Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "I'm a Social Scientist"

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post

To clarify, when Trump said “what do you have to lose?”, he’s not talking about healthy people wanting to suppress the coronavirus. He’s talking about people on their deathbed. If they are on their way to death, then what do they have to lose by trying it? He’s just making it available; he’s not saying they have to use it. He said he would use it, if he was in that shape. I probably would too.

I mean if you’re going to die anyway, “what do you have to lose?” I think that’s a pretty good way of stating it.

That’s what you got to like about Trump. He says things that make commonsense, and the common folks understand. I get the elite liberal intellect crowd, which includes the mainstream media, have a hard time comprehending this.

I really like all Trump’s press conferences where he takes on the media and makes them look like idiots.

Bob21, I'm going to take issue with your clarification above. It's true that I personally interpreted what the president said the same way you did. Now I'll go back and check this again, but I listened to him saying this in two different presentations, and he does not make it clear that he's talking about "if you're in bad shape" or "if you look as if you're gonna die." He just does not say that. He says "What have you got to lose?" without qualifying remarks, which is a very dangerous thing to do. He also doesn't say anything like, "If you're healthy, don't take this prophylactically." He doesn't qualify what he's saying at all.

I thought it was very curious. He avoids explicitly stating "If you look as if you'll die," or "If you're on the ropes, you might consider this." The problems with not spelling that out are (1) literally a third to half of the country may become infected in the next year, so it's important to spell out "If you're in real bad shape," so the majority of people with minimal symptoms don't think they should be taking it, (2) if you don't spell it out, this is a drug that can be taken prophylactically, again this would be a problem, and (3) when he says "what have you got to lose?" it could be interpreted as "if you get this with symptoms, you're pretty much toast, so consider these drugs." But that is not the case.

I understand why he avoids explicitly saying, "If you are on track to die." It's a painful and not politically expedient thing to say. But he really needs to be explicit.

I tend to think that not much the president says in speeches is terribly accidental. I think that the avoidance of being explicit is in all likelihood very purposeful, especially since I think he used the same construction at least twice.

Now you and I interpreted it in the correct way. But really, if you go back and listen to what he said without our perspective, he's not being clear, and he needs to be, no matter that the words are painful.
    People cant just go take the drug. You need a prescription. Trump is not a doctor. So any doctor prescribing it as a propylactic is doing it on his own, not by Trumps advice. You really need to nitpick the rhetoric of the libtards as much as you do the conservatives.
    Mickey, I agree with everything you said, but I’d also like to add when Trump made these comments, he for sure meant taking this drug as a last resort. I listened to his comments live this Sunday.

Even the New York Times understood this is what Tump meant. This is quoting from their article: “”What do you have to lose?” Mr. Trump asked, for the second day in a row, saying that terminally ill patients should be willing to try any treatment that has shown some promise.”

In the press conference Trump made it known he is no expert on this. This is Trump’s direct quotes: “But what do I know?” “I’m not a doctor”

Trump went onto say: “If it does work, it would be a shame we did not do it earlier.”, which is a very logic statement.

As far as Trump not wanting Dr. Fauci to talk at this press conf, he said Fauci had already given his opinion 15 times so there’s no reason to go over it again. Trump knew this was just the press trying to play gotcha. Trump is smarter than the press. He’s about five moves ahead of them. He knows their motives have nothing to do with being objective.

And to be clear, Fauci has just said this drug needs to go through more clinical trials before it gets approved. He’s a very conservative doctor. He’s never said it doesn’t show promise with some patients.

Here’s what the liberals are missing (and the public gets) with what Trump is doing. Trump is trying to bring hope to America in trying times. That’s what leaders do! They don’t look at everything from the Darkside like liberals.

Conservatives are in general happy people and try to see the bright side of the situation and a way out of a crisis. Liberals see everything in terms of Armageddon and the worst case scenario. This is what Trump is having to deal with when he meets with the press.

As I said, the majority of the public gets it. That’s why Trump‘s approval rating continues to go up after every press conference. The public gets we’re in a tough times, but at some point we’ve got to get the economy back going, and we’ve got to get back to work.

In regard to treatments for coronavirus, we’ve got to take some chances by approving new drugs that might work without going through years of red tape. Again, doctors will still have to prescribe it. Doctors aren’t going to prescribe it if they think the risk isn’t worth it. Patient can’t take it without a prescription.

This is long enough. But every time I see what Trump is doing, I’ve become more impressed with him as our leader.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Bob21, I'm going to take issue with your clarification above. It's true that I personally interpreted what the president said the same way you did. Now I'll go back and check this again, but I listened to him saying this in two different presentations, and he does not make it clear that he's talking about "if you're in bad shape" or "if you look as if you're gonna die." He just does not say that. He says "What have you got to lose?" without qualifying remarks, which is a very dangerous thing to do. He also doesn't say anything like, "If you're healthy, don't take this prophylactically." He doesn't qualify what he's saying at all.

I thought it was very curious. He avoids explicitly stating "If you look as if you'll die," or "If you're on the ropes, you might consider this." The problems with not spelling that out are (1) literally a third to half of the country may become infected in the next year, so it's important to spell out "If you're in real bad shape," so the majority of people with minimal symptoms don't think they should be taking it, (2) if you don't spell it out, this is a drug that can be taken prophylactically, again this would be a problem, and (3) when he says "what have you got to lose?" it could be interpreted as "if you get this with symptoms, you're pretty much toast, so consider these drugs." But that is not the case.

I understand why he avoids explicitly saying, "If you are on track to die." It's a painful and not politically expedient thing to say. But he really needs to be explicit.

I tend to think that not much the president says in speeches is terribly accidental. I think that the avoidance of being explicit is in all likelihood very purposeful, especially since I think he used the same construction at least twice.

Now you and I interpreted it in the correct way. But really, if you go back and listen to what he said without our perspective, he's not being clear, and he needs to be, no matter that the words are painful.
    People cant just go take the drug. You need a prescription. Trump is not a doctor. So any doctor prescribing it as a propylactic is doing it on his own, not by Trumps advice. You really need to nitpick the rhetoric of the libtards as much as you do the conservatives.
    Mickey, I agree with everything you said, but I’d also like to add when Trump made these comments, he for sure meant taking this drug as a last resort. I listened to his comments live this Sunday.

Even the New York Times understood this is what Tump meant. This is quoting from their article: “”What do you have to lose?” Mr. Trump asked, for the second day in a row, saying that terminally ill patients should be willing to try any treatment that has shown some promise.”

In the press conference Trump made it known he is no expert on this. This is Trump’s direct quotes: “But what do I know?” “I’m not a doctor”

Trump went onto say: “If it does work, it would be a shame we did not do it earlier.”, which is a very logic statement.

As far as Trump not wanting Dr. Fauci to talk at this press conf, he said Fauci had already given his opinion 15 times so there’s no reason to go over it again. Trump knew this was just the press trying to play gotcha. Trump is smarter than the press. He’s about five moves ahead of them. He knows their motives have nothing to do with being objective.

And to be clear, Fauci has just said this drug needs to go through more clinical trials before it gets approved. He’s a very conservative doctor. He’s never said it doesn’t show promise with some patients.

Here’s what the liberals are missing (and the public gets) with what Trump is doing. Trump is trying to bring hope to America in trying times. That’s what leaders do! They don’t look at everything from the Darkside like liberals.

Conservatives are in general happy people and try to see the bright side of the situation and a way out of a crisis. Liberals see everything in terms of Armageddon and the worst case scenario. This is what Trump is having to deal with when he meets with the press.

As I said, the majority of the public gets it. That’s why Trump‘s approval rating continues to go up after every press conference. The public gets we’re in a tough times, but at some point we’ve got to get the economy back going, and we’ve got to get back to work.

In regard to treatments for coronavirus, we’ve got to take some chances by approving new drugs that might work without going through years of red tape. Again, doctors will still have to prescribe it. Doctors aren’t going to prescribe it if they think the risk isn’t worth it. Patient can’t take it without a prescription.

This is long enough. But every time I see what Trump is doing, I’ve become more impressed with him as our leader.
    For over three years the media has been out to destroy Trump. Every day is filled with anti-Trump rhetoric. For 8 years Obama got the kid gloves treatment. The press treated him like a God. But Obama's poll numbers were no better than Trump's are today. Imagine Trump getting the kind of press that Obama got. His poll numbers would be through the roof.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

For over three years the media has been out to destroy Trump. Every day is filled with anti-Trump rhetoric. For 8 years Obama got the kid gloves treatment. The press treated him like a God. But Obama's poll numbers were no better than Trump's are today. Imagine Trump getting the kind of press that Obama got. His poll numbers would be through the roof.
    Obama got the kid glove treatment because people knew they would get called "RACIST" if they questioned the Obama convoluted logic.

All this anti-Trump libtard misguided hate and rhetoric will lead to two things: he'll easily get re-elected, and after he finally leaves office he'll be known as our greatest president in history after just ten years. Record-setting time.....further irritating the hell out of liberals, queers, atheists, and hippies everywhere.

God bless America!

Thread Information