Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Welp... The Sorcerer (1977) and Man on Fire (1987) were easy enough to obtain with just clicking and the use of a credit card.
    The Farmer (1977) looks near impossible but it has a lot of interest.
    Not sure how IMDB rates it at 5.4 with only 7 user ratings that give it a 8 to 10 rating?
    I guess a couple of those reviews gave it a 0 by accident.

On another note I have been watching the Prisoner tv show and enjoying that.
    I feel like the episodes are getting redundant but that doesn't take away from how great the show is.
    Many people post about how original it is but I feel that it is very much like 1984 and Big Brother.
    I can think of at least 5 movies that have certainly stolen from this tv show though.
    Last edited by monet; 10-13-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Welp... The Sorcerer (1977) and Man on Fire (1987) were easy enough to obtain with just clicking and the use of a credit card.
    The Farmer (1977) looks near impossible but it has a lot of interest.
    Not sure how IMDB rates it at 5.4 with only 7 user ratings that give it a 8 to 10 rating?
    I guess a couple of those reviews gave it a 0 by accident.

On another note I have been watching the Prisoner tv show and enjoying that.
    I feel like the episodes are getting redundant but that doesn't take away from how great the show is.
    Many people post about how original it is but I feel that it is very much like 1984 and Big Brother.
    I can think of at least 5 movies that have certainly stolen from this tv show though.
    You know I vaguely remember seeing The Sorcerer like some 40 years ago. Transporting nitro in the jungle somewhere.

That sucks about The Farmer. Kinda what I ran into a couple years ago when I last thought about it.
    Thanks for the research and let me know if you find anything else about it.

Pretty good movie that could be considered Classic Noir.
    Based on a True Story... based.
    Definitely worth a watch when you have time and are in the mood.
    This movie is slow and takes time to develop but is worth it IMO.
    The best quote in the movie has to be...
    "Robbery is a Profession, not a Trade."
    Seems to be fitting for the world of gambling or gamblers.

The Spider and the Fly (1949)

Last edited by monet; 10-18-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    TP & Monet

You guys probably watch or have seen A LOT more movies than I, but there was a movie I saw with a buddy in 77' or 78' at a drive-in in Brentwood Ca. called The Farmer. It's a classic 70's revenge flick that apparently is ultra rare to find now.
    Wondering if either of you have ever seen it.
    Okay here’s another offbeat 70’s movie that unlike The Farmer I haven’t seen. It’s simply titled Shoot. In the late 70’s I read the novel Shoot (loved it) and it wasn’t until years later that I realized they made a movie in 1976 based off the novel. It’s based on a group of military veterans who while out hunting encounter another group across a river and without provocation are fired upon. It stars Cliff Robertson and Ernest Borgnine and was mostly panned by critics. Apparently it had an anti gun theme that was supposed to show the evils of easy access to weaponry or something like that. Sounds familiar huh? Anyhow it’s not on DVD. Let me know if you’ve seen it.

Okay here’s another offbeat 70’s movie that unlike The Farmer I haven’t seen. It’s simply titled Shoot. In the late 70’s I read the novel Shoot (loved it) and it wasn’t until years later that I realized they made a movie in 1976 based off the novel. It’s based on a group of military veterans who while out hunting encounter another group across a river and without provocation are fired upon. It stars Cliff Robertson and Ernest Borgnine and was mostly panned by critics. Apparently it had an anti gun theme that was supposed to show the evils of easy access to weaponry or something like that. Sounds familiar huh? Anyhow it’s not on DVD. Let me know if you’ve seen it.

Shoot (1976)
    Full Movie

The movie probably got blacklisted from the SJWs.
    About 5 to 6 minutes in, the guys keep calling each other a bunch of Faggots.
    Seems to be against the law these days.
    The obscurity and the derogatory use of the word "faggot" is enough for a viewing.

Last edited by monet; 10-19-2020 at 08:49 PM.

TP & Monet

You guys probably watch or have seen A LOT more movies than I, but there was a movie I saw with a buddy in 77' or 78' at a drive-in in Brentwood Ca. called The Farmer. It's a classic 70's revenge flick that apparently is ultra rare to find now.
    Wondering if either of you have ever seen it.
    Danny, thanks for posting this. I have not seen it. I echo Monet's sentiments and will now watch the full movie on Youtube. Monet thanks for posting the link to the full movie.

I thought Shoot was good. Since I didn't read the novel, I don't know if it followed the book closely. Thanks again for posting it Danny.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I thought Shoot was good. Since I didn't read the novel, I don't know if it followed the book closely. Thanks again for posting it Danny.
    So I just finished watching Shoot. Much appreciated Monet for posting link. Since I have a much greater appreciation now of 70's themes, culture and jargon I liked it a lot. I thought Cliff Robertson's portrayal of Rex was good with his quiet cool and stoicism. Reminded me of some of my dad's friends growing up. One line that caught that era well I thought, was when the widow repeated to Rex that she had her .357 ready for any "hippies, junkies and jigs".

