Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Anytime Monet, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Prophetic wasn't it ? Back then, it was called the Military Industrial Complex usually. Now we more commonly called it The Deep State. What the Deep State wants the Deep State gets and they knew it back in '74, just as well as we do now. In this movie, I think Warren got made (as an infiltrator) pretty early in the game (and by that I mean when the photo was taken at the top of the Space Needle) and then they just set him up to get framed with a few chess moves by people infinitely smarter than him and almost anyone else.
    With a stronger middle and end I would have bumped it up from very solid to excellent. Obviously they wanted to do a lot more with the movie, but couldn't for whatever reason (budget, etc.) .
    Warren can't help getting shot dead at the end I guess - at least back in those days.
    His character was a naive knucklehead.
    And to sign up and try to infiltrate a group that is offing politicians is pretty stupid in the name of "journalism".
    Oh right, this movie reminds me of a movie called Arlington Road (1999).
    I probably already recommended it in an earlier post.
    Good enough for at least one viewing.
    I think they made about 10 to 15 movies in total with the same premise.
    It's like that movie "The Bell" or something like that where at the end the new recruit asks his mentor "what if I need this or that"?
    And the mentor tells him that you're one of us now.
    Anything you want or need, just ask.
    We're in control of everything.
    Or something like that... I'm paraphrasing.
    But the world has always been set up like this for at least 2,000 years if not 4,000 years or more.
    It's just a bit of a shock to the system when you realize it's not a "Democracy".
    Thanks for the reco - I don't recall Arlington Road and will check it out. Yes, there has been a number of movies along these lines. In Eyes Wide Shut we get a glimpse of how this group likes to party.

I had about 5 hours to kill yesterday before the hockey games started.
    I was kinda bored and didn't want to do anything, but I felt the urge to watch a movie.
    I've been holding back the temptation to rent Babylon and Bullet Train.
    Two Brad Pitt movies that I suspect are not going to be very good.
    I gave into the temptation and rented Babylon for 5.99 and regretted it immediately.
    The movie is a jumbled mess.
    The premise, era and subject material is plenty good enough for a movie, but they dropped the ball.
    They did much better with "La La Land" as this is from the same people.
    This movie, Babylon, was basically another vehicle for Hollywood to show off homosexuality and lesbians.
    And of course, how bad Black People and Asians have it in America.
    Anyways, I got to the 2-hour mark before shutting it off.
    The movie is just over 3 hours long.
    It's as if they stole the blueberry pie, throw up scene from "Stand by Me".
    I was ready to turn it off before the first hour, but this scene was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    I can't recommend the movie, but it will be free on TV eventually and you can watch it and decide for yourself.
    If you rent it at Redbox for 1 or 2 dollars, I guess that is more justified, but 6 dollars is far too much.
    I should have got Bullet Train for free with this purchase.
    I hate Apple TV but I'm locked in.

I had about 5 hours to kill yesterday before the hockey games started.
    I was kinda bored and didn't want to do anything, but I felt the urge to watch a movie.
    I've been holding back the temptation to rent Babylon and Bullet Train.
    Two Brad Pitt movies that I suspect are not going to be very good.
    I gave into the temptation and rented Babylon for 5.99 and regretted it immediately.
    The movie is a jumbled mess.
    The premise, era and subject material is plenty good enough for a movie, but they dropped the ball.
    They did much better with "La La Land" as this is from the same people.
    This movie, Babylon, was basically another vehicle for Hollywood to show off homosexuality and lesbians.
    And of course, how bad Black People and Asians have it in America.
    Anyways, I got to the 2-hour mark before shutting it off.
    The movie is just over 3 hours long.
    It's as if they stole the blueberry pie, throw up scene from "Stand by Me".
    I was ready to turn it off before the first hour, but this scene was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    I can't recommend the movie, but it will be free on TV eventually and you can watch it and decide for yourself.
    If you rent it at Redbox for 1 or 2 dollars, I guess that is more justified, but 6 dollars is far too much.
    I should have got Bullet Train for free with this purchase.
    I hate Apple TV but I'm locked in.
    After reading your review of this movie Monet, I have decided that I will not be watching it under any circumstances (within reason - if someone offers me a C-note or more I'll watch it). I remember vaguely hearing about this movie when it came out and I didn't have any interest in it at that time. Thanks for helping me avoid some woke fucktards. These fucking Satanists have me on tilt at this point.

