Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 by the numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    I wouldn't become too emotional. Your turns are next. And, I don't mean with the virus.

Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    I wouldn't become too emotional. Your turns are next. And, I don't mean with the virus.
    YOU FIRST!

Last is already first.

Last is already first.
    Touche!!

Yep, Biden and Pelosi will save us all. Go back to bed, or back to filling out handout claims. I know, this is a new era of liberal utopia.

this - according to Wikipedia as of today:

21% of cases worldwide have recovered
    5% cases in the U.S. have recovered
    9% in New York have recovered - I'm assuming they're referring to the entire state not just NYC which is much worse than the rest of the state

5.4% have died from it worldwide
    2.7% in the U.S. have died from it
    3.1% in New York have died from it

Name:  rQniieS.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  29.8 KB
    please don't feed the trolls

They estimated a 3.4% rate of death from the start.
    Even if you say 5% overall that doesn't seem so bad to me for some reason.
    I feel like you got a 95% chance or better of survival.
    Eventually Herd Immunity will kick in according to the professionals.
    Maybe it will turn into something like the Bubonic Plague which means it's a coin toss
    Heads You Live.
    Tails You Die.

The stats for Montana this morning are 281 cases, 6 deaths, 275 cases still active. So only the 6 death cases are inactive. We had 5 cases by March 14th. Today is April 5th. That's 22 days. How the hell long do they consider cases to be active? Worldometers says it runs its course in 14 days.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    The stats for Montana this morning are 281 cases, 6 deaths, 275 cases still active. So only the 6 death cases are inactive. We had 5 cases by March 14th. Today is April 5th. That's 22 days. How the hell long do they consider cases to be active? Worldometers says it runs its course in 14 days.
    I also heard this morning that Montana has had the highest percentage of its population tested in the US.

Did you know that in the USA about 625,000 legally reported abortions take place every year?
    That is about 18% of pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) or 1 in 6 babies!!
    Another interesting statistic is that 1 out of every 4 women in America will have an abortion!!
    Nobody losing sleep over those facts.
    Last edited by monet; 04-05-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

I feel overwhelming sadness for our country, the world and the suffering
    forklift loading corpses into into a tractor trailer outside a New York hospital

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-morgue-2020-3

9% in New York have recovered - I'm assuming they're referring to the entire state not just NYC which is much worse than the rest of the state

Coincidence???

Didn't realize you were lilredrooster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 04-05-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Yep, Biden and Pelosi will save us all. Go back to bed, or back to filling out handout claims. I know, this is a new era of liberal utopia.
    We need to do a reverse "prisoner swap". Send Trump over to the Dem's, for Biden and Pelosi over to Republicans, so that each side can "lock up" the other side's idiots.

Soopoo properly addressed this on WoV. Mortality rate still around 1% or lower. Deal with it mr. doom and gloom.

Speaking of Mr doom and gloom, jr, you know the cool guy, still no reply to factual mortality rates coming in from all over the world.

Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post

Soopoo properly addressed this on WoV. Mortality rate still around 1% or lower. Deal with it mr. doom and gloom.

my %s were obviously based on info that we do have
    it's not possible to compile statistics on info that we do not have

and Soopoo wrote nothing about the mortality rate being 1% or lower

he wrote this: "we are nowhere close to knowing the true denominator"

so, the % I quoted were not the true % of those who have it who will die
    granted - but until we know the actual statistics that is all we have

and there is the flip side to this that you missed:

Soopoo's comments indicate that there are likely a great many more than the 311,658 in the U.S. who have it

as displayed in the Wikipedia image that I posted
    Last edited by Half Smoke; 04-05-2020 at 11:28 AM.

I also heard this morning that Montana has had the highest percentage of its population tested in the US.
    6600 tested out of 909,000. That's about 3 quarters of 1 percent
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by House of Orange View Post

my %s were obviously based on info that we do have
    it's not possible to compile statistics on info that we do not have

and Soopoo said nothing about the mortality rate being 1% or lower

he said this: "we are nowhere close to knowing the true denominator"

so, the % I quoted were not the true % of those who have it who will die
    granted - but until we know the actual statistics that is all we have

and there is the flip side to this that you missed:

Soopoo's comments indicate that there are likely a great many more than the 311,658 in the U.S. in the Wikipedia image that I displayed who have it

I think part of this obsession with mortality rates is probably an indicator of people trying to assume "control via knowledge" when there is neither control nor a helluva lot of knowledge.

The truth is, for the 1918 pandemic and other major events, total mortality and mortality rates aren't usually assigned with some reasonable certainty until years after the events have ended and the smoke has cleared. There's too much to process. It's true that some people are dying with coronavirus but not because of coronavirus, technically. It's also true that a lot of people are dying or have died without being tested or diagnosed, but they did have the virus, so they don't initially get included in the coronavirus stats. A couple of years from now, the epidemiologists will be able to assign pretty good numbers.

And yeah, to the last comment above, many, many more have it, obviously. The projection for California, when the year is out, is about 55% of the population. Germany will be 50-70%. That's a lot of people. New York is more than 70% projected. Even a state like Tennessee, where I live, is looking at 30% or more. And that's optimistic.

what is the margin of error on this sample size?
    can somebody show me how to do the math?

thanks

what is the margin of error on this sample size?
    can somebody show me how to do the math?

thanks
    I googled "population of montana" to get that number. I got the number tested off of "worldometers.info/coronavirus/" From the home page you click on USA then click on whichever state you want, then click on the [1] on the far right. It will show you how many have been tested. The numbers are continually going up so I think they are updating quickly. Yesterday the number tested in Montana was about 5500.

It was on NBC Meet the Press this morning. Since it was Chuck Todd he probably pulled the number out his ass.

Thread Information