Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Addicted Gamblers

  1. #1
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    Last edited by AndrewG; 04-14-2020 at 02:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    kewlJ really pegged you when he called you Alan Mendelson.
    If you aren't Alan, you must be related in some way.

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    The truth is some AP's are gambling addicts.
    DOJ needs to introduce ANTIFA to RICO

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    kewlJ really pegged you when he called you Alan Mendelson.
    If you aren't Alan, you must be related in some way.
    I haven't been posting here for that long so there is a lot I don't understand about the dynamics of this forum. But it is clear to me that some kind of battle is going on among anonymous people who really have nothing to win and nothing to lose because they are anonymous, yet debate as if their lives depend on the outcome of every discussion?

    With that said, Mr Monet, I hope you find work soon and I'm happy that you were able to claim your unemployment benefits.

    I'm sorry that there is such hostility here but since you don't know who I am and what I say here has no impact on my life, I could care less what is said.

    I do wish Mr Kewlj well and I hope his illness is brief and I hope he's able to secure his unemployment. This shutdown is a disaster.

    And to Mr Mdawg why do you bother? Especially since you're anonymous? What have you got to win or lose here? Nothing, it seems.

    Getting back to Mr Kewlj, he appears to be the only real person here. The rest of you are living in a fantasy.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    The truth is some AP's are gambling addicts.
    Addict because it's their full time job or addict because it's the only thing they are motivated to do?

    I've had a full time job of one sort or another. Does that mean I was addicted to General Electric or Ford or the New York Police Department or the New York Department of Labor (or any employer)?

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    The truth is some AP's are gambling addicts.
    Addict because it's their full time job or addict because it's the only thing they are motivated to do?

    I've had a full time job of one sort or another. Does that mean I was addicted to General Electric or Ford or the New York Police Department or the New York Department of Labor (or any employer)?
    Some advantage players are also disadvantage players. They can't keep their asses out of action when there are no advantage plays to be had. I think those of us who have lived in this world have seen it many times. You always hit dry spells on advantage plays. So some guys just have to be in action even if its a negative game.

    Can you hang out in a casino all day and not gamble if there are no advantage plays to be had? I can. I'm not even tempted to throw my money at a sucker game. But some AP's can't handle that.
    DOJ needs to introduce ANTIFA to RICO

  7. #7
    I'm addicted to AP'ing.

  8. #8
    An anthropologist might say that there are solid reasons to lose money in casinos, especially if you are wealthy. For example, if you're having trouble getting laid, somewhere where you can flaunt your disposable income without wearing a sign saying "I am flaunting my disposable income" might be helpful. Casinos fit the bill. The bottom line from a biological perspective is (sort of but not exactly) getting laid, so that would be one reason to be a "ploppy." Or maybe you need to impress your compadres with your James Bond style of entertainment, or bond with other one-percenters somewhere other than a golf course, and losing bucks in casinos accomplishes that. Another possibility -- dumping some bucks might be a way to take a mental break from whatever you're doing so as to come back refreshed.

    Of course, since most forms of gambling are addictive, doing any of these things entails risk. You start out taking a mental break and wind up like Bill Bennett, morality czar and Fox News expert.

    Basically, it comes down to this. All resources are not material. So if you can win non-material resources (Bond suaveness, respect from business partners, high public profile, getting laid, etc.) while losing material resources (your cash), the tradeoff could conceivably work in your favor. In my opinion, there are easier ways to acquire non-material resources than dumping cash to casinos, but for some people it may be the best option. Chubby old dudes, for example, may not be all that impressive in 3K suits, so rather than investing in hot clothes, perhaps taking their dates or business partners to casinos is a better idea.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    An anthropologist might say that there are solid reasons to lose money in casinos, especially if you are wealthy. For example, if you're having trouble getting laid, somewhere where you can flaunt your disposable income without wearing a sign saying "I am flaunting my disposable income" might be helpful. Casinos fit the bill. The bottom line from a biological perspective is (sort of but not exactly) getting laid, so that would be one reason to be a "ploppy." Or maybe you need to impress your compadres with your James Bond style of entertainment, or bond with other one-percenters somewhere other than a golf course, and losing bucks in casinos accomplishes that. Another possibility -- dumping some bucks might be a way to take a mental break from whatever you're doing so as to come back refreshed.

    Of course, since most forms of gambling are addictive, doing any of these things entails risk. You start out taking a mental break and wind up like Bill Bennett, morality czar and Fox News expert.

