Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse - Not impressed at all

Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse is a small chain steakhouse (currently owned by restaurant giant Landry's), of which the Vegas location exists inside the Golden Nugget downtown.

It has had an excellent reputation for a long time.

About 10 years ago, I kept hearing rave reviews of the place, and was told it was the best steakhouse in Vegas. I was told not to be fooled by the downtown location, and that it was far better than the best steakhouses on the strip.

I went with a friend at the time, and while I enjoyed the meal, I didn't think it was anything special. Seemed like a typical prime steakhouse to me, at typical prime steakhouse prices. Still, I liked it, and planned to return someday.

I didn't get around to going back there until this past New Year's Eve (December 31, 2018).

I was with my girlfriend and son, and we chose the place for two reasons. First, we were staying at the Nugget, so it was convenient. Second, I had remembered the meal and service being good during my one prior visit about a decade ago.

Everything started out okay. The place was especially cramped with the tables close together, but I chalked that up to being New Year's Eve. We lucked out in that our table was in a room which wasn't quite as densely packed.

I also decided in advance that I wouldn't ding them for any slow service, again because of New Year's Eve.

However, slow service wasn't the problem. It was actually a lot faster than I expected, which was good.

The waitress appeared to be friendly, up until we got to the part where I asked about a kid's menu. She said there wasn't one, but they could make a smaller version of certain adult entrees for a reduced price. I was interested in that, and asked her how much it was for a kid's steak dinner. She said, "Ummm... something like $25... $30... I'm not exactly sure."

Then I asked her how big the steak would be. She didn't know that either. "Uhh... I think it's like half the size or something."

I decided I wanted to know specifics, because often at steakhouses the smaller steaks are really bad value, and I would just order him an adult portion if that were the case.

When I asked her to check on the price and the exact size, she got noticeably irritated with me, and said something like, "I told you, it's like $25 or $30 and probably around half the size."

When I repeated that I'd like to know the exact information, she angrily stormed off without saying a word.

Keep in mind that prime steakhouse servers are supposed to be overly friendly and accommodating, and are never supposed to bitch about having to do a tiny bit of extra work (such as going back to ask a question). This is because the expensive prices allow them to make very good money on tips, and thus the service needs to be commensurate with that. This isn't a truck stop diner.

Still, I decided I wouldn't complain about her rudeness, but things were already off to a bad start. I was afraid to piss her off again.

When she came back with the info, I decided it was a fairly good deal, so I ordered the kid's steak for my son, and I also ordered a steak, as did my girlfriend.

I ordered mine medium, and it came that way. My girlfriend ordered medium-rare, and hers came looking more like medium. However, she initially decided to just keep quiet and eat it anyway, not wanting to further piss off the already surly waitress.

However, after eating maybe about 35% of the steak, it was no longer medium, but well done. This is common with steaks, which can sometimes cook unevenly. Keep in mind that NONE of the steak was medium-rare, and she ate the medium and medium-well parts (while not enjoying it), finally giving up when most of the rest of it appeared well done.

I called the waitress over and showed her.

"She ate too much of it already, there's nothing we can do," she rudely barked at me.

I explained that 2/3 of the steak was still left, and that it was clearly well done, which is far from medium-rare.

"That looks medium-rare to me," she said, clearly lying her ass off. After we didn't get anywhere, I asked for the manager.

In my prime steakhouse experience, the managers actually overcorrect problems. For example, at a different prime steakhouse I had dined at in 2018, the manager came by and asked how my meal was. I didn't ask for him, he was just checking around. I replied, "Well, it's mostly good, except my steak is medium-well instead of medium. But don't worry about it, I wasn't going to send it back. It's not bad." Instead, the manager INSISTED he replace the entire steak (even though I had eaten half already), plus took it off my bill anyway. He did all of this on his own. I never asked for a thing, nor did I attempt to complain at any point.

