Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Desert Inn

  1. #1
    Have you ever been in it played in the old Desert Inn? In the early 2000's I enjoyed and at times had my way BIG TIME at their up-front bar $1-$10 machine (there was only one). The place was classy, somewhat elegant, and had that feel of Old Vegas. This is fortunately something the all-Vegas-knowing kew can't begin to comment on.

    Well, if you've ever played there then you've probably gotten one of their player's cards there--a classic deep emerald green gem with a gold Desert Inn written over the front. Today, someone who says they're a player's card collector whom I also trained on my play strategy around 2001, asked me if I ever had one of these cards, which he described as a beauty. At first I said no because I wanted to know it's value to him without his knowledge of my having one. He said to let him know if I knew anyone who had one in perfect condition (which mine is). I then asked what he was offering. The answer--$2500.

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Have you ever been in it played in the old Desert Inn? In the early 2000's I enjoyed and at times had my way BIG TIME at their up-front bar $1-$10 machine (there was only one). The place was classy, somewhat elegant, and had that feel of Old Vegas. This is fortunately something the all-Vegas-knowing kew can't begin to comment on.

    Well, if you've ever played there then you've probably gotten one of their player's cards there--a classic deep emerald green gem with a gold Desert Inn written over the front. Today, someone who says they're a player's card collector whom I also trained on my play strategy around 2001, asked me if I ever had one of these cards, which he described as a beauty. At first I said no because I wanted to know it's value to him without his knowledge of my having one. He said to let him know if I knew anyone who had one in perfect condition (which mine is). I then asked what he was offering. The answer--$2500.

    The Desert Inn was a beautiful place. It was elegant, inside was retro, outside was all dark glass and modern. Inside it was actually quite small compared to other strip resorts.

    The last year it was open, I spent some time in there because they had the best Raiders-to-win-AFC odds. It was the week before the Rams played the Titans in the Super Bowl, and I was making wagers for the following season, taking the Raiders. Anyway, I had to ensure that any tickets would be honored so I had to spend some time with the sports book manager and actually go upstairs to inquire with casino management itself, since the tickets were sizable.

    The Desert Inn was where you would take a high end date.

    And lesson learned. If I'd taken the Desert Inn's word for how to go about collecting tickets after a place closes, it would probably have been a nightmare. You need to connect all the dots by keeping in touch with the Gaming Commission along the way, otherwise your tickets could wind up in a P.O.Box that nobody checks for six months.

  3. #3
    There was a couple of WMS X-Factor's in Desert Inn that I would occasionally go in and find a play.
    MDawg is a compulsive liar.

  4. #4
    Desert Inn was the last of the Classic Vegas casinos that I imagined how Vegas was before my time. Many people still dressed up to gambler on my few visits there. It just exuded class to me thought it was obviously struggling near the end in a changing market that was becoming much more flashy. The old casinos that lasted longer like the Stardust, Rivera and even the ‘Ho never were in their class.

    I never stayed there but my image of the rooms was from a low budget Burt Reynolds movie called “Heat” that was filled there. Classic Vegas 80’s rooms and suites.

    I believe the last GM there went on to run Northern Nevada for Caesars.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Desert Inn was the last of the Classic Vegas casinos that I imagined how Vegas was before my time. Many people still dressed up to gambler on my few visits there. It just exuded class to me thought it was obviously struggling near the end in a changing market that was becoming much more flashy. The old casinos that lasted longer like the Stardust, Rivera and even the ‘Ho never were in their class.

    I never stayed there but my image of the rooms was from a low budget Burt Reynolds movie called “Heat” that was filled there. Classic Vegas 80’s rooms and suites.

    I believe the last GM there went on to run Northern Nevada for Caesars.

    Hey, quick question. Was the Desert Inn used for any location shots in Diamonds Are Forever? It would seem to be the perfect Bond film locale.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Desert Inn was the last of the Classic Vegas casinos that I imagined how Vegas was before my time. Many people still dressed up to gambler on my few visits there. It just exuded class to me thought it was obviously struggling near the end in a changing market that was becoming much more flashy. The old casinos that lasted longer like the Stardust, Rivera and even the ‘Ho never were in their class.