    Basically, it comes down to this. All resources are not material. So if you can win non-material resources (Bond suaveness, respect from business partners, high public profile, getting laid, etc.) while losing material resources (your cash), the tradeoff could conceivably work in your favor. In my opinion, there are easier ways to acquire non-material resources than dumping cash to casinos, but for some people it may be the best option. Chubby old dudes, for example, may not be all that impressive in 3K suits, so rather than investing in hot clothes, perhaps taking their dates or business partners to casinos is a better idea.
    Weird. Just plain weird.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    It appears to me that on this forum you are either an AP or a ploppie addict. Why?
    kewlJ really pegged you when he called you Alan Mendelson.
    If you aren't Alan, you must be related in some way.
    It's Alan, no doubt and of course. But what's the difference if he gets under kew's skin?

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    An anthropologist might say that there are solid reasons to lose money in casinos, especially if you are wealthy. For example, if you're having trouble getting laid, somewhere where you can flaunt your disposable income without wearing a sign saying "I am flaunting my disposable income" might be helpful. Casinos fit the bill. The bottom line from a biological perspective is (sort of but not exactly) getting laid, so that would be one reason to be a "ploppy." Or maybe you need to impress your compadres with your James Bond style of entertainment, or bond with other one-percenters somewhere other than a golf course, and losing bucks in casinos accomplishes that. Another possibility -- dumping some bucks might be a way to take a mental break from whatever you're doing so as to come back refreshed.

    Of course, since most forms of gambling are addictive, doing any of these things entails risk. You start out taking a mental break and wind up like Bill Bennett, morality czar and Fox News expert.

    Basically, it comes down to this. All resources are not material. So if you can win non-material resources (Bond suaveness, respect from business partners, high public profile, getting laid, etc.) while losing material resources (your cash), the tradeoff could conceivably work in your favor. In my opinion, there are easier ways to acquire non-material resources than dumping cash to casinos, but for some people it may be the best option. Chubby old dudes, for example, may not be all that impressive in 3K suits, so rather than investing in hot clothes, perhaps taking their dates or business partners to casinos is a better idea.
    Take the money to Moonlight Bunny Ranch. You are guaranteed to get laid.
    DOJ needs to introduce ANTIFA to RICO

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    An anthropologist might say that there are solid reasons to lose money in casinos, especially if you are wealthy. For example, if you're having trouble getting laid, somewhere where you can flaunt your disposable income without wearing a sign saying "I am flaunting my disposable income" might be helpful. Casinos fit the bill. The bottom line from a biological perspective is (sort of but not exactly) getting laid, so that would be one reason to be a "ploppy." Or maybe you need to impress your compadres with your James Bond style of entertainment, or bond with other one-percenters somewhere other than a golf course, and losing bucks in casinos accomplishes that. Another possibility -- dumping some bucks might be a way to take a mental break from whatever you're doing so as to come back refreshed.

    Of course, since most forms of gambling are addictive, doing any of these things entails risk. You start out taking a mental break and wind up like Bill Bennett, morality czar and Fox News expert.

    Basically, it comes down to this. All resources are not material. So if you can win non-material resources (Bond suaveness, respect from business partners, high public profile, getting laid, etc.) while losing material resources (your cash), the tradeoff could conceivably work in your favor. In my opinion, there are easier ways to acquire non-material resources than dumping cash to casinos, but for some people it may be the best option. Chubby old dudes, for example, may not be all that impressive in 3K suits, so rather than investing in hot clothes, perhaps taking their dates or business partners to casinos is a better idea.

    Redietz, I would contend that none of the reasons you've given is why most people gamble, especially people with money. They gamble for ENTERTAINMENT! They gamble because they enjoy it! It's pretty much that simple. And for a wealth person to get a high off gambling, they have to bet more, it's that simple!

    This is the part most APs struggle to understand. How could someone who is smart and wealth really enjoy gambling in negative EV games? This just doesn't compute in their world, so they've come up with elaborate explanations to help themselves rationalize it. They think these people most be fat old guys trying to impress girls, maybe they want to be James Bond, maybe they are an addict, etc? Since an AP doesn't go to casinos for entertainment, they can't imagine someone else doing it as a form of entertainment. (I'm not speaking about all APs, because I have met some that understand there are people who gamble for entertainment.)

    There are many wealthy people who enjoy gambling for no other reason then because they find it entertaining. Michael Jordan was a pretty good basketball player in his day, he owns an NBA team and is a Billionaire and he still enjoys playing blackjack. Why? Because he enjoys it. I know a dealer who used to work at the Hard Rock casino in Tampa, and Michael Jordan would come there occasionally to play blackjack. He would get a private room for obvious reasons. Do you think he was there to pretend he was James Bond, or to impress women? Have you ever seen his wife? MJ doesn't need to go to casinos to get attractive women to notice him. No, MJ was there because he enjoys playing blackjack, just like many of my friends, who are not APs.

