Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack the Forum getting political

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Originally Posted by LMR View Post

Fucking stupid novices.

You have to change your mind at least a million times to really begin to get somewhere.

Hehehe. Or is it, heyheyhey? Ha.
    Yes, what a novice Einstein was since he only changed his mind once on the concept of entanglement. I guess he just wasn't thinking deeply enough about it. You must find it odd then that most people think that Einstein made some of the greatest contributions to physics (and science) in the history of mankind.
    Sorry to disappointment you, concerning Mr Stein. But, he changed his mind, notably, on more than just the one occasion listed, nay, quoted, above.

Who's to say? After it's all said and done, well, maybe, supposedly, Mr Stein was really just another stein. Not even a Klein bottle.

Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    Bob, I’m sorry I overlooked in my last reply where you said I’m probably actually a hard core liberal.

So sorry I got you so upset. To go from a liberal to a hardcore liberal without out having stated a single liberal position must mean you are very fired up. I should let you get back to whatever it is you do when you are not looking for liberals.

Im afraid to find out what comes after hard core liberal. Mega King Kong hard core liberal?

This is an alt-right site. Seriously ask some of the folks what policy change would force them to withdraw Trump support and wait for the responses. Before the Kemp disavowal briefing, they would have been all for Georgia opening up. After the briefing, not so much. That tells you how they make policy. They follow-the-leader.

What I get a kick out of is that I was on board with about half of Trump's broad policy themes before the COVID-19 hit. I'm an advocate of Australian type immigration laws, I'm anti political correctness, I'm in agreement that NATO, WHO, and UN funding could be reduced, and so on.

When these folks put me in the Trump-orientation grading machine, however, I come out as libtard lefty and so on. Hey, I'm left of Karl Marx on many things, but I don't fit the "liberal checklist" these idjits try to employ.

It's an alt-right site. The views are simplistic and extreme. And most of the alt-righters trust their own judgement over scientific consensus. The sheer hubris is comical.
    Last edited by redietz; 04-27-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Einstein thought that spooky action at a distance (entangled particles) was impossible and Bohr thought that this wasn't the case (1920s). Ironically, it was through Einstein's quantum mechanical formulations that the concept of entanglement first manifested itself (it was only later that Einstein came up with hidden variables/locality to explain spooky action at a distance/non-locality; he was in Bohr's camp originally). Years later (1964), John Bell proved that entanglement was possible/happening through his famous thought experiment (Bell's Inequality) and this was later confirmed experimentally many times over, so Bohr was right.

Apart from this, Einstein's contributions hold up extremely well, and, ironically, as stated above, he was the one that came up with non-locality in the first place, and it was only later that he changed his mind about it (who wouldn't change their mind, it's the most fucking bizarre thing imaginable - like magic really;kudos to Bohr and Bell for sticking to their guns).

Best, TP
    Agreed, My favorite quote from that is when Einstein said “God does not play dice” He just couldn’t get over the randomness. It is amazing though that every few years even this long after his death you still occasionally hear about a new observation that confirms one of his predictions.

Fucking stupid novices.

You have to change your mind at least a million times to really begin to get somewhere.

Hehehe. Or is it, heyheyhey? Ha.
    Yes, what a novice Einstein was since he only changed his mind once on the concept of entanglement. I guess he just wasn't thinking deeply enough about it. You must find it odd then that most people think that Einstein made some of the greatest contributions to physics (and science) in the history of mankind.
    Sorry to disappointment you, concerning Mr Stein. But, he changed his mind, notably, on more than just the one occasion listed, nay, quoted, above.

Who's to say? After it's all said and done, well, maybe, supposedly, Mr Stein was really just another stein. Not even a Klein bottle.
    I was speaking specifically about him changing his mind on entanglement. I never wrote anything about him changing his mind or not on any other topic. You can re-read what I wrote above if you don't don't believe me. Anyway you are more than welcome to think Einstein wasn't one of the greatest scientists of all time.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

This is an alt-right site. Seriously ask some of the folks what policy change would force them to withdraw Trump support and wait for the responses. Before the Kemp disavowal briefing, they would have been all for Georgia opening up. After the briefing, not so much. That tells you how they make policy. They follow-the-leader.

What I get a kick out of is that I was on board with about half of Trump's broad policy themes before the COVID-19 hit. I'm an advocate of Australian type immigration laws, I'm anti political correctness, I'm in agreement that NATO, WHO, and UN funding could be reduced, and so on.

When these folks put me in the Trump-orientation grading machine, however, I come out as libtard lefty and so on. Hey, I'm left of Karl Marx on many things, but I don't fit the "liberal checklist" these idjits try to employ.

It's an alt-right site. The views are simplistic and extreme. And most of the alt-righters trust their own judgement over scientific consensus. The sheer hubris of is comical.
    Not sure what you are so upset about?
    I understand you are pissed off about the comment made by Singer.
    However, your Liberal side is constantly gaining ground and winning in the struggle between the two sides.
    Eventually, I believe, the Liberals will take over the House, Senate and the White House.
    Mostly due to indoctrinating the Youth of America.
    The only thing the Liberals haven't taken away from Americans are their Guns and their right to buy Guns.
    Although they have certainly made it more and more difficult compared to years past.

The point is, you will have your Liberally Government Controlled America soon enough, so you should be celebrating instead of being so pissed off.
    The only problem is once your side does garner complete control you will have a Civil War on your hands and have to kill many Right, Alt Right and Far Right Americans.
    I am sure you just lump all Conservatives into Alt Right or Far Right.
    Shouldn't be too hard as long as you have the Military on your side.

Einstein thought that spooky action at a distance (entangled particles) was impossible and Bohr thought that this wasn't the case (1920s). Ironically, it was through Einstein's quantum mechanical formulations that the concept of entanglement first manifested itself (it was only later that Einstein came up with hidden variables/locality to explain spooky action at a distance/non-locality; he was in Bohr's camp originally). Years later (1964), John Bell proved that entanglement was possible/happening through his famous thought experiment (Bell's Inequality) and this was later confirmed experimentally many times over, so Bohr was right.

Apart from this, Einstein's contributions hold up extremely well, and, ironically, as stated above, he was the one that came up with non-locality in the first place, and it was only later that he changed his mind about it (who wouldn't change their mind, it's the most fucking bizarre thing imaginable - like magic really;kudos to Bohr and Bell for sticking to their guns).

Best, TP
    Agreed, My favorite quote from that is when Einstein said “God does not play dice” He just couldn’t get over the randomness. It is amazing though that every few years even this long after his death you still occasionally hear about a new observation that confirms one of his predictions.
    That's right Ben. It was not long ago that gravitational waves (from his General Theory of Relativity) were proven to exist.

I was speaking specifically about him changing his mind on entanglement. I never wrote anything about him changing his mind or not on any other topic. You can re-read what I wrote above if you don't don't believe me. Anyway you are more than welcome to think Einstein wasn't one of the greatest scientists of all time.
    I wasn't writing anything about what you specifically wrote, or meant. Just tried to make the overall point, regardless what you were going on about. Because it's often very hard to tell.

Originally Posted by monet View Post

It's an alt-right site. The views are simplistic and extreme. And most of the alt-righters trust their own judgement over scientific consensus. The sheer hubris of is comical.
    However, your Liberal side is constantly gaining ground and winning in the struggle between the two sides.
    Eventually, I believe, the Liberals will take over the House, Senate and the White House.
    The only thing the Liberals haven't taken away from Americans are their Guns and their right to buy Guns.
    Although they have certainly made it more and more difficult compared to years past.

The point is, you will have your Liberally Government Controlled America soon enough, so you should be celebrating instead of being so pissed off.
    The only problem is once your side does garner complete control you will have a Civil War on your hands and have to kill many Right, Alt Right and Far Right Americans.
    Yeah, less than 20 years ago I was just a conservative. Now believing the same things I'm considered an alt-right thug worthy of being silenced or worse.

And red, as far as the "Kemp disavowal briefing", I'm all for Georgia opening up, if that's what they want. I didn't keep up with what trump said on the matter, but if I were a Georgian it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Monet, really, what frightens you? People ain't gonna believe in guns, God, and Manifest Destiny?

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post

Yeah, less than 20 years ago I was just a conservative. Now believing the same things I'm considered an alt-right thug worthy of being silenced or worse.

And red, as far as the "Kemp disavowal briefing", I'm all for Georgia opening up, if that's what they want. I didn't keep up with what trump said on the matter, but if I were a Georgian it wouldn't have mattered to me.
    I agree with the "if that's what they want." The decision should be a popular referendum put to a vote of all citizens, not a call by the governor or president or a consensus of business owners.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post

I agree with the "if that's what they want." The decision should be a popular referendum put to a vote of all citizens, not a call by the governor or president or a consensus of business owners.
    I agree, but unfortunately the "should be a popular referendum put to a vote of all citizens" never happens.

