Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horse Racing Angles

Good statistics Smoke, interesting.

very exciting to me to see a potentially truly great horse emerge
    yesterday in the Amsterdam stakes at Saratoga Shancelot blew away the field from post 12
    very close to a track record for 6.5 and his scorching 6 furlong split of 107.63 was faster than Saratoga's track record for 6
    plus he's only 3 years old and can still improve more
    WOW!!!

please don't feed the trolls

Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
    very exciting to me to see a potentially truly great horse emerge
    yesterday in the Amsterdam stakes at Saratoga Shancelot blew away the field from post 12
    very close to a track record for 6.5 and his scorching 6 furlong split of 107.63 was faster than Saratoga's track record for 6
    plus he's only 3 years old and can still improve more
    WOW!!!

Yeah Smoke that was something....Imperial Hint`s race the day before was almost equally as good.....The BC Sprint this year should be insane with Shancelot, Mitole, Imperial Hint, XY Jet and Roy H....also saw a 2 year old filly star make her debut at Del Mar yesterday, Immediate Impact

Half sister to Arrogate. Looks like she can run.

Times got pretty fast over the weekend so be careful with whatever form of “numbers” you use.

2 weeks to the return of colonial downs. Used to love that place.

interesting matchup in the Fourstar Dave stakes at Saratoga tomorrow
    the very impressive mare Uni is taking on the boys for the first time
    the upside is you'll get better odds
    the downside is you just don't know if she'll be intimidated by the bigger male horses

I think I'll pass - I don't like that much uncertainty - but I'll be pulling for her - love to see females beat males

lots of tourists at that track on Saturdays and they sometimes give up mispricings
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-09-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Smoke--I can't find much speed in the race and Uni may need a little more pace to close on the Inner at a mile. The only speed is the outside horse who is a little cheap (although Pletcher and a son of Frankel), and Dr. Edgar who is definitely cheap. Real competitive race but I kind of like the foreign horse but would have to see what he looks like on the track.

I don't know how old you are or if you remember watching Fourstardave and Fourstarallstar run. They just kept running and winning in second tier stakes for years.

yeah, pace is definitely an issue for Uni among others
    if it was a race with just females I wouldn't even care about the pace scenario with a horse that strong - if I could get a halfway decent price
    she's won 5 stakes in a row, 2 of them graded stakes and one was a G1
    in her Grade 1 win she was only the 3rd fave and she beat 12 other horses from post 12 losing all kinds of ground - she's a monster

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    Smoke--I can't find much speed in the race and Uni may need a little more pace to close on the Inner at a mile. The only speed is the outside horse who is a little cheap (although Pletcher and a son of Frankel), and Dr. Edgar who is definitely cheap. Real competitive race but I kind of like the foreign horse but would have to see what he looks like on the track.

I don't know how old you are or if you remember watching Fourstardave and Fourstarallstar run. They just kept running and winning in second tier stakes for years.
    I think Gidu and the 2 horse are gonna set the pace, but you are right, there’s not a whole lot of speed in there....I am gonna go with Raging Bull..tons of class and 2-2 on the Saratoga grass....I think the filly is gonna take a lot of money so hopefully can get anywhere from 3-1- 7/2 on Raging Bull and will pull out the hammer....will probably single him in the P4 and P5 also so if he wins I could be in decent shape

Originally Posted by Keystone View Post

I think Gidu and the 2 horse are gonna set the pace, but you are right, there’s not a whole lot of speed in there....I am gonna go with Raging Bull..tons of class and 2-2 on the Saratoga grass....I think the filly is gonna take a lot of money so hopefully can get anywhere from 3-1- 7/2 on Raging Bull and will pull out the hammer....will probably single him in the P4 and P5 also so if he wins I could be in decent shape
    .................................................. ....

Not trying to talk you off your pick - it's your pick, not mine - just saying

Raging Bull won 5 of 7 in 2018 and hasn't won at all in 2019 - his best finish was 3rd this year

the cappers sent him off for his first race of 2019 at 1.80/1, his 2nd race 5.10/1 and his 3rd race 8.90/1

the 3 comments he got from the chart writers this year were: flattened out, mild late run, and belatedly

Good Luck - if he wins I'm gonna look like an idiot - it won't be the first time
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
    Originally Posted by Keystone View Post

.................................................. ....

