Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Exactly - you don't get to Liam's level without saying whatever you're told to say. I agree about TETRIS (thanks for bringing it to my attention) - they will probably make it overly slick, woke and hipsterized when the real events were almost certainly seedy and moralless.

Speaking of Liam, if you want a perfect example of someone who had to get totally woked out in order to keep working, look no further than Jerry O'Connell. In the mediocre sci-fi series Sliders he was an ordinary guy. But to keep working, he had to turn himself into Tinker Bell. I stumbled into this shit (not the particular example below, but the example below exemplifies the whole deal) while channel surfing (warning - this will make you totally sick to your stomach) - I couldn't believe it:
    Well, they are "actors" so I tend to think they are playing a specific role in public to garner support and more work. I think the worst was Pauly Shore. When he did Rogan a few years ago he was constantly crying about how he doesn't "get" to do movies anymore and how much he misses it because it was the best time of his life. He cried on the whole podcast and when Kimmel made one stupid joke about him at the Oscars he got all serious and his feelings were hurt. I'm like, dude, you're a Fucking Comedian For Fucks Sake!! You're mother owned the Fucking Comedy Store and now you own it! Fuck! You made stupid fluff comedies anyways and got paid millions of dollars. Your life was handed to you for free!

Just caught this randomly on one of my movie channels.
    Haven't seen it for a long time.
    Back before Tom Hanks got all Woke...

For those who thought the (3-D) A-Team (2010) scene was original.
    It wasn't.

Also, it appears Tom Hanks stole the Spatula Scene away from Bill Murry in Stripes (1981).
    Albeit Tom Hanks used the eggbeater as the running joke instead.
    I can't seem to find the two eggbeater clips from Bachelor Party and I'm too lazy to record and post them myself.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Just caught this randomly on one of my movie channels.
    Haven't seen it for a long time.
    Back before Tom Hanks got all Woke...
    Yes, this was before Tom started to worship Satan. I remember one of the best things about this movie was that Robert Prescott (who played Kent in Real Genius) was in it;dude's a laugh and a half.
    Thanks for posting this movie - it has been a very long time since I have seen it also.

This movie is more for hardcore moviegoers in my opinion.
    You're not getting that high paced entertainment like in a Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movie.
    This movie is a bit dark and gritty.
    It shows how Evil we really are and how we pretty much will do anything to get ahead and survive.
    Very realistic.
    That brings long drawn-out slow scenes which can be a bit of a pain at times.
    But the movie is solid.
    It could be considered a Leonard Cohen Music Video in some respects which isn't exactly a bad thing.
    And of course, it's from the Master, Robert Altman so it's got that going for it.
    And if you like Warren Beatty, well, he plays the main character.
    I paid for my copy because I didn't check YouTube first.
    My loss is your gain...

This movie is more for hardcore moviegoers in my opinion.
    You're not getting that high paced entertainment like in a Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movie.
    This movie is a bit dark and gritty.
    It shows how Evil we really are and how we pretty much will do anything to get ahead and survive.
    Very realistic.
    That brings long drawn-out slow scenes which can be a bit of a pain at times.
    But the movie is solid.
    It could be considered a Leonard Cohen Music Video in some respects which isn't exactly a bad thing.
    And of course, it's from the Master, Robert Altman so it's got that going for it.
    And if you like Warren Beatty, well, he plays the main character.
    I paid for my copy because I didn't check YouTube first.
    My loss is your gain...
    Thanks for the reco Monet. I haven't seen this one and look forward to watching it.

Thanks for the reco Monet. I haven't seen this one and look forward to watching it.
    Pretty good quote at the start of the movie when he is letting everyone inspect the cards and he shuffles them up.
    He says, I don't know you and you don't know me so let's start out with a nickel game.
    One of the players quips... Let's make it a dime!
    Those miners were itchin' for Action!!

Pretty good quote at the start of the movie when he is letting everyone inspect the cards and he shuffles them up.
    He says, I don't know you and you don't know me so let's start out with a nickel game.
    Rock solid movie. He proved he could shoot at the end after playing possum. I guess by the beginning of the 1900's smoking opium was considered somewhat of a stigma. Those women were bought like slaves ($300 IIRC) to seed the new brothel in that mining town - so much for the civil war. Thanks again.