Beauty of the American system though, if demographics shift and Democrats start winning more and more elections then the NRA (and other conservative interests) will likely spend more money on Democratic candidates who check most of the others boxes but are pro-gun rights.

If folks remember just a few decades ago, the Democrats were the party of the Alt-Right, California was a red state and Texas was a blue state as late as the 70s.

Nothing ever really changes that much. Both parties put on their side-shows and fire people up and in the end the country goes in the direction of whoever the big boys with money behind the scenes wants it to go, which is for the most part status-quo.

Nothing ever really changes that much. Both parties put on their side-shows and fire people up and in the end the country goes in the direction of whoever the big boys with money behind the scenes wants it to go, which is for the most part status-quo.
    People are working themselves into chicken coops. The modern art of politics.

Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post
    If you want to make fun of me for being a creationist and believing in science and God that’s your call. I deal with it all the time when I give lectures on college campuses on creation.
    What model megaphone do you prefer?

I wasn't writing anything about what you specifically wrote, or meant. Just tried to make the overall point, regardless what you were going on about. Because it's often very hard to tell.
    Yes, it is much less clear than the mounds of numerological and new age gibberish you post.

Except that I never called it anything other than, "Mounds of numerological and new age gibberish."

That's the main difference between us, and, between Boob21, and me.

One of us is really fucked-up.

Except that I never called it anything other than, "Mounds of numerological and new age gibberish."

That's the main difference between us, and, between Boob21, and me.

One of us is really fucked-up.
    What happened to your magical bus sig ?

Someone deleted it, without warning.

Ha, I don't think I did it to myself, but, you never know. Might have hit a wrong key, or something.

Anyway, it was a bit of fun.

I know some people here at least scan Blackjack the Forum (BTF) from time to time. I put this in the sub-forum on Coronavirus, since I don't want to muck up the Vegas main forum, and this is, more or less, politics, which is pretty much what Coronavirus has become.

Has anybody been keeping up with BTF? Today it's become an all out political war, although I'm sure Norm and Don (Norm's sidekick) won't admit it. Today, you finally had a couple reasonable people taking on the established liberal position of coronavirus on BTF. These reasonable people have said that maybe there is a happy medium between total lock down (the liberal position, which is meant to destroy the economy and bring liberals to power) and partially opening things up (the conservative and reasonable position).

Norm and Don have come out guns-a-blazing attacking anybody that would think differently than they do, since obviously they're liberals. Liberals think they know everything, and want people to conform to their way of thinking.

Don (a true blackjack expert, but someone who doesn't have a clue when it comes to reality) said opening things up and letting people back into casinos would be like "leading lambs to slaughter". I thought this was an interesting phase by Don, since it showed what Don thinks of the masses. This is how liberals think! They see the "common Joe" as a "lamb" that needs to be protected by government.

Norm chimed in repeatedly calling out anybody who thought our society should open up. In that one thread, Norm has posted 6 times. He's never posted that many times when I was an active member over there.

In one post Norm said: "Please don't spread misinformation like this." when someone made a post that was 100% accurate. The good news is a regular actually came to this poster's defensive, pointing out his post was accurate. Apparently, Norm backed down, and didn't follow up. When I was over there, Norm would sensor my posts. This is one of the main reasons I quit posting on BTF. I got tired of Norm censoring any view that didn't agree with his liberal views.

What do I like about this site, Vegas Casino Talk? There is no pretense on what it is. It allows freedom of speech. I've never met Dan Druff, or Alan (who started this site), but I respect what they've done here. They've got an excellent gambling and AP site, but they also allow people to freely express their views unfiltered. There are not many places where someone can do that today. I have no idea what their politics are, and i don't care. But I respect they've allowed freedom of expression here.

Blackjack the Forum claims it doesn't want politics, but right now that's all it is. Norm, the moderator, and his sidekick, Don, attacks anybody who thinks differently they they do. Today, BTF is probably one of the most political sites around, but they don't even know it.

"When I was over there, Norm would sensor my posts."

Bob join the club. Today one of my post was deleated by Norm in the exact same thread that you are talking about. This is not new for me as this happens often to my posts over there on various subjects. Frustrating to say the least.

You never answered my question directly how could you tell I’m a liberal from a 2 sentence post?

