Thread: Update on Masks

Disclaimer: a surgical mask is a mask but not all MASKS are surgical masks. Please do not buy surgical or surgical grade masks that hospitals & health care workers need!!

I posted before that we need masks & face shields if the US gov’t wanted us to get back to work soon. The logic was belts and suspenders mentality or margin of safety. More barriers reduces chance of catching Wuhan Virus.

1. CDC updates their guidelines to include masks.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html

2. The data suggests masks are effective in reducing Wuhan Virus transmissions:
    Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/nntaleb/s...58907962920964

3. Nice article on what materials to use to make a mask.
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/

Summary: Use two or more masks at the same time. Again, use belts & suspenders approach ... have a high margin of safety.

Forgot to mention “density” like threads per square inch. If you ever slept on 500 count vs 160 count sheets, then you know what I am talking about.

If you search the web, most guidelines are minimum of 160 threads per inch. Here is one source (recommending two layer masks):
    https://www.ketv.com/amp/article/cor...masks/31991672

So I was thinking about microfiber for glass and these fabric are incredibly dense: “A square inch of fabric contains 90,000 to 200,000 fiber strands.”

source: https://guidetodetailing.com/detaili...els-tools/amp/

The logic is more threads per inch or more dense the material per inch, the better at trapping stuff. Each mask uses two layers.

And to be clear, I am recommending wearing two masks or 4 layers of material.

Two masks at a time bruh you think us non preppers are able to just find, and be allowed to buy, dozens of masks right now?

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Two masks at a time bruh you think us non preppers are able to just find, and be allowed to buy, dozens of masks right now?
    1. It’s your life so you need to decide how many masks to wear at one time, and how many layer in each mask.

2. As I wrote earlier, I am using “masks” generically as opposed to specific surgical masks.

Here’s what I see in stores right now in stores: people are using bandannas, neck gaiters, home made masks, etc. In the first post, there is an article pointing out materials like t-shirts, pillow cases, etc. There’s lots of YouTube videos & articles on the web on how to make masks.

I have a couple more of neck gaiters that have spandex, etc so it works for me & it’s easy to wash & dry. You can find them at REI, Walmart, or any Outdoor or Hunting stores.

My life is valuable so I will wear two masks.

Originally Posted by Ex-AP View Post
    Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    1. It’s your life so you need to decide how many masks to wear at one time, and how many layer in each mask.

2. As I wrote earlier, I am using “masks” generically as opposed to specific surgical masks.

Here’s what I see in stores right now in stores: people are using bandannas, neck gaiters, home made masks, etc. In the first post, there is an article pointing out materials like t-shirts, pillow cases, etc. There’s lots of YouTube videos & articles on the web on how to make masks.

I have a couple more of neck gaiters that have spandex, etc so it works for me & it’s easy to wash & dry. You can find them at REI, Walmart, or any Outdoor or Hunting stores.

My life is valuable so I will wear two masks.

My girlfriend made some masks via internet patterns. Used sheets for material, building in a pocket to place either multiple gauze layers or HEPA filters in as the filtering. Wear in public once, then remove and replace filter and wash mask.

We do have 30 low-grade commercial masks (not N-95s), so yes, the formal recommendation is to wear two masks, the low-grade covered by the homemade. The low grades are for one-use only, so we'll save them for times when we know we'll be interacting with someone and we'll wear two masks at that time. The rest of the time, we'll go with the homemade masks until better masks become commercially available.

Well, I tried to jog with a mask today. I made it about 200 yards of a 1 1/2 mile run. Just could not breathe. I can see how a mask jiggling up and down can lead to people touching their faces more to adjust the mask, thereby neutralizing the point of the mask. If I were in high school or college shape, I could pull off jogging while wearing a mask, but not now.

Italy banned jogging weeks ago. I've been careful to jog circles in an empty parking lot. I think I'm going to have to pull back and limit it to stretches directly in front of my house, just going back and forth. I live in a wooded suburban area and my street doesn't have many people, but it's a tight street, so if someone's coming the other way, they will be fairly close to you. My way around this will be to jog at 6 AM or 11 PM.

Thread Information