Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 by the numbers

Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    [QUOTEkewlJ;101606] I just don't know what we do going forward. If you open everything up, how has anything changed from the initial model. You open up early and people die. You keep everything shut down and the economy goes further down the drain. I wouldn't want to be making that decision.

Kj, this is a good balanced way of looking at it. There are no easy answers. To put this in perspective, I looked up how many people die from other diseases in United States during the same time period. The two most deadly diseases in United States are cancer and heart disease, which are far, far more deadly than coronavirus.

Jeff Lancashire, a spokesperson for the National Center for Health Statistics, said in an email "that between January and April in 2018, more than 234,000 people in the United States died of heart disease and nearly 199,000 died of cancer." If I'm reading this right, this means about 440,000 people die in United States in a three month period for these two diseases. As everybody knows, during this same time period, only about 20,000 people have died from coronavirus in US.

And some of the people who are dying from heart disease are not old people. Many are middle aged. I just read an interesting article in Sports Illustrated last night about Giannis Antetokounmpo, who some call "the Greek Freak". He's an NBA player who won the MVP award last year. His dad died 3 years ago at the age of 52 of a heart attack. He had no underlining condition and was in good health. Just think if he had died from coronavirus how the press would have been all over that. I've known people in their late 40s who have died of heart attacks. Most middle age people are probably more at risk dying from a heart attack than coronavirus. I don't know this as a fact, but I expect it's true.

With Coronavirus, about 45% who get it will be assymetric (meaning no symptoms at all). Of the 55% that show systems about 90% will be mild if they are under 65. If they are under 20, they probably won't even know they got it. So only about 5% of the middle age crowd will have bad systems. Most will still make it. And very very few will die, like what happened to the Greek Freak's dad with a heart attack.

I also looked up the amount of deaths we've had so far for the common flu since Tableplay brings this up. I am also interested in this. Attached is good article on those stats https://www.health.com/condition/col...flu-every-year

From the article: "This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses." So it looks like this year more people have died from the flu than coronavirus. Has anybody heard this mentioned by the press? I sure haven't.

None of this means I think the flu is as deadly as coronavirus. Coronavirus is worse! But it's not so bad we should have shut down our whole economy. I think Sweden got it right all along with the way they handled it. It's good to hear our great President is looking at finally opening things up. He has managed this brilliantly, considering he has to deal with our liberal press.[/QUOTE]

I've heard about and even posted about the flu numbers. It's FAR worse than coronavirus by comparison. Millions more get it, many more die, and there's a VACCINE for it. We don't hear much on it because it's not something that makes Trump look bad.

Just heard from someone that heard from someone that they just got $70 extra in food stamps. So it looks like the welfare crowd is getting paid off.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Rob, I don't think your numbers are correct, simply because we don't yet know how many asymptomatic people have had the virus. I hope for every person that gets sick there are 9 that have had the virus and didn't even know it. That would be fantastic! We have to have significant antibody testing to know that and we don't yet. They are just starting to roll that out. Maybe by the end of the week, it will start to be widespread.

I also believe your numbers that healthy middle-aged people are not getting sick are very wrong. Younger people are getting sick. They die at smaller rates, which is to be expected , but they are getting sick, some requiring hospitalization. My brother is 28 years old, in good health, athletic, slim, healthy, hasn't been to a doctor since he was in high school, no existing conditions, and he has been pretty sick for 10 days. Well let me say 7 days as he has improved over the weekend and today was the first day he had no fever. I am in my 30's and yes, I have a pre-existing heart issue, that is well under control, and healthy otherwise. I have only been very mildly sick for I think 5 days. Neither of us ever felt we needed to go to the hospital or anything, but we were both definitely sick and very fatigued. I feel pretty good the past couple days, but still have a very low fever. I want to get rid of that, so I can get antibody test ASAP.

But here"s the thing. This nasty virus or disease or whatever you want to call it, really doesn't discriminate. Sure people with conditions, including older people are at greater risk, but there are young healthy people everywhere getting sick. In trying to figure out why it effects different people differently some so called experts attribute that to different strains. I really don't know how that works.

