Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-opening USA?

total deaths from Coronavirus:

March 1: 2
    April 1: 4800
    May 1: we will be over 60,000 (currently 54,000)

Exactly how are we on a downward trajectory ready to reopen?

By the way 60,000 deaths was the number that the Washington Model had earlier this month for deaths thru August 4. We are going to hit that by May 1.

And the number of 60,000 in the Washington Model was if everything was shutdown. Remember Trump saying the model showed 2.2 million if we did nothing. So if we are going to open everything up, don't we go right back to that 2.2 million projection number?

I am not trying to be a doom-sayer here. I just fail to see how anything has changed. If we open up aren't we right back to where we were March 15, which was 2.2 million deaths projected? Seems like the decision to closed was based on science, and the projection models and the decision to open is because people have decided they are tired of staying home.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

By the way 60,000 deaths was the number that the Washington Model had earlier this month for deaths thru August 4. We are going to hit that by May 1.

And the number of 60,000 in the Washington Model was if everything was shutdown. Remember Trump saying the model showed 2.2 million if we did nothing. So if we are going to open everything up, don't we go right back to that 2.2 million projection number?

I am not trying to be a doom-sayer here. I just fail to see how anything has changed. If we open up aren't we right back to where we were March 15, which was 2.2 million deaths projected? Seems like the decision to closed was based on science, and the projection models and the decision to open is because people have decided they are tired of staying home.
    Kj, if you’re going to quote stats, then please include the age of the people dying. The people dying aren’t a random cross section of our population. Most are very old, or people with some underling condition who were close to kicking the bucket anyway. And while dying is tragic, it does happen.

Also, nobody said when things open up, there will be a law saying you can’t stay home hunkered down in your basement. “Opening” things up means you have the “freedom” to go places if you want to. It also means you have the “freedom” to stay in your house and not come out. I know the concept of “freedom” is probably a difficult concept for you liberals to understand, so I thought I’d explain it to you.

Btw, take a look at the Sweden thread. There’s a lot of good stuff on that thread showing you how a country can “open up” and still not create Armageddon. It’s called people acting responsibly.

It sounds like you’re a lot like Don, believing all people are just “lambs”, needing direction from the government before they know what to do. It’s kind of sad you have such a lowly view of humanity.

Don't worry about it anymore.
    Open up or Stay at Home doesn't matter now.
    The Fear that has been created is too strong.
    Expect serious changes in the near future
    Not much use for card counting or machine hustling anymore.
    Time to learn a new trade.
    It's a little late to learn but Farming, Hunting/Fishing and Survivalism could be useful.
    Adapt or Die.
    Last edited by monet; 04-27-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post

Kj, if you’re going to quote stats, then please include the age of the people dying. The people dying aren’t a random cross section of our population. Most are very old, or people with some underling condition who were close to kicking the bucket anyway. And while dying is tragic, it does happen.

Also, nobody said when things open up, there will be a law saying you can’t stay home hunkered down in your basement. “Opening” things up means you have the “freedom” to go places if you want to. It also means you have the “freedom” to stay in your house and not come out. I know the concept of “freedom” is probably a difficult concept for you liberals to understand, so I thought I’d explain it to you.

Btw, take a look at the Sweden thread. There’s a lot of good stuff on that thread showing you how a country can “open up” and still not create Armageddon. It’s called people acting responsibly.

It sounds like you’re a lot like Don, believing all people are just “lambs”, needing direction from the government before they know what to do. It’s kind of sad you have such a lowly view of humanity.
    Fuck you Bob21! I am tired of playing your game. You demonize everyone who has any though different than your own. As soon as I post this reply, you are on ignore. I think I did that before and some where along the line decided to give you another chance. That was my mistake.

