Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sweating Todd at the WSOP.

LOL interesting discussions about me here.

Okay, I'll break this all down.

I am fine with what happened at the Main Event.

Do I wish I was at the final table right now, playing for millions? Yes.

Do I think about how close I was sometimes, given that 8596 entered, and I was down to the final 128? Yes.

Do I have any crushing regrets? Not really.

Honestly, I didn't have any hot runs after mid-Day-2, and survived all the way to near the end of Day 5 by dodging landmines and not running into any coolers/beats to bust me. So I kind of just hung out until something bad did happen -- I lost a race with QQ versus AK, and I was down to critically low chips. Then I tripled up, but ran into AA a few minutes later, and I was gone.

I didn't make any kind of stupid mistake to lose my chips. I just ran out of cards.

You're not going to get to the final table of this thing unless you run hot at the right times. You can't just coast into it.

The guy who is probably going to win -- Hossain Ensan -- was sitting directly to my left on Day 5. Good player, but kept getting lucky. I'm shocked that I was able to double up off him earlier in the day (I had KK, he had QQ).

I still took home $59,285. I paid $10k to enter, so it's a $49,285 profit.

Not millions by any means, but not meaningless money, either, and it was fun experiencing the deep Main Event run once again.

I say "once again" because I had a very similar run in 2010, where I ultimately finished 88th. In that one, I was also crippled by a QQ versus AK hand.

Hopefully I'll get there again in fewer than another 9 years, and hopefully this time I'll run hot at the right moment.

Four guys from this forum came down to see me during Day 4, and I enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for that.

Regarding my psychological issues last year, they were NOT from gambling. They sprung from various physical issues at the time, as well as a bad reaction to a certain fairly common medication. At one point, I was in such terrible shape that I had zero quality of life and zero ability to experience any pleasure of any kind. Let me tell you that the period of mid-August to mid-September 2018 was, by a wide margin, the worst month of my life. I'm so thankful that I've recovered from it. Some of the recovery happened on its own, and some of it happened because I figured out best what works for ME (not for other people), and guided my own brain to return to what it once was.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Congratulations on the run and the finish. Your twitter feed is pretty comprehensive so, as usual, we followed it here. My girlfriend stayed awake for the whole "down to nine" bit the other night, which ended at 5:30 AM or so Eastern. She's a more dedicated poker fan than me.

Here's a question -- with all of the inconsistent breaks and hassles, why doesn't the WSOP just use a conference room for a buffet/sandwich spread for the players? I mean, c'mon, just limit it to those who've paid 10K or above in total entries, give 'em a wristband, and let them eat. It would seemingly solve a lot of hassle issues. The horse handicapping world championship tournaments, which only have 500-1000 people, manage to do it without charging the players. Why can't the WSOP swing something like that? In the old Binion's days, I realize there were only a hundred players, but there were courtesy rooms and pretty much anyone could wander in and eat/drink for free, including the press.

And finally, I may have mentioned this, but I was prescribed an antibiotic five or six years ago that could have killed me and really messed up my heart at the time. Doctors couldn't figure it out and thought I had a heart attack at first. I wound up wearing one of those EKG jackets for a week. It was only because one particular doctor had the same covert heart condition and was aware of the medication effects that I was eventually diagnosed. Had I taken more than the two doses I took, it could easily have killed me. The point is, many times a commonly prescribed drug can knock a good percent of the population (in my case three or four percent) for a loop.

Questions: Didn't you sell part of your play, and was that profitable or not? How are your overall results for WSOP in the long run?

What happened to that idiot who pulled his pants down and threw a sneaker onto the table?

No one needs you to explain any medical issues you brought up in the past. Whatever the cause or causes, it's your own business. And no one would ever admit gambling being the culprit on a gambling forum either. So we're left with opinions based on presumed true facts given publicly and that's all they were. Stay well.

He mentioned on PFA that he had (and always does have) 100% of himself in the ME.

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    He mentioned on PFA that he had (and always does have) 100% of himself in the ME.
    He said the same thing on twitter.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    He said the same thing on twitter.
    What does that mean....that he doesn't ever sell any part of himself in the ME?

I was still wondering if he made or lost $$ from wherever he sells himself. I read that on twitter.

He does not take any investors in the Main Event. That could be a general rule for him. It could also be that it's the softest of the tournaments with the highest projected EV, so why sell a piece of yourself?

Then that must mean that his overall profit from this year's WSOP was more than $49,285 because he didn't do as well in those smaller tournaments where he sold pieces of himself? And while he had to pay $10k to enter the ME, we're those smaller tournaments free?

I just went over Todd's twitter feed. He played a dozen events, payed 32K in entry fees, and cashed 4 events for a total of 72K.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Oh, so there are fees for entering the smaller tournaments also, and his +$49k got reduced by about $9k because of them? I imagine he also had to pay a little of that $40k to investors in the smaller tournaments.

I didn't realize people had to pay to play in all those tournaments. If they play in half a dozen and never cash out, it sounds like quite a loss. No wonder the prizes are so high.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Oh, so there are fees for entering the smaller tournaments also, and his +$49k got reduced by about $9k because of them? I imagine he also had to pay a little of that $40k to investors in the smaller tournaments.

I didn't realize people had to pay to play in all those tournaments. If they play in half a dozen and never cash out, it sounds like quite a loss. No wonder the prizes are so high.
    Why don't you get to the point you are trying to make?

There are fees in every tournament. The prize pools will always be less than the entry fee amount. The only ones I think that is exempt are from these fees are the special charity type tournaments like the Big Drops and such.

Actually even the One Drop charity tournament is raked, which is why I refuse to play it.

The only non-raked event I know of is the new $1500 Bracelet Winners Only event, but of course that event is very hard.

I don't sell pieces of the Main Event because I don't want to give away millions if I end up winning it.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I don't sell pieces of the Main Event because I don't want to give away millions if I end up winning it.
    Do you buy pieces of other players actions?

Belated congrats on a successful run.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post

Why don't you get to the point you are trying to make?
    I'm just trying to understand what these people who play in that series of tournaments have for expectations vs. results. IE--is/was the money you make worth all the time, and if you're an annual regular guy participant like Dan is, has it been worth it financially. This is assuming you're not one of the few who hit it big, or one of the many who don't ever win anything.

I have two friends who play in just the ME every year and they never win anything. They each get 10-20 people to split the fee with them. Dan's a different story. He pays his own fees, and he cashes out some. How does it compare?

Rob-that is exactly why I stopped participating in the NHC (horse racing tournament). The time and money to qualify and participate was not worth it for the longshot chance to be one of a few large winners. I find it better to pick my spots in real money tournaments, whether on-line or in person. Just playing for $$$ now, not to gain entry to the big contest.

I only play a couple contests now, if any, for qualification to the NHC. Haven't played but one this year because I go to Keeneland every year anyway and they have the best contest.

There was also a big ego thing in qualifying but once you have done it a number of times it passes.

It looks like 15% of the field is being payed these days. The rake has gone sky high compared to the old days. Their raking 10% in the $1500 events and 6% in the 10K events.

Phil Hellmuth used to say his expectation was 500% of the buy-in. I've heard other pros say 300%. But I really don't know with these huge fields and computer wiz kids today.

I mostly play the WSOP for fun. I don't play many tournaments outside of the WSOP, so I'm a little rusty every year when I come in, but I quickly get back into the mindset.

I'm much more of a cash player.

I really play for the excitement of running deep and maybe winning another bracelet or hitting a big score.

Gotta admit, it started really getting exciting when I passed the final 150 mark in both 2010 and 2019. You start wondering "What if I start running hot now?" and picture yourself winning 10 million and going down in history as the Main Event champion.

I do not sell pieces of the Main, nor do I swap, nor do I buy pieces of others.

I own 100% of me, 0% of everyone else.

I do sell off other events, though.

However, I also won't sell pieces of events under $1000, because those are too small for me to want to start splitting up the prize money (nor is the risk/variance very high for such events, compared to my bankroll).

I mostly play the WSOP for fun. I don't play many tournaments outside of the WSOP, so I'm a little rusty every year when I come in, but I quickly get back into the mindset.

I really play for the excitement of running deep and maybe winning another bracelet or hitting a big score.

Gotta admit, it started really getting exciting when I passed the final 150 mark in both 2010 and 2019. You start wondering "What if I start running hot now?" and picture yourself winning 10 million and going down in history as the Main Event champion.

However, I also won't sell pieces of events under $1000, because those are too small for me to want to start splitting up the prize money (nor is the risk/variance very high for such events, compared to my bankroll).
    I find the "buying a piece" concept kind of interesting. We have this in blackjack with some of the bigger teams selling pieces in the form of investors who invest in the bankroll, but don't play and then own a piece of the profits that the team earns. The big difference is in blackjack unlike the WSoP, there is no public scoreboard and posting of results, so team, team members and investors are on the honor system. The investor has no way to check that the team and/or players won or lost what they say.

And with all the top blackjack teams trust is always the factor that does them in. Even if no one is cheating or skimming off the top, just a general negative run, completely within the parameters of "normal" variance can quickly turn longtime team members and friends against each other. It is the ugly side of human nature. This is why with one exception, my brother, I have always declined any kind of team play. And while I have never really had the opportunity to be an investor, I wouldn't want any part of it with blackjack play. Now if there was a public scoreboard, with public results like poker....that would be a different animal. A way to spread the risk and win opportunity around.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

I find the "buying a piece" concept kind of interesting. We have this in blackjack with some of the bigger teams selling pieces in the form of investors who invest in the bankroll, but don't play and then own a piece of the profits that the team earns. The big difference is in blackjack unlike the WSoP, there is no public scoreboard and posting of results, so team, team members and investors are on the honor system. The investor has no way to check that the team and/or players won or lost what they say.

And with all the top blackjack teams trust is always the factor that does them in. Even if no one is cheating or skimming off the top, just a general negative run, completely within the parameters of "normal" variance can quickly turn longtime team members and friends against each other. It is the ugly side of human nature. This is why with one exception, my brother, I have always declined any kind of team play. And while I have never really had the opportunity to be an investor, I wouldn't want any part of it with blackjack play. Now if there was a public scoreboard, with public results like poker....that would be a different animal. A way to spread the risk and win opportunity around.
    There are other angles that even a scoreboard won't fix. I could sell 250% of myself at 50% markup, then tank in the tournament and walk away with more than a guaranteed min-cash. I don't think this sort of thing happens very often, but given the right situation and network/player it can.

Thread Information