Thread: Galfond Challenge question

How can it be known that solvers,bots or other software are not used in the Galfond Challenge by a player ?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    How can it be known that solvers,bots or other software are not used in the Galfond Challenge by a player ?

Thanks.
    From what I understand it is not known. In fact as I understand many people suspect his current opponent may be using a solver.

It can't be known (well I guess technically with a large enough data set you could test whether he was using a solver of a certain configuration).

I don't see any reason to think his opponent is using one. Isn't he supposed to be one of the top online pros now? That means by definition he's trained extensively on solvers and tries to play as close to a GTO as he can.

I haven't followed Galfond's story and don't know how prepared he was for this but my impression is he made a very foolish mistake in assuming he could somehow outplay a top pro in the GTO-mold.

Based on his comments between the rounds I think he doesn't understand the implications of someone playing reasonably close to GTO. He still talks in terms of game plans and trying to get one over on his opponent.

But actually GTO aspect aside if Galfond were just a semi-retired pro playing a currently active top pro it would still be stupidly arrogant to lay 2:1 on it.

But again I'm just making certain assumptions about the two players here. For all I know Galfond has been receiving intensive GTO coaching for a year straight.

I guess I should add that I'm trying not to be influenced by the current results, the statistical significance of which I'm unsure of. (Although it's an easy problem to solve if anyone cares to).

The challenger is really Skynet.

Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post
    Isn't he supposed to be one of the top online pros now?
    Thanks guys. Smurgerburger, I don't know anything about Galfond's current opponent. I don't play live poker, I'm just following the action from a lay person's perspective since it is exciting to watch like a boxing match or soccer game. Now that you guys told me there is no way to stop someone from using solver software, I would have to say personally I would never play poker online (especially at nosebleed stakes) even if I were a seasoned pro and the chances were small that my opponent(s) was/were dishonest (as appears to be the case here) - it's just not worth the risk IMHO.

Where can I watch the Galfond Challenge?
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post
    Isn't he supposed to be one of the top online pros now?
    Thanks guys. Smurgerburger, I don't know anything about Galfond's current opponent. I don't play live poker, I'm just following the action from a lay person's perspective since it is exciting to watch like a boxing match or soccer game. Now that you guys told me there is no way to stop someone from using solver software, I would have to say personally I would never play poker online (especially at nosebleed stakes) even if I were a seasoned pro and the chances were small that my opponent(s) was/were dishonest (as appears to be the case here) - it's just not worth the risk IMHO.
    Solvers are basically only applicable to headsup. For a variety of reasons. So if you play 3+ handed, you really don't need to worry about solvers.

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Mickey, try these links:
    Day 1)

playlist of some of the other days: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...O7pfcOyCCb7soo

Also, you can type "Galfond Challenge" into the youtube search box and a lot more coverage and commentary will come up.
    Last edited by tableplay; 02-13-2020 at 06:12 PM.

It's not easy to keep track/watch. Do yourself a favor and just skip to the highlights/end.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    It's not easy to keep track/watch. Do yourself a favor and just skip to the highlights/end.
    I just read where Galfond has suspended his participation at about 900K stuck.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    I just read where Galfond has suspended his participation at about 900K stuck.
    I think he was severely outmatched. If I recall correctly, he only won 1 out of 15 sessions. If some Anonymous guy wants to play you for large sums of money it's probably -EV, especially since you have no idea what's going on on the other side of the screen.

Thread Information