Rock solid movie. He proved he could shoot at the end after playing possum. I guess by the beginning of the 1900's smoking opium was considered somewhat of a stigma. Those women were bought like slaves ($300 IIRC) to seed the new brothel in that mining town - so much for the civil war. Thanks again.
    No worries.
    Notice how all the "gunplay" (lol kewlj joke, had to do it) was messy and bushwhacking.
    None of this, "meet you in the middle of the street at high noon" bullshit.
    Even the hardnosed kid, used deceit and a trick, to kill the kid, who just wanted to buy some socks.
    I guess the preacher really hated that sinner lol.
    The "Evil Doer" basically owned the entire town and every miner.
    I wonder if he was playing "possum" the entire time?
    It seemed like he may have not wanted to "expose his hand" to anyone in town or any of those professionals.
    I'm unsure about that, maybe he never did kill anyone, but you got to figure back then, you better learn how to shoot if you wanted to survive.
    I like how realistic the ending and movie is.
    Corporations are basically doing the exact same thing today, to get whatever they want.
    Even though he wins, he loses and we all "get it" in the end.
    And if you don't die early, you escape through drugs or some other alternative like video games and movies

No worries.
    Notice how all the "gunplay" (lol kewlj joke, had to do it) was messy and bushwhacking.
    None of this, "meet you in the middle of the street at high noon" bullshit.
    Even the hardnosed kid, used deceit and a trick, to kill the kid, who just wanted to buy some socks.
    I guess the preacher really hated that sinner lol.
    The "Evil Doer" basically owned the entire town and every miner.
    I wonder if he was playing "possum" the entire time?
    It seemed like he may have not wanted to "expose his hand" to anyone in town or any of those professionals.
    I'm unsure about that, maybe he never did kill anyone, but you got to figure back then, you better learn how to shoot if you wanted to survive.
    I like how realistic the ending and movie is.
    Corporations are basically doing the exact same thing today, to get whatever they want.
    Even though he wins, he loses and we all "get it" in the end.
    And if you don't die early, you escape through drugs or some other alternative like video games and movies
    Yes, I wrongly figured the young kid (who cut his teeth at the brothel) who was killed on the bridge by the young mercenary was a gun slinger and would kill the mercenary. Beatty's character caught the big British mercenary with a bullet dead center in the forehead at the end so I figure Beatty's character was a retired gunslinger who was looking to escape confrontation unless totally cornered. The preacher paid with his life for his hatred of Beatty's character since he kicked Beatty out of the church and was easily gunned down since he was by himself.
    As you wrote, corporations always win. If Beatty had survived the trio of mercenaries, the Mining company owner(s) would have just sent more mercenaries up there to kill him.

John Wick 3 (the first two were great too).
    Movie Reco: John Wick 4. If you didn't like the others, you won't like this one either - this was a mandatory reco purely for consistency (like a Bond fan recommending the newest Bond movie playing in theaters - no matter what the actual quality of the movie was). Definitely has some similarities to the Thomas Jane 2004 Punisher movie with some over the top characters John has to fight. Borrows from the Warriors movie where the black lady announces the progress of the New York gang, the Warriors, as they try to get back to their home turf as well as borrowing from the movie Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer.

Movie Reco: John Wick 4. If you didn't like the others, you won't like this one either - this was a mandatory reco purely for consistency (like a Bond fan recommending the newest Bond movie playing in theaters - no matter what the actual quality of the movie was). Definitely has some similarities to the Thomas Jane 2004 Punisher movie with some over the top characters John has to fight. Borrows from the Warriors movie where the black lady announces the progress of the New York gang, the Warriors, as they try to get back to their home turf as well as borrowing from the movie Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer.
    Part one was ok, something new, something different, sort of.
    Part two was much weaker.
    Part three was "Go Fuck Yourself"... I couldn't even make it to the end.
    No chance in Hell I will even try to watch 4 or 5.

Part one was ok, something new, something different, sort of.
    Part two was much weaker.
    Part three was "Go Fuck Yourself"... I couldn't even make it to the end.
    No chance in Hell I will even try to watch 4 or 5.
    I doubt there will be a 5. Good call then on not watching 4 since you didn't like 3.