Look I get it, To you liberal is an insult and you just like throwing it around every chance you get with no real idea of whether the person is actually a liberal or not and probably not even understanding what its supposed to be since as you said its very broad, just as the Republican party has its moderate wing, conservative wing, and far right.

If the Democratic party were outlawed tomorrow and every Democrat was killed, then the liberals in the country would be the moderate wing of the Republican party. In other words, the word liberal as you frequently use it here is meaningless which is my whole point. If you take the most conservative Democrats and compare them to the most moderate Republicans, they are going to be very similar.

All we do is get bombarded by the news all day with these labels for each side and no real ideas or information being exchanged, just name calling back and forth and it gets old after awhile in the news and on here. If you really have valuable, meaningful ideas, put them out there!

For the record, I think that what you and others really mean when you say Liberal, is the far left wing of the Democrat party. The AOCs and the crazies who make us all choke on political correctness, welfare state, 89 different gender types etc, etc. I am all for being against that kind of stuff just as I’m sure (or at least assume) you are against the extreme far right with the Nazi’s and KKK.

When you post on here you like to complain about how liberals twist words, change the subject, make things up, mischaracterize the other side, attack people, and then you do the exact same thing. You like to paraphrase what people say and change the meaning while at the same time nitpicking other people that paraphrased you on a technicality that made no difference in the meaning. You are so obsessed with talking about liberals that I wonder if deep down you are a deeply repressed closet liberal?

Actually I’m pretty sure what your deal is, is that you just enjoy being argumentative for the sake of it. Hey if that’s what gives you your Jollies more power to you! Not a lot to do right now anyway so maybe you have the right idea.
    Look, if we want to be honest here, you could care less what I consider a “liberal”. You made your post to attack my character. What’s your motive? Who knows? Why did you say I think I’m smarter than Einstein and bring up my advice to my niece to stay away from trying to find a mathematical formula to unify the fields? This has nothing to do with any point you were trying to make. It was just to attack me.

And if you think my advice is wrong, spend some time studying Einstein’s last years. Just go on Wikipedia and look Einstein up and then go down to “Unified field theory”. Here are two sentences: “Although he continued to be lauded for his work, Einstein became increasingly isolated in his research, and his efforts were ultimately unsuccessful. In his pursuit of a unification of the fundamental forces, Einstein ignored some mainstream developments in physics, most notably the strong and weak nuclear forces...”

Bottom line is Einstein was a genius, but he also made a lot of mistakes, especially in his later years. Doesn’t it make sense that we should learn from them and not follow the same path? There are many physicist that would give my niece the same advice I gave her. Don’t waste your time trying to find a mathematical formula to unify the fields.

And from a creationist perspective, I understand it might not even be possible. The belief that these fields can be unified comes from a belief (or you could call it faith) in the Big Bang. If the Big Bang didn’t happen (and I don’t believe it did), there is no reason to waist time trying to unify these fields.

If you want to make fun of me for being a creationist and believing in science and God that’s your call. I deal with it all the time when I give lectures on college campuses on creation. So I understand where your kind comes from. You mock people who think differently than you. You have no evidence for what you believe, but you still believe it.

As far as your description of the far right and far left, for the most part, I agree with you. I have actually said on this forum that voting for George Bush Senior was not that different than voting for a liberal Democrat. Today both parties would be considered very liberal compared to how they would’ve been back in the 1930s.

Also I’ve said, we’re slowly sliding to the left ever since FDR and will continue to slide that direction until we get to a more socialist state. There’s nothing much people can do, so we’ve got to deal with it.

So you asked me how I could tell you were a liberal? Easy, you attacked my character, and you made that rant about liberals raping kittens. This is usually a hallmark of what liberals do. So there you got your answer. Like you said there’s not much to do with the lockdown. I didn’t spend much time on forums until this lockdown. I will give you credit, you don’t get into name calling, which is impressive.
    So first of all, I don’t have any problem with you, I know that peoples internet personas are not the same as the person in real life. If I ever run into you into a casino, I’ll buy you a beer.

As far as attacking your character, I just interacted with you the same way you interact with everyone else.

I honestly wanted to know what your definition of a liberal is and now it’s because I attacked your character. Would it be impossible to attack your character if I was conservative?

Thats really my whole point, liberal should refer to what your actual political positions are. If you noticed in all the posts I primarily pointed out the conservative positions I agree with and liberal positions I disagreed with,

So if you generally agree with conversation positions and generally disagree with liberal positions, how does that make you a liberal? I don’t like labeling people and demonizing people when you have no idea what their positions actually are.

We probably actually agree on a lot more things than you would imagine. I agree that Einstein wasted time looking for the unified theory because he just couldn’t believe the randomness in quantum mechanics. I also agree with your thought that string is nonsense because you have to add all the extra dimensions for it to work.

Thats my point though, if you knew that about me first you might say something like wow, you sure know more than those dumb liberals, even though it has nothing to do with politics.

I am equal opportunity, I don’t like listening to people bash liberals all day without providing substance or even knowing if the person is actually a liberal, the same way I don’t like people that bash Trump and the Republicans all day without looking at the positive things.

I do on the another hand like hearing substance, I.E. I dont like liberals because they support X policies which lead to Y.

I like Trump because he promised to do X which I support and he did X.

I know its a lot to ask to because this is the internet after all, but I just think you can actually learn from those types of discussions. When I was young I considered myself very liberal, after years of listening to talk radio, Fox news, and having substantive discussions with conservative & liberal friends I moved much more to the right and consider myself moderate now and can see where my thinking was flawed on certain issues in the past. This is why I like discussing V. insulting.
    DGenBen, that was actually a really decent post. Thank you! I probably need to take back some of the things I said. Sorry about that!

I guess the problem with the Internet is some people you sort of troll because you can tell they post mostly to throw bombs and “stir the pot” (think MWP) and there are others you can actually have a decent discussion with and learn something. It’s sometimes hard to tell the difference between these two early on. I’m probably a little too defensive too.

But I do think people on the Internet take things way too seriously. You might hate this definition but liberals do seem to get wound up too tight when you call them liberal. So it’s kind of fun calling them “liberals”. Kj goes crazy when I call him a liberal, and btw he is a liberal. You will rarely see a conservative getting upset at being called a conservative.

And I do think things have drifted so far to the left many conservatives don’t even know what being a conservative means anymore. I’m always shocked at how many of my conservative friends believe social security is one of the “good” government programs. I don’t agree. I think it’s one of the worst and I let them know it was voted as being unconstitutional by our Supreme Court back during Roosevelt’s time.

In a free country, the government should not force you to save for retirement. That’s not the role of government. But I know I’m in the minority on this one, so you can only guess how many other issues I’m in the minority on.

I believe in what our country was founded on, and in the concept of freedom. But I also get that with freedom comes responsibility. And it’s almost impossible to have freedom without religion (meaning Christianity). When countries move away from religion, they will always move toward socialism and more government. It’s the way we are wired as human beings. We either believe in God and want freedom or we believe in government as our security blanket.

It’s no coincidence that conservatives are in general more religious than liberals. And this has nothing to do with party affiliations. As with Europe, as our country moves further away from religion and God, we are moving more to a socialist government system. The end of the spectrum is communism, which is anti-God.

I don’t know if you know this but Karl Marx and Charles Darwin wrote to each other and respected each other’s work. It’s not a coincidence that communism and evolution go hand-in-hand. Darwin gave what is considered a scientific explanation to Marxism (communisism). When Darwin published his landmark book “On the Origin of the Species” in 1859, Karl Marx stated Darwin’s book contains “the basis in natural history for our view.”

Few people understand how connected religion is to political systems, and how closely linked evolution is to communism and socialism. If you’re interested, I’ll let you do your own research on that one. If you spend much time on it, you’ll be surprised at what you’ll find.

Since I don’t see our country becoming more religious, I understand we will move more towards socialism, and eventually some form of communism. It’s the end-state for a country that abandons God.

I have enjoyed interacting with you on this thread, and I agree, I think we could have a beer together and enjoy chatting. I can tell you are different than others on forums, since you didn’t start calling me vulgar names. I think you can only imagine what kind of names I get called when I’m on a university campus. I guess it comes with the territory and I always just take it with a shrug and a laugh. It really doesn’t get under my skin.

One more comment, I also think I would get along with LMR, even though I know we have very different views. He doesn’t take this forum stuff too seriously either. I’d also like to meet MDawg too sometime to talk stocks.

And I’ve course I’d like to meet Mickey sometime since he’s another hardcore flame throwing conservative. Lol. You don’t see too many of those out there anymore. Cheers!
    Last edited by Bob21; 04-27-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Thread Information