But back to this story. Knowing that managers at prime steakhouses are almost always overly accommodating, I was expecting her steak to be quickly replaced, with no issue. Instead, the guy showed up with an instant chip on his shoulder. First he also tried to assert it was cooked medium-rare. I told him that I have eaten hundreds of steaks in my life, and know what medium-rare looks like. I told him I'd bring up a picture on my phone and we could compare it. He finally conceded, "Okay, it's closer to medium", which it still wasn't. After arguing back and forth, he finally nastily admitted, "Fine, fine, yeah it's probably medium well or well done. But you can't just eat your 3/4 of your steak and then ask for us to make you another one."

I told him that she ate 35% of it at most, and then we got into another argument about what percentage she really ate (lol).

Then we got into yet another argument, where he tried to assert that "it just happens" that steaks get overcooked, and that there's "no way to avoid it". I asked how other steakhouses manage to cook their steaks correctly so often, and he didn't have an answer for that.

Finally he cut me off and snottily said, "Let's stop wasting each other's time here. You obviously want something. What is it?"

By this point, it was about 20 minutes since I first brought the matter to the waitress' attention, both my son and I were done eating, and my girlfriend had lost her appetite after seeing how rude everyone was being.

I told him that I'd like half off for that steak only, and would pay full price for everything else which was okay.

He refused and offered something laughable like a 20% discount on her steak.

We argued again back and forth, and he finally agreed to half, before angrily walking away.

Look, I get that steaks get overcooked, and it probably would have been better if my girlfriend spoke up when she saw her steak was medium instead of medium-rare, but it made sense that she could tolerate medium and not well done like most of it turned out to be.

The worst thing was that we had the smoking gun proof that they screwed it up (2/3 of the steak right in front of her which was obviously way overcooked), and instead of fixing the problem, everyone copped a huge attitude, and the manager tried to turn the whole matter into the high school debate club.

I walked out wondering what the hell just happened. Why was this prime steakhouse so much worse from a customer service perspective than others I had been to throughout my life?

The answer was staring me in the face: It was downtown.

At the Nugget, they expect a lower class of clientele, and therefore don't treat people as well. Even though it's the "best" downtown property, it's not the same as a good strip property.

Thus, at other prime steakhouses, they have more respect for the clientele, and aren't paranoid that their customers are trying to get over on them. At the Nugget, clearly they are constantly on guard that their "lower end" clientele is trying to get one over on them to get otherwise expensive free food, so they try to find reasons to say no, rather than finding ways to make you happy.

Anyway, steer clear of Vic & Anthony's. Never going back.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

"When she came back with the info, I decided it was a fairly good deal, so I ordered the kid's steak for my son, and I also ordered a steak, as did my girlfriend.

I ordered mine medium, and it came that way. My girlfriend ordered medium-rare, and hers came looking more like medium. However, she initially decided to just keep quiet and eat it anyway, not wanting to further piss off the already surly waitress.

However, after eating maybe about 35% of the steak, it was no longer medium, but well done. This is common with steaks, which can sometimes cook unevenly. Keep in mind that NONE of the steak was medium-rare, and she ate the medium and medium-well parts (while not enjoying it), finally giving up when most of the rest of it appeared well done.
    "

Dan, you left one very real possibility out of your story. Namely that they could have deliberately dropped your stakes on the floor or spit on them before your meal was served. Why get the help angry before your meal is served?

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    "When she came back with the info, I decided it was a fairly good deal, so I ordered the kid's steak for my son, and I also ordered a steak, as did my girlfriend.

"

Dan, you left one very real possibility out of your story. Namely that they could have deliberately dropped your stakes on the floor or spit on them before your meal was served. Why get the help angry before your meal is served?
    I wasn't trying to. I just wanted to know the price and size of the kid's steak, which was a very standard and reasonable request, and the waitress just got inexplicably pissed because she was lazy.

Once we complained about the steak, the food was already out. My girlfriend didn't want a replacement partially because everyone else was done, and partially for the reason you mentioned.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

She's lucky you weren't an undercover Professional Food Critic or an Undercover CEO or she would have lost her job that same day......

She wasn't a male waiter, that's the issue.
    Take off that stupid mask you big baby.

