Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: movie reco

Thanks JBJB. Monet thanks for the reco, I will watch this movie soon.

I forgot about this movie.
    Ran into it last night.
    Probably been about 30 years since I seen it.
    I made the mistake of letting my wife watch it.
    Now she has more anxiety about camping, farms, bears and wildlife.

I read some negative reviews that garner the film as Liberal Tripe.
    It's fun to read the negative reviews.
    I tend to view this movie as a well made cartoon.
    Plenty of flaws if your looking for them but "Bart the Bear" is a Legend.

The Bear (1988)

Last edited by monet; 11-30-2020 at 12:44 PM.

I watched 41 yesterday Monet. Thanks again for the reco, I thought the movie was good. The Aussie's decided to give their own take on Groundhog Day and did a great job.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I forgot about this movie.
    Ran into it last night.
    Probably been about 30 years since I seen it.
    I made the mistake of letting my wife watch it.
    Now she has more anxiety about camping, farms, bears and wildlife.

I read some negative reviews that garner the film as Liberal Tripe.
    It's fun to read the negative reviews.
    I tend to view this movie as a well made cartoon.
    Plenty of flaws if your looking for them but "Bart the Bear" is a Legend.

The Bear (1988)

Thanks Monet, I don't remember this one either. Another good one, in terms of mimicking the real word through computer-generated animation is the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within which you may have seen. After I watched this one back in 2001, when it came out, I thought to myself, shit I guess real actors are going to become obsolete.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks Monet, I don't remember this one either. Another good one, in terms of mimicking the real word through computer-generated animation is the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within which you may have seen. After I watched this one back in 2001, when it came out, I thought to myself, shit I guess real actors are going to become obsolete.
    I never watched FF Spirits Within.
    I tend to dismiss such movies.
    I also never watched Ready Player One, Ghost in the Machine, Lucy or movies of that genre for the most part.
    Not that I am above watching them or watching bad movies, I just figured they had to be horrible.
    In the last few months, I have sat through some really horrible movies lol.

Interesting how you compared 41 to Groundhog Day.
    I must of watched Groundhog Day over 300 times.
    For a long time it was my go to movie.
    I thought about the similarity when watching 41 as well.
    Different premise but similar, if that makes sense.
    I was cheating when I watched 41 because my viewing experience was enhanced with drugs.
    When they started with all those flashing montages it was amazing for me lol.
    I could feel his struggle when they flipped all the scenes of him opening and closing the portal.
    That was kind of powerful to me how he was determined to change the past or get it right.
    I honestly get that feeling when I am chasing progressives over and over and over.
    For a budget of about 3600 US Dollars they put together a damn good movie.
    I think it proves that 100 million dollar budget is never necessary to make a good story.
    I thought I got click baited when I first started watching because the first 5 minutes or so felt like I was about to watch a documentary.
    So that was sort of a nice touch, putting me through the feeling of almost turning the movie off.
    Glad I suffered through that urge.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I never watched FF Spirits Within.
    I tend to dismiss such movies.
    I also never watched Ready Player One, Ghost in the Machine, Lucy or movies of that genre for the most part.
    Not that I am above watching them or watching bad movies, I just figured they had to be horrible.
    In the last few months, I have sat through some really horrible movies lol.

Interesting how you compared 41 to Groundhog Day.
    I must of watched Groundhog Day over 300 times.
    For a long time it was my go to movie.
    I thought about the similarity when watching 41 as well.
    Different premise but similar, if that makes sense.
    I was cheating when I watched 41 because my viewing experience was enhanced with drugs.
    When they started with all those flashing montages it was amazing for me lol.
    I could feel his struggle when they flipped all the scenes of him opening and closing the portal.
    That was kind of powerful to me how he was determined to change the past or get it right.
    I honestly get that feeling when I am chasing progressives over and over and over.
    For a budget of about 3600 US Dollars they put together a damn good movie.
    I think it proves that 100 million dollar budget is never necessary to make a good story.
    I thought I got click baited when I first started watching because the first 5 minutes or so felt like I was about to watch a documentary.
    So that was sort of a nice touch, putting me through the feeling of almost turning the movie off.
    Glad I suffered through that urge.
    That's a great point Monet - 41 definitely gets better (quite a bit so) as the movie progresses. The Final Fantasy movie was notable because of its technical mastery of simulating the real world (and remember this movie was made in 2001). The storyline, and so on, is mediocre as you surmised in your post, over-dramatic and hyper-emotional with characters that have no grey area in the typical Japanese style of those sorts of movies (at least from a round-eye's perspective) IMHO. I really liked Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johansson, but I will not place a reco label on it (you may have seen it and already formed an opinion of course), because I tend to like hyper-tech, far future movies, over-weighting the slickness and super-tech elements of such movies more than I should.

Last edited by tableplay; 12-02-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Another wilderness movie going back a ways that was very good. titled: The Edge

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I love this movie.
    It is very divided in that people either love this movie or hate it.
    I've probably watched it over 100 times.
    I'm sure BLM is mad that the (LOST) black guy gets killed early in the movie.
    So many great quotes that I still use today.

Never too late for a kind gesture, eh Charles?
    What one man can do another can do!
    Cause today, I'm going to kill the MotherFucker.
    They died... saving my life.

I can go on all day with these quotes.
    I haven't watched it in over 6 months, so I'm overdue.

I love this movie.
    It is very divided in that people either love this movie or hate it.
    I've probably watched it over 100 times.
    I'm sure BLM is mad that the (LOST) black guy gets killed early in the movie.
    So many great quotes that I still use today.