    Kerry Packer, who was once the wealthiest person in Australia, passed away about 15 years ago, but he loved to gamble in casinos while he was alive. When someone from the opposing labor party called him out for his gambling habit and called his loses "morally offensive", Packer replied back "This is not someone else's money. This is my money. I am entitled to spend it in any way."

    A great article that I believe best sums up why wealthy people, like Kerry Packer, go to casinos to gamble in negative EV games is in the attached article from Cigar Aficionado.

    https://www.cigaraficionado.com/arti...t-gambler-8722

  13. #13
    Didn't Kerry Packer own casinos?

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Didn't Kerry Packer own casinos?
    No. I'm not going to say I'm a total expert on Kerry Packer, but I've read many articles about him. He was a media tycoon. Attached is what wikipedia says about him:
    ,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Packer

    At my local casino, we had an older wealth gentleman that reminded my of Kerry Packer. This guy occasionally came to my local casino and played blackjack and he always requested a solo $100 min table. Since my area is poor, the majority of the tables are $5 and $10, so this is unusual. I never once saw him hit on any women or act like he was James Bond. My local casinos don't have high limit rooms, so he had to play where people could watch him. I could tell he didn't like people standing around his table, so most locals stayed away from his table, including me.

    In the past couple months, I noticed he wasn't there so I asked a pit boss what happened to him. She told me he had passed away from cancer. I didn't know he was terminally sick so that surprised me. She told me he had been battling cancer for several years. Blackjack was an outlet for him; it was his way for passing time. I learned he was married, but he never brought his wife to the casino with him.

    This guy would have undermined everything redietz believes about big time gamblers. This wealthy guy had no other motivation for being at that casino other than he enjoyed playing blackjack as entertainment. Even before he got cancer, the pit bosses told me he routinely played blackjack there, and he always played by himself at $100 min table.

    When he was alive, I talked to him a couple times, and he was nothing but respectful to me, and other patrons of all races and the casino staff. And yes, he was a big tipper. The dealers all liked him, and always wanted his table.

    I personally think he's in a better place today. I don't know if he was a Christian, but he lived a life that indicated he was. Even though he was wealthy, he treated everybody with respect. I never heard one patron or casino employee say one bad word about him. He didn't flout his money, but he liked to play high stakes. Some dealers told me he'd bet up to $1,000/hand when he thought he was on a streak. When he won, he tipped...and when he lost, he tipped. Yes, he was a big tipper!

    Anyway, I know Kj and many APs think it's impossible for someone to enjoy gambling in casinos without having an advantage, but I've seen it first hand many times.

    Yes, there are many people that enjoy casinos and they are there because they see it as a form of entertainment. They are NOT there because they are degenerates or problem gamblers.
    Last edited by Bob21; 04-14-2020 at 07:02 PM.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    Anyway, I know Kj and many APs think it's impossible for someone to enjoy gambling in casinos without having an advantage, but I've seen it first hand many times.

    Yes, there are many people that enjoy casinos and they are there because they see it as a form of entertainment. They are NOT there because they are degenerates or problem gamblers.
    You know you are dishonest Bob21, you really are! It is becoming harder and harder to even bother to respond to you.

    I never said anything remotely like that it is impossible for someone to enjoy gambling without playing with an advantage. Of course many, many people gamble responsibly, playing at a disadvantage for entertainment purposes. Even I do! During football season, and college basketball, especially march, which we were denied this year, I bet a handful of games every weekend. Sometimes teams that I have rooting interest in, like the Eagles or Villanova basketball, and sometimes just the games that are going to be on TV so that I do have an interest in. lol.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible gambling for entertainment value. Hell as a professional AP, we need the gambling public to make their deposits.

    AND there is nothing predatory about that business model IF they had stopped there. And some casino's do, but some engage in the predatory practices that I discussed earlier. When casinos started cashing checks for senior citizens on social security decades ago, and paychecks so working fathers spend their money before they get home to put food on the table, they crossed from that responsible gambling entertainment model into "preditory" zone.

    And I will tell you something else that is predatory behavior and that is the practice of free drinks. Why do casinos provide patrons with free drinks? Is it just to be nice and enhance players entertainment enjoyment? Or it is because they know that players will lose control and gamble more than they intended to, more than they can afford? That is the definition of a predatory business model. You don't see restaurants offering free drinks to enhance your dining experience do you?

