Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse - Not impressed at all

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Get real. If V & A's sends you a "Buy one/Get one free" offer after this incident, you be back in there faster than a Hillary Clinton girdle snap.

MAYBE if they sent him a FREE meal without having to pay anything, but it seems like this incident soured the milk for Dan permeanantly and he refuses to spend even another penny on them ever again......

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    Get real. If V & A's sends you a "Buy one/Get one free" offer after this incident, you be back in there faster than a Hillary Clinton girdle snap.

MAYBE if they sent him a FREE meal without having to pay anything, but it seems like this incident soured the milk for Dan permeanantly and he refuses to spend even another penny on them ever again......
    Don't bet on it. Anybody who do frequently can't hack being taken advantage of for twenty bucks or a bottle of Gatorade or for service that doesn't quite respect the level he believes he resides at, will jump at a free meal in a nano second.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    "The answer was staring me in the face: It was downtown.

At the Nugget, they expect a lower class of clientele, and therefore don't treat people as well. Even though it's the "best" downtown property, it's not the same as a good strip property.

Thus, at other prime steakhouses, they have more respect for the clientele, and aren't paranoid that their customers are trying to get over on them. At the Nugget, clearly they are constantly on guard that their "lower end" clientele is trying to get one over on them to get otherwise expensive free food, so they try to find reasons to say no, rather than finding ways to make you happy.

That was all that we needed to hear to figure it all out. Sorry Dan, but, what makes you think you are any better than the lower class of clientele "your words" that frequents downtown? In your own mind you may think that you have some class that puts you above the regular customers but, really all you did was prove that you are another downtown lowlife trying to get a freebie.

Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Mr Dan I agree that at a prime steakhouse they should make your dinner right.

But you raised a new issue: have you had a problem with Southwest Airlines? I've been flying Southwest forever and never had a problem. I don't know anyone who has. Sure there are the usual delays all airlines have, but if there's any airline that goes out of its way to help customers it's Southwest. But you had a problem?

There are people who do have problems and often. I hope you're not one of those.
    Domestically I almost always fly Southwest. I have come to like it for what it is. A middle budget airline which has free baggage and easy rebooking with no rebooking penalty.

When I have had problems like a flight being cancelled at the last minute, I know enough to ask if it is an equipment issue or some other issue like weather. If it is equipment, the operator does not have the authority to help much other than reschedule the flight but I have found that if I mail a detailed letter to Southwest's main customer service office, explaining how inconvenient some equipment caused problem was, I can expect a reasonable amount of free flight vouchers to make it right. So I have had problems with Southwest but since I focus my solution on the department which can help me, I have been satisfied.

FAB

They won't, because I never complained to corporate.

I decided I wasn't interested in returning, so I didn't bother lodging any complaint. So once again, you're incorrect.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post

At the Nugget, they expect a lower class of clientele, and therefore don't treat people as well. Even though it's the "best" downtown property, it's not the same as a good strip property.

Thus, at other prime steakhouses, they have more respect for the clientele, and aren't paranoid that their customers are trying to get over on them. At the Nugget, clearly they are constantly on guard that their "lower end" clientele is trying to get one over on them to get otherwise expensive free food, so they try to find reasons to say no, rather than finding ways to make you happy.

That was all that we needed to hear to figure it all out. Sorry Dan, but, what makes you think you are any better than the lower class of clientele "your words" that frequents downtown? In your own mind you may think that you have some class that puts you above the regular customers but, really all you did was prove that you are another downtown lowlife trying to get a freebie.
    A freebie?

You mean I was trying to get the meal I was paying for? How is that a freebie? Or this is just a pathetic attempt to troll me?

I never said that I felt I was "better" than anyone there. I was explaining how the Nugget views its own clientele. Because it's downtown, they assume that the clientele there is less affluent than the prime steakhouse clientele on the strip, and therefore they are more suspicious of anyone complaining. I was criticizing them for this attitude, not agreeing with it.

Try reading my post more carefully next time. Comprehension is your friend.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by FABismonte View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Mr Dan I agree that at a prime steakhouse they should make your dinner right.

But you raised a new issue: have you had a problem with Southwest Airlines? I've been flying Southwest forever and never had a problem. I don't know anyone who has. Sure there are the usual delays all airlines have, but if there's any airline that goes out of its way to help customers it's Southwest. But you had a problem?

There are people who do have problems and often. I hope you're not one of those.
    Domestically I almost always fly Southwest. I have come to like it for what it is. A middle budget airline which has free baggage and easy rebooking with no rebooking penalty.