I only vaguely remember the book but as is usually the case, was way better than the movie.

So I just finished watching Shoot. Much appreciated Monet for posting link. Since I have a much greater appreciation now of 70's themes, culture and jargon I liked it a lot. I thought Cliff Robertson's portrayal of Rex was good with his quiet cool and stoicism. Reminded me of some of my dad's friends growing up. One line that caught that era well I thought, was when the widow repeated to Rex that she had her .357 ready for any "hippies, junkies and jigs".

I only vaguely remember the book but as is usually the case, was way better than the movie.
    I guess that Rex did not manage to recruit his security guard employee to the Final Battle - or at least I did not see him present during the Final Battle (maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention and he was there).

I guess that Rex did not manage to recruit his security guard employee to the Final Battle - or at least I did not see him present during the Final Battle (maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention and he was there).
    No, I don’t think he was in the firefight, which kinda makes the store scene a puzzler. After Rex asked to have a talk with him, I liked his line, he said “what are you going to fire me for being too uppity?”

No, I don’t think he was in the firefight, which kinda makes the store scene a puzzler. After Rex asked to have a talk with him, I liked his line, he said “what are you going to fire me for being too uppity?”
    Yes I also thought that was a good line. And I liked the line "He was a one man army against the Japs" said to Rex by the widower of the guy killed in the woods (during the initial confrontation).

Just finished up with the movie Shoot.
    Not too bad.
    As good as he scouted out the enemy I was surprised he didn't get more information and better prepared.
    lol 100,000 rounds isn't enough if you don't have the hearts and minds of your men.

"If only we gotten there first then we could of cut them to pieces those bastards."

Next up for me, a movie I have been meaning to watch and I see it is on Youtube so why not?
    Overture Included!

Grand Prix (1966)

Not too bad.
    As good as he scouted out the enemy I was surprised he didn't get more information and better prepared.
    lol 100,000 rounds isn't enough if you don't have the hearts and minds of your men.

"If only we gotten there first then we could of cut them to pieces those bastards."
    IMHO, if that dolt hadn't lost his cool, they might have had a shot at throwing some of the grenades they brought with them into the bunker on the other side of the river as the bunker canopy would have eventually (under the dolt not losing his cool circumstance) had to be opened up so that their enemies could shoot at them.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-20-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Not too bad.

IMHO, if that dolt hadn't lost his cool, they might have had a shot at throwing some of the grenades they brought with them into the bunker on the other side of the river as the bunker canopy would have eventually (under the dolt not losing his cool circumstance) had to be opened up so that their enemies could shoot at them.
    For me it’s about Rex’s paranoia and fascination with revenge and war. No one else thought the other group was going to return. Rex the leader, brought them to that conclusion. Lou thought he was nuts but gave in to his own loyalty. Rex was paranoid but he was also right.

It’s also a statement on those of us who amass large gun and ammo stockpiles (yeah that’s not gonna change) and dream of someday having to use them. Rex was a rich man but his daily life was mundane. He lived for those weekends with his buddies. I get that. The other group was obviously the same way, although down the one man who was a “one man army against the japs”.

Remember in the car ride to the hospital they were drinking and scared but almost giddy about what happened. All but Lou. The guy who got grazed was asking how many shots did so and so get off, and what a great shot Zeke had.

I didn’t like the ending with the young dufus defying orders and yelling and shooting across the river.

Still thinking about it.
    Last edited by dannyj; 10-21-2020 at 08:41 AM.

I didn’t like the ending with the young dufus defying orders and yelling and shooting across the river.

Still thinking about it.
    Great points Danny. In my alternate, pipe-dream ending, the young dolt does not lose his cool. After a few hours of waiting behind the trees, their opponents open the camouflaged white canopy and some grenades are lobbed across the river (yeah I know the range is too far and the grenades would probably explode in mid-air ;-)) into the now-vulnerable bunker as they notice the canopy being opened.

Best, TP.

P.S. Monet, thanks for the Grand Prix reco.

For me it’s about Rex’s paranoia and fascination with revenge and war. No one else thought the other group was going to return. Rex the leader, brought them to that conclusion. Lou thought he was nuts but gave in to his own loyalty. Rex was paranoid but he was also right.

It’s also a statement on those of us who amass large gun and ammo stockpiles (yeah that’s not gonna change) and dream of someday having to use them. Rex was a rich man but his daily life was mundane. He lived for those weekends with his buddies. I get that. The other group was obviously the same way, although down the one man who was a “one man army against the japs”.

