Originally Posted by wasilla View Post
Boyd's comp system for VP isn't very transparent. In fact, I've never talked to an employee who really understood it. Some math guys from on other boards have done calculations based on a games EV. I find their calculations reasonably close to my actual results. While I don't have my notes here, my normal MSS game is 9/6 JOB and requires around $109 coin in per tier credit. So while TC earning rates aren't transparent, they are certainly possible to estimate.

It also follows that +EV games like 10/7 DB don't earn TC's at all. While I have heard a report of someone doing so, my own past DB play has netted me 0 TC's

The 750 TC Sapphire level is essential to maintain if you want to play +EV VP. If I ever lost Sapphire, I would probably stop playing at Boyd. Once you get it, you also keep it through the end of the next calendar year. A patient person could earn 750 TC by playing around $85K coin in on .25c JOB at BHB for little expected loss by using the 4OAK scratch cards to offset the game's -EV. A less patient person could either slot vulture or hope for the best while earning a TC per $5 through slots. YMMV a bit because the TC count resets to zero every time you change machines, games, and probably denominations.

MSS/Cal recently eliminated my free monthly nights in my mailed offers. The reasons might matter to you, but I don't actually know. The drop came after a drop in my daily coin in, some Royals, winning trips, being chronically over-comped, and perhaps playing too obviously as a low stakes AP. I still was able to book 4 free DT Boyd nights this month and again in May using my Sapphire rate calendar. I was still able to use my FP offer and play the room offer kiosk game that netted $50 FP. In addition you can usually play for free buffets through the kiosk. This stay I was also comped a meal each at Redwood, California Noodle, and 777 brewpub based on VP play. At BHB, I am surrounded by VP players on comped stays.

While Boyd gutted the benefits with VP in general, there still are sweet spots. If you have celebrated your 50th birthday, you qualify for the Tuesday Senior days with the 11X point multipliers. There are many Boyd games that turn +EV with an extra .55% (1 point requires $2 coin in on most VP). On several holidays they offer the same multiplier for everyone.

MSS has several 10/7 DB machines for .25c to $1 that aren't eligible for promotions and require $3 per point. It is a 100.17% game W/O points + .033 points + the value of the scratch cards. Since most of these SC's are worth $2 for .25 and above denominations (less than quarters are $1) the added EV for dollar players are 1/4th of that for quarter players.

I'm suggesting here that the rumors of Boyd VP comps' demise are a bit exaggerated. It's not nearly as good as before, but a lot of savvy VP players are staying on comped stays and even coming home with a little extra money.
Agree....hit the bonus days....enjoy the breakfast buffet at the Orleans and call it a day.