Never too late for a kind gesture, eh Charles?
    What one man can do another can do!
    Cause today, I'm going to kill the MotherFucker.
    They died... saving my life.

I can go on all day with these quotes.
    I haven't watched it in over 6 months, so I'm overdue.
    I thought it was great too. Currently, I am going to borrow one of those movie quotes and use it in the Elliot J thread.
    Last edited by BoSox; 12-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Another movie that I thought was really good was titled Midnight Sun

Thanks for the recos Bosox.

Thank you tableplay.

This is an old one but a good one. Cat on a hot tin roof

Here is my favorite scene in a really good movie Titled:

A river runs through it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jU4aU-7uBBkR-k

No Fair Bosox!
    Those last two movies are award winning, mainstream gems.
    You might as well list "The Last of the Mohicans" along with them!
    Just needling you because I just watched the Mohican movie, yet again, last night.
    Love that soundtrack!

I'm looking forward to watching your obscure reco "Midnight Sun" that I never heard of.
    Hopefully its not about some transgender bending theme lol... jk/jk.

I just found out it is a knock off of the original Japanese Movie (Taiyô no uta) in 2006.
    タイヨウのうた which translates... A Song to the Sun.
    After watching this Trailer I certainly will watch the original first.
    They hooked me with the song.
    I watched the American Version Trailer and it is horrible, when compared, IMO.
    That trailer actually turned me off on the 2018 version.
    I may just skip the American Remake altogether but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.
    I enjoy foreign films.
    I'm married to a Slant Eyed, so, you know.

Last edited by monet; 12-03-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Monet, I would also like to see the original version which I was unaware of. How do you even find to rent a foreign film like that? Don't base the 2018 version on the trailer alone, but I have to agree with you that the first version is most likely the best one.

Monet, I would also like to see the original version which I was unaware of. How do you even find to rent a foreign film like that? Don't base the 2018 version on the trailer alone, but I have to agree with you that the first version is most likely the best one.
    Gonna take some research to find this one.
    Depends on how serious you are about watching movies.
    It seems you might be able to change your Netflix Country of Origin and get it.
    It seems you can buy it on Ebay for a bunch of money.
    I'm sure I might be able to track it down via the internet but it looks a bit difficult.
    When I figure it out I will try to let you know.
    If I get rambunctious I will buy it and upload it to youtube and share it with you.
    I do that sometimes when I get looney.
    The thing about this movie is that it launched the girls superstar musical career so it interests me.
    Seems like a good tear jerker from what I can gather.
    That song and her acting in the trailer makes me want to see it.
    Is it worth 50 bucks... I don't know but I go through thousand dollar swings all the time so I don't really care about money

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ong+to+the+sun

Monet, thank you for the very kind offer to upload the movie if you buy it. I will also look into this myself, but embarrassingly I do not how to upload and transfer a movie to someone else, so I, unfortunately, cannot make the same offer.

Thanks BoSox and Monet. I vaguely remember Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, but so much so that I would have to simply watch it again, so it might as well be as if I haven't seen it.

This one is for you tableplay because of the genre we were discussing before.
    Not my usual but this has to be the best movie ever made about a video game.
    I don't enjoy the demonic themes but the movie is highly entertaining and unique.
    I can do without the gay roommate as well but that's Hollywood.
    The movie Rushmore (1998) is a favorite of mine and this is probably Jason Schwartzman's second best movie.
    This movie was basically made for Michael Cera's style.
    Personally, I never liked or played the video game.

Interesting Note is that Thomas Jane was one of the Vegan Police.
    He was really good in the movie called "Stander" in 2003.
    In 2004 he played in "The Punisher" if that is your sort of thing.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

Last edited by monet; 12-03-2020 at 09:12 PM.

This one is for you tableplay because of the genre we were discussing before.
    Not my usual but this has to be the best movie ever made about a video game.
    I don't enjoy the demonic themes but the movie is highly entertaining and unique.
    I can do without the gay roommate as well but that's Hollywood.
    The movie Rushmore (1998) is a favorite of mine and this is probably Jason Schwartzman's second best movie.
    This movie was basically made for Michael Cera's style.
    Personally, I never liked or played the video game.

Interesting Note is that Thomas Jane was one of the Vegan Police.
    He was really good in the movie called "Stander" in 2003.
    In 2004 he played in "The Punisher" if that is your sort of thing.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

I agree Monet, Scott Pilgrim was a very enjoyable movie (situational comedy I guess). Rushmore was off the charts good - one of the best dark comedies ever IMHO. I thought Schwartzman did a good job in Shopgirl with Steve Martin (I watched this one on a date back when it came out).
    I think I remember watching Stander and I remember the Punisher well since I watched it more than once. I liked it, and, as far as I'm concerned, it was a tongue in cheek comedy (I doubt you would think differently about classifying it as such). You might remember the Punisher reboot which came out a few years later. The reboot (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450314/) was ultra-violent but I still liked it.

As far as other video game movies go, I remember Jon Gries (Laslo Hollyfeld) played the Vidiot in Joyticks (if you feel like watching a terrible movie this might be the ticket).

I guess we won't say Tron was the best movie about a video game since of course the movie pre-dates the video game (the Tron pinball machine from Stern is absolutely incredible).

If you haven't seen it, The King of Kong Fist Full of Quarters was a pretty funny video game movie IMHO. It looks like the full movie is available for free here:

Thread Information