So, I didn't say that we shouldn't re-open did I asshole? As a matter of fact if you read my post shortly after the shutdown, I said we should probably just endure the 2 million or so deaths for a year or however long it takes to get a vaccine, as unpleasant as that may be. I said the path chosen was going to create a worse situation (financial) for the country and so many more people. A situation that it would take years to recover from. Also in that early post back in March, I said, I don't see how a shutdown changes anything. At some point you have to re-open and unless there is a vaccine or treatment, you go right back to the exact same situation.

So I am not saying we shouldn't re-open. I am simply saying if the decision was made to shutdown and it was by President Trump, how exactly has anything changed. How are we now on a decline that justifies opening based on the numbers? I mean the only way it makes sense at this point in time based on these numbers is if someone says "yeah we made a mistake in closing, so we are going to re-open". But that is not what they are saying. What they are saying is we are on the decline so it is time to re-open. I would just like to know how the monthly totals of 2 deaths, 4800 deaths, 60,000 deaths is on the decline. Seems like Rob Singer Math to me.

The shutdown was to keep hospital rooms from overflowing. It was meant to get us through the peak of hospitalizations. But now that we've been through the worst and infection rates are slowing some people think the country should stay shutdown for different reasons. WE GOT THROUGH IT! Time to open back up.

The world has had an economic meltdown over this virus. Millions are going to starve to death because of it. If we stay shutdown then add some more millions to it. All of you that are against reopening really need to think about this.

And another thing, the country is not fully reopening all at once. It's starting out slowly with phases to go through and conditions having to be met.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

How many of you have studied American History. FREEDOM!!! That's what it's all about. We fought the Revolutionary War for freedom. We fought the Civil War for freedom. We fought World War II for freedom. Ain't that great. Freedom from tyranny! Freedom from Oppression!

Freedom from unreasonable government officials! Oh, wait! I was just ordered by government not to leave my house for half of March and all of April. The government made people quit working. Made business owners shutdown. They took away our rights like they weren't jackshit.

Through the goodness of government's blessed little heart they are going to let us come out and play in May....but just a little to start with. How nice of them.

How the hell can they do that to a free people? The answer is they can't. But they can do it to people who are not free. Because we are not really free. Freedom is just an idea. To bad it's never really happened.
    Last edited by mickeycrimm; 04-27-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    "More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    The shutdown was to keep hospital rooms from overflowing. It was meant to get us through the peak of hospitalizations. But now that we've been through the worst and infection rates are slowing some people think the country should stay shutdown for different reasons. WE GOT THROUGH IT! Time to open back up.

The world has had an economic meltdown over this virus. Millions are going to starve to death because of it. If we stay shutdown then add some more millions to it. All of you that are against reopening really need to think about this.

And another thing, the country is not fully reopening all at once. It's starting out slowly with phases to go through and conditions having to be met.
    The shut down is already a huge mess - food banks are running out because the demand is so high due to so many people being tapped out.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post

The shut down is already a huge mess - food banks are running out because the demand is so high due to so many people being tapped out.
    The Food Supply Chain Is Breaking
    Tyson Foods Warn of Meat Shortage as Plants Close Due to COVID-19

It certainly is snowballing out of control but we already knew this before they actually shut it all down.
    Crude Oil is at a negative and nobody knows what kind of damage that is going to cause.
    The ripple effect of the World Economic Shutdown in Massive.
    We are only in the first ripple.
    Wait till the Tsunamis hit!

I get it that America isn't really Free but it does seem the best option as far as Liberties are concerned.
    I get it that its broken but I can't think of a better country to move to nor would I want to give up my citizenship.
    Not many countries selling guns and ammunition on every corner for just about every citizen.
    Just that liberty alone is good enough for me.
    Last edited by monet; 04-27-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by tableplay View Post

The Food Supply Chain Is Breaking
    Tyson Foods Warn of Meat Shortage as Plants Close Due to COVID-19

It certainly is snowballing out of control but we already knew this before they actually shut it all down.
    Crude Oil is at a negative and nobody knows what kind of damage that is going to cause.
    The ripple effect of the World Economic Shutdown in Massive.
    We are only in the first ripple.
    Wait till the Tsunamis hit!

