Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Grocery Store Update

As usual, I put my threads in the proper place.

I went out and did about 500 dollars worth of grocery shopping today.
    I hit Chinatown to see if it was crowded and to see about the rice situation.
    Could not find any Jasmine Rice and certainly no large bags.
    I got a smaller bag that my wife says is too sticky.
    I told her don't eat it!!

Chinatown was very slow but very well stocked.
    Higher prices with some items but for the most part still reasonable to me.
    Every employee and most customers with face masks and some gloves.

I stocked up on a bunch of rice noodles and other items.

On the way home I stopped at La Bonita on East Desert Inn.
    Very different situation.
    They are making a line outside and limiting customers.
    They have limits on many items like can goods and beans.
    Meat is limited at 5lbs but you can get 5lbs of each item.
    They have black tape at the check out to keep people distanced.
    IMO, If this continues they will start rationing.

I found one last 12 roll of toilet paper which was a bonus.
    It has been 4 days since I have gone to Albertson's or Walmart so next time I will update.
    Even if you aren't in Vegas let us know your situation if you like.

Personally, I planed on using my scarf as a face mask but just couldn't stick with it.
    They say you have to take your clothes off and wash them when you get home.
    They say you should wipe all items down and get rid of bags.
    Bahhhh I can't do all that lol.
    I washed my hands and called it the day.

Oh I forgot... if you want to work I see Albertson's, Warlmart and others are hiring immediately.
    Certainly not ideal as you will be close to the front lines but if you don't mind risking it they got jobs in Vegas.
    Also, Unemployment seems to be working as usual but I expect it to slow down as applications increase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monet; 03-23-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    As usual, I put my threads in the proper place.

I went out and did about 500 dollars worth of grocery shopping today.
    I hit Chinatown to see if it was crowded and to see about the rice situation.
    Could not find any Jasmine Rice and certainly no large bags.
    I got a smaller bag that my wife says is too sticky.
    I told her don't eat it!!

Chinatown was very slow but very well stocked.
    Higher prices with some items but for the most part still reasonable to me.
    Every employee and most customers with face masks and some gloves.

I stocked up on a bunch of rice noodles and other items.

On the way home I stopped at La Bonita on East Desert Inn.
    Very different situation.
    They are making a line outside and limiting customers.
    They have limits on many items like can goods and beans.
    Meat is limited at 5lbs but you can get 5lbs of each item.
    They have black tape at the check out to keep people distanced.
    IMO, If this continues they will start rationing.

I found one last 12 roll of toilet paper which was a bonus.
    It has been 4 days since I have gone to Albertson's or Walmart so next time I will update.
    Even if you aren't in Vegas let us know your situation if you like.

Personally, I planed on using my scarf as a face mask but just couldn't stick with it.
    They say you have to take your clothes off and wash them when you get home.
    They say you should wipe all items down and get rid of bags.
    Bahhhh I can't do all that lol.
    I washed my hands and called it the day.

Oh I forgot... if you want to work I see Albertson's, Warlmart and others are hiring immediately.
    Certainly not ideal as you will be close to the front lines but if you don't mind risking it they got jobs in Vegas.
    Also, Unemployment seems to be working as usual but I expect it to slow down as applications increase.
    All the chain supermarkets across the country are putting on extra hired help.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

I seen a bunch of kids in the neighborhood on bikes playing like usual.
    Here in Vegas we are not really practicing any type of social distancing.
    Only at that one grocery store I seen any attempt and it wasn't that serious.
    Buses seem to be running like usual.
    It is quieter but plenty of people out and about and very close to each other buying groceries.
    Just the way it is.
    Hopefully our drier climate and the heat will reduce numbers in the near future.
    Most of the masks are in Chinatown but I see some here and there in other stores.
    I did buy some motorcycle helmets for the near future if it gets bad lol but that would be funny wearing that everywhere.

I went grocery shopping. Bought random stuff. Only thing I couldn't find that I was looking for were eggs. People have went crazy over eggs. Eggs, milk, bread are limited to 1 per person. If you came with 2 people it'd be better. As it is, one person can't do grocery shopping for multiple people.

I left the hand sanitizer in the car but had wore my mask. The mask is better, but I like to sanitize the handle of the basket. Not many people have masks. No purell at the wal-mart. So I touched the thing trying to get it to work. The papertowels on the other side were just that - papertowels. Plenty of meat to be had at the mexican grocery stores. They even have bread.

They say you don't need the masks in public if you are not infected but the one thing it will do is keep you from touching your mouth and nose while you are touching other things.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    They say you don't need the masks in public if you are not infected but the one thing it will do is keep you from touching your mouth and nose while you are touching other things.
    And they are wrong. They say that to keep hoarding down. While I don't think we're being blatantly lied to by the government, they're not always truthful. "You don't need". Sure I don't need it, but I'm almost positive my chances are greatly lowered. If nothing else, just from the fact I don't touch my face.

These are n95 masks, there is a reasonable chance they'd catch a particulate/aersol floating about. I've read studies over parents caring for their kid with the flu. Masks helped a lot with transmission.

We had social distancing at the special que tip hour at our local grocery store. That was at 6:57 AM. Then the doors opened up at 7 and distancing was no more!

I went to El Super the other day because their poison meats are cheaper.
    The line was too long outside so I drove over to Albertsons.
    When I first went in it was very quiet and only a few people.
    It got busier in about 5 to 10 minutes as I dilly dallied around in the produce section.
    I was in a bit of a shock how quiet and empty the place was.
    They had plenty of just about everything.
    They limited bread, meats and a few other things.
    They had no limit on canned goods, pasta or pasta sauce.
    Ground Beef went up to 5.50 a pound but Corned Beef was on special for 2.99.
    Chicken was the same as usual at about 99 cents or 1.49 a pound.
    Spaghetti Sauce went up to 3 dollars or more per jar.
    Peanut Butter went up as well but for the most part everything else was about the same.
    My cart filled up quickly and I forgot to check for Bleach, Toilet Paper and items like that.
    I spent about 220 dollars and went home.
    Last edited by monet; 04-02-2020 at 11:12 PM.

about 10 days ago I placed an order for delivery from Smiths grocery store. Placed the order on a Friday and the earliest delivery was the following day. Was supposed to be 3pm, ended up being about 7:30pm. Out of the 32 items I ordered, I got 25. They were out of the other items and refunded the cost.

Today I placed another order from Smiths. Smaller, 19 items. Order was delivered 90 minutes later and everything ordered was there. 1 minor "brand" substitution, which was fine. Way to go smiths. Excellent service.

And most important....I have Ice cream!

On the way to the store, they were not selling oranges or flowers on the corners...they were selling face masks.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

I'm having a hard time forcing myself to eat all the can goods I bought. I traditionally don't eat much out of the cans. I'm used to shopping a couple of times a week for groceries and usually don't buy much of anything canned. But the coronapocalypse caused me to become deranged and stock up on way to many canned goods. The trick with canned goods is getting the stuff to taste like it didn't come out of a can. That can be tricky. I immediately dump a bunch of black pepper in it. Maybe some garlic. A little seasoning.

Last time I went shopping, a week ago. Walmart was back to being well stocked including TP. I had a couple prescriptions to pick up so parked by the pharmacy entrance. They had the damn door locked with a sign that said go to the grocery store door. Dammit, I had to walk all that way and was going to have to walk all the way back to the pharmacy side just to pick up the damn meds. So I walked on over to the grocery store doors, already getting out of breath, and when I got inside I spied those electric carts.

First time for everything. I jumped into one of them and off to the races. I didn't give a damn that the pharmacy was way over on the one side and the dairy was in the far back on the other side. I tried to get the cart to pull a wheely but to no avail.

Oh, yeah, I had my bandana mask on to. I was wanting to say "stick 'em up" to everyone I ran into. It's going to be a problem when the slot parlours open back up. They all got signs outside that so no masks, hoodies, etc.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 04-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.

I'm having a hard time forcing myself to eat all the can goods I bought. I traditionally don't eat much out of the cans. I'm used to shopping a couple of times a week for groceries and usually don't buy much of anything canned. But the coronapocalypse caused me to become deranged and stock up on way to many canned goods. The trick with canned goods is getting the stuff to taste like it didn't come out of a can. That can be tricky. I immediately dump a bunch of black pepper in it. Maybe some garlic. A little seasoning.

Last time I went shopping, a week ago. Walmart was back to being well stocked including TP. I had a couple prescriptions to pick up so parked by the pharmacy entrance. They had the damn door locked with a sign that said go to the grocery store door. Dammit, I had to walk all that way and was going to have to walk all the way back to the pharmacy side just to pick up the damn meds. So I walked on over to the grocery store doors, already getting out of breath, and when I got inside I spied those electric carts.

First time for everything. I jumped into one of them and off to the races. I didn't give a damn that the pharmacy was way over on the one side and the dairy was in the far back on the other side. I tried to get the cart to pull a wheely but to no avail.

Oh, yeah, I had my bandana mask on to. I was wanting to say "stick 'em up" to everyone I ran into. It's going to be a problem when the slot parlours open back up. They all got signs outside that so no masks, hoodies, etc.
    Save the canned goods for the upcoming food shortages. If they are still not needed donate them a few months before expiry. I've been prepping with canned goods for years and donating for years. I dont' like canned stuff but dislike freeze dried stuff even more. But I do love preps

I went to El Super today around 5pm.
    Probably not a great time to go shopping.
    No lines this time and they had everything I wanted in stock.
    I didn't see any limits on any items but I didn't check everything.
    I bought 11lbs of chicken, 6lbs of beef and 5lbs of pork.
    I got a bunch of oranges, lemons and other vegetables.
    40 eggs, a gallon of milk, 2 loaves of bread and a marble cake.
    Got a few other snacks as well and the cart was full before I realized it.
    125 dollars later I was out the door.
    I'm gonna head back out in a day or two for more supplies.
    If I see lines out the door I just drive to a different store or wait for another day.
    I masked up but I find it very uncomfortable.
    I don't worry about my shoes or clothes when I get home... I am just not that anal.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post

Save the canned goods for the upcoming food shortages. If they are still not needed donate them a few months before expiry. I've been prepping with canned goods for years and donating for years. I dont' like canned stuff but dislike freeze dried stuff even more. But I do love preps
    Thanks for the tip, Max. You're right. I ain't gotta eat that canned crap. Think I'll head up to Walmart this morning for some real food.

