Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Hi Monet, I have completing my viewing of Death Rides a Horse. I will post my thoughts below the word spoiler so that Danny and other forum members who might be interested in viewing the film and haven't seen it, won't have it spoiled:

Spoiler:
    As usual, Lee Van Cleef did a great job. I thought the film was over the top in a few ways and required a bit more than the average amount of suspension of belief, but was OK (due to Lee Van Cleef). There were no grey areas (like many Westerns) to the villians (except for Lee Van Cleef) - they were 100% evil through and through. I'm looking forward to your thoughts about this movie. I was interested in seeing it since I liked the Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns a lot.

Best, TP.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Hi Monet, I have completing my viewing of Death Rides a Horse. I will post my thoughts below the word spoiler so that Danny and other forum members who might be interested in viewing the film and haven't seen it, won't have it spoiled:
    I bypassed the Spaghetti Western.
    I will watch Death Rides a Horse very soon though.
    This thread has me digging, the last few weeks, for movies I haven't seen or remembered.
    Not even sure how I ran into this movie but Faye Dunaway and the content forced me to watch.
    A bit Redundant and Cliché but certainly worth multiple viewings IMO.
    Certainly a movie ahead of its time.
    Not sure you could find a studio to allow you to make this type of content anymore.
    Broadcast News (1987) tried something similar but you could see how they toned/watered it down when comparing.
    After 11 years, you think they would of pushed the edge even harder.
    Full Movie with No Ads posted below.

The Sheep vote "Rocky" to win Best Picture over this Film!?
    Figures.
    At least this Movie should of won Best Documentary... snicker, snicker.
    I guess they give it Best Writing/Screenplay so got to spread the manure around.

Network (1976)

https://archive.org/details/Network1976
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 10-26-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks for the reco and link Monet. I do vaguely remember this film being released - I will try and watch this film shortly. There was a newer movie (circa 2015) released that took on the scene reporting to a new limit. This guy would go around filming crises around town (Los Angeles I think) and then sell the footage to various networks as a freelancer. He was a sociopath, so he needed to grow his revenue,status and business at all costs. It got to the point where he would induce crises, film it, and then sell the footage. I forgot the name of the film but I saw it a few months ago on television.

Thanks for the reco and link Monet. I do vaguely remember this film being released - I will try and watch this film shortly. There was a newer movie (circa 2015) released that took on the scene reporting to a new limit. This guy would go around filming crises around town (Los Angeles I think) and then sell the footage to various networks as a freelancer. He was a sociopath, so he needed to grow his revenue,status and business at all costs. It got to the point where he would induce crises, film it, and then sell the footage. I forgot the name of the film but I saw it a few months ago on television.
    I remember that movie.
    Nightcrawler (2014)
    Decent Movie and I liked the dark humor/irony of the final scene.
    If you watch Network (1976) I think you will agree that it is far superior, even with its longwinded flaws.
    Or the sick mind games between William Holden and Faye Dunaway, although that is very realistic as it happens in life all the time.

My next movie is Death Rides a Horse, this morning though, so I can read your review and share mine.
    Not sure how this thread has survived the usual members changing the topic or bashing one another?
    I can't believe how this thread started with John Wick 3... no offense to you but I find that comical.
    In fairness I have watched some really bad movies in the last few weeks.
    It was amazing how far I made it through many of them or watched the entire film.
    I'm embarrassed to even list them.

Last edited by monet; 10-26-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I remember that movie.
    Nightcrawler (2014)
    Decent Movie and I liked the dark humor/irony of the final scene.
    If you watch Network (1976) I think you will agree that it is far superior, even with its longwinded flaws.
    Or the sick mind games between William Holden and Faye Dunaway, although that is very realistic as it happens in life all the time.