Parallax View (1974). Very solid.

Parallax View (1974). Very solid.
    Sounds Familiar.
    Will look into it.
    Cheers!

Will look into it.
    Glad to hear it. I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy it at least as much I did - I wish I had known about and seen this movie earlier, but better late than never.

Will look into it.
    Glad to hear it. I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy it at least as much I did - I wish I had known about and seen this movie earlier, but better late than never.
    I seen the ad for this movie when I bought the other Warren Beatty movie we just watched.
    Was interested but forgot about it.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    The first third to half of this movie was amazing.
    Had some really great scenes and acting along with great on set locations.
    But the movie slowed down a bit too much and got lazy in the middle and with the ending.
    Just my opinion.
    Still solid enough for a viewing or two.
    You can't deny that the powers that are in control will do whatever the Fuck they want to do.
    The bar fight scene and sheriff river scene are worth the price of admission.
    The movie reminded me of the Sinatra version of the Manchurian Candidate.
    It also had the look/feel of a few other movies that I can't put my finger on just yet but similar.
    Thanks Again Buddy!

Will look into it.
    I seen the ad for this movie when I bought the other Warren Beatty movie we just watched.
    Was interested but forgot about it.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    The first third to half of this movie was amazing.
    Had some really great scenes and acting along with great on set locations.
    But the movie slowed down a bit too much and got lazy in the middle and with the ending.
    Just my opinion.
    Still solid enough for a viewing or two.
    You can't deny that the powers that are in control will do whatever the Fuck they want to do.
    The bar fight scene and sheriff river scene are worth the price of admission.
    The movie reminded me of the Sinatra version of the Manchurian Candidate.
    It also had the look/feel of a few other movies that I can't put my finger on just yet but similar.
    Thanks Again Buddy!
    Anytime Monet, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Prophetic wasn't it ? Back then, it was called the Military Industrial Complex usually. Now we more commonly call it The Deep State. What the Deep State wants the Deep State gets and they knew it back in '74, just as well as we do now. In this movie, I think Warren got made (as an infiltrator) pretty early in the game (and by that I mean when he survived the attempt on his life at the dam) and then he was set up to get framed with a few chess moves by people infinitely smarter than him and almost anyone else.
    With a stronger middle and end I would have bumped it up from very solid to excellent. Obviously they wanted to do a lot more with the movie, but couldn't for whatever reason (budget, etc.) .
    Warren can't help getting shot dead at the end (be it cowboy or investigative journalist) I guess - at least back in the early to mid 70's.
    Last edited by tableplay; 04-19-2023 at 10:08 AM.

Anytime Monet, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Prophetic wasn't it ? Back then, it was called the Military Industrial Complex usually. Now we more commonly called it The Deep State. What the Deep State wants the Deep State gets and they knew it back in '74, just as well as we do now. In this movie, I think Warren got made (as an infiltrator) pretty early in the game (and by that I mean when the photo was taken at the top of the Space Needle) and then they just set him up to get framed with a few chess moves by people infinitely smarter than him and almost anyone else.
    With a stronger middle and end I would have bumped it up from very solid to excellent. Obviously they wanted to do a lot more with the movie, but couldn't for whatever reason (budget, etc.) .
    Warren can't help getting shot dead at the end I guess - at least back in those days.
    His character was a naive knucklehead.
    And to sign up and try to infiltrate a group that is offing politicians is pretty stupid in the name of "journalism".
    Oh right, this movie reminds me of a movie called Arlington Road (1999).
    I probably already recommended it in an earlier post.
    Good enough for at least one viewing.
    I think they made about 10 to 15 movies in total with the same premise.
    It's like that movie "The Bell" or something like that where at the end the new recruit asks his mentor "what if I need this or that"?
    And the mentor tells him that you're one of us now.
    Anything you want or need, just ask.
    We're in control of everything.
    Or something like that... I'm paraphrasing.
    But the world has always been set up like this for at least 2,000 years if not 4,000 years or more.
    It's just a bit of a shock to the system when you realize it's not a "Democracy".

Thread Information