When I have had problems like a flight being cancelled at the last minute, I know enough to ask if it is an equipment issue or some other issue like weather. If it is equipment, the operator does not have the authority to help much other than reschedule the flight but I have found that if I mail a detailed letter to Southwest's main customer service office, explaining how inconvenient some equipment caused problem was, I can expect a reasonable amount of free flight vouchers to make it right. So I have had problems with Southwest but since I focus my solution on the department which can help me, I have been satisfied.

FAB
    That fits into their "If X happens, give the customer Y" playbook.

As I said, anything fairly standard they're very good at handling. They are terrible with out-of-the-box solutions. Nobody there has any authority to deviate from the carefully laid out customer service playbook, which can be a problem when you experience a unique issue.

Okay, since some of you are discussing Southwest more than I intended in this thread, I might as well tell you about my two bad experiences with them. The second was a lot worse than the first, but both indicate how poor their customer service is when something unusual occurs.

Keep in mind I only bought Southwest tickets twice in my life, and both experiences sucked.

Incident #1

In 1993, I flew them for the first time. It was a short flight from Sacramento to LA.

You didn't have assigned seats, but instead got boarding passes with numbers on them, and the lower numbers boarded first and got their pick of seats.

My number was low and I was happy, and I got there very early so I could get that.

Then I was standing there waiting to board and saw that my pass was purple and everyone else's was blue.

I brought this to the employee in charge and was told that I was erroneously given the wrong flight's boarding pass. They then replaced it the right color with a high number!

I asked, "Wait, I should have a low number, it's not my fault you gave me the wrong pass", and they refused. They steadfastly told me that it was too bad, and that it "wouldn't be fair to everyone else" if they let met get a low number at that point. I kept explaining that I was there before everyone else, and that was why my original pass had a low number. They said they understood, and that the mistake was their fault, but tough luck on me.

I actually backed down because it was only an hour flight, but then got a terrible seat (couldn't recline), and faced directly to other seats in this weird configuration near the back of the plane, and regretted not making a bigger deal about it.

This was an inconvenience and not the end of the world, but still indicative of their attitude.

I'll post incident #2 in the next post, which was much worse and far more frustrating.

Incident #2

In 2009, Southwest outright stole $100 from me.

Here's what happened:

I had about $500 in airline credit with them, which I had a year to use. This was from a flight which I booked and had cancelled, which they automatically turned into the equivalent amount of Southwest credit. (This was not a favor to me, it was their standard policy at the time, and perhaps still is.)

The credit WAS transferable, meaning I could have legally sold it or given it to friends/relatives. This is important to know, for the later in the story.

The credit lasted for a year, which I knew. After about 10 months, I hadn't used it, and realized I would need to make a decision about what to do with it. I didn't really have anywhere to go for the next 2 months, so I figured that if I couldn't get a free extension, I would either sell it or give it away to friends/family.

I called Southwest, and was told I had to speak to a very specific department about this. Their phone line was ALWAYS BUSY (and I mean an old-school busy signal), and I couldn't get through. I must have tried about 100 times over the next few weeks. It was so frustrating. I called back the ticketing department and kept asking if some other department could help me. They said that there wasn't. I asked about the constant busy signals, and they acknowledged that there was a big problem with people reaching that department, but that my only option was "to keep trying" (lol).

Finally, with just about 3 weeks left until my credit expired, I called ticketing again and begged them to do something. I told them that there was absolutely no way to get through, and a rep finally took pity on me and gave me some helpful advice.

"Submit a callback request on the customer service form on our website. I hear that works."

So I tried that.

Amazingly, I received a call about 24 hours later, and my tickets were extended "for free" for another 6 months. I double-checked that there was no fee for doing this. They promised me there wasn't, and that this was a free one-time extension they gave to anyone upon request. For the moment, I was happy.

A few months later, I called ticketing to redeem my $500 credit for a pair of tickets. "Sorry, sir, you only have $400," I was told. What? After looking into it, the rep told me that $100 was deducted from my credit for the 6-month extension. I was furious! I put in another call back request on the website, hoping they would correct this mistake.

Someone from that department returned my call quickly. They admitted that "most of our reps in this department had the wrong info" regarding the 6-month extension, and had been wrongfully promising customers that they would get extended for free. Well, that was nice to hear. They were taking responsibility, right?

Wrong!

Despite admitting responsibility, they would not restore the $100, stating that it was "just an error", even though it was a verified error was on their part. I reasoned that I would have just given the tickets to a relative to use for full value had I known this (which is true). The person on the other end was sympathetic and said they agreed with me, but that it was "against policy" to restore the $100, and there was "nothing they could do". However, , they said that my request sounded reasonable, and they would get a manager to call me about this to perhaps override the restriction on restoring the $100.

I waited and waited. No call from management. No call from anyone. I gave it a week, and then submitted another form on the web to get called back again. This time nobody returned my call. I tried three different times after that, and never received a phone call. Hmmm.... what happened to them being so prompt in calling back from web form requests?

Finally I got clever and submitted a request in a different name to my second phone number, figuring I would tell them the truth once they called me. (I was afraid that I was being blackballed in some way, even though last I heard, they would be calling me back!)

The trick worked! Two hours after submitting the form, someone from Southwest called me back on my second number, asking for the phony name I submitted. I told them the truth who I really was, and the person on the other end of the call said it was "really strange" that nobody called me back when I submitted it under my real info. They looked into it and came back on the line.

"I don't know how to tell you this, sir," the rep nervously said, "But there's a note next to your phone number saying that nobody is to return your calls ever again, for any reason."

What?!?!?

Keep in mind that I wasn't harassing them with endless calls after being told to stop. No such thing happened. My situation was left up in the air. I was promised a call from management, and then radio silence.

I asked the rep who put that note, and they said that it "looked like it came from management", which was even stranger. Did someone in upper management really ban me from the Southwest customer service line, instead of giving me the call back I was promised? I asked if I could be put in touch with someone in management to ask about this, and I was placed on hold.

Suddenly a gruff-sounding voice appeared on the other end of the line. I asked who I was speaking with, and he gave me his name, identifying himsef as Vice President of Customer Relations. Wow! Did I ever have a story for him! I was thrilled that the VP was taking my call, so I could tell him about this whole sordid mess.

I explained the story to the guy, and he was polite while listening, but then came back with a lot of idiotic and condescending answers.

"You need to understand, you called the wrong department to extend your tickets. Had you called the right number, you would have reached someone who was knowledgeable about the $100 fee, and none of this would have happened," he explained.

"Yes, I tried, but that number was busy during their entire business hours all day every day. I must have tried over 100 times, and every time I reached an old school busy signal, with no way to leave them a message," I explained again.

"Yes, they're a busy department, but obviously you can get through. If you're getting a busy signal, that means SOMEONE is getting through, so that means they're available to be reached," he said in a condescending tone of voice.

"Huh? I told you, I tried over 100 times over a period of weeks, how much more was I expected to keep trying? Wouldn't you say the issue is on Southwest's end if I can't reach them after 100 tries?"

"As I said, if it's busy, then someone's getting through, so no, the issues isn't on our end."

How did this idiot ever become VP?!

Then I moved past the busy signal and again explained my main point. "But I did get through to the customer service department through the web form, and they extended my ticket, but gave me the wrong info about it being free. I was told that the department had been provided the wrong information, and that's why they made that mistake."

"Yes, they were given the wrong info," he told me, "We corrected that info on their end not too long after you spoke to them. But that's why you need to call the right department. You intentionally contacted the wrong department, so this mistake is your problem."

I couldn't believe these absurd answers.

"Again, it was impossible to get through to the right department. I took one of your own ticket agent's suggestions to submit the web form to reach someone who could extend it for me. How is it my fault if your employees have the wrong info?"

"And I'm telling you, if it's busy, it means someone is getting through, so clearly you didn't try hard enough," he told me.

I decided to cut to the chase and just ask him for the $100. I was tired of this silly debate.

"Well, you have acknowledged that the extension department is extremely hard to reach, and you've acknowledged the other customer service department was accidentally given the wrong info, so could you please just restore the $100? I'm not asking for freebies here. I just want the $100 back which I paid real money for when I bought the ticket. Had I known it was going to cost $100 to extend it, I would have simply used the ticket before the deadline, or given it away to someone. I just had no way to find out about this until it was too late."

He denied the $100, again telling me it was my fault.

I started to make my case again, and he started shouting over me.

"TELL ME WHAT OTHER AIRLINES DO WHEN YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR FLIGHT. TELL ME! DO THEY GIVE YOU FULL CREDIT FOR A YEAR?"

"Well, no," I answered, "But that isn't relevant here. I appreciate Southwest's policy on that, which is why I went with you guys in the first place. But I'm just hoping you could honor what you admit your own employees promised...."

He interrupted again.

"AGAIN I ASK YOU. TELL ME WHAT OTHER AIRLINES DO FOR YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR FLIGHT! TELL ME! DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH WE ARE ALREADY DOING FOR YOU?"

"Sir, you're not doing anything for me here. These are your company policies, and I'm simply asking you to keep your employees' promises and..."

"TELL ME NOW WHAT THE OTHER AIRLINES WOULD DO FOR YOU. YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT $100 FEE MORE THAN A YEAR AFTER THE FLIGHT YOU BOOKED. WHAT WOULD OTHER AIRLINES CHARGE? TELL ME THAT RIGHT NOW."

I started to make the same point again that other airlines' policies were irrelevant, and he interrupted again.

"YOU KNOW, THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I PERSONALLY INSTRUCTED NOBODY TO TAKE YOUR CALL. THAT'S RIGHT, IT WAS ME. I TOLD THEM TO STOP TALKING TO YOU BECAUSE YOU DON'T APPRECIATE HOW GOOD YOU HAVE IT AT SOUTHWEST. THEY BROUGHT YOUR REQUEST FOR THE $100 TO SOMEONE WORKING UNDER ME. I TOLD THEM TO NEVER TAKE A CALL FROM YOU EVER AGAIN," he yelled in an angry tone of voice.

I finally told him to eat shit and hung up on him.

I looked up the guy's name, and sure enough, I was actually speaking to the real VP of Customer Relations at Southwest. Amazing! I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

To recap, they ADMITTED that they promised me a free 6 month extension, then charged me $100 for it, and then wanted me to eat the $100 because "their department had the wrong info". And the department with the right info was totally unreachable, but somehow it was my fault for not getting through to a department which had an old school busy signal for weeks at a time, even if you tried calling the minute they opened.

And then I got verbally abused by the VP on the phone.

Total shit company.

I promptly gave my $400 away to my sister, who needed to take a flight soon anyway, and swore off Southwest for life.

By the way, punishing unhappy customers seems to be Southwest's thing. Five years later, in 2014, they kicked a customer off a flight for tweeting that he was unhappy with how a boarding agent treated him: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...e-after-tweet/

They suck.

Wow, Dan.... A Southwest Vice President SCREAMING at a rightfully irritated Customer who had $100 stolen from him and blaming the Victim. That Dude deserves(d) to be fired....

Thank you Tasha. I knew I could count on your support.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Thank you Tasha. I knew I could count on your support.

You're welcome, Dan!

That was a terrible story. First, Dan getting all worked up about a customer service issue, imagine that. Second of all, who remembers something like that from 1993 enough that it annoys them. Third of all, the second incident is bullshit but there’s no way that story couldn’t be chopped into 1/3 the text, tldr. Fourth of all, Tasha your opinion is usually also terrible. Your lottery picks are garbage for example and have gotten you into trouble multiple times, and of course are posted in the inappropriate subsection.

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    That was a terrible story. First, Dan getting all worked up about a customer service issue, imagine that. Second of all, who remembers something like that from 1993 enough that it annoys them. Third of all, the second incident is bullshit but there’s no way that story couldn’t be chopped into 1/3 the text, tldr. Fourth of all, Tasha your opinion is usually also terrible. Your lottery picks are garbage for example and have gotten you into trouble multiple times, and of course are posted in the inappropriate subsection.
    Fuck.off, mcap...

Dan:

Wow. After that conversation, I understand your view of Southwest. I am glad my personal experiences differ.

Fuck.off, mcap...
    Call him a cunt too, so you can complain across the net how you regret it. At least the sites like this one where you are allowed to post under multiple names.

I'm on Dan's side on this one. Southwest just dropped a few notches in my opinion of them.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Fuck.off, mcap...
    Call him a cunt too, so you can complain across the net how you regret it. At least the sites like this one where you are allowed to post under multiple names.

Ironically, he called me the C word Garbage the other day....

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

A freebie?

You mean I was trying to get the meal I was paying for? How is that a freebie? Or this is just a pathetic attempt to troll me?

I never said that I felt I was "better" than anyone there. I was explaining how the Nugget views its own clientele. Because it's downtown, they assume that the clientele there is less affluent than the prime steakhouse clientele on the strip, and therefore they are more suspicious of anyone complaining. I was criticizing them for this attitude, not agreeing with it.

Try reading my post more carefully next time. Comprehension is your friend.

If the steakhouse has an attitude with their clientele it most likely for a good reason. Seeing people come in and eat half their steak and then complain about it. I'm sure you gave your girlfriend plenty of lessons in how to deal in life's imperfections. You should be banned from eating there again.

If the steakhouse has an attitude with their clientele it most likely for a good reason. Seeing people come in and eat half their steak and then complain about it. I'm sure you gave your girlfriend plenty of lessons in how to deal in life's imperfections. You should be banned from eating there again.
    This makes no sense. But not surprising considering the source.

Thread Information