Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing During The Coronapocalypse?

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Last night's movie was Bohemian Rhapsody on HBO NOW.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrW...mJa6NpdXbuUyM-

Another movie I enjoyed. I thought it was better than the Elton John biopic, Rocket Man. Not sure if you have access to that one.
    I watched Rocket Man for about 20 minutes then switched to something else. Might try to watch it again. I get it for free on Youtube TV.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Check out this NJ Public School Teacher telling 2 students she hopes they die.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/hamilton...ol-new-jersey/

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/teache...avirus-report/

Who knew Red was female, lived in Jersey and was a teacher?

Yesterday's movie was Black Mass, the movie about Whitey Bulger. $4 on Youtube.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrU...0KRj.OFGALKbo-
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

I ran rough and got knocked out of six straight poker tournaments in a row without cashing, twice on the bubble. Tonight, I played the $22 Knockout that started at 22:30 Mountain Time and got 169 players. Came in 5th for a $96 cash.

I posted this in Movie Reco but figured I would mention it here.
    I would think after your recent Heart Issues the movie Meet Joe Black could resonate with you.
    The scene where he is having a coronary and sweating while kneeling down could move you somewhat.
    Kind of a long mushy movie but it has some good points.
    I remember how it bombed at the Box Office but if you read user reviews it seems people love it.
    I think you have to enjoy classical music to appreciate this movie.
    They spent 90 million to only get back 45 million around the time of release.
    This is one reason that Hollywood has changed over the years and moved to Super Hero Movies.
    3 hour epics like: Meet Joe Black, have far too much risk for investors, no matter how great the score, story, actors or cinematography is.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I posted this in Movie Reco but figured I would mention it here.
    I would think after your recent Heart Issues the movie Meet Joe Black could resonate with you.
    The scene where he is having a coronary and sweating while kneeling down could move you somewhat.
    Kind of a long mushy movie but it has some good points.
    I remember how it bombed at the Box Office but if you read user reviews it seems people love it.
    I think you have to enjoy classical music to appreciate this movie.
    They spent 90 million to only get back 45 million around the time of release.
    This is one reason that Hollywood has changed over the years and moved to Super Hero Movies.
    3 hour epics like: Meet Joe Black, have far too much risk for investors, no matter how great the score, story, actors or cinematography is.
    I was surprised to see that a lot of movies lose money. Most have the cost and amount made in their wiki's. According to the Meet Joe Black wiki the movie cost 90 million and returned 143 million.

I was surprised to see that a lot of movies lose money. Most have the cost and amount made in their wiki's. According to the Meet Joe Black wiki the movie cost 90 million and returned 143 million.
    I got my wires crossed.
    It did flop in America but worldwide it made 143 million gross.
    Something about only making 45 million dollars profit on a 90 million dollar investment is losing by Movie Making Standards.

This morning I played Bovada's 6:08 AM Mountain Time Crazy 8's tournament. $16.50 buy-in, 604 players. Came in 25th to cash for $54.

I got my wires crossed.
    It did flop in America but worldwide it made 143 million gross.
    Something about only making 45 million dollars profit on a 90 million dollar investment is losing by Movie Making Standards.
    53 million if I do my maths correctly, only 8 million dollar difference who's counting!!.( small mistake Mamat)

A horserace worth watching:

A horserace worth watching:

Very, very good mickey. Very funny stuff.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    53 million if I do my maths correctly, only 8 million dollar difference who's counting!!.( small mistake Mamat)
    I know you are trying to razz me which is fine.
    These posted numbers are not the exact numbers.
    If you investigate into it you will find articles that differ.
    Here is a direct quote from an Indie Wire Article that surfaced 21 years after the movie release.

Martin Brest’s 1998 drama “Meet Joe Black” was a box office bomb in the U.S. with a $44 million gross on a $90 million production budget, but 21 years later it’s officially become a viral sensation.

I guess the problem was I was talking about the domestic numbers which only garnered 44/45 million on a 90 million dollar budget.
    The worldwide numbers helped Meet Joe Black not be a complete disaster but this movie Bombed in America on release.
    Personally I watched it a few times in the late 90s and it had a hard time holding my attention.
    The older I got the more the movie impacted my emotions or I understood the theme better.
    Also, over the years I became more interested in Classical Music so the score in the movie started to impact me even more.

BUDGET: $90 MILLION
    FINANCED BY: UNIVERSAL

Domestic Box Office: $44,619,100
    Overseas Box Office: $98,321,000

Funny, when I posted this topic and movie I figured it would just get dismissed.
    I didn't realize that Meet Joe Black or the profit margin of Meet Joe Black would garner so much interest.
    I'm surprised nobody has come in here all upset about how Harvey Weinstein ruined the career of Claire Forlani who starred in the movie.

I get that you or MC or others are looking to bust my balls which is fine.
    I deserve it.
    However, this seems like an odd place to do it.
    The main point of my post was to say that Meet Joe Black is a pretty decent flick if MC or others wanted to watch it.
    Far better than those movies he has been watching like Rocket Man, Bohemian Rhapsody, Milk... what the F is with the Gay Theme?
    I never watched any of them but from the previews I could tell they weren't worth it for me.
    I don't enjoy going to Cover Bands in Vegas either... I'm totally against the idea, so Cover Band Movies aren't going to be on my watch list.
    (I did enjoy Val Kilmer in the Doors though)
    Mix in the SJW, Homosexual Liberal Agenda of today's movies and it will make me want to tune out even more.
    The other point was to say that Meet Joe Black was a flop... which it was but I wasn't trying to get into the semantics of how much money the movie made or lost.
    I was generally saying that the movie had bad reviews on release and didn't make money.
    Those figures are never accurate with all the backdoor dealing anyway.
    So yes, according to the hard numbers I posted you could say that I don't know what I am talking about but I think you are missing the point.
    Unless the point is to troll me and get me to post which you have succeeded but movies is kinda a big interest of mine so it wasn't hard to trigger me.

Whatever, you all are free to watch what you want.
    I just find the movie selection odd for the image that MC has created over the years of posting.
    Last edited by monet; 05-02-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Here is a direct quote from an Indie Wire Article that surfaced 21 years after the movie release.

Martin Brest’s 1998 drama “Meet Joe Black” was a box office bomb in the U.S. with a $44 million gross on a $90 million production budget, but 21 years later it’s officially become a viral sensation.

I guess the problem was I was talking about the domestic numbers which only garnered 44/45 million on a 90 million dollar budget.
    The worldwide numbers helped Meet Joe Black not be a complete disaster but this movie Bombed in America on release.

Funny, when I posted this topic and movie I figured it would just get dismissed.
    I didn't realize that Meet Joe Black or the profit margin of Meet Joe Black would garner so much interest.
    I'm surprised nobody has come in here all upset about how Harvey Weinstein ruined the career of Claire Forlani who starred in the movie.

I deserve it.
    The main point of my post was to say that Meet Joe Black is a pretty decent flick if MC or others wanted to watch it.
    Far better than those movies he has been watching like Rocket Man, Bohemian Rhapsody, Milk... what the F is with the Gay Theme?
    I never watched any of them but from the previews I could tell they weren't worth it for me.
    I don't enjoy going to Cover Bands in Vegas either... I'm totally against the idea, so Cover Band Movies aren't going to be on my watch list.
    Mix in the SJW, Homosexual Liberal Agenda of today's movies is only going to make me not want to watch even more.
    The other point was to say that Meet Joe Black was a flop... which it was but we could get into semantics on if the movie made money or lost money and how much.
    So yes, according to the hard numbers I posted you could say that I don't know what I am talking about but I think your missing the point

I just find the movie selection odd for the image that MC has created over the years of posting.
    Monet, I get your point. After you made your post about Meet Joe Black, I did my own internet search on it and watched serveral clips, since I always kind of liked that movie, but didn’t know why. Probably because it was different.

I caught that it made $145 million worldwide, but decided against posting that number because I get what your point was, and you are correct. For a movie to break even it has to do double its budget, since half the proceeds go to the movie theater and marketing. So Meet Joe Black would have had to make about $180 to break even, and it didn’t do that. So based on that metric it’d be called a flop.

Anyway thanks for posting something about Meet Joe Black. Almost makes me want to go back and watch it. Problem is it’s too long so I’ll probably fall sleep. But it had some good parts, and it wasn’t your standard formula Hollywood movie.

Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    Monet, I get your point. After you made your post about Meet Joe Black, I did my own internet search on it and watched serveral clips, since I always kind of liked that movie, but didn’t know why. Probably because it was different.

I caught that it made $145 million worldwide, but decided against posting that number because I get what your point was, and you are correct. For a movie to break even it has to do double its budget, since half the proceeds go to the movie theater and marketing. So Meet Joe Black would have had to make about $180 to break even, and it didn’t do that. So based on that metric it’d be called a flop.

Anyway thanks for posting something about Meet Joe Black. Almost makes me want to go back and watch it. Problem is it’s too long so I’ll probably fall sleep. But it had some good parts, and it wasn’t your standard formula Hollywood movie.
    I stated you have to have the time and be in the right frame of mind for this movie.
    You kinda have to like cliches and corn as well.
    Most people today would be outraged how White this movie is or how its about the difficulty of the Wealthy Aristocratic Caucasians.
    The constant hypnotizing music is enough for me.
    Mix in the cinematography, sets and staging and I appreciate it even more.
    To be honest, Marcia Gay Harden's character is the girl I want to be with... not Claire Forlani.
    IMO Jeffrey Tambor kinda stole some of the movie with his comedy or comedic timing.
    Oh well... I could talk about movies forever.
    I think another point was to stir up some buzz about the movie and it appears my posts have at least done that somewhat.
    Thanks for the interest.

This is a pretty good article (Bomb Report) about how it bombed and how bad timing played a part.
    The director had complete control and refused to cut the 3 hour film.
    Personally I am glad he didn't cut it.
    They cut the movie "Once Upon a Time in America" and it ruined the box office, movie and director Sergio Leone.
    Thankfully they restored the movie on DVD to its original Run Time.
    (I own a DVD Copy)
    With Meet Joe Black the public wins in the end, as the movie got to stay in its original format.

https://bombreport.com/yearly-breakd...eet-joe-black/
    Last edited by monet; 05-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post

I stated you have to have the time and be in the right frame of mind for this movie.
    You kinda have to like cliches and corn as well.
    Most people today would be outraged how White this movie is or how its about the difficulty of the Wealthy Aristocratic Caucasians.
    The constant hypnotizing music is enough for me.
    Mix in the cinematography, sets and staging and I appreciate it even more.
    To be honest, Marcia Gay Harden's character is the girl I want to be with... not Claire Forlani.
    IMO Jeffrey Tambor kinda stole some of the movie with his comedy or comedic timing.
    Oh well... I could talk about movies forever.
    I think another point was to stir up some buzz about the movie and it appears my posts have at least done that somewhat.
    Thanks for the interest.

This is a pretty good article (Bomb Report) about how it bombed and how bad timing played a part.
    The director had complete control and refused to cut the 3 hour film.
    Personally I am glad he didn't cut it.
    They cut the movie "Once Upon a Time in America" and it ruined the box office, movie and director Sergio Leone.
    Thankfully they restored the movie on DVD to its original Run Time.
    (I own a DVD Copy)
    With Meet Joe Black the public wins in the end, as the movie got to stay in its original format.

https://bombreport.com/yearly-breakd...eet-joe-black/
    That was a good article. I read somewhere someone at the studio did edit it down to 2 hours and it was shown on planes. Plane movies should be around 2 hours or less. The director hated it. So there is a shorter version out there somewhere, but I agree with you, if you’re going to watch it, you got to go the full three hour version route.

As far as which girl I’d go for, no question it’d be the character played by Claire Forlari. She had that naive sultry seductive look to her. She played the part perfectly!

Personally I watched it a few times in the late 90s and it had a hard time holding my attention.
    The older I got the more the movie impacted my emotions or I understood the theme better.
    Also, over the years I became more interested in Classical Music so the score in the movie started to impact me even more.

I deserve it.
    Mix in the SJW, Homosexual Liberal Agenda of today's movies and it will make me want to tune out even more.
    The other point was to say that Meet Joe Black was a flop... which it was but I wasn't trying to get into the semantics of how much money the movie made or lost.
    I was generally saying that the movie had bad reviews on release and didn't make money.
    So yes, according to the hard numbers I posted you could say that I don't know what I am talking about but I think you are missing the point.
    Unless the point is to troll me and get me to post which you have succeeded but movies is kinda a big interest of mine so it wasn't hard to trigger me.

I can see where you think Black Mass and Bohemian Rhapsody have a lot in common. LOL! You cherry picked three movies out of dozens I've watched during the shutdown. I watched all of 20 minutes of Rocketman and want to something else. Only one member of Queen was gay and the movie was historical. I was interested in Milk because he lived across the street from where I lived when I was a kid. It's history. There were several shots of Castro Street where I lived in the movie. I haven't posted that many movies up in this thread but I watch movies that are based in history. I'm just not much on fiction, science fiction, horror movies, etc. That an actor or character in a movie is gay is of no consequence to me. If a character is gay then it should be accurate. One of the things I didn't like about Deadwood was it made Calamity Jane out to be gay. That's was not true. She was married most of her life.

You watch movies for entirely different reasons than I do. Movie like Meet Joe Black are just a bunch of nauseaus fiction to me. That's not my cup of tea. To each his own.

You having a problem with me watching a movie because someone in it is gay is like me having a problem with you because you live in Las Vegas and there are gay people there.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 05-03-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Ghost Writer is pretty good and free on Youtube...

Thanks. I'll put it on my list. And thanks for reminding about The Doors. I haven't seen that one either. And it's history which I like.

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, a wonderful day for a neighbor.

Well, it's May 4th. The day the bar/casinos are allowed to reopen in Montana. It's 6:04 AM Mountain Time. The casinos open at 8 AM. That makes it T minus 1 hour and 56 minutes until they open. Time to jump in the shower, then go get some breakfast, then....hit the casinos for an hour or two.

I saw that one in the theaters and enjoyed it.

Thread Information