Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year! :D Actually, Happy New Decade! :D

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Do you want to refer to the years of 1960 to 1969 as the decade of the 60s?
    Who doesn't refer to the years 1960-1969 as the decade of the 60s?

Now answer the question. Does the next decade start in 2021 or did it start in 2020?

Let's see if you learned what Anno Domini means.

But it's not a decade
    You are a mental patient.

Just look at how quickly you went from being polite to vitriolic when confronted with your own stubborn ignorance.

But you didn’t actually change, your mask fell off and revealed who you really are.
    It didn't take long to realize this is a fucked up bunch.

Come on bozo belly. Did the new decade start with 2020 or does it start in 2021?

Let's see if you learned what Anno Domini means? Or if you're just going to remain stupid?

Come on bozo belly. Did the new decade start with 2020 or does it start in 2021?
    Just as the century known as the 1900s began on 1/1/1900, and the decade known as the 1960s began on 1/1/1960, the new decade known as the 2020s began on 1/1/2020.

Do you disagree?

You seem to be struggling with the concept of "ordinal" counting vs "cardinal" counting...compounded by whatever other psychological issues that you struggle with.

The decade of AndrewG on VCT began 9/x/2019. It will end 10 years later on 9/x-1/2029, then the next decade of AndrewG will start on 9/x/2029.

Get it now, bozo?

Just as the century known as the 1900s began on 1/1/1900, and the decade known as the 1960s began on 1/1/1960, the new decade known as the 2020s began on 1/1/2020.

Do you disagree?

You seem to be struggling with the concept of "ordinal" counting vs "cardinal" counting...compounded by whatever other psychological issues that you struggle with.

The decade of AndrewG on VCT began 9/x/2019. It will end 10 years later on 9/x-1/2029, then the next decade of AndrewG will start on 9/x/2029.

Get it now, bozo?
    This is the most fucked up forum I've ever been on.

Yes. For the millionth time, yes. You can call any group of ten years a decade. Yes, the decade of the 20s began with 2020. Yes, yes, yes.

But the decade of Anno Domini starts in 2021.

Do you understand that?

Let me congratulate Tasha. She gets it.

Do you disagree?

Get it now, bozo?

Yes. For the millionth time, yes. You can call any group of ten years a decade. Yes, the decade of the 20s began with 2020. Yes, yes, yes.

Do you understand that?

[QUOTE=AndrewG;95909][QUOTE=coach belly;95908]

So what idiot? What is your point idiot? Everyone has already agreed a decade can start anytime you like idiot.

If you are trying to look smart because you can use a method that almost no one uses in practice idiot, I hate to tell you but the ship on you looking smart sailed long ago idiot.

Have a pleasant weekend idiot.

[QUOTE=DGenBen;95912]

Do you disagree?

Get it now, bozo?

Do you understand that?

[QUOTE=AndrewG;95909]

So what idiot? What is your point idiot? Everyone has already agreed a decade can start anytime you like idiot.

If you are trying to look smart because you can use a method that almost no one uses in practice idiot, I hate to tell you but the ship on you looking smart sailed long ago idiot.

Have a pleasant weekend idiot.
    Today is January 3, 2020 A.D. Apparently you don't understand that.

It's amazing that this is being debated on a forum of self proclaimed experts and math geniuses. You don't even know what the date is.

So what?

The original post in this thread did not reference Anno Domini.

The original observation of this thread is a follows...

Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    it's not just a New Year, it's a New Decade!
    Tasha was referring to the new decade that began on 1/1/2020...the 2020s.

As another contributor pointed out, that is how society commonly and most frequently refers to decades...

Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    In common usage no one ever defines the 60s as 61 to 70 or the 80s as 81 to 90.
    The most frequently used method to refer to decades is the cardinal method, which groups years based on their shared tens digit, such as the nineteen-sixties (1960s) referring to the period from 1960 to 1969.

And, you've agreed...that is correct.

But your initial reply contained the following declarations, both of which are dubious at best...

the decade begins with 2021...since there was never a year Zero, decades begin with years ending with the digit 1.
    Decades begin every year, not only in years ending with 1.

And you've agreed that this correct.

Since decades can begin in any year, the fact that there was no year zero is irrelevant to when decades begin.

You’re wrong Andrew G
    Yes, a decade begins with 2021...but not all decades, not the decade we are in today, the 2020s.

Our current decade (the new decade) began on 1/1/2020.

And, you've agreed that this is correct as well.

it's not just a New Year, it's a New Decade!
    Yes, the decade of the 20s began with 2020. Yes, yes, yes.
    In common usage no one ever defines the 60s as 61 to 70 or the 80s as 81 to 90.
    And no one would define the new decade, the 2020s , as beginning on 1/1/2021.

Would you?
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.

The US Government has answered your question Mr Belly. Read the CNN article.

And if you’re going to excerpt my posts do it honestly.

This will set your clock back (pun intended Mr Belly), from the CNN article:

"The US Naval Observatory, the agency that maintains the country's master clock, tackled this question in 1999 as people debated when the new millennium would begin. According to the astronomical dating system through which it measures time, the observatory stated that the new millennium would begin on January 1, 2001."
    Last edited by AndrewG; 01-03-2020 at 01:25 PM.

You don't even know what the date is.
    We know what the date is...you seem conflicted about whether or not a new decade began on 1/1/2020.

Yes, the decade of the 20s began with 2020. Yes, yes, yes.
    Read the CNN article.
    I didn't see where the US Government defined the new decade.

That's not in the CNN article, maybe you should re-read it...

According to the astronomical dating system through which it measures time, the observatory stated that the new millennium would begin on January 1, 2001.

Also from the CNN article...

We talk about decades differently...as a society, we seem to have collectively determined that decades begin in years ending in zero and end on years ending in nine.

After all, it makes sense.

When we think of the 90s, we think of the period from 1990-1999. It just doesn't make sense that the year 1990 would be considered part of the 80s.
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-03-2020 at 01:48 PM.

if you’re going to excerpt my posts do it honestly.
    Did the excerpts I quoted misrepresent your perspective, or what you meant?

if you’re going to excerpt my posts do it honestly.
    Did the excerpts I quoted misrepresent your perspective, or what you meant?
    It is pointless to continue this discussion. But before I leave the discussion some final comments.

When I talk about what the date is it is in reference to our calendar and dating system which began with the year 1.

The paragraph I quoted about the US Naval Observatory came from the CNN article. There is a link to the CNN article.

When I say excerpt me honestly it means do not pick and choose partial comments to support your case. Excerpt my full thoughts.

Again Tasha gets it. There are two ways to measure decades.

If a millennium (1,000 years) starts in a year ending with one, a century will also start with a year ending in 1, and a decade will end in a year ending in 1. This is why the decision by the US Naval Observatory applies to this thread.

Frankly I'm surprised this is being debated. In elementary school we were taught the first year was 1 and not Zero and that a new century started in 1901 and not in 1900.

And yes I refer to 80s music but the decade started in 1981. I get it. Do you Mr Belly?

You wrote this: "When we think of the 90s, we think of the period from 1990-1999. It just doesn't make sense that the year 1990 would be considered part of the 80s."

Very simply, why can't you think of the fashions and music and styles of the 90s while the year 1990 actually belonged to the previous decade? Why is that an issue? One thought has nothing to do with the other, does it?

You wrote this: "When we think of the 90s, we think of the period from 1990-1999. It just doesn't make sense that the year 1990 would be considered part of the 80s."
    I copied and pasted that passage directly from the CNN article, using the link you provided.

Very simply, why can't you think of the fashions and music and styles of the 90s while the year 1990 actually belonged to the previous decade?
    If a record was released in 1990, then which decade did it "belong to", the 80s or the 90s ?

As you already agreed, decades measure a period of 10 years and can start at any time.

When considering only decades that begin on Jan 1, the year 1990 actually belongs to 10 decades...1981-1990 through 1990-1999.

If the question is...did a new decade start on 1/1/2020? ...then the answer is undisputedly yes.

If the question is...did the new decade start on 1/1/2020? ...if the new decade referred to is the 2020s, then the answer is undisputedly yes.

Yes, the decade of the 20s began with 2020.
    Frankly I'm surprised this is being debated. In elementary school we were taught the first year was 1 and not Zero and that a new century started in 1901 and not in 1900.
    I'm not sure what you are debating...both 1900 and 1901 are correct, because they refer to distinct centuries.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century

The 20th (twentieth) century was a century that began on January 1, 1901[1] and ended on December 31, 2000.[2] It was the tenth and final century of the 2nd millennium. Strictly speaking, it is distinct from the century known as the 1900s which began on January 1, 1900, and ended on December 31, 1999.

We commonly use both terms..."20th Century" (ordinally) and "the 1900s" (cardinally).

They are distinct centuries, referring to distinct periods of time.

Not so with decades, we exclusively refer to decades cardinally...groups of years based on having the same digits (For example, the years 1980–1989 is referred to as the 1980s, or commonly known as the eighties).

If we are not in the decade known as the 2020s, then what decade are we in?

You seem convinced that only ordinal counting of groups of years is correct.

So OK, ordinally...what's the name of the current decade?

Or, if you maintain that a new decade will start on 1/1/2021, then what's the name of the next new decade?
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-03-2020 at 03:52 PM.

I talked with Alan and.it's every 18 years (yo's) in a row!

This thread is awesome.

Happy New Years and New Decade and many things in between, IDIOTS ! (except you, Tasha)
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Decade begins with 2020.

Any other interpretation is stupid.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Decade begins with 2020.

Any other interpretation is stupid.
    That's what I was thinking when I started this thread! On an interesting note, this Decade officially starts the 100th year of the Roaring 1920's Decade where young women decided they weren't going to sit around being good, demure girls just waiting for male suitors to marry like their Female Ancestors but were instead going to live up their lives, drink, smoke, cuss, dance, date multiple men, have lots of sex. Kind of like 2020, LMAO!

Here you go. Happy new year and end of a decade.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/21/us/wh...rnd/index.html
    CNN - Fake News

Damn, it just fully hit me that this is a Presidential Election Year. There have been talks of Hillary Clinton is running for President again in 2020, and she feels this time she just might be the first female President, especially since she made it to Election night and won The Popular Vote, just the Electoral Vote and those Benghazi Emails did her in.

Damn, it just fully hit me that this is a Presidential Election Year. There have been talks of Hillary Clinton is running for President again in 2020, and she feels this time she just might be the first female President, especially since she made it to Election night and won The Popular Vote, just the Electoral Vote and those Benghazi Emails did her in.
    She stated on The View she had no intentions of running.

Thread Information