    I never stayed there but my image of the rooms was from a low budget Burt Reynolds movie called “Heat” that was filled there. Classic Vegas 80’s rooms and suites.

    I believe the last GM there went on to run Northern Nevada for Caesars.

    Hey, quick question. Was the Desert Inn used for any location shots in Diamonds Are Forever? It would seem to be the perfect Bond film locale.
    Wasn’t sure so I looked it up. Appears they filmed in multiple casinos but not the DI.


    https://nevadafilm.com/scene-in-neva...s-are-forever/


    I do remember Dan Tanna lived in a garage on the property in “Vegas”.

  7. #7
    I still have some Desert Inn cards buried somewhere from the 90s - till they closed, I Remember for time they were a hot item. I might even have a Silver Strike from there .
    One of my first experience playing higher denomination video poker was at that location, they had $ 9-6 jacks or better with 1% cash back and various other promotions to go along with it. That was the first time I ever got a bigger Mail offer, it was for table games $500 or $1,000 free bet play till you lose IIRC.

    Not a big fan of the old look of the casinos, especially, the god-awful looking carpets and God awful looking chandeliers. Not a big fan of places like Bellagio and The Wynn. I mentioned this before many times, I was very very impressed with The Revel. I'm very impressed what they did with the Quad, or whatever they're calling it nowadays. I like the new modern look, like the Quad, way better than casinos of the past. I like some Retro modern places as well.

  8. #8
    Hey Axe! How did we both make political comments on WoV yesterday, and we ain't in red??

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post
    Hey Axe! How did we both make political comments on WoV yesterday, and we ain't in red??
    We did? Well hell, I don't remember what I wrote 5 minutes ago. T

    That's one of the keys for some people, if you don't make up complete b******* like some people do, then don't have to remember exactly what you wrote when someone asks you later on or about it.

  10. #10
    Obviously you and bbb got something going. You made a snide comment about Mike Pence and I retorted he did a better job then the bartender. Maybe if instead I typed AOC......

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post
    Obviously you and bbb got something going. You made a snide comment about Mike Pence and I retorted he did a better job then the bartender. Maybe if instead I typed AOC......
    Ahh yes, I now remember. I didn't remember because I wasn't trying to be a political. I don't know much about his history(politics is one of the last things I care about) but, I do recall he botched up some clean needle program that cause a significant rise in AIDS/HIV. I think somebody more qualified without a bunch of political pressure should be running the show when it comes to anything health related.

    Not sure what you mean with the BBB and I have something going comment? I don't really care how she moderates The Forum or what her politics are. Given the chance I would absolutely troll on her when it comes to Trump stuff just because it's fun. Whatever the case, outside the Forums she's a very intelligent, trustworthy, kind, and helpful person, that's all that matters to me.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post
    Obviously you and bbb got something going. You made a snide comment about Mike Pence and I retorted he did a better job then the bartender. Maybe if instead I typed AOC......
    Ahh yes, I now remember. I didn't remember because I wasn't trying to be a political. I don't know much about his history(politics is one of the last things I care about, she probably knows that and new enough to know I wasn't trying to be a political with that comment) but, I do recall he botched up some clean needle program that cause a significant rise in AIDS/HIV. I think somebody more qualified without a bunch of political pressure should be running the show when it comes to anything health related.

    Not sure what you mean with the BBB and I have something going comment? I don't really care how she moderates The Forum or what her politics are. Given the chance I would absolutely troll on her when it comes to Trump stuff just because it's fun. Whatever the case, outside the Forums she's a very intelligent, trustworthy, kind, and helpful person, that's all that matters to me.