    I think I put you on ignore a while back when you first joined and somewhere along the line, I decided to give you a second chance, but between every freaking thing out of your mouth being a political attack on someone and constantly trying to divide people by politics and now you frequent twisting and manipulation of things said, very similar to how Alan used to do, I am real close to be done with you for good.

    Do you know what bigotry is? Bigotry is the hatred of people who are different that you, usually based on race, sex, religion or sexual orientation. But it can just as well be based on politics. To demonize people that may not look like you, or prey the same way, or love another person the same way, or share your view on politics is a reflection of how small you are.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    Anyway, I know Kj and many APs think it's impossible for someone to enjoy gambling in casinos without having an advantage, but I've seen it first hand many times.

    Yes, there are many people that enjoy casinos and they are there because they see it as a form of entertainment. They are NOT there because they are degenerates or problem gamblers.
    You know you are dishonest Bob21, you really are! It is becoming harder and harder to even bother to respond to you.

    I never said anything remotely like that it is impossible for someone to enjoy gambling without playing with an advantage. Of course many, many people gamble responsibly, playing at a disadvantage for entertainment purposes. Even I do! During football season, and college basketball, especially march, which we were denied this year, I bet a handful of games every weekend. Sometimes teams that I have rooting interest in, like the Eagles or Villanova basketball, and sometimes just the games that are going to be on TV so that I do have an interest in. lol.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible gambling for entertainment value. Hell as a professional AP, we need the gambling public to make their deposits.

    AND there is nothing predatory about that business model IF they had stopped there. And some casino's do, but some engage in the predatory practices that I discussed earlier. When casinos started cashing checks for senior citizens on social security decades ago, and paychecks so working fathers spend their money before they get home to put food on the table, they crossed from that responsible gambling entertainment model into "preditory" zone.

    And I will tell you something else that is predatory behavior and that is the practice of free drinks. Why do casinos provide patrons with free drinks? Is it just to be nice and enhance players entertainment enjoyment? Or it is because they know that players will lose control and gamble more than they intended to, more than they can afford? That is the definition of a predatory business model. You don't see restaurants offering free drinks to enhance your dining experience do you?

    I think I put you on ignore a while back when you first joined and somewhere along the line, I decided to give you a second chance, but between every freaking thing out of your mouth being a political attack on someone and constantly trying to divide people by politics and now you frequent twisting and manipulation of things said, very similar to how Alan used to do, I am real close to be done with you for good.

    Do you know what bigotry is? Bigotry is the hatred of people who are different that you, usually based on race, sex, religion or sexual orientation. But it can just as well be based on politics. To demonize people that may not look like you, or prey the same way, or love another person the same way, or share your view on politics is a reflection of how small you are.
    Okay, where do I start? I just reread Dan's rules and there is NO rule against not responding to me, so if you don't want to respond to me, then don't! And guess what there is NO rule against putting someone on ignore, so if you feel like you need to do that, then go ahead and put me on ignore. I just want to make sure you understand that if you do that you won't get banned...that is, unless the rules change.

    And guess what, if you don't respond to me, or if you decide to ignore me, it will have NO effect on my life...like I'm talking ZERO effect! So if I was you, I'd do that, since I can see you can't handle reading opinions that don't agree with yours. That's not surprising since you're a liberal and as we all know liberals, in general, struggle with people who think differently then they do.

    I've mentioned this before. If you really believe all these casinos are engaging in these so called "predatory" practices, why don't you do something to stop it? If you are allowing it, and still playing at these casinos, doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

    As for me, I see the casinos as providing a service by cashing checks for people and serving free drinks. Why make someone waste time and gas money driving to a bank to cash his check, if his motivation is to gamble it away anyway? With problem gamblers, do you really believe it matters where they cash their checks? Come on Kj, you've got to be smarter than that. If they are going to gamble their check away, they will do that if they cash their checks at a bank in town or at the casino. At least by cashing it at the casino, they've saved some gas money.

    Yes, I believe problem gamblers should STOP gambling. The problem is how to do this in a free society. Regardless of what you think, this problem isn't the casino's responsibility. It's the individual's responsibility. I know that's a hard concept for you to understand, being a liberal.

    The only real solution to this problem is to outlaw casinos. Why? Because in a free society everyone has to be allowed to go into a casino, and, yes, this means some degenerates, some problem gamblers, will be there. As much as you want to blame the casinos, this is NOT the casino's fault. Just like problem drinkers are not the fault of beer and liquor companies.

    And why do APs make such a big deal about casinos offering free drinks? I've noticed this is a key bug-a-boo with APs. They think somehow because casinos offer free drinks this is wrong. So you're saying if they made us pay for drinks, then they wouldn't be "predatory"? Please explain this logic to me?

