Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I mean how did he get all the way on the other side of the lake and get back to his daughter in time?
    Cheers!
    Excellent points. His daughter said (or perhaps he misremembers her saying) that he was late in picking her up that day (please go to 1:14:27 of the youtube movie) . You hit on the key point of the whole deal - his memory is faulty and so we, the audience, could be watching him remember something his daughter never said.
    "https://youtu.be/GYsVGVqhTFE?t=4453"
    Good Points.
    And we don't know why she ran away and told the officer that he wasn't her father.
    And his daughter never told us what happened that day, but something happened because she mentioned it in her bedroom.
    I don't think he is sexually abusing his daughter, but we have to put that on the table as well.
    The movie is very high brow, intellectual, deep and unknown/underrated in my opinion.
    Also, I found the choice of the Invisible Man to be interesting as his costume.
    The writer/director was definitely saying something there.
    Supposedly, this movie/book is an adaptation from a real-life missing persons/crime.

The movie is very high brow, intellectual, deep and unknown/underrated in my opinion.
    Also, I found the choice of the Invisible Man to be interesting as his costume.
    The writer/director was definitely saying something there.
    Supposedly, this movie/book is an adaptation from a real-life missing persons/crime.
    I agree about it being underrated and also about your good insight into the symbolism of the Invisible Man which I hadn't thought about beyond the superficial when I watched that scene. Since the film was limited release, it slipped through the cracks for me back in 2018 when I was still active with regard to hitting the theaters (this was before all the designated seating bullshit) so I'm lucky you recommended it.
    Name:  kj0i3QR.png
Views: 198
Size:  5.6 KB

I mean how did he get all the way on the other side of the lake and get back to his daughter in time?
    Cheers!
    Excellent points. His daughter said (or perhaps he misremembers her saying) that he was late in picking her up that day (please go to 1:14:27 of the youtube movie) . You hit on the key point of the whole deal - his memory is faulty and so we, the audience, could be watching him remember something his daughter never said.
    I watched it and remember it well.
    Pierce Brosnan had already brought that up earlier that he was 45 minutes late in picking up his daughter.
    I think one of the problems is that we don't know when he is drinking/blacking out or not.
    Or if he suffers from some sort of mental disorder or both.
    We don't have all that information.
    And in the beginning who was the girl looking at/for?
    She was looking at his car or the same car he had so it appears she had a meeting planned out already.
    Like I say, we just don't have enough information, evidence or proof.
    We, the audience, are left to draw our own conclusions.
    The movie is well crafted but too clever for the youth of today.
    Not enough explosions for them, so they get bored.
    Oh, and why was James Bond recording him at the end and what is he going to do with that tape in the future?
    Is he planning out some sort of blackmail or if they find new evidence will he use that tape as a confession??
    And why did he show him the recorder being turned off.
    Did he want Guy to know that he recorded his confession?
    It's a wild movie man, lol.
    And it is a constant theme, in real life, that teachers are constantly getting sexually involved with their students.
    Which makes it odd that the State forces us to send our children to schools to begin with.
    Just another version of Pizza Gate when I think about it.
    Last edited by monet; 05-10-2023 at 12:39 AM.

Cheers!
    I watched it and remember it well.
    Pierce Brosnan had already brought that up earlier that he was 45 minutes late in picking up his daughter.
    I think one of the problems is that we don't know when he is drinking/blacking out or not.
    Or if he suffers from some sort of mental disorder or both.
    We don't have all that information.
    And in the beginning who was the girl looking at/for?
    She was looking at his car or the same car he had so it appears she had a meeting planned out already.
    Like I say, we just don't have enough information, evidence or proof.
    We, the audience, are left to draw our own conclusions.
    The movie is well crafted but too clever for the youth of today.
    Not enough explosions for them, so they get bored.
    Oh, and why was James Bond recording him at the end and what is he going to do with that tape in the future?
    Is he planning out some sort of blackmail or if they find new evidence will he use that tape as a confession??
    And why did he show him the recorder being turned off.
    Did he want Guy to know that he recorded his confession?
    It's a wild movie man, lol.
    And it is a constant theme, in real life, that teachers are constantly getting sexually involved with their students.
    Which makes it odd that the State forces us to send our children to schools to begin with.
    Just another version of Pizza Gate when I think about it.
    Yes, I think he had mental problems and that they were exacerbated when he drunk. I believe the latter - that 007 probably recorded him so that if new evidence ever surfaces, they have his confession already. Another twist was that Guy's character was fantasizing about 007's daughter Carrie , who worked at the hardware store that sold him the mousetraps. When he returned to the hardware store she was not on duty . . . . And the mousetraps (the snapping ones) - did he put one between the dryer and washer because he knew his wife might nose around there ? All deliberately unknowable as you wrote. Well designed, enjoyable movie - great reco.
    As you wrote, teacher/student sexual relations are rampant - it is one of the main reasons a lot of people become teachers (IMHO).

Yes, I think he had mental problems and that they were exacerbated when he drunk. I believe the latter - that 007 probably recorded him so that if new evidence ever surfaces, they have his confession already. Another twist was that Guy's character was fantasizing about 007's daughter Carrie , who worked at the hardware store that sold him the mousetraps. When he returned to the hardware store she was not on duty . . . . And the mousetraps (the snapping ones) - did he put one between the dryer and washer because he knew his wife might nose around there ? All deliberately unknowable as you wrote. Well designed, enjoyable movie - great reco.
    As you wrote, teacher/student sexual relations are rampant - it is one of the main reasons a lot of people become teachers (IMHO).
    I totally missed that the girl working at the hardware store is 007's daughter.
    And I watched this movie twice.
    I probably missed a lot more.
    The movie is a Total Mind Fuck.
    I remember being twisted up for days after my first viewing.
    And I'm twisted up again after my second viewing.
    The movie really lingers with you or at least it lingers with me, trying to figure things out.
    Some people claim that it is similar to Memento which I haven't watched for years.
    Time to pull that one up!
    I don't remember much as it's been a long time.
    I just remember it being a good movie.

I totally missed that the girl working at the hardware store is 007's daughter.
    Some people claim that it is similar to Memento which I haven't watched for years.
    Time to pull that one up!
    I don't remember much as it's been a long time.
    I just remember it being a good movie.
    As 007 mentions how concerned he is for his own daughter's safety during a discussion with the suspect Pearce (IIRC anyway), the camera pans to a picture on his office desk of his daughter and it is Carrie from the hardware store.
    I have not watched Memento since it came out in the theater and, likewise, I don't remember it very well. But one of the things I do remember about it was that Guy did a fantastic acting job in it - definitely some of his best work.

As 007 mentions how concerned he is for his own daughter's safety during a discussion with the suspect Pearce (IIRC anyway), the camera pans to a picture on his office desk of his daughter and it is Carrie from the hardware store.
    I have not watched Memento since it came out in the theater and, likewise, I don't remember it very well. But one of the things I do remember about it was that Guy did a fantastic acting job in it - definitely some of his best work.
    I remember the scene and the discussion in the car but don't remember the girl's picture in the cutaway.
    I remember the scene did have a cutaway but I can't see the picture lol.
    And I'm not 100% sure that the scene did have a cutaway.
    I have to go back and rewatch that scene just to make sure you're not planting the memory in my head, lul.
    I remember the discussion in the car getting intense.
    That's another brilliant thing this movie points out.
    Each moviegoer sees it or remembers it just a little bit differently don't they.
    The movie is top notch the more I analyze and think about it.

I watched Memento last night and it is a good movie.
    One of the first to do that style or do it well enough to grip the audience.
    But, in my opinion, Spinning Man is far superior.
    I think it's because Spinning Man keeps you spinning whereas Memento gives you much more closure.
    And I still think Guy Pearce is a doppelganger for Val Kilmer.
    Might be what held him back.

Alright, tableplay, I went back to dig around through the movie.
    It's kind of funny since everything is so close.
    The writer/director may have done this on purpose to throw the audience.
    The picture of 007's daughter does look similar but has different hair color.
    So, I thought ok, maybe she just changed her hair color.
    So, I went back to the beginning of the hardware/mouse trap scene.
    The girl does look similar but her name tag read Carrie.
    007 says his daughters name is Katie and he mentions her name at least twice in that scene.
    I didn't watch the entire scene.
    Just enough to see the picture and hear/see her name and I even put the closed captions on, lul.
    I had to pause the mouse trap scene in the beginning to see the nametag.
    I have skim through the movie to find that scene where he goes back to the mouse trap store to make sure he asks if Carrie or Katie is working.
    But you can see how similar the names are and like I say, I feel like the writer/director did that on purpose.
    It's pretty damn clever writing in my opinion.
    This is a pretty damn deep dive.
    Only movie buffs like us would do this shit.
    That's probably why the low user ratings.
    Most people just want to watch a movie and not have to think about it.

EDIT: I finally found it where he goes back to buy the classic mouse traps.
    It's around the 36:15-minute mark where he asks: Carrie's not working today?
    The car conversation with 007 and his daughters picture scene is around the 59:45 mark.
    The original mousetrap scene, with Carrie, is around the 14 minute mark.
    Last edited by monet; 05-11-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Alright, tableplay, I went back to dig around through the movie.
    It's kind of funny since everything is so close.
    The writer/director may have done this on purpose to throw the audience.
    The picture of 007's daughter does look similar but has different hair color.
    So, I thought ok, maybe she just changed her hair color.
    So, I went back to the beginning of the hardware/mouse trap scene.
    The girl does look similar but her name tag read Carrie.
    007 says his daughters name is Katie and he mentions her name at least twice in that scene.
    I didn't watch the entire scene.
    Just enough to see the picture and hear/see her name and I even put the closed captions on, lul.
    I had to pause the mouse trap scene in the beginning to see the nametag.
    I have skim through the movie to find that scene where he goes back to the mouse trap store to make sure he asks if Carrie or Katie is working.
    But you can see how similar the names are and like I say, I feel like the writer/director did that on purpose.
    It's pretty damn clever writing in my opinion.
    This is a pretty damn deep dive.
    Only movie buffs like us would do this shit.
    That's probably why the low user ratings.
    Most people just want to watch a movie and not have to think about it.

EDIT: I finally found it where he goes back to buy the classic mouse traps.
    It's around the 36:15-minute mark where he asks: Carrie's not working today?
    The car conversation with 007 and his daughters picture scene is around the 59:45 mark.
    The original mousetrap scene, with Carrie, is around the 14 minute mark.
    They are clearly different individuals Monet - thank you for clarifying this or I would have carried on thinking Carrie Mousetrap was 007's daughter. I think what led to the mistake was the similar look and the similar names. I conflated the names and that caused me to conflate the girls' looks. I agree with you that the writer did it on purpose. I guess we have become bigger fans of the Mystery genre as a result of the very interesting discussion of this movie and the excellent quality of the movie itself. I am going to take a closer look at this genre and try and find more quality movies within it.
    Name:  GQb95Vc.png
Views: 201
Size:  89.0 KB

They are clearly different individuals Monet - thank you for clarifying this or I would have carried on thinking Carrie Mousetrap was 007's daughter. I think what led to the mistake was the similar look and the similar names. I conflated the names and that caused me to conflate the girls' looks. I agree with you that the writer did it on purpose. I guess we have become bigger fans of the Mystery genre as a result of the very interesting discussion of this movie and the excellent quality of the movie itself. I am going to take a closer look at this genre and try and find more quality movies within it.
    That's gonna be a tall order.
    This movie really is on another level and it's basically unknown.
    Movies similar to this will be huge blockbusters or classics that you probably have seen multiple times over.
    You and I are always on the lookout for good movies so if we find something you can bet that we will post about it.
    Cheers!

EDIT: The problem is that the movies that you find will have a complete ending or a somewhat happy ending where the good guy wins.
    It's hard to find a movie like this that will leave you hanging or guessing or somewhat open to interpretation.
    We can't be showing that the bad guy wins in our propaganda machine lul!!

I can list some movies like this but they are pretty dark in my opinion.
    I don't enjoy them near as much these days as I did say 20 years ago when I was younger.
    In my older age I realize how sick these movies are or the subject material is and it seems harder to digest.

A movie in 2013 has some similar suspense and has an odd pitting.
    Woke Asshole John Cusack versus Real Life Bad Boy Nick Cage.
    Odd Movie Role for John Cusack to accept with his Shit Lib Perspective.
    I guess it shows his true colors.
    Movie based on a true story.
    But it is a bit stomach turning at times.
    It does have decent pacing and suspense if that is what you are after.
    The Frozen Ground (2013)
    Last edited by monet; 05-11-2023 at 06:17 PM.

Now you got my mind racing, lol.
    There is another movie with this sort of kidnapping/crime theme.
    I can't for the life of me remember who is in it or what it is called.
    I remember the kidnapping taking place with a Van.
    I remember the detective finding this house in the country and an older woman answering the door.
    Talking through the screen door at first.
    It's like an Old Farmhouse.
    When I figure out the name, I'll let you know.
    I saw the movie twice and like I say, it has that suspense to it.
    Just difficult subject material.
    Maybe 10- to 20-year-old movie.
    I can't remember lol... which is bad for a self-proclaimed movie buff.

Ok it took some searching.
    I should of remembered this because it has Hugh Jackman in it.
    It's called Prisoners (2013)
    My OCD can rest now that I found it.
    I guess 2013 was a big year for kidnapping movies.
    I think the older you get and more aware you become, the more difficult these types of movies are to watch.
    I couldn't even imagine having to act them out and do the scenes over and over again.
    I kept seeing Paul Dano in my mind but couldn't place him.
    I found it by going through a long list of kidnapping movies.
    Paul Dano is always in these types of movies.
    I recently watched him in that new movie The Fablemans.
    He plays a simp in that movie instead of some psychotic killer or mentally disturbed person.
    I didn't talk about The Fablemans because it's a bit odd.
    Seth Rogan was an odd choice and I never liked him or got his comedy.
    It's real life and messy but I feel like it's distorted reality.
    His mother did some Evil Shit.
    When she sends her ex-husband the picture of the happy barbeque at the end, I was sick to my stomach.
    You have to have a lot of hate for someone to send them a picture like that.
    The movie also bashes Jesus and Christians pretty hard.
    I guess he hates them being an Orthodox Jew.
    He does have a point that Evangelicals go pretty overboard at times.
    I have to admit that. as I grew up in that environment and those Fuckers are Nuts lol.
    They got my 6 dollars with the Fablemans because I was bored but I still have held out on Elvis and Bullet Train.
    I feel like I am winning, lul.
    Last edited by monet; 05-11-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Ok it took some searching.
    I should of remembered this because it has Hugh Jackman in it.
    It's called Prisoners (2013)
    My OCD can rest now that I found it.
    I guess 2013 was a big year for kidnapping movies.
    I think the older you get and more aware you become, the more difficult these types of movies are to watch.
    I couldn't even imagine having to act them out and do the scenes over and over again.
    I kept seeing Paul Dano in my mind but couldn't place him.
    I found it by going through a long list of kidnapping movies.
    Paul Dano is always in these types of movies.
    I recently watched him in that new movie The Fablemans.
    He plays a simp in that movie instead of some psychotic killer or mentally disturbed person.
    I didn't talk about The Fablemans because it's a bit odd.
    Seth Rogan was an odd choice and I never liked him or got his comedy.
    It's real life and messy but I feel like it's distorted reality.
    His mother did some Evil Shit.
    When she sends her ex-husband the picture of the happy barbeque at the end, I was sick to my stomach.
    You have to have a lot of hate for someone to send them a picture like that.
    The movie also bashes Jesus and Christians pretty hard.
    I guess he hates them being an Orthodox Jew.
    He does have a point that Evangelicals go pretty overboard at times.
    I have to admit that. as I grew up in that environment and those Fuckers are Nuts lol.
    They got my 6 dollars with the Fablemans because I was bored but I still have held out on Elvis and Bullet Train.
    I feel like I am winning, lul.
    Thank you Monet. I never watched The Fablemans, Prisoners, or The Frozen Ground. Seth Rogan is disgusting - his Woke Disney/Pizzagate agenda is highly disturbing. John Cusack is now equally disgusting; how he went from normal guy to Mr. Woketard is anyone's guess. Like you wrote, it will be a tall order to find high quality ambiguous mysteries that fell under the radar, since I haven't really focused on this movie-wise. Movies like Cage's excellent 8mm (another glimpse into how the Eyes Wide Shut crowd like to party) have the mysteries clarified and solved and didn't really fall that much under the radar as you know. I love the fact that Rotten Tomatoes bludgeoned this masterpiece. I guess we're way out of wack with respect to the normal audience when it comes to taste. Anyway, by slow increments, I will hopefully discover more of these sorts of movies and I will post them here as I find them. One of the reasons I didn't reco Mindhunters (Val Kilmer) was because it was only an average movie at best as I briefly mentioned in the documentaries section a little while back even though it was an obscure mystery that had some ambiguity and loose ends at the end of the movie IIRC.

Name:  ygUEQTq.png
Views: 193
Size:  13.2 KB

Thank you Monet. I never watched The Fablemans, Prisoners, or The Frozen Ground. Seth Rogan is disgusting - his Woke Disney/Pizzagate agenda is highly disturbing. John Cusack is now equally disgusting; how he went from normal guy to Mr. Woketard is anyone's guess. Like you wrote, it will be a tall order to find high quality ambiguous mysteries that fell under the radar, since I haven't really focused on this movie-wise. Movies like Cage's excellent 8mm (another glimpse into how the Eyes Wide Shut crowd like to party) have the mysteries clarified and solved and didn't really fall that much under the radar as you know. I love the fact that Rotten Tomatoes bludgeoned this masterpiece. I guess we're way out of wack with respect to the normal audience when it comes to taste. Anyway, by slow increments, I will hopefully discover more of these sorts of movies and I will post them here as I find them. One of the reasons I didn't reco Mindhunters (Val Kilmer) was because it was only an average movie at best as I briefly mentioned in the documentaries section a little while back even though it was an obscure mystery that had some ambiguity and loose ends at the end of the movie IIRC.
    I don't think our movie reviewing capabilities are out of whack.
    I think that Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB are manipulated with fake accounts.
    And I think it's a generational gap.
    Kids born in the mid 90s don't have the attention span for well-crafted movies that burn slow.

AND if you read the YouTube comment section for Spinning Man you see over 90% of people loved the movie and suspense of it.

Since we talked about Pauly Shore the other day I found this on YouTube for free.
    I am surprised he allowed us to watch his movie in high quality for free.
    It's not exactly a cohesive movie but it has a lot to offer in low brow comedy.
    And I'm really surprised that he took so many shots against himself in the movie as conceded as he sometimes appears to be.
    He really was a good sport about the whole thing and other actors/comedians took shots at themselves too.
    I could list all the funny bits and shots taken but it's a somewhat long list.
    I mean he got all his famous friends to basically do cameos.
    Even Woketard CIA Agent Sean Penn did a funny bit where Paulies friend is supposed to mention him and never does.
    Even though Sean keeps trying to remember the kids name and lists all his shows/movies.
    Like I say, it's good for one liners and funny bits.
    And I'm surprised they haven't canceled Pauly since the prison yard scene has a whole Nigga/Nigger bit in it and Pauly says the word many times over.
    The line with Tom Sizemore saying no that's Michael Madsen was pretty Fucking Hilarious as they do look and act similar.
    The movie has a home video vibe to it but I found the movie to be funny enough.
    Carrot Top buying his house and needling him about having his own sitcom now was pretty funny too.
    And Pauly asks his neighbor... who takes a bigger shit? You or your dog?
    Depends on which one of us watched Bio-Dome last, lol... the movie has good cracks (jokes) in it.

Last edited by monet; 05-12-2023 at 12:05 AM.

I don't think our movie reviewing capabilities are out of whack.
    I think that Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB are manipulated with fake accounts.
    And I think it's a generational gap.
    Kids born in the mid 90s don't have the attention span for well-crafted movies that burn slow.

AND if you read the YouTube comment section for Spinning Man you see over 90% of people loved the movie and suspense of it.