  13. #13
    There has been talk WoV is controlled by the progressives. BBB has been noted as one of them. Not there because I need friends in low places of wisdom, despite their intelligence.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post
    There has been talk WoV is controlled by the progressives. BBB has been noted as one of them. Not there because I need friends in low places of wisdom, despite their intelligence.
    There is/was a strong liberal bias many felt in regards to how conservatives were treated when politics were allowed to be discussed. The membership seemed to be mixed with the 2 biggest liberal posters were Dark Oz and Bill Ryan. And they got their ass handed to them daily by a few. But then political discussions were banned, and people are suspended for anything that is even close to political. To me it made the site less interesting and I hardly posting after that decision. Until I got a few things off my chest and decided to get nuked.

    Maybe it will pick up over when MDawg is back if he decides to post there again.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post
    There has been talk WoV is controlled by the progressives. BBB has been noted as one of them. Not there because I need friends in low places of wisdom, despite their intelligence.
    I think I get the gist of what you're trying to say, but I'm really not sure what you mean, especially the Friends in Low Places thing. From your comment earlier, it seems as if you said something about me and BBB have something going on, or whatever. You claim that it's being run by progressives and she's a progressive. Pretty sure I'm not a progressive, however, I really have no clue what I am with regards to all that. Most people tell me I'm somewhere in the middle and that I lean one way and some people tell me I slightly lean one way. BBB knows I wanted Trump to win and I certainly don't dislike him. There are so many people that want him to fail just because he's Trump and that's all they give a flying f*** about. They want things to go bad just so they can say I told you so and get Trump out. I totally dislike like Hillary Clinton, yet, I thought Bill Clinton was great.

    I'm pretty sure both me and Barbara's political views are quite opposite of each other for the most part.

    I'm totally against third world country immigrants. I'm okay with some social programs, but can't stand how it's being abused and used as a way of life for minorities and immigrants and it's so easy to get on stuff like welfare and EBT. I do think we should have extremely affordable healthcare and pre-existing conditions shouldn't affect the price. I think there should be set prices for different tiers $10, $20, $50 $100 and $150. I think all the churches, con artist companies (like Herbalife), casinos, tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana and some other Industries I can't think of right now, should be making up for the rest who actually can't afford it such as the homeless people.

    I Think I'm for luxury taxes as well, I'm not foolish enough to think I know enough about any of this stuff know if it's a good idea or not.

    Personally, I think they should do away with income taxes and just up the sales taxes on everything except for some very basic necessities that everyone needs. They should be doubling the prices on s*** like Doritos and other types of junk food. The should quadruple the prices on cigarettes end Vape shit and use that extra money for healthcare. Yeah yeah I know that'll create a Black Market problem. I think they need to tax the f*** out of alcohol as well.

    I like guns and all, but everybody shouldn't be able to possess a f****** gun, there's just too many dumbfucks and criminals out there. I think one should have to prove themselves worthy of having/possessing one.

    On the one hand I want less government in our lives, but on the other hand people are really f****** stupid and they need to be protected from themselves, or at least protect us from them having their stupid affe affect everyone else.

    Other than the selfish hypocritical a****** party, what party would you belong to if you really only cared about what was good for you, your family, and friends?
    Last edited by AxelWolf; 03-12-2020 at 12:51 AM.

  16. #16
    Until babies, who have no voice in their future, stop getting slaughtered, before and after birth, I will vote conservative. Not that I support every Republican position, fiscal conservatives they are not.

  17. #17
    I'm definitely for a woman's right to choose. However, I'm against women using it as a form of birth control. I also don't think women should be able to just go down all nilly willy and pop in and have an abortion and back to "work"(fucking) the next day. I think women should be required to take an extensive course that promotes having the child and explains all their options, answers all their questions and gives advice on all the resources they can use to care for their child and look forward to the future.

    There is a culture in the minority population were having babies and getting welfare is an absolutely cool way of life, no one's scared of having babies without any money/ husband or strong family support. They know how to game the system at maximum value meanwhile making money on the side with their criminal activities.

    Welfare should be for absolute emergencies only for a limited time, if you don't have your s*** together in that time you, shouldn't be allowed to have a child. Come back and get your baby when you have your shit together. Perhaps that might convince them to use some f****** protection.
    Last edited by AxelWolf; 03-12-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •