Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
Notice how the mainstream media is very careful not to show side by side mortality numbers between influenza and the Coronovirus (Ron, you made a good point about the much larger death numbers of standard influenza) ? Influenza would dwarf the number of Corona deaths.
It is not about the numbers right now. Hell 100 dead (half in one senior community) is nothing anymore. That is a couple mass shootings. It is about what is projected in the very near future, 30 days from now.

Look on Friday (March 13) we hit 1000 cases in the US. Today 4 days later we went over 6000 cases. That is a 600% increase! Influenza is never, ever on that kind of trajectory. They use models that tell what is likely to happen, similar to how AP's use simulations. And the models indicate a pretty beak picture. Now maybe something will happen that will change that trajectory. But for now those models are the best predictor of what is coming and not all that far down the road.

You comparing the current death and infection rate, very early in this pandemic to influenza YEARLY totals is ridiculous. The analogy I used on another forum is it would be like standing on the deck of the Titanic 10 minutes after it had hit the iceberg and saying "I don't see what the big deal is, so far no one has died".

If you want to compare apples to apples, get back to us at years end and compare Covid-19 to influenza. And if somehow it turns out disaster is averted, or even that the experts were somehow wrong or over reacted.....GREAT. But for now you go with the models and prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Everybody knows the number of infected people is far far below what's being reported. Few have been tested, many show zero symptoms, and many more refused to go for the test because if it comes back positive they likely lose their livelihood.

Either way, I like that the public is finally getting a good JOLT on how best to not transmit or pick up germs, and why it's a great idea to move away from coughers & sneezes and to shame them if they're too stupid to completely cover their faces with their arm or clothes.