Not trying to talk you off your pick - it's your pick, not mine - just saying

Raging Bull won 5 of 7 in 2018 and hasn't won at all in 2019 - his best finish was 3rd this year

the cappers sent him off for his first race of 2019 at 1.80/1, his 2nd race 5.10/1 and his 3rd race 8.90/1

the 3 comments he got from the chart writers this year were: flattened out, mild late run, and belatedly

Good Luck - if he wins I'm gonna look like an idiot - it won't be the first time
    Haha...that’s what’s great about the game, differing opinions...would be no fun if we all landed on the same horse....I think the jock switch to Ortiz is gonna move him up. Sometimes that’s all it takes....that’s what I’m banking on anyway....Good luck to you as well

for a long time I've been able to get free PPs - bloggers post Brisnet PPs for free - but then Brisnet finds out about it and has the site taken down

I can get free PPs with my ADW but you have to make a bet on that track that your getting them - even though a bet is only $2.00 I don't like doing that - betting if I have no opinion

anyway, you can always get the same info from equibase - it just takes a lot longer - you have to click on each horse and take a look - anyway it's better than paying - I'm really cheap

if I was a racehorse I'd be a $2,000 claimer

Saratoga race 9 black type stakes just over - 5.5 on the Turf - the morning line 7/5 favorite the #3 was cold in the betting because he'd never run on turf - they let him go at 5/2 - another precocious 2 year old

they didn't check the workouts because his trainer worked him on the turf twice before the race and he sizzled - so he obviously likes the turf - plus not much strategy required of a jock in a 5.5. distance

the horse's name - "Another Miracle" - but it didn't take a miracle to figure that one out

Smoke-I had already tossed my racing form. Is that the American Pharaoh Horse? I don't remember him even running on turf but his progeny seem to prefer turf. Several turf winners in Europe. I was resistant but been proven wrong.
    Last edited by regnis; 08-16-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Smoke-I had already tossed my racing form. Is that the American Pharaoh Horse? I don't remember him even running on turf but his progeny seem to prefer turf. Several turf winners in Europe. I was resistant but been proven wrong.

yes, he's from Pharoah - I don't bet based on breeding but I don't knock it

they call Missouri "the show me" state

I'm like that - I need to see ability before I bet - I don't make many bets - very few

Travers Day Saturday...a pretty good card overall, not great, but solid...nice to get those rare days once in a while where the entire card isn’t infested with rat pigs....in a preliminary glance gonna go with Tax...drawn outside, and the 6-1 ML you get with Irad is pretty tempting, although I think he’ll go off lower....Smoke and Regnis, thoughts?

Nice looking card. I had Tax in the Jim dandy but I have a hard time using any of these 3 year olds back to back. They just are inconsistent now. I am looking at Highest Honor as a possible value and the Chad Brown improver angle. If I do go for a back to back I prefer Code of Honor.

Haven't looked at the rest of the card yet but looks interesting at first glance.

will probably go with the fave but it won't be a big bet - I warned you guys I was a chalkeater
    there's 2 frontrunners and 1 stalker for him to close into
    Reg mentioned consistency and the fave does always put in a good effort even if he doesn't get the W
    I'll probably get on him in one of the secondary pools
    also, really respect Bill Mott as a trainer - he'll never put a horse out there who is not ready
    Cigar was one of my favorite sports stories of all time
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-24-2019 at 12:28 AM.

thought you guys might like to see this amazing story - horse racing in Indonesia - the jockeys are as young as 5 years old and they retire at age 10

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/w...se-racing.html

Name:  xTIf00t.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  714.0 KB

Name:  Ppfzdxe.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  951.7 KB

Name:  BG8ISMP.jpg
Views: 3162
Size:  831.0 KB

Name:  CParIXV.jpg
Views: 3177
Size:  484.3 KB
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-24-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Justify failed a drug test before winning the Kentucky Derby and should have been DQed
    he tested positive for scopolamine - an illegal performance enhancing drug

I've always suspected Baffert - his win and in the money %s have been so very high

another body blow for Santa Anita and California racing - that is where the test was performed - looks like they covered it up probably to protect Baffert who is revered in CA

this is going to be a very big deal - I think it's possible they will retroactively take away his Derby win - declare it inauthentic for historical records - but those gamblers who bet against him will still be SOL - they're not going to be compensated

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/s...gtype=Homepage
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 09-12-2019 at 03:39 AM.

While I am not a Baffert apologist, there are a lot of issues on this "drugging" that will never be solved. The best defense is always the claim that it was environmental contamination (in this case jimson weed), as it is hard to prove otherwise. I don't believe this case will go anywhere.

Thread Information