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post

Sacre bleu! O.O

Your girlfriend lost her appetite because you were an embarrassment to her. And yes, these poor service people who have to put up with your anal complaining over basically meaningless stuff, wouldn't be excoriated by a great many people if the waiter fooled around with your meal somehow.

Sounds like you guys had a GREAT New Year's eve. You could have--and should have--avoided all the discomfort and negative attention by simply adjusting or eliminating the tip if you felt you couldn't get through to them. Why do you even mention these things.....

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Sounds like you guys had a GREAT New Year's eve. You could have--and should have--avoided all the discomfort and negative attention by simply adjusting or eliminating the tip if you felt you couldn't get through to them. Why do you even mention these things.....
    The waitress had a bad attitude and seems like she may have felt entitled to her tips, however the steak being done like that largely isn't her fault. Those people get sub-minimum wage. If Dan is going to try and not pay them, taking it all out on the waitress is the wrong approach.

It is no surprise you being sucha low-class guy would see it differently.

Make the steakhouse pay for the mistake or don't do anything.

Dan is the guy making sure steaks are cooked properly. More than you've ever done with your life, Rob.

Your girlfriend lost her appetite because you were an embarrassment to her. And yes, these poor service people who have to put up with your anal complaining over basically meaningless stuff, wouldn't be excoriated by a great many people if the waiter fooled around with your meal somehow.

My girlfriend was more pissed about the situation than I was. She was trying to grin and bear it and just eat the steak she wasn't really enjoying, and then finally told me she just couldn't eat anymore because of how badly it was overcooked.

Once the waitress got nasty about it, she was especially pissed hearing the whole thing, and then got even more annoyed hearing the manager be a jerk. She told me she didn't want to go back to the Nugget at all in the future, which is fine because I've burned my comps there, and I don't like the place that much.

I was actually on the fence about the tip for the waitress, because she was rude twice during the meal. I vascillated between leaving zero tip and leaving just 15%, and decided she wasn't quite bad enough to completely stiff, so I left the15%. I will always leave at least 18% if the service is average, but here it was well below average (and I'm talking about her attitude/laziness, NOT the steak mistakes), so I went with 15%, yet didn't withhold it entirely.

But the steak problem was the restaurant's fault, which is why the manager instantly should have said, "Oh you're right, that's well done and not anywhere NEAR medium rare. Would you like another, or would you like it off your bill?"

Instead, the guy tried every excuse in the book, and even attempted to lie that it was actually cooked properly.

I walked out of there pissed enough about my experience to where I considered calling Landry's and making a complaint about this location, but I decided it wasn't worth it, and just vowed never to return, which I won't.

What is this supposed to mean?

The manager was male, and I argued with him more than I did the waitress.

Sometimes being polite isn't the best thing to do..... You are right when you said she should have spoken up after a few bites when she noticed it was well done and definitely not what she ordered or wanted.... But I can see why she was being polite....

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    What is this supposed to mean?

The manager was male, and I argued with him more than I did the waitress.
    It means that women shouldn't be waiters in higher end steakhouses or other fine dining establishments. If your waiter was a man you would never have had the problem. He hopefully would have never even served up that piece of meat in the first place.
    Take off that stupid mask you big baby.

The only thing people can do here is relate to this experience, because we've ALL had to go thru something similar in restaurants multiple times.

The first thing is when you are with your family and on a special night out, you NEVER ever start a scene with a waiter or waitress because of an issue like that. It's embarrassing to everybody, including the people sitting nearby trying to enjoy their meal. You are, in effect, being selfish and rude. You politely ask for the manager or owner and quietly discuss it. If you still feel you were unreasonably treated then you display that in your tip or lack thereof. There is no need to make it a memorable event for all the wrong reasons. And regardless of the show of support on her part, she is embarrassed. Plus it's a negative for the child as well.

Something like this happened to us when our children were young, only it was because I ordered my blackened ahi tuna steak to be well done and not close to pink. It came pink, and the reason given was that the chef just couldn't get himself to "destroy" such a nice cut of tuna. I proceeded to make a stupid scene, not giving in until the restaurant did. Afterwards my wife told me how embarrassed she was and the effect my arguing had on our children.

I learned from my mistake and I've never done anything like that again. It's also a reason people stay together.

I'm so thankful I was born low income and appreciated everything my parents did for me. Dad was a butcher and EVERY night brought home steaks that didn't sell because people wrongly believed they were turning bad because of the darkened meat. He would toss them in a broiler pan, season them, and broil them. I fondly remember even eating one while tears ran down because I had the mumps. My favorite side was sopping the juices/ marrow left from the broiling with bread. God how I miss that! Then I was fortunate to marry into a family who, like Cindy, realized there were more important things than arguing and trying to change circumstances. Now I know this is wimpy to some, but I don't feel beneath anyone who has it better than me.

If you're eating any meat with any pink in it, it IS NOT cooked and you are opening yourself up to diseases!

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    If you're eating any meat with any pink in it, it IS NOT cooked and you are opening yourself up to diseases!
    100% correct.

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    If this were true, then we would be dealing with many millions of people getting food poisoning from steaks every day in the US.

In the few times in my life I've gotten food poisoning, none have been following a steak dinner (I order mine medium).

Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    I'm so thankful I was born low income and appreciated everything my parents did for me. Dad was a butcher and EVERY night brought home steaks that didn't sell because people wrongly believed they were turning bad because of the darkened meat. He would toss them in a broiler pan, season them, and broil them. I fondly remember even eating one while tears ran down because I had the mumps. My favorite side was sopping the juices/ marrow left from the broiling with bread. God how I miss that! Then I was fortunate to marry into a family who, like Cindy, realized there were more important things than arguing and trying to change circumstances. Now I know this is wimpy to some, but I don't feel beneath anyone who has it better than me.
    Did I say anyone was beneath me?

Vic & Anthony's isn't a cheap place. I'm paying good money for the meal, and it needs to be correct. Also, since higher-end restaurants come with an expectation of polite and gracious service (including from the manager), they failed there, as well.

The steakhouse is not doing me a favor to serve me. The customers keep them in business. While I agree you shouldn't whine about every sub-optimal thing in a restaurant, you should always speak up about major problems. And if you don't, you can't begrudge those that do.

The only thing people can do here is relate to this experience, because we've ALL had to go thru something similar in restaurants multiple times.

The first thing is when you are with your family and on a special night out, you NEVER ever start a scene with a waiter or waitress because of an issue like that. It's embarrassing to everybody, including the people sitting nearby trying to enjoy their meal. You are, in effect, being selfish and rude. You politely ask for the manager or owner and quietly discuss it. If you still feel you were unreasonably treated then you display that in your tip or lack thereof. There is no need to make it a memorable event for all the wrong reasons. And regardless of the show of support on her part, she is embarrassed. Plus it's a negative for the child as well.

Something like this happened to us when our children were young, only it was because I ordered my blackened ahi tuna steak to be well done and not close to pink. It came pink, and the reason given was that the chef just couldn't get himself to "destroy" such a nice cut of tuna. I proceeded to make a stupid scene, not giving in until the restaurant did. Afterwards my wife told me how embarrassed she was and the effect my arguing had on our children.

I learned from my mistake and I've never done anything like that again. It's also a reason people stay together.
    "An issue like that"?

My girlfriend couldn't enjoy the main course of the dinner she came to eat. That's a pretty major flaw with the experience right there.

Funny you mention the children. It would upset me greatly to leave this earth before my son knows to stand up for his rights, get value for his money, and not let himself be taken advantage of by businesses or other people. It's actually a great lesson to learn.

Parents who teach their children that it's wrong to speak up when you're getting a raw deal are doing their kids a great disservice.

BTW, I wasn't making a scene or speaking loudly. The only reason the conversation dragged on was because the manager took a simple matter (a very overcooked steak) and tried to turn it into a debate and pissing contest. If this bothered other customers, this was the manager's fault, not mine.

I also love Medium steaks myself, Dan! Well done tastes gross to me. :/ I love the marble of medium!!

Thread Information