    Can I ask you this? Who made these rules on what is considered "predatory"? Is this in some AP code of conduct book? And did you graduate from Blackjack Apprenticeship? Because you sound exactly like them. They make almost the same arguments against casinos as you do. Like you, they think casinos are awful places, preying on the vulnerable and weak, yet they doing nothing to stop it. They are hypocrites, just like you!

    I'm starting to see being a hypocrite and an AP goes hand-in-hand. (btw, I don't see all APs with these views, so I shouldn't call all APs hypocrites). But Kj, you are definitely a hypocrite! There is no debating that point!

    Hopefully, I said enough for you to put me on ignore or at least get you to stop responding to me, or at least get you to STOP saying stupid things!

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    Anyway, I know Kj and many APs think it's impossible for someone to enjoy gambling in casinos without having an advantage, but I've seen it first hand many times.

    Yes, there are many people that enjoy casinos and they are there because they see it as a form of entertainment. They are NOT there because they are degenerates or problem gamblers.
    You know you are dishonest Bob21, you really are! It is becoming harder and harder to even bother to respond to you.

    I never said anything remotely like that it is impossible for someone to enjoy gambling without playing with an advantage. Of course many, many people gamble responsibly, playing at a disadvantage for entertainment purposes. Even I do! During football season, and college basketball, especially march, which we were denied this year, I bet a handful of games every weekend. Sometimes teams that I have rooting interest in, like the Eagles or Villanova basketball, and sometimes just the games that are going to be on TV so that I do have an interest in. lol.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible gambling for entertainment value. Hell as a professional AP, we need the gambling public to make their deposits.

    AND there is nothing predatory about that business model IF they had stopped there. And some casino's do, but some engage in the predatory practices that I discussed earlier. When casinos started cashing checks for senior citizens on social security decades ago, and paychecks so working fathers spend their money before they get home to put food on the table, they crossed from that responsible gambling entertainment model into "preditory" zone.

    And I will tell you something else that is predatory behavior and that is the practice of free drinks. Why do casinos provide patrons with free drinks? Is it just to be nice and enhance players entertainment enjoyment? Or it is because they know that players will lose control and gamble more than they intended to, more than they can afford? That is the definition of a predatory business model. You don't see restaurants offering free drinks to enhance your dining experience do you?

    I think I put you on ignore a while back when you first joined and somewhere along the line, I decided to give you a second chance, but between every freaking thing out of your mouth being a political attack on someone and constantly trying to divide people by politics and now you frequent twisting and manipulation of things said, very similar to how Alan used to do, I am real close to be done with you for good.

    Do you know what bigotry is? Bigotry is the hatred of people who are different that you, usually based on race, sex, religion or sexual orientation. But it can just as well be based on politics. To demonize people that may not look like you, or prey the same way, or love another person the same way, or share your view on politics is a reflection of how small you are.
    I'd like to point out a simple observation from the above post kew....one which you continually proclaim you don't do and how it's always "the other guy".

    If you look closely, someone disagees with your point of view. But as usual 100% of the time, you aren't having it and instead, go thru hoops to try and convince others how wrong HE is. Yes, 100%.

    Such steadfast hard-headedness is your M.O. here and it's probably the same at all the other forums you need to opine at.

    You're still young enuf to learn from others. A good idea would be to heed the word.

  18. #18
    Bob21 you should read the Wikipedia profile more carefully. This paragraph for instance:

    "The Packer media empire included magazines, television networks, telecommunications, petrochemicals, heavy engineering, a 75% stake in the Perisher Blue ski resort, diamond exploration, coal mines and property, a share in the Foxtel cable TV network, and investments in the lucrative casino business in Australia and overseas."

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Bob21 you should read the Wikipedia profile more carefully. This paragraph for instance:

    "The Packer media empire included magazines, television networks, telecommunications, petrochemicals, heavy engineering, a 75% stake in the Perisher Blue ski resort, diamond exploration, coal mines and property, a share in the Foxtel cable TV network, and investments in the lucrative casino business in Australia and overseas."
    Point taken. Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like he owned a little of everything. I guess that’s why he was considered a tycoon. But it appears he really liked Vegas and I don’t think he owned any in Vegas

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Didn't Kerry Packer own casinos?
    You might be thinking of James Packer (Crown Casinos).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stimulus for pro gamblers
    By AndrewG in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-31-2020, 04:50 PM
  2. Gamblers' Ages
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 10:01 AM
  3. RobSinger "Alan's an addicted gambler"
    By LoneStarHorse in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2016, 06:23 PM
  4. Gamblers' license plates
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 04:47 PM
  5. Gamblers' Manners
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •