Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
Originally Posted by Bob21 View Post

I'm going to have to come to Mickey's defense on this one, even though I know he doesn't need anybody to defend him.

Kj, your statement is right out of the liberal playbook. You are so indoctrinated with liberal ideas, you probably don't even know you're doing it. Liberals love to use this kind of argument against conservatives. They say we use government programs, so how can we claim to be against them? In their warped little minds they see this as being a hypocrite. They think its being contradictory.

Here's a newsflash for you Kj. You can be against a government program and still use it.

A great example is Social Security. I think social security is the worst government program ever. I mean it was voted unconstitutional by our Supreme Court. The only way FDR got it passed is by stacking the Supreme Court.

In a free country, I don't think the government should be able to force me to set aside some of my earnings for my retirement. This should be my choice. I should get to do with my money as I want.

But this is now outside my control, since our federal government has passed the Social Security law, so I abide by the law and pay my social security taxes. I do this so I don't go to jail. I don't do it because I think it's a good program. I'd much rather keep all my money and invest it or spend it the way I wanted.

But guess what I'll do when I come of age to start collecting social security, I'll use it. Why? Because I've probably paid at least a million dollars into it. And just because I use it that doesn't mean I agree with it. I know this is a hard concept for liberals to understand.

This is what I've been trying to explain to accountinquestion; there are many laws I don't agree with, but I still abide by them since I don't want to go to jail. That's what accountinquestion should be doing to stay out of jail. He seems to like to smoke weed in states where he knows it's against the law, and he could go to jail. This makes no sense to me. I hope accountinquestion leans to abide by our laws, so he can stay out of jail. He seems like a good guy.
Most dems just love FDR.

They rarely mention that he interned tens of thousands of American citizens during WWII.

Oh and he hid the fact that he had polio to the public so that he would get elected. Since polio was considered a death sentence at the time his election prospects would have been bleak if he was honest with the public.
Most conservatives blame FDR for creating the Social Security Retirement Accounts but not investing the money in the stock market. The problem with investing the money in the stock market was the year was 1935, smack dab in the middle of the Great Depression. The market crashed in 1929 but didn't bottom out until 1934. Then it was a painfully slow climb upward. If FDR would have created a national retirement program based on the stock market he not only would have been just a one-term president he would have been tarred and feathered and ran out of town. In 1935 all Americans blamed the stock market for the depression.
I’m not blaming him for not investing the retirement accounts in the stock market. I don’t think the program was a good idea for people to be forced to pay into something that they may not have wanted. Especially so in the mid 1930’s when life expectancies where in the low 60’s. But like many government programs if they don’t forcibly compel people to pay into, there won’t be enough volunteers to keep the Ponzi scheme afloat.
Oh, and employers are made to pay a matching .0625% as well.