Thread: Pick 6 Tragedy

Someone forwarded to me a situation that occurred to an Oklahoma bettor. I think it is from Wizard's forum.

For those that don't follow horse racing, we have a type of wager, usually called a jackpot wager, where you have to have the only winning ticket to get the pool. Usually these wagers are in the Pick 6. There are usually consolations for hitting 6 of 6 but not having the sole winning ticket.

This guy in Oklahoma had the first 5 winners in, and was live with every horse in the last race. There was a dead heat in the last race, but he still had the only ticket with all 6 winners. Oklahoma ruled that this was not a unique single winner because of the dead heat, and paid him only the consolation. Oklahoma appears to have no specific rule or regulation on this, although I will be researching that. But Florida, new York, and California all have rules on this and would have treated him as having the sole winning ticket for the jackpot.

Usually each state copies the rules from states that previously implemented a new wager such as the jackpot wager. Oklahoma screwed up by not having adopted a rule, one way or the other, and I think will be forced to pay.

Tough beat if not.

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    Someone forwarded to me a situation that occurred to an Oklahoma bettor. I think it is from Wizard's forum.

For those that don't follow horse racing, we have a type of wager, usually called a jackpot wager, where you have to have the only winning ticket to get the pool. Usually these wagers are in the Pick 6. There are usually consolations for hitting 6 of 6 but not having the sole winning ticket.

This guy in Oklahoma had the first 5 winners in, and was live with every horse in the last race. There was a dead heat in the last race, but he still had the only ticket with all 6 winners. Oklahoma ruled that this was not a unique single winner because of the dead heat, and paid him only the consolation. Oklahoma appears to have no specific rule or regulation on this, although I will be researching that. But Florida, new York, and California all have rules on this and would have treated him as having the sole winning ticket for the jackpot.

Usually each state copies the rules from states that previously implemented a new wager such as the jackpot wager. Oklahoma screwed up by not having adopted a rule, one way or the other, and I think will be forced to pay.

Tough beat if not.

My girlfriend told me about this. She rolled her eyes. With horse racing struggling as it is in this country, how can you try to high-profile screw a guy who won this? Plus, the Oklahoma version would discourage people from playing more than one ticket, which is really dumbass.

I wish the guy would hire me to represent him. Here is the rule right from the Oklahoma racing commission rules:

(c) If there is a dead heat for first in any of the
    Pick (n) contests involving:
    (1) contestants representing the same
    betting interest, the Pick (n) pool shall be
    distributed as if no dead heat occurred.
    (2) contestants representing two or more
    betting interests, the Pick (n) pool shall be
    distributed as a single price pool with each
    winning wager receiving an equal share of the
    profit.

The guy flat out got screwed. I'm sure no one even knew what the rules are.

Thread Information