I get it that America isn't really Free but it does seem the best option as far as Liberties are concerned.
    I get it that its broken but I can't think of a better country to move to nor would I want to give up my citizenship.
    Not many countries selling guns and ammunition on every corner for just about every citizen.
    Just that liberty alone is good enough for me.
    Pysychopathic, evil, moronic assholes like Gavin Newsom and Gretchen Whitmer have military/police power at their disposal (there are so many like them - just the tip of the iceberg). We are so totally and utterly screwed.

First, I hope you are getting better. The re-opening needs to be done by regions and in waves. Of the 60,000 deaths by May 1, almost half were in NY and New Jersey. They should not open, but areas not as hard hit a soft opening should occur. 17 states have less than 100 deaths. Smaller businesses should reopen. Large event businesses less so. Also, NY situation is very different than the rest of the country. How many got CV19 via subways and elevators in NY? Should hairdressers open in Vegas? Yes. Resorts? ? Some areas need to be monitored even more so, all air flights should require masks, which I believe, as of now do not. Social distancing and masks should continue into summer until we get a handle on the testing, but I don’t believe we need to be completely locked down. Some people should not go out at all (like my mom) but the healthier, younger with proper precautions should. March 15 we did not know much other than lock it all down, now we know more and certain areas should be able to progress with that info.
    Last edited by jpfromla; 04-27-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

Those numbers are death of people who had the virus. The virus itself wasn't necessarily the cause of death.

Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
    Those numbers are death of people who had the virus. The virus itself wasn't necessarily the cause of death.
    Yeah, great point jb. I was going to pick up on that after reading KJ’s original post. One can’t say “total deaths from Coronavirus” are X when they have been classifying coronavirus patient deaths as 'COVID-19' deaths, regardless of cause.

My comment on this can be summed up in three words:

I don't know.

I don't want anyone to get sick or die but I don't want to see our economy collapse and everyone knows it's collapsing.

I don't know what to think or what to do. It's scary on all fronts.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Yeah, great point jb. I was going to pick up on that after reading KJ’s original post. One can’t say “total deaths from Coronavirus” are X when they have been classifying coronavirus patient deaths as 'COVID-19' deaths, regardless of cause.
    Between old people and existing conditions, it makes up a large portion of the deaths.
    Keep your friends close, keep your drinks closer...

Originally Posted by jpfromla View Post
    Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Between old people and existing conditions, it makes up a large portion of the deaths.

Large portion? 99.9%+. They certainly didn’t deserve to die but it’s not destroying the future of the country over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    It's always been about maximizing profits. Maybe, then "destroying the future of the country" is the actual hoax.

I think that, if you were really worried about the "destruction of the future of the country", you'd be much concerned about the resultant pollution from industry, airplanes, cars, and so on.

The virus stuff is a mere blip in what's really going on. Maybe, a wake-up call that few can hear. The worst is coming, but, we won't be around to experience it.

Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    It's always been about maximizing profits. Maybe, then "destroying the future of the country" is the actual hoax.

I think that, if you were really worried about the "destruction of the future of the country", you'd be much concerned about the resultant pollution from industry, airplanes, cars, and so on.

The virus stuff is a mere blip in what's really going on. Maybe, a wake-up call that few can hear. The worst is coming, but, we won't be around to experience it.
    It's about time you told redietz the truth.

The idea that only the old and sick are dying is a false notion. Sadly, there are plenty of middle aged folks dying.

Look in this day and ages, most people in their 30's and above have some sort of longterm medical condition. American lifestyle and eating habits playing into that causing younger and younger people to have obesity and related chronic conditions live diabetes and high blood pressure at an earlier age than ever. Cancer too becomes more prevalent all the time, even in younger people. (Sadly even in children). Asthma is another. Maybe related to worsening air quality, I don't know. But greater numbers of Americans of all ages have some sort of chronic health condition.

