji finds stolen/used parts they get into some banter.
    He says: This ain't exactly Repo Work.

Charlie says:

This ain't exactly work, period!
    But it's all part of the fight for truth and justice.
    You game?

I love it!
    I'm stealing that.
    Part of the fight for truth and justice lol.
    Yes those were great lines, as they were beginning to form their friendship. Unfortunately I could not give the new Batman movie which I putlockered some days ago a reco because it is too fucking woke, so I understand your concern about the possibility that the new Top Gun movie might be some woke dogshit - once it is available in HD on putlocker I will watch it and find out. I downloaded the new Adam Sandler movie Hustle and will let you know how it is after I watch it.

Boron update:It's best to take these capsules with a meal as they do bother the stomach in some persons such as myself. So far I haven't noticed it helping my shoulder tendonitis a lot yet, but will update accordingly.

Thread Information