Normally I wouldn't recommend this movie since I'm sure we have all seen this movie multiple times over.
    However, since the writer, James Ellroy, came out recently denouncing the movie version I felt the need to post about it.
    And, it's free on YouTube with limited commercials.
    So that's a bonus.
    I actually watched it today and enjoyed it thoroughly.
    The acting in that movie was superb.
    Russel Crowe at his finest.
    All the acting was really top notch, in my opinion and the story just has incredible flow.
    Not to mention the sets, costumes, landscape, vehicles and musical score.
    This movie is way better than Titanic, in my opinion, once again.
    Unfortunately, the general public disagrees with me on this issue and Titanic won all the awards and accolades which eclipsed this movie.
    Video is age restricted so it doesn't show up properly on this site but the link will get you there or you can search for it yourself.
    From what I could tell, the video was not edited, so, it has all the Non-PC Dialogue intact.
    And of course, if you like this movie, subject material and noir you should watch or rewatch Chinatown and The Two Jakes again.
    Same Difference IMO.

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Normally I wouldn't recommend this movie since I'm sure we have all seen this movie multiple times over.
    However, since the writer, James Ellroy, came out recently denouncing the movie version I felt the need to post about it.
    And, it's free on YouTube with limited commercials.
    So that's a bonus.
    I actually watched it today and enjoyed it thoroughly.
    The acting in that movie was superb.
    Russel Crowe at his finest.
    All the acting was really top notch, in my opinion and the story just has incredible flow.
    Not to mention the sets, costumes, landscape, vehicles and musical score.
    This movie is way better than Titanic, in my opinion, once again.
    Unfortunately, the general public disagrees with me on this issue and Titanic won all the awards and accolades which eclipsed this movie.
    Video is age restricted so it doesn't show up properly on this site but the link will get you there or you can search for it yourself.
    From what I could tell, the video was not edited, so, it has all the Non-PC Dialogue intact.
    And of course, if you like this movie, subject material and noir you should watch or rewatch Chinatown and The Two Jakes again.
    Same Difference IMO.

L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Yes, L.A. Confidential was flawless. IIRC, this was the first movie I saw Guy Pearce in. Just after watching it the first time at the theater in '97, I figured he was going to be a superstar since he was brilliant in this movie. However, while he definitely is a fantastic actor, I did notice that many of his future films were very good, but never quite as brilliant as this first one I saw him in. I plan to see the movie Zone 414 (starring Guy Pearce) soon and will reco it if I like it. I don't think I have seen The Two Jakes and I am going to watch it (thanks for the reco).

Yes, L.A. Confidential was flawless. IIRC, this was the first movie I saw Guy Pearce in. Just after watching it the first time at the theater in '97, I figured he was going to be a superstar since he was brilliant in this movie. However, while he definitely is a fantastic actor, I did notice that many of his future films were very good, but never quite as brilliant as this first one I saw him in. I plan to see the movie Zone 414 (starring Guy Pearce) soon and will reco it if I like it. I don't think I have seen The Two Jakes and I am going to watch it (thanks for the reco).
    Oh yeah, I seen Zone 414 awhile back when it first came out.
    Not exactly my thing and not exactly a bad movie.
    Kind of a filler movie for me.
    If you're into AI and AI Sex Robots or AI and Robots in general, then this is your movie.
    Sort of like Ex Machina.
    Many people love it but it's not my cup of tea.
    Joe Rogan loves that movie and I find that if Joe Rogan loves a movie that I usually disagree with him.
    Joe Rogan is or was more interested in how to get into movies rather than watch movies.
    He admitted many times that he doesn't enjoy movies that depict real life or real-world scenarios.
    He wants a movie to be a fantasy world where he can escape into.
    I disagree.
    I want my movies to be as close to real life as possible.
    I usually prefer my movies to end in ambiguity or pain.
    One of the only problems with L.A. Confidential is that it essentially has a happy ending where Bud doesn't die and he lives happily ever after with an ex-hooker?
    The movie is too good though to quibble about that ridiculousness.
    Anyways, Guy Pearce was in Memento (2000) which is pretty good.
    His most recent movie, that has bad reviews, but I thought was pretty good, is in 2018, called Spinning Man.
    That movie has the other Pierce in it as well.

If you're into AI and AI Sex Robots or AI and Robots in general, then this is your movie.
    Sort of like Ex Machina.
    Joe Rogan loves that movie and I find that if Joe Rogan loves a movie that I usually disagree with him.
    Joe Rogan is or was more interested in how to get into movies rather than watch movies.
    He admitted many times that he doesn't enjoy movies that depict real life or real-world scenarios.
    He wants a movie to be a fantasy world where he can escape into.
    I disagree.
    I want my movies to be as close to real life as possible.
    I usually prefer my movies to end in ambiguity or pain.
    One of the only problems with L.A. Confidential is that it essentially has a happy ending where Bud doesn't die and he lives happily ever after with an ex-hooker?
    The movie is too good though to quibble about that ridiculousness.
    Anyways, Guy Pearce was in Memento (2000) which is pretty good.
    His most recent movie, that has bad reviews, but I thought was pretty good, is in 2018, called Spinning Man.
    That movie has the other Pierce in it as well.
    I agree with you about Memento. I am planning on seeing Spinning Man - thanks for the reco. Another decent sci-fi filler movie that Guy was in is the movie Lockout, which you might want to watch on a slow day if you haven't seen it. I am also interested in seeing the movie below.

Name:  HNEkhAr.png
Views: 330
Size:  33.6 KB

I watched Jack Irish - Dead Point. In the Space Filler genre I rate it as a "no reason not to see to see it at some point".

Sort of like Ex Machina.
    I watched this movie today. A poor man's Blade Runner if you will. I liked the movie and am glad I saw it.

I watched Spinning Man yesterday afternoon. I noticed that it was was an enjoyable movie, which was not surprising given that I often have the opposite opinion as the majority of reviews (and given that you also liked it). For example, Top Gun Maverick was horrible, but got great reviews as we discussed previously. One of the things I liked about Spinning Man was the unpredictability. I had figured he had murdered the attractive black student at the end, but he didn't - it was just a mild skirmish. Throughout the movie, I wasn't sure he had murdered the high school student, having it 50/50 the whole way. Solid movie and thanks for the reco.

I watched Spinning Man yesterday afternoon. I noticed that it was was an enjoyable movie, which was not surprising given that I often have the opposite opinion as the majority of reviews (and given that you also liked it). For example, Top Gun Maverick was horrible, but got great reviews as we discussed previously. One of the things I liked about Spinning Man was the unpredictability. I had figured he had murdered the attractive black student at the end, but he didn't - it was just a mild skirmish. Throughout the movie, I wasn't sure he had murdered the high school student, having it 50/50 the whole way. Solid movie and thanks for the reco.
    Yeah, that movie tripped me up too or should I say spun me around.
    I think I just got lost inside the movie instead of trying to figure it out.
    I remember being blindsided by the ending.
    Haven't seen it since it came out so might be time for a rewatch.
    Cheers!

PS: I try to never pause a movie or look at how long I have watched the movie as that can interfere with my escapism by knowing that the ending is near.
    Doesn't always work but I try.
    Another similar movie that I think we went over is Johnny Depp in Secret Window.
    That was kind of another movie that I got lost in and blindsided at the end.
    I always laugh at the last line/scene lol.

Another similar movie that I think we went over is Johnny Depp in Secret Window.
    Thanks Monet, there's a small chance I have seen it, so I am going to watch it since I probably haven't. It's hard to go wrong when Timothy Hutton is in a movie - I even liked that Leverage TV series since he's a great actor.

Thanks Monet, there's a small chance I have seen it, so I am going to watch it since I probably haven't. It's hard to go wrong when Timothy Hutton is in a movie - I even liked that Leverage TV series since he's a great actor.
    I'm not 100% on this but I think Hutton has a very small roll in the movie.
    John Turturro is more significant.
    In either case, the movie is worth watching if you haven't seen it.
    I think, lol, a little corny but I like corn.