My next movie is Death Rides a Horse, this morning though, so I can read your review and share mine.
    Not sure how this thread has survived the usual members changing the topic or bashing one another?
    I can't believe how this thread started with John Wick 3... no offense to you but I find that comical.
    In fairness I have watched some really bad movies in the last few weeks.
    It was amazing how far I made it through many of them or watched the entire film.
    I'm embarrassed to even list them.
    Monet, thanks for identifying the movie as Nightcrawler. I agree with you that Network (which I hadn't seen until 3 hours before this post) was vastly superior to Nightcrawler. For starters, the cast of Network consisted of some of the greatest actors in the history of American actors and actresses - Hollywood royalty if you will; as you know. Then you have the prophetic nature of the film - knowing with perfect accuracy what the future of "news" would be. I guess this means that at some point we will see an assassination to save a hit show and salvage its ratings;as that part of our future has yet to be fullfilled by the Network prophecy. I enjoyed the truth-telling that went on about the ruthlessness of corporate culture. Especially Big City corporate culture, where chess games go on endlessly and the greater the ability to think ahead in chess moves the higher the person rises in wealth, power and status.

I would like to thank you for breathing life into the Movie Reco thread. Without your intervention it would have consisted of posts of me naming movies that I just saw that I enjoyed, with no further detail or discussion. Luckily this thread is not in the Vegas section, otherwise it would have been perverted and disintegrated as you pointed out.

Favorite Network quotes (from memory so not 100% accurate probably):
    1. "... surpassed only by the Six Million Dollar Man, All in the Family, and Phyllis (this last one almost sent me the floor rolling).
    2. Duvall's character: " you get your psychiatrists, I'll get mine

Spoiler:
    As usual, Lee Van Cleef did a great job. I thought the film was over the top in a few ways and required a bit more than the average amount of suspension of belief, but was OK (due to Lee Van Cleef). There were no grey areas (like many Westerns) to the villians (except for Lee Van Cleef) - they were 100% evil through and through. I'm looking forward to your thoughts about this movie. I was interested in seeing it since I liked the Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns a lot.

Best, TP.
    I watched Death Rides a Horse and found it enjoyable.
    Highly Entertaining at times.
    They did a great job with the HD transfer.
    Reminded me of many movies along the same lines.
    Too Many to list all the similar Westerns like Nevada Smith (1976)... etc etc.

"Hate is Hate" was probably my favorite line.
    I couldn't agree more with those sentiments.

It also reminded me of Terence Hill movies.
    Would of liked to seen Terence Hill as the kid.
    If you haven't seen They Call Me Trinity (1970) or Trinity is Still My Name (1971) you probably should.
    However, My Name is Nobody (1973) is probably my favorite with Terence Hill and it stars Henry Fonda.
    Any Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movie can be a good watch and they have plenty of them to choose from.

I kept trying to figure out where that musical theme was used.
    It's hard to keep up with Ennio Morricone and all his great music.
    Finally after looking it up I found it on Youtube and it was used in Kill Bill Vol 1.
    A great Song Reco as well...

Favorite Network quotes (from memory so not 100% accurate probably):
    1. "... surpassed only by the Six Million Dollar Man, All in the Family, and Phyllis (this last one almost sent me the floor rolling).
    2. Duvall's character: " you get your psychiatrists, I'll get mine
    This movie goes from Suicide to Assassination in about 2 hours.
    Such a calm discussion about assassinating a guy.
    Sad but Realistic.
    The start of the movie highly resonated with me.
    We could go on and on but most agree that it is a great film.
    Not only did it win many awards but...

In 2000, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
    In 2002, it was inducted into the Producers Guild of America Hall of Fame as a film that has "set an enduring standard for American entertainment".
    In 2005, the two Writers Guilds of America voted Chayefsky's script one of the 10 greatest screenplays in the history of cinema.
    In 2007, the film was 64th among the 100 greatest American films as chosen by the American Film Institute, a ranking slightly higher than the one AFI had given it ten years earlier.

As many dvds that I own and movies that I have watched, I am embarrassed that I never seen this film till just yesterday.
    Not sure how this movie alluded me so long!?
    Perhaps, because I never ran into on TV before everything went digital.
    I find it odd but perhaps the powers that be didn't want to air it on their Network.
    The truth is, I wasn't ready for this film till after 40 anyway so I wouldn't of comprehended the subject material.
    Last edited by monet; 10-26-2020 at 11:19 PM.

I hate to keep listing movies but currently watching movies that I haven't seen has been a bit of a domino effect for me.
    Network (1976) ran me into the movie: Save the Tiger (1973).
    Good Movie for me because I can relate.
    I loved seeing the old remote controls and tape player machines.
    Back when everyone drove a boat as their daily drive.
    He even has a phone in the car like the Cannon TV Show.
    Jack Lemmon won the Academy Award for it so that says something.
    I couldn't find it for free so I took a 7 day trial and was able to watch it.
    I like to watch realistic, depressing movies dealing with struggle though.
    Who am I kidding, I like to watch most movies except for the new, woke garbage that has been taking over the industry.

Last edited by monet; 10-26-2020 at 11:38 PM.

I went back and re-read this thread.
    I must of dismissed or forgot about the recommendation of the Great Waldo Pepper (1975).
    I am pretty sure I have seen this a few times but it has been so long that I am going to watch it, if I can find it.
    Who doesn't like Robert Redford anyways?
    For a long time in the 80s Roy Hobbs was my go to movie.
    I talked to Wilford Brimley once, at the Horseshoe but I made a classic blunder in the conversation and that ended it lol.
    I also met Paul Newman once but didn't recognize him lol.
    He chatted me up and I dismissed him.
    I'm an asshole, plain and simple.

Spoiler:

Best, TP.
    I watched Death Rides a Horse and found it enjoyable.
    Highly Entertaining at times.
    They did a great job with the HD transfer.
    Reminded me of many movies along the same lines.
    Too Many to list all the similar Westerns like Nevada Smith (1976)... etc etc.

"Hate is Hate" was probably my favorite line.
    I couldn't agree more with those sentiments.

It also reminded me of Terence Hill movies.
    Would of liked to seen Terence Hill as the kid.
    If you haven't seen They Call Me Trinity (1970) or Trinity is Still My Name (1971) you probably should.
    However, My Name is Nobody (1973) is probably my favorite with Terence Hill and it stars Henry Fonda.
    Any Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movie can be a good watch and they have plenty of them to choose from.

I kept trying to figure out where that musical theme was used.
    It's hard to keep up with Ennio Morricone and all his great music.
    Finally after looking it up I found it on Youtube and it was used in Kill Bill Vol 1.
    A great Song Reco as well...
    thanks for the movies recos and great job IDing the musical theme Mnnet. I am glad to hear that you hadn't seen Death Rides a Horse and that you enjoyed it. I needed to get my suspension of reality game on a little better than I did while watching this. For example, it's great that they were able to pass out the "rifles/guns from nowhere" to all the townsfolk (half of whom were obliterated while trying to execute Lee's plan) during the Final Battle and that all the characters present at the massacre that the protagonist John Philip Law witnessed as a child still wore their identifying trinkets all those years later. Stranding each other without a horse constantly also did not appear to result in any insurmountable problems for Lee or the protagonist John Philip Law (really they were both protagonists). Per the usual, when the gambling occurred, the Saloon owner/family-killer got a highly improbable hand (quad Aces, just like his identifying tattoo) against the protagonist (who then claimed he got one too in order to get the kettle stirring). Anyhow, I'm glad I watched it and really most movies have improbable things going on which is why we watch them in the 1st place (although the truth is stranger than fiction as we have both seen in our own lives). If they had made a sequel where the duo become bounty hunting partners or some such, I would definitely have watched it - to put things in perspective.

I went back and re-read this thread.
    I must of dismissed or forgot about the recommendation of the Great Waldo Pepper (1975).
    I am pretty sure I have seen this a few times but it has been so long that I am going to watch it, if I can find it.
    Who doesn't like Robert Redford anyways?
    For a long time in the 80s Roy Hobbs was my go to movie.
    I talked to Wilford Brimley once, at the Horseshoe but I made a classic blunder in the conversation and that ended it lol.
    I also met Paul Newman once but didn't recognize him lol.
    He chatted me up and I dismissed him.
    I'm an asshole, plain and simple.
    Yes Robert Redford is in a lot of great films (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, and on and on and on). I liked that recent one (1992) he made called Sneakers with Dan Akroyd which you've probably seen. Before I forget, I noticed in the Nighcrawler clip you just posted that when the vans went their separate ways, the van on the left casually ran the red left turn stop signal. Gaffe or did they just not care that late at night ? Probably the latter.

Movie Celebrities - very little exposure to them. I talked with Robert Clary (Hogan's Heroes) for about an hour once circa 1987 in San Jose,CA;he's a really nice guy. I talked with Steve Guttenberg (Police Academy, Short Circuit) for about 20 minutes when he was debuting his independent film P.S. Your Cat is Dead (based on a novel of the same name) at an independent film theater in Berkeley,CA back in 2002; the film was awful IIRC (I sure as fuck didn't tell him that), but he seemed like a nice guy. I might be forgetting some other encounters, but it is a small list for certain.

Network - I guess Peter Finch (Howard Beale) was following a similar trajectory as VCT 18YO clown AndrewG (substitute compulsive gambling for suicidal depression) until he (Finch) got his evangelist 2nd chance (only to be assassinated). So again the film really depicts real life so well.

Might as well recommend this movie since it follows the theme I have been on with movies like Network, Save the Tiger, Days of Wine and Roses and others of the like.
    Wait a second. I didn't list Wine and Roses but its a good film with Jack Lemmon and oddly enough it has the TV Star Oscar Madison with the Film star Felix Unger.
    I find that an interesting coincidence.

Anyways I hear the book/novel is far superior compared to the film in this next reco.
    I read that it took Hollywood 25 years to even consider turning it into a movie.
    Makes sense as I am sure those people in that era, didn't really want a story out there, like this, bashing them.
    The book was written by someone who wrote during the B Film Era in the 30s and some of his characters are based on real life people.
    Too Bad the Film softens up the characters, trying to make you like them a bit, as they weren't supposed to be liked or rooted for.
    I fast forwarded the drag queen song scene, as it wasn't necessary but I get why it is in the story.

It's a long movie at 2 hours and 24 minutes but its worth a viewing just so the viewer can gather their own opinion.
    Also, I don't believe you will ever see films made like this again so it has that going for it.
    One thing is for sure... You will never think of Homer Simpson the same way again!
    I was trying to place what movie I associate the main character Tod from.
    I had to look it up and he was in the movie Real Genius (1985) ten years later.

Probably the best comment that I read that sums the experience for me...
    "What a Climax!"

The Day of the Locust (1975)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 10-28-2020 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks Monet. I will try and putlocker or 123 The Day of the Locust. Any movie that has Chris Knight's scoundrel professor Jerry Hathaway in it is worth watching.
    Edit: It looks like https://www.popcornflix.com/watch/ch...the-locust?t=0

does the trick. I will watch it this evening.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-28-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks Monet. I will try and putlocker or 123 The Day of the Locust. Any movie that has Chris Knight's scoundrel professor Jerry Hathaway in it is worth watching.

Thanks for posting the link as that works perfectly!

I didn't see the sign he removes from the wall at the start.
    That seems very fitting...

Thank God for Calamities now and then to remind us He is greater than Men.

I wish you well as it is a slow, difficult movie that might have you either wanting to shut it off or fall asleep.
    Another Movie that I think works better in the theater or on wide screen if possible to get the effect.
    Of course, we all have to make do with what we have at our disposal.

If you can make it through, I think you will either love or hate it.
    I don't think you can watch this entire movie and forget it.
    I suppose one could follow it up with Mulholland Drive (2001) as David Lynch basically did his own version or ripped it off.
    Needless to say, that is my next movie so I can compare it to myself.
    Last edited by monet; 10-28-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks for posting the link as that works perfectly!

I didn't see the sign he removes from the wall at the start.
    That seems very fitting...

Thank God for Calamities now and then to remind us He is greater than Men.

I wish you well as it is a slow, difficult movie that might have you either wanting to shut it off or fall asleep.
    Another Movie that I think works better in the theater or on wide screen if possible to get the effect.
    Of course, we all have to make do with what we have at our disposal.

If you can make it through, I think you will either love or hate it.
    I don't think you can watch this entire movie and forget it.
    I suppose one could follow it up with Mulholland Drive (2001) as David Lynch basically did his own version or ripped it off.
    Needless to say, that is my next movie so I can compare it to myself.
    I saw Mulholland Drive when it first came out. If it turns out you enjoy it, you might wish to see Lost Highway (with Baretta - Robert Blake),which was also directed by David Lynch if you haven't already seen it. Due to seeing these movies so long ago I cannot recall the specifics so well anymore, but remember enjoying them. Yes Tod removes the sign from the wall and places a flower, stem first, in the crack (which according to the landlord was caused by an earthquake a few years earlier) that the sign hid.

When I was younger, I got off relatively benignly learning the lessons:
    1. Don't Chase Eye Candy
    2. Stay away from crowds full of morons (I heard about the Who Concert stampede that killed 11 people in the news just after it happened and took it seriously)

My learnings were 100% substantiated after completing my watching of Day of the Locust. It was nice to see Higgins from Magnum PI (John Hillerman) and Thurston Howell's Wife "Lovey" in the film (stag viewing party host). I guess Tod did some stag work to make ends meet while waiting for his big break in set illustrations. I see that the Bad News Bears star Jackie Earle Haley played Adore - he did a great job playing her. Thank you again for the reco Monet - a true reminder of the absolutely horrific mental and physical suffering a person might be subjected to if they are unlucky or do something stupid as you noted above.

I saw Mulholland Drive when it first came out. If it turns out you enjoy it, you might wish to see Lost Highway (with Baretta - Robert Blake),which was also directed by David Lynch if you haven't already seen it. Due to seeing these movies so long ago I cannot recall the specifics so well anymore, but remember enjoying them. Yes Tod removes the sign from the wall and places a flower, stem first, in the crack (which according to the landlord was caused by an earthquake a few years earlier) that the sign hid.

When I was younger, I got off relatively benignly learning the lessons:
    1. Don't Chase Eye Candy
    2. Stay away from crowds full of morons (I heard about the Who Concert stampede that killed 11 people in the news just after it happened and took it seriously)

My learnings were 100% substantiated after completing my watching of Day of the Locust. It was nice to see Higgins from Magnum PI (John Hillerman) and Thurston Howell's Wife "Lovey" in the film (stag viewing party host). I guess Tod did some stag work to make ends meet while waiting for his big break in set illustrations. I see that the Bad News Bears star Jackie Earle Haley played Adore - he did a great job playing her. Thank you again for the reco Monet - a true reminder of the absolutely horrific mental and physical suffering a person might be subjected to if they are unlucky or do something stupid as you noted above.
    Good points and observations.
    I'm impressed with your viewing pace.

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

Mulholland Drive had a budget of 15 million and grossed 20 million.
    John Wick 3 had a budget of 75 million and grossed 326 million.
    I guess people these days enjoy watching someone play a video game on the big screen!?
    I watched an hour and ten minutes before turning it off.
    The first 20 minutes was entertaining but after the knife throwing scene it fell off the cliff.
    My family was done with it after 40 minutes or so.
    The positive reviews have to be paid reviews.
    Plenty of negative 1 star reviews but not enough as it has a 7.5 rating out of 10?

The Day of the Locust:

The best way for me to describe this movie is like cooking spaghetti with the lid on and forgetting about it.
    It takes a long time to come to a boil but once it does it boils over violently.
    As I watched this movie I figured it would have to have a big payoff or I was hoping it did.
    It was nice that I didn't know anything about it and I really got to experience the climax the way the director intended.
    The three movie posters you see at the end have significance and relate but too lazy to look it up right now.
    The movie is a great description of the American Dream or Lifestyle and or the Hollywood Dream as well.
    A movie for cynics like myself.
    Enjoyable enough for me to own a copy.

Mulholland Drive:

I liked it.
    I liked it a lot.
    Interesting Note is that this movie started out as a TV Pilot and got shelved till more funding.
    This has to be why I notice a difference in the cinematography as he spliced it all together.
    Obviously, this movie borrowed from "The Day of the Locust" but that doesn't bother me as the writer/director made it his own.
    People that have a problem with Spatial-Visualization are probably going to struggle with this movie.
    I would describe this movie/story telling as jigsaw puzzle or rubik's cube style.
    I had to explain it to my family.
    I probably didn't catch every detail but like I told them during the movie (because they kept asking what and why)... at the end it should all come together and it did.
    I enjoyed the way the director flipped the viewer around at the end as that was another enjoyable experience.
    Full Movie can be found on youtube with a couple of uploaded choices.
    They even have the original TV pilot that runs about 1 hour and a half for those interested in seeing the rough draft.
    The 2 hour and 27 minute film is more complete/complex.

Last edited by monet; 10-29-2020 at 02:43 AM.

If it turns out you enjoy it, you might wish to see Lost Highway (with Baretta - Robert Blake),which was also directed by David Lynch if you haven't already seen it.
    I will certainly check out Lost Highway.
    Since you like the style of Mulholland Drive I would suggest this movie if you haven't seen it.
    It has been years since I have watched it so today is the day to re-watch it.

eXistenZ (1999)

If it turns out you enjoy it, you might wish to see Lost Highway (with Baretta - Robert Blake),which was also directed by David Lynch if you haven't already seen it.
    I will certainly check out Lost Highway.
    Since you like the style of Mulholland Drive I would suggest this movie if you haven't seen it.
    It has been years since I have watched it so today is the day to re-watch it.

eXistenZ (1999)

Thanks Monet. Yes I enjoyed eXistenZ, which, like yourself, I first saw years ago (in my case when it first came out). I have always enjoyed William Dafoe's movies. I'm glad you deferred watching the first movie reco of this thread, otherwise I probably would have ended up the only participant in this thread ;-). So it seems like we both like the Eraserhead type movies. You might want to give the Bartleby (Crispin Glover) and Willard (Crispin Glover) movies a watch if you haven't seen them. Then there is Fast Sofa (2001) which is a really weird Crispin Glover movie, which I liked (if you see it or have saw it you will get some of the suffering element of Homer Simpson).

Best, TP.

Post Script: Thanks for the youtube mulholland link. I will watch it again in the late afternoon on my friend's Smart TV today since it has the youtube app, as I forgot most of it.
    Last edited by tableplay; 10-29-2020 at 03:08 AM.

Watching this before Youtube Nukes this video lol.

Watching this before Youtube Nukes this video lol.

Thanks Monet - yes I was listening to it yesterday, but it was late at night and I dozed off so I will re-listen to the part I dozed off on. I have completed my re-viewing of Mulholland Drive. My main take is that the movie succeeds in conveying the message that people seeking stardom are eaten up all the time by Hollywood. These star-seekers just don't realize what a long shot it is even if you have all the looks and talent in the world (they are all congregated in one place after all). Well you know all this already, but it is the main message of the film IMHO. Naomi's character deals with it, with her highly detailed dream (recall the movie Jacob's Ladder) and eventual suicide (not a great way to deal with it). Others may cope with it differently (drug use, alcohol,gambling, wanton sex, etc. just like any other trauma). The characters in the dream are really something. In particular The Cowboy.
    Anyway, it was good to see it again as I had forget quite a bit of it having not viewed it again until almost 20 years later.

Cheers, TP.

Thread Information