One of the things that is a real measuring stick of any society is how they treat and care for their elderly and vulnerable citizens. We just don't turn our back on the elderly and most vulnerable and leave them to die as they did in the barbaric days. There people in the nursing homes that are being hit hard are the men and women from the "greatest" generation". We all owe them a debt of gratitude. We don't pay that debt turning our back on them. So if all of us sacrificing a bit of our freedom, spending more time at home, no sports, no concerts, no casinos or other large gatherings, for a year until our scientist come up with a vaccination, buys these folks of the greatest generation a little more time....it is the least we can do.

Maybe there is a way for some compromise. Opening up some and getting some of the economy going but doing so responsibly and not just saying "fuck it, open up back to normal and screw those vulnerable".

The idea that only the old and sick are dying is a false notion. Sadly, there are plenty of middle aged folks dying.

Look in this day and ages, most people in their 30's and above have some sort of longterm medical condition. American lifestyle and eating habits playing into that causing younger and younger people to have obesity and related chronic conditions live diabetes and high blood pressure at an earlier age than ever. Cancer too becomes more prevalent all the time, even in younger people. (Sadly even in children). Asthma is another. Maybe related to worsening air quality, I don't know. But greater numbers of Americans of all ages have some sort of chronic health condition.

One of the things that is a real measuring stick of any society is how they treat and care for their elderly and vulnerable citizens. We just don't turn our back on the elderly and most vulnerable and leave them to die as they did in the barbaric days. There people in the nursing homes that are being hit hard are the men and women from the "greatest" generation". We all owe them a debt of gratitude. We don't pay that debt turning our back on them. So if all of us sacrificing a bit of our freedom, spending more time at home, no sports, no concerts, no casinos or other large gatherings, for a year until our scientist come up with a vaccination, buys these folks of the greatest generation a little more time....it is the least we can do.

Maybe there is a way for some compromise. Opening up some and getting some of the economy going but doing so responsibly and not just saying "fuck it, open up back to normal and screw those vulnerable".
    No, you're wrong again Kj. The easy solution is for the people that have some underlining condition (regardless of their age) to stay home, and maybe hang out in their basement, that's their choice. It's the simple!

After our country has been in lock down mode for over a month, you'd think people should get this stuff is serious. That means if you have some medical condition or you're old (and want to stick around a little longer) then you need to stay in lock down mode, even if our country "opens up" and gives people freedom.

Here's something I can tell you don't understand Kj, and it's why I continue to call you a LIBERAL. "WITH FREEDOM, COMES RESPONSIBILITY". It's the part of the freedom equation most liberals fail to understand.

KJ, I know you've got me on ignore so you won't be able to understand this important lesson. But maybe someone else will that is still struggling with understanding the concept of freedom.

Btw, I know it's hard for some to understand what freedom means since they've lived in a nanny state for so long. They feel like"lambs" and don't know what to do. Here's what to do if you're scared. Stay in lock down mode and don't go outside.

How many of you have studied American History. FREEDOM!!! That's what it's all about. We fought the Revolutionary War for freedom. We fought the Civil War for freedom. We fought World War II for freedom. Ain't that great. Freedom from tyranny! Freedom from Oppression!

Freedom from unreasonable government officials! Oh, wait! I was just ordered by government not to leave my house for half of March and all of April. The government made people quit working. Made business owners shutdown. They took away our rights like they weren't jackshit.

Through the goodness of government's blessed little heart they are going to let us come out and play in May....but just a little to start with. How nice of them.

How the hell can they do that to a free people? The answer is they can't. But they can do it to people who are not free. Because we are not really free. Freedom is just an idea. To bad it's never really happened.
    The dependent mentality is the majority in today's America. It's a damn shame but true. The thing that makes it real bad is these dependents also feel that they are entitled to be taken care of. What needs to happen is making them feel hunger for some time. Preferably in the dark.
    Last edited by MaxPen; 04-27-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Thread Information