I made a trip to a local Farmers Market to get out of the house today. This is located near an Amish & Mennonite community and many but not all the vendors are. Most of the food stands were open with fresh produce, meats and baked goods. Along with the typical Pretzel & French Fry stand thrown in for good measure. The weekly live small animal auction was still scheduled for later in the day.

Anyways they had a lot of produce at cheap prices. 10 Pound Cases of Bananas for $2, Strawberries $1 a box along with Blackberries, Blueberries and Raspberries at $1.50 a box. All were still fresh and by no means out of code. I’m guessing they are buying this stuff cheap because there is just too much in the marketplace without Restaurants buying as much along with no school sales.

Name:  80D4D601-709A-4C0D-A37F-D6D69AACE501.jpeg
Views: 1999
Size:  56.1 KBName:  8ADC180E-0D07-41A6-AD80-7D26CD847BE3.jpeg
Views: 2021
Size:  38.7 KBName:  171AF8F9-089A-4A7C-B40A-DEB9AB0E4328.jpeg
Views: 2023
Size:  45.5 KBName:  A45B55AE-661F-4B4C-9EA0-65AEA0540698.jpeg
Views: 2089
Size:  39.3 KB

You Fuckers will be happy to hear I haven't bought any pounds of meat recently.
    Nor have I gone into a grocery store for 4 days.
    I haven't shot any bullets into the desert.
    I hope you are all happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    Well, we can all rest a little easier now.

Have you seen the https://www1.movieorca.com/tv/the-time-tunnel-35963 ? It must have been the precursor for the Quantum Leap show.
    Lustin' lutins (from) NUTS:LI (Lichtenstein), unlist insult, until's sunlit!

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Shut it down, LMR. = Low Mind thRust, (invar.)

555 = 111 + 4*111 = 15*37, or 37*15, as 153, and 7, or, 371, and 5. As 153 on 371, to 5/7 left, as 6 +/- 1.

3/21 to 8/22 is 153 + 1 days. 321 = 107*3 + 0; 123 = 3*71 + 0. To 1/0. 822 = (-1 + 7)(37 + 100); 228 = 57[6 - (1 + 1)], ---> 11411. 15[3^2] = 153 + (5 + 1). 154 days is ~ 42.08% of year 2020. 451 = 11*41^1.

Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    Well, we can all rest a little easier now.

Have you seen the https://www1.movieorca.com/tv/the-time-tunnel-35963 ? It must have been the precursor for the Quantum Leap show.
    No but uhhh thanks for the information.
    Seems that it was eclipsed by many other shows around it.
    Apparently it debuted the same week as Star Trek.
    Amazing how I missed this one series as it was in the time of...

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
    Lost in Space
    Land of the Giants.

I suppose since it only lasted one season it got lost in the shuffle.
    It does appear that Quantum Leap regurgitated the premise of the Time Tunnel.
    Of course you could say the Time Tunnel ripped off the movie The Time Travelers
    (also known as Time Trap 1964).

Good information though as the series had 30 episodes.
    Guess I haven't seen every TV Show or Movie in America.

At least I seen three versions of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    I wasn't upset about the more modern Hollywood version as I thought it was funny.
    Even though they ripped on Christianity pretty hard.

What 7 and a half million years later...
    That's right!
    They do.
    Deep Thought...

Binary = 101010 = 42

M (13th letter of the alphabet)
    A (1st)
    T (20th)
    H (8th)
    = 42

2 x 3 x 7 = 42

1/2 + 1/3 + 1/7 + 1/42 = 1

HARSHAD?

International Mathematical Olympiad Perfect Score = 42/42

Last edited by monet; 04-17-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    You Fuckers will be happy to hear I haven't bought any pounds of meat recently.
    Nor have I gone into a grocery store for 4 days.
    I haven't shot any bullets into the desert.
    I hope you are all happy.
    JBS pork processing plant in MN just shut down because they had an outbreak of 17 or 19 confirmed cases now or whatever. That’s after the Smithfield one in Sioux Falls. Better go stock up some more you fuckers! lol. JBS is the exclusive supplier of Costco pork.

As a Brooklyn native, the number 42 relates to one specific individual, Jackie Robinson. Since I try to stay way from politics and we have three inches of snow on the ground, I though I would glance at this Hall of Famer's statistics.

Damn, the virus and snow has caused me to become a hybrid of Monet and LMR (try putting them both together in the same room).

If you take Jackie's: RBI total minus Batting Average minus Home Runs minus Steals of Home (a major league record at the time) minus date of debut divided by number of all star appearances…...what do you get? Number 42

734 - 311 - 137 - 19 - 15 ./. 6 = 42

I showed my wife this equation with enthusiasm. She demanded that I take my first drink of the day.

Thread Information