Thread: The price of Beef / Steaks (6/13/2020)

I went to my local supermarket to pick up a ribeye. I had 3/4 to 1 lb in mind.

I saw the prices and quickly walked away from the meat & butcher aisle. It was $23 per lb for Choice quality vs $11 lb ($9 per lb at WinCo) during pre Wuhan Virus days.

Damn. Talk about sticker shock.

I think Billryan gets them for 99 cents a pound from some tent in the middle of a parking lot.

Funny how people are sticker shocked about steak or gas prices while most of the world doesn't even have fresh water let alone steak or vehicles.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I think Billryan gets them for 99 cents a pound from some tent in the middle of a parking lot.

Funny how people are sticker shocked about steak or gas prices while most of the world doesn't even have fresh water let alone steak or vehicles.
    You may not realize this but some restaurants have not raised their prices.

Before Wuhan Virus, the $16 T-Bone steak & eggs at Denny’s was pricey. Today with steak at $23 / lb, that same $16 Denny’s T-Bone is now a bargain. Now, I just have to sign up AARP to get 15% off at Denny’s. I know some restaurants that have not raised prices so they aren’t making much money off their meals. I try not to abuse or arbitrage the cost structure of food prices (just because I can).

Btw, I already gave notice at where I volunteer. I am going to miss the place since they do good work and help people in need. I had to interact with some the people they help and experience helps me stay grounded. I am not responsible for other people, whether they have fresh water, steak or gas, vehicles, etc.

However, when I saw people stockpiling on toilet & basic food in the US, I did make posts here on VCT to raise awareness about it. I could do only so much. You didn’t see anyone else pointing out the writing is on the wall: food shortages, etc. so we now have meat shortages (which was to be expected) ... I am still waiting for the food riots in Alabama and Mississippi, which are the two most economically devastated states in the US.

So yeah, I am concerned about my fellow Americans (despite many support BLMs, many are Libtards, etc) because we are part of the same community and we need to come together as community during difficult times DESPITE our differences. As for so nameless, faceless person suffering in the world: Sorry, Americans come first for me ... we need to take care of ourselves first before helping others in the world. TRUMP 2020!!

Originally Posted by Ex-AP View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post

You may not realize this but some restaurants have not raised their prices.

Before Wuhan Virus, the $16 T-Bone steak & eggs at Denny’s was pricey. Today with steak at $23 / lb, that same $16 Denny’s T-Bone is now a bargain. Now, I just have to sign up AARP to get 15% off at Denny’s. I know some restaurants that have not raised prices so they aren’t making much money off their meals. I try not to abuse or arbitrage the cost structure of food prices (just because I can).

Btw, I already gave notice at where I volunteer. I am going to miss the place since they do good work and help people in need. I had to interact with some the people they help and experience helps me stay grounded. I am not responsible for other people, whether they have fresh water, steak or gas, vehicles, etc.

However, when I saw people stockpiling on toilet & basic food in the US, I did make posts here on VCT to raise awareness about it. I could do only so much. You didn’t see anyone else pointing out the writing is on the wall: food shortages, etc. so we now have meat shortages (which was to be expected) ... I am still waiting for the food riots in Alabama and Mississippi, which are the two most economically devastated states in the US.

So yeah, I am concerned about my fellow Americans (despite many support BLMs, many are Libtards, etc) because we are part of the same community and we need to come together as community during difficult times DESPITE our differences. As for so nameless, faceless person suffering in the world: Sorry, Americans come first for me ... we need to take care of ourselves first before helping others in the world. TRUMP 2020!!
    People probably missed your warnings with your TLDR manifesto posting style
    When you have a message try getting to the point.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    People probably missed your warnings with your TLDR manifesto posting style
    When you have a message try getting to the point.
    Nice constructive feedback; much appreciated.

So message is cheaper to eat a fully cooked steak and not do dishes by eating at some sit down restaurants.

Small increase seen. Make up steal avocado. Eat PB meat too much. Chicken wing $2.19 reasonable.

I happened across a "custom meats" store in the middle of BFE yesterday - a place where local farmers sell their stock or where hunters have their deer processed.

Anyhow, I was shocked because the prices were pre-Covid. T-bones $9.49, ground beef $3.99, chops $3.79, bacon $4.59. I stocked the hell up. The Amish (maybe Mennonite?) looking lady behind the counter asked me " you aren't from around here, are you?".

Thread Information