I'm not 100% on this but I think Hutton has a very small roll in the movie.
    John Turturro is more significant.
    In either case, the movie is worth watching if you haven't seen it.
    I think, lol, a little corny but I like corn.
    Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it as we speak.
    Name:  MoxHL00.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  29.5 KB

Spinning Man (2018)

I rewatched the movie again since I seen it was Free on YouTube.
    Glad I did.
    It's very Hitchcockian isn't it?
    Some pretty darn good quotes like:
    “Police don’t ask questions; they plant land mines.”
    "What Chair?"

And the recovering alcoholic versus the black out drunk was a nice subtle subplot as well.
    Damn movie has a lot of realism and makes your head spin, for sure!
    Even after you see the ending, you still aren't 100% sure of what exactly is the truth.
    This movie is like real life where you have enough circumstantial evidence but not enough proof to convict!
    I'll let some time pass and watch it again.
    These guys can act.
    Too Bad these types of movies are a dying breed.
    Here is the link for all you lurkers.
    It works, it's just age restricted over here at VCT.

Last edited by monet; 05-09-2023 at 12:17 PM.

By the way, since we are talking about Guy Pearce Movies, I forgot to mention this one.
    The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
    Worth a viewing if you haven't seen it.
    It has the guy who played Jesus and he says he doesn't believe in God which I found ironic.
    But the Priests response is better... "It doesn't matter if you believe in God, He believes in you!"

Another great scene is where they find the treasure and his buddy says:
    I'll go up to Paris, kill this guy for you, come back and we share the treasure.
    How is this a bad plan??

lol... love that scene.

Spinning Man (2018)
    Glad I did.
    Yes, that's a great description of it. Pierce Brosnan's character seemed certain that Guy Pearce's character didn't kill the high school student. It is possible that Guy Pearce's character murdered the student, but I think it is more likely that he did not, since someone clever enough to murder the student and fool the forensic team into thinking it was an accidental death would have also probably been clever enough to make sure there was no evidence in the car to avoid becoming a suspect in the first place.

By the way, since we are talking about Guy Pearce Movies, I forgot to mention this one.
    The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
    Worth a viewing if you haven't seen it.
    It has the guy who played Jesus and he says he doesn't believe in God which I found ironic.
    But the Priests response is better... "It doesn't matter if you believe in God, He believes in you!"

Another great scene is where they find the treasure and his buddy says:
    I'll go up to Paris, kill this guy for you, come back and we share the treasure.
    How is this a bad plan??

lol... love that scene.
    Thanks for the reco Monet - I have not seen this one and will check it out.

Spinning Man (2018)
    Glad I did.
    Yes, that's a great description of it. Pierce Brosnan's character seemed certain that Guy Pearce's character didn't kill the high school student. It is possible that Guy Pearce's character murdered the student, but I think it is more likely that he did not, since someone clever enough to murder the student and fool the forensic team into thinking it was an accidental death would have also probably been clever enough to make sure there was no evidence in the car to avoid becoming a suspect in the first place.
    No doubt.
    That was the point of the movie.
    It's supposed to leave us all kind of guessing at the end.
    We just do not have enough proof to know for sure.
    I tend to think that it happened like he said.
    He was fooling around with her and it got too rough and she didn't like it and ran away.
    She fell down and broke her crown and the Professor got away.
    But we can't be sure.
    I mean how did he get all the way on the other side of the lake and get back to his daughter in time?
    What we can be sure of is something is off at the end because Guy Pearce got kind of Evil there when he lit the envelope on fire.
    It seemed like he was playing dumb the whole time and knew exactly what he was doing.
    Or maybe not.
    That's what's so good about it.
    You just keep spinning on what you think happened, lul.
    And did he really screw around with the black girl or was that all in his drunken mind?
    The movie kind of messed me up when I first watched it 5 years ago and now it's messing me up again after the rewatch.
    Cheers!

I mean how did he get all the way on the other side of the lake and get back to his daughter in time?
    Cheers!
    Excellent points. His daughter said (or perhaps he misremembers her saying) that he was late in picking her up that day (please go to 1:14:27 of the youtube movie) . You hit on the key point of the whole deal - his memory is faulty and so we, the audience, could be watching him remember something his daughter never said.
    "https://youtu.be/GYsVGVqhTFE?t=4453"

Thread Information