The other thing is that anyone who watches the news see a list of common symptoms, but like I just said, it effects different people different ways, including causing people to have heart attacks. It does that because of inflammation which causes irregular heart beats. For most people this is a respitory infection, but for some, it effects the heart, kidneys, liver. One guy in New York had his legs amputated because of the virus. Not sure the exact details, but didn't get oxygenated blood to his legs for too long a period. Like I said, nasty, nasty virus.

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Just heard from someone that heard from someone that they just got $70 extra in food stamps. So it looks like the welfare crowd is getting paid off.
    Why do you object to that Mickey? We are all getting paid off. You are on Social security right? Well your social security didn't stop like working people income did, so why are you getting $1200? I am also getting the $1200 and maybe / hopefully unemployment. I don't need either. But part of this relief package is giving people money to spend to keep the economy going,,,, a stimulus so to speak. And food stamps are a pretty good stimulus. For the most part it goes right back into the economy. (Yes, I know some people sell or trade their food stamps).

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Rob, I don't think your numbers are correct, simply because we don't yet know how many asymptomatic people have had the virus. I hope for every person that gets sick there are 9 that have had the virus and didn't even know it. That would be fantastic! We have to have significant antibody testing to know that and we don't yet. They are just starting to roll that out. Maybe by the end of the week, it will start to be widespread.

I also believe your numbers that healthy middle-aged people are not getting sick are very wrong. Younger people are getting sick. They die at smaller rates, which is to be expected , but they are getting sick, some requiring hospitalization. My brother is 28 years old, in good health, athletic, slim, healthy, hasn't been to a doctor since he was in high school, no existing conditions, and he has been pretty sick for 10 days. Well let me say 7 days as he has improved over the weekend and today was the first day he had no fever. I am in my 30's and yes, I have a pre-existing heart issue, that is well under control, and healthy otherwise. I have only been very mildly sick for I think 5 days. Neither of us ever felt we needed to go to the hospital or anything, but we were both definitely sick and very fatigued. I feel pretty good the past couple days, but still have a very low fever. I want to get rid of that, so I can get antibody test ASAP.

But here"s the thing. This nasty virus or disease or whatever you want to call it, really doesn't discriminate. Sure people with conditions, including older people are at greater risk, but there are young healthy people everywhere getting sick. In trying to figure out why it effects different people differently some so called experts attribute that to different strains. I really don't know how that works.

The other thing is that anyone who watches the news see a list of common symptoms, but like I just said, it effects different people different ways, including causing people to have heart attacks. It does that because of inflammation which causes irregular heart beats. For most people this is a respitory infection, but for some, it effects the heart, kidneys, liver. One guy in New York had his legs amputated because of the virus. Not sure the exact details, but didn't get oxygenated blood to his legs for too long a period. Like I said, nasty, nasty virus.
    I understand most of that. My gripe is about this vs. the flu. I got the numbers from Fox and they're confirmed on the internet in several places.

While it's true we don't have numbers on equal footing with the flu, just look at the giant difference. And imagine what they'd be with no vaccine available.

Obama's swine flu had much higher numbers than this, and it's a faded memory because the media didn't make a big deal out of it....they didn't want to make him look bad.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post

I understand most of that. My gripe is about this vs. the flu. I got the numbers from Fox and they're confirmed on the internet in several places.

While it's true we don't have numbers on equal footing with the flu, just look at the giant difference. And imagine what they'd be with no vaccine available.

Obama's swine flu had much higher numbers than this, and it's a faded memory because the media didn't make a big deal out of it....they didn't want to make him look bad.
    Well, I guess if you got the numbers from Fox, they must be right.

Yes, the numbers are encouraging. Much less than the earlier models and estimates. BUT that is because the country has been shut down for a month. What would they be if we hadn't? and what will they be if we stop and go back to some sense of normalcy. Either of those two things and the numbers aren't compatible to the flu, but are much much worse.

Like I said I don't know what the future holds, but for those of us that enjoy sports or sportsbetting….yikes. I think the NBA and NHL are definitely done. Baseball is talking about playing games in empty spring training stadiums in Arizona and Florida. That doesn't seem very realistic to me. Football has a little bit of time to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are done with sports until a vaccine. Bad enough we have to be couped up at home, but couped up at home with no sports....that just seems inhumane.

Why do you object to that Mickey? We are all getting paid off. You are on Social security right? Well your social security didn't stop like working people income did, so why are you getting $1200? I am also getting the $1200 and maybe / hopefully unemployment. I don't need either. But part of this relief package is giving people money to spend to keep the economy going,,,, a stimulus so to speak. And food stamps are a pretty good stimulus. For the most part it goes right back into the economy. (Yes, I know some people sell or trade their food stamps).
    Well, you jumped right to a conclusion on this one. What did I write that made you think I objected to it? I didn't object to anything just stated the facts.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Well, you jumped right to a conclusion on this one. What did I write that made you think I objected to it? I didn't object to anything just stated the facts.
    It just seemed like that is where you were heading.

actually, I ordered groceries today and didn't pay too much attention to prices so I will take a look, but last wee when I ordered groceries, I noticed quite a few things, especially meats, cereal, Milk, and other staples that the price was higher. If inflation is already kicking in, and likely to continue, the food stamp people, especially the ones with kids are probably going to need a bump.

If inflation is already kicking in, and likely to continue, the food stamp people, especially the ones with kids are probably going to need a bump.
    Good point Kj. The key with inflation is if it's kicking in, we need to print more money to take care of all those in need. Hopefully, our government can print enough money where everybody can be taken care of and then nobody needs to work and we can all live in utopia.

Wow, you liberals have it all figured out. Why did it take us conservatives so long to figure out. Lol

If inflation is already kicking in, and likely to continue, the food stamp people, especially the ones with kids are probably going to need a bump.
    Good point Kj. The key with inflation is if it's kicking in, we need to print more money to take care of all those in need. Hopefully, our government can print enough money where everybody can be taken care of and then nobody needs to work and we can all live in utopia.

Wow, you liberals have it all figured out. Why did it take us conservatives so long to figure out. Lol
    Bob21, don't turn it into that. I am not advocating expansion of the welfare state. This is a national emergency and people are out of work and forced to stay home and need our government (the greatest country in the world) to help for a short time, until we get through this.

Bob21, don't turn it into that. I am not advocating expansion of the welfare state. This is a national emergency and people are out of work and forced to stay home and need our government (the greatest country in the world) to help for a short time, until we get through this.
    Kj, I don't want to "turn it into that". Just pointing out reality. Liberals think the solution to everything is more government and more handouts, which basically means less freedom (which they will never say).

That's the problem with liberals, they live in fantasy land. Here's a news flash, the only way any government works is if people work. Printing money doesn't create wealth or alleviate poverty. It actually creates poverty.

I know that's hard for a liberal to understand. I'm just pointing out reality. As you said, we're "the greatest country in the world". Guess how we got there? Freedom and hard work. It wasn't from government hand outs, government control of our lives,and printing money.

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    All of this penetration talk is somewhat interesting Redietz in your response to KewlJ regarding his life. Penetration is a huge factor in every facet in KJ's life. First, as you described the unknown question of penetration of the COVID-19 virus throughout the country. Then hopefully everything goes back to normal and KJ's main concerns revolve around the penetration he is getting on the green felt as well as the penetration he is getting sticking it up some homo's asshole.
    How clever Bosox. That make you feel like a big man? To me it proves just the opposite....what a small minded person you are. Not only with the 3rd grade homophobic insult to me, but basically a big fuck you to Dan Druff.
    KJ, just responding to your own post a few days ago when you said:

"This virus disproportionately kills males and older people. Basically the demographics of Fox News viewers.

Is it really any surprise God has created a virus to rid us of these bitter, old hateful people? Good riddance BoSox and Singer....drop us a line from hell, you bitter, ancient fossils."

