Thread: XFL Betting and Score Management

I have been trying to bet the XFL and I am up slightly after 2 weeks but this is more about how stupid some coaches are. And do they even understand the rules, and have they hired the right people to help them with scoring management.

One of my favorite things about the XFL is no extra points, only an opportunity to go for 1, 2 or 3 points after a touchdown. It adds interest and more coaching choices, and more opportunities for ties later in the game, and late covers against spreads, but that hasn’t often so far.

No clue how Red is doing but at this point I’m betting line moves and understand based on perceptions on public betting. And I will say the little I am up is more luck than anything else.

This post is more about winning a game more than betting but I just watched Dallas up 9 go for 2 instead of 1. Did the coach understand a 9 point lead is a one score game and a 10 point lead is a 2 score game? So could they justify it as they had a better chance of scoring from the 5 yard line for 2, instead of 1 from the 2 yard line? Otherwise it’s a failure to understand the rules.

Either way it looks like another under in a league filled with them so far. And the coaches probably need a good chart on when to go for what, although each offense may play it different.

And the NFL ready needs to look at this option if they want to create excitement and get away from boring Extra Points.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I have been trying to bet the XFL and I am up slightly after 2 weeks but this is more about how stupid some coaches are. And do they even understand the rules, and have they hired the right people to help them with scoring management.

One of my favorite things about the XFL is no extra points, only an opportunity to go for 1, 2 or 3 points after a touchdown. It adds interest and more coaching choices, and more opportunities for ties later in the game, and late covers against spreads, but that hasn’t often so far.

No clue how Red is doing but at this point I’m betting line moves and understand based on perceptions on public betting. And I will say the little I am up is more luck than anything else.

This post is more about winning a game more than betting but I just watched Dallas up 9 go for 2 instead of 1. Did the coach understand a 9 point lead is a one score game and a 10 point lead is a 2 score game? So could they justify it as they had a better chance of scoring from the 5 yard line for 2, instead of 1 from the 2 yard line? Otherwise it’s a failure to understand the rules.

Either way it looks like another under in a league filled with them so far. And the coaches probably need a good chart on when to go for what, although each offense may play it different.

And the NFL ready needs to look at this option if they want to create excitement and get away from boring Extra Points.
    I got lucky, middling the first game total in week one. Other than that, it's been a wash. I did take Houston at +390 to win the whole thing after the first week. I do think they are the best team, but they have some deficiencies that haven't cost them yet.

The extra point decisions are defined in part, I think, by the fact that six of the teams are more or less air raid or run-and-shoot offenses, so they are inefficient inside the five. Those teams may be better suited to go for three. You're right. The coaches seem to be making up their extra point decisions on the fly. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to what they are doing.

This should probably be in the sports/sports betting section. Probably no one but me cares. Smh

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    This should probably be in the sports/sports betting section. Probably no one but me cares. Smh
    Possibly, but I’m still of the age group that our only option to “legally” bet on sports was in Vegas. Not that we didn’t use other options.

Update: I lost the Dallas/Seattle total, so I am officially losing in the XFL except for the lucky middle on the first game. I am also down about a hundred bucks on fantasy at Fanduel. I have managed to really butcher and narrowly not cash with some fantasy squads the last two weeks. It took some work, but I managed to do it.

deleted. wrong thread.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Actually, losing money in the FanDuel fantasy has been fascinating. I had five teams miss cashing by less than two points (20 yards) yesterday. Now some of my teams cash, but I'm pretty sure that the people taking down all of the money in the big (300K and 200K) contests are the mega-entry players, even more than usual. I had five teams this Saturday and last Saturday all finish within two points of cashing, in the mid to high 70 percentiles. Usually, top 20 percent cashes most contests. The way around dealing with the mega-entries is to enter the single entry contests, but there is little money in those for XFL.

What has thrown me is that the mega-entries are at an even bigger advantage because there are so few teams, and the megas are more easily able to cover the obvious player roster options with all of their entries. I expected some players to stand out week one, some others week two, and so on. But a handful of outstanding players are, instead, being really dominant. That is not what I anticipated. Plus I thought because three starting QBs were out week one, people would be confused as to which QBs to take. Well, far as I can tell, everybody has taken just two QBs this weekend, P.J. Walker from Houston and Cardale Jones from D.C. The only QB I think is overrated is Ta'amu for the Battlehawks.

Anyway, the performances have been so consistent, every fantasy bettor has the same players, and the mega-entries have all options covered. It's been a real novel learning experience.

To put some context to this, I am probably out $300 lifetime at Fanduel fantasy, and that includes the $150 I lost the last two weeks after winning week one. Usually, obviously, I am able to hold my own. I thought XFL would be an opportunity against the mega-entries and thus far, I am completely wrong.
    Last edited by redietz; 02-23-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Thread Information