Since we talked about Pauly Shore the other day I found this on YouTube for free.
    And I'm really surprised that he took so many shots against himself in the movie as conceded as he sometimes appears to be.
    He really was a good sport about the whole thing and other actors/comedians took shots at themselves too.
    Even Woketard CIA Agent Sean Penn did a funny bit where Paulies friend is supposed to mention him and never does.
    Even though Sean keeps trying to remember the kids name and lists all his shows/movies.
    And I'm surprised they haven't canceled Pauly since the prison yard scene has a whole Nigga/Nigger bit in it and Pauly says the word many times over.
    The line with Tom Sizemore saying no that's Michael Madsen was pretty Fucking Hilarious as they do look and act similar.
    Carrot Top buying his house and needling him about having his own sitcom now was pretty funny too.
    Depends on which one of us watched Bio-Dome last, lol... the movie has good cracks (jokes) in it.
    Thanks for the reco Monet, I haven't seen this movie and will watch it. Also thanks for the tip regarding reading the Youtube comments section of Spinning Man - who knows, maybe some of the comments will contain leads to other similar movies from fellow moviephiles.

Thanks again for the reco Monet. I watched the movie. As you write, the list of funny things is very long. Here's a few. The Sam Kinison impersonator was a rock star - dead-on impersonation. Cory Feldman selling Pauly drugs in a back alley. Kurt Loder doing his thing. Pauly did an amazing job cramming all that funny stuff into one movie. All in all, a light-hearted pleasant experience which is what I was wanting out of this movie.

Thanks again for the reco Monet. I watched the movie. As you write, the list of funny things is very long. Here's a few. The Sam Kinison impersonator was a rock star - dead-on impersonation. Cory Feldman selling Pauly drugs in a back alley. Kurt Loder doing his thing. Pauly did an amazing job cramming all that funny stuff into one movie. All in all, a light-hearted pleasant experience which is what I was wanting out of this movie.
    It has enough comedy in it to warrant a viewing.
    Charlie Sheen... pretty funny cameo.
    Michael Madsen is 6 inches longer than Tom Sizemore... pretty funny.
    Adam Sandler doing his voice harassing Pauly Shore in Solitary Confinement... Hilarious.
    I make 20 Million a Movie while you do nothing lol.
    Ben Stiller saying that if his mother owned a comedy club that he would be on top too was pretty good self-deprecating humor against Shore.
    I don't like that Pauly Shore bleeped out him saying the N-Word with the hard ER at the end but you can find other uploads that don't edit the movie on youtube for free.
    I guess Pauly Shore is so irrelevant these days that not even saying the N-Word many times over is enough to cancel him in 2023.

Movie reco:Triple 9 (Casey Affleck/Woody Harrelson). Hard-boiled,very solid crime/drama thriller. Please disregard this post if you have seen this movie.

I probably watched this movie years ago and forgot about it.
    It was ok, better than most things made today but not a reco for this thread.
    More of a; "hey if you got nothing better to do or watch kind of a thing."
    I like the premise and I think most of us could rewrite and edit a better story.
    The movie runs too long and the story is a bit too choppy and very unrealistic most of the time.
    It has higher reviews on IMDB that I could ever imagine.
    Not sure what they were watching lol?
    Aidan Quinn as a Cuban American with an Irish American Mother... odd lol.
    The movie ends the same way Salvador (1986) ended but Salvador is worthy of rewatching and owns a spot in my DvD Collection.
    Even though I bought this movie, I do not anticipate a rewatch within the decade.
    Sheer Economics got me to purchase it as it was only a dollar more compared to renting it.
    I liked when the Covert Russian Hit Squad got to work, near the end, but hard to believe they fell for what they fell for.

Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    That's an interesting analysis of the movie "Spinning Man" and the dynamics between Pierce Brosnan's and Guy Pearce's characters. It's true that throughout the film, there is uncertainty surrounding the guilt or innocence of Guy Pearce's character in relation to the high school student's death.

Your perspective on the likelihood of Guy Pearce's character being innocent based on the forensic evidence and the absence of incriminating evidence in the car makes sense. It highlights the complexities of the story and the different layers of suspense and ambiguity that contribute to its Hitchcockian atmosphere.

It's fascinating how interpretations and theories can vary among viewers, and discussions like these add to the intrigue and enjoyment of the film.
    Edward are you familiar with chatGPT and/or other Large Language Model apps ?

Thread Information