All of this penetration talk is somewhat interesting Redietz in your response to KewlJ regarding his life. Penetration is a huge factor in every facet in KJ's life. First, as you described the unknown question of penetration of the COVID-19 virus throughout the country. Then hopefully everything goes back to normal and KJ's main concerns revolve around the penetration he is getting on the green felt as well as the penetration he is getting sticking it up some homo's asshole.
    How clever Bosox. That make you feel like a big man? To me it proves just the opposite....what a small minded person you are. Not only with the 3rd grade homophobic insult to me, but basically a big fuck you to Dan Druff.

"This virus disproportionately kills males and older people. Basically the demographics of Fox News viewers.

Is it really any surprise God has created a virus to rid us of these bitter, old hateful people? Good riddance BoSox and Singer....drop us a line from hell, you bitter, ancient fossils."
    This is shocking news! I thought kj never said anything bad about anybody. Lol. I need to reassess my views on kj. I still think Kj is a left-wing liberal nut. But now I see he does attack people and says vile things about people on the internet.

Guess how we got there? Freedom and hard work. It wasn't from government hand outs, government control of our lives,and printing money.
    Freedom and hard work? People can't work Bob21! There work places are closed!

This is shocking news! I thought kj never said anything bad about anybody. Lol. I need to reassess my views on kj. I still think Kj is a left-wing liberal nut. But now I see he does attack people and says vile things about people on the internet.
    What is the matter with you? You just get off on being disagreeable and trying to start shit.

What is the matter with you? You just get off on being disagreeable and trying to start shit.
    No. I’m asking honest questions, and for the most part you don’t answer them. When I read your posts, it appears your solution to every problem is more government and more handouts. I’m just pointing out how naïve that approach is.

I’m trying to help you think, and expand upon your narrow views of how to solve all problems (which revolves around more government and less freedom). I know this is a rare trait with liberals and many times it can’t be learned. I’ve given up with MidWest Player. He’s a died in the wool liberal and he doesn’t even know why, except he was born that way. I was hoping there was some hope for you.

LOL @ BoSox and that kewlJ quote!

When BoSox started posting over here he was sticking up for homosexuals and kewlJ all the time.
    Somehow kewlJ offended him or upset him and he has been relentlessly bashing kewlJ and his people.
    Maybe I am remembering incorrectly but either way this new BoSox is pretty funny.

Kj, I don't want to "turn it into that". Just pointing out reality. Liberals think the solution to everything is more government and more handouts, which basically means less freedom (which they will never say).

That's the problem with liberals, they live in fantasy land. Here's a news flash, the only way any government works is if people work. Printing money doesn't create wealth or alleviate poverty. It actually creates poverty.

I know that's hard for a liberal to understand. I'm just pointing out reality. As you said, we're "the greatest country in the world". Guess how we got there? Freedom and hard work. It wasn't from government hand outs, government control of our lives,and printing money.
    What’s another trillion on the debt pile, right?

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post

What’s another trillion on the debt pile, right?
    Saw something on cnbc this morning where a host was talking about G7 countries forgiving the debt of poorest countries.
    Eventually this all leads to a one world government. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Eventually this all leads to a one world government. Hopefully not in my lifetime.
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    Lustin' lutins (from) NUTS:LI (Lichtenstein), unlist insult, until's sunlit!

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Shut it down, LMR. = Low Mind thRust, (invar.)

555 = 111 + 4*111 = 15*37, or 37*15, as 153, and 7, or, 371, and 5. As 153 on 371, to 5/7 left, as 6 +/- 1.

3/21 to 8/22 is 153 + 1 days. 321 = 107*3 + 0; 123 = 3*71 + 0. To 1/0. 822 = (-1 + 7)(37 + 100); 228 = 57[6 - (1 + 1)], ---> 11411. 15[3^2] = 153 + (5 + 1). 154 days is ~ 42.08% of year 2020. 451 = 11*41^1.

Thread Information