Remember in the car ride to the hospital they were drinking and scared but almost giddy about what happened. All but Lou. The guy who got grazed was asking how many shots did so and so get off, and what a great shot Zeke had.

Still thinking about it.
    To keep it simple, Rex got sloppy/comfortable and he ran into a better, more prepared opponent/unit.
    I think of the movie Major Payne and that quote: "Only thing Charlie think about is slip your throat".

I can relate as I have gotten soft and ill prepared over the last 20 years.
    Comfortable or Easy Living is a Cancer to staying sharp.

Monet, thanks for the Grand Prix reco.
    Great Movie actually.
    Plenty of great scenes in the car hearing the engine.
    Would of loved to see that in the theater.
    I've heard it was an experience when it first came out.
    If you get the chance to watch it on a larger screen it is worth it IMO.

I got on a bit of a racing kick last night.
    After Grand Prix I watched "Winning" with Paul Newman.
    I didn't get enough so I watched the 2010 documentary "Senna" after that.
    Last edited by monet; 10-21-2020 at 03:46 PM.

[QUOTE=monet;114258]

Still thinking about it.
    To keep it simple, Rex got sloppy/comfortable and he ran into a better, more prepared opponent/unit.
    I think of the movie Major Payne and that quote: "Only thing Charlie think about is slip your throat".

I can relate as I have gotten soft and ill prepared over the last 20 years.
    Comfortable or Easy Living is a Cancer to staying sharp.

Can't argue that Monet.
    The other unit was already there, ready, (i liked the white winter gear) and seemed to have just as much if not more firepower. To me it also seemed odd that Rex's group seemed to be mostly outfitted with shorter barrel, smaller caliber stuff even though they were fully automatic. Like the young dufus who fired first, he had what looked like to me as a MAC-10. It was 1976 but come on, shooting across that river give me something a little longer barrelled for accuracy.

The other unit was already there, ready, (i liked the white winter gear) and seemed to have just as much if not more firepower. To me it also seemed odd that Rex's group seemed to be mostly outfitted with shorter barrel, smaller caliber stuff even though they were fully automatic. Like the young dufus who fired first, he had what looked like to me as a MAC-10. It was 1976 but come on, shooting across that river give me something a little longer barrelled for accuracy.
    You guys may have misunderstood who was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    It starts around 38:50 of the movie posted on Youtube.
    Marshall Flynn was Ed's roommate at Northwestern.
    Ed was the guy who got shot and killed but Marshall Flynn, his pal, was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    Rex seems to have taken this serious but not seriously enough as he didn't research or scout Marshall out enough.

This whole movie is Allegoric.
    The events of the movie are just the vehicle to get you to actually think.
    Much of it is open to your own interpretation and life experiences.
    We could literally break this movie down endlessly.
    It is obvious that this movie isn't about some bad hunting experience/accident that went wrong.
    I'm glad that dannyj brought it to our attention and I must admit it was far better than I expected.
    Now I just need to figure out how to copy it from youtube and burn it to a dvd.
    Last edited by monet; 10-21-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Great Movie actually.
    Plenty of great scenes in the car hearing the engine.
    Would of loved to see that in the theater.
    I've heard it was an experience when it first came out.
    In the mid-70's I remember going to the movies and they had some contraption set up (Sensurround) so that the theater would seem to vibrate during disaster scenes (Hollywood was on a disaster movie Jones at that time). If my memory serves me, when I saw the movies Towering Inferno and Earthquake at the theater you would feel the earthquake and disasters as they occurred because of this tech.

You guys may have misunderstood who was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    It starts around 38:50 of the movie posted on Youtube.
    Marshall Flynn was Ed's roommate at Northwestern.
    Ed was the guy who got shot and killed but Marshall Flynn, his pal, was the One Man Army against the Japs.
    Rex seems to have taken this serious but not seriously enough as he didn't research or scout Marshall out enough.

This whole movie is Allegoric.
    The events of the movie are just the vehicle to get you to actually think.
    Much of it is open to your own interpretation and life experiences.
    We could literally break this movie down endlessly.
    It is obvious that this movie isn't about some bad hunting experience/accident that went wrong.
    I'm glad that dannyj brought it to our attention and I must admit it was far better than I expected.
    Yes I misunderstood Monet. I thought it was Ed that was the one man Army and not his highly capable college roommate (then was it Marshall who was following Rex and getting intel for the Final Battle ?). The other thing I very very briefly misunderstood was at the beginning of the movie when they first encountered the other group in the forest - for a moment I thought that the hunting group was looking at their own Dopplegangers across the rivers and that this was a supernatural thriller (having not read the novel).

Thread Information