Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18 Hour Intermittent Fasting

For my records and your entertainment!
    Hoping to read some negative bashing.
    Also hoping to read from members with Intermittent Fasting Experience along with Daily Caloric Restriction.

Target Goal
    Lose 50 pounds in 90 Days
    1000 Calories or Less per Day

I lost complete control in the last 2 months.
    I was on the See-Food Diet as many of you know what I mean.
    Ballooned up pretty quick lol.
    I was using that Weber Kettle daily, smoking all sorts of meats!

I woke up yesterday and got back into the health kick.
    I got on the Concept 2 Rowing Machine List and it will take 2 to 3 months before it arrives.
    900 dollars + 45 shipping + 90 dollars for upgraded tractor seat = 1035 dollars spent.
    Anyways... new plan compared to the Juice Fasting thread.

I put myself on a maximum 1000 calorie a day diet.
    I'm also going to follow this 18 hour Intermittent Fast leaving a 6 hour window for eating up to 1000 calories.
    Implementing low sodium Sardines into the menu.
    They are 140 calories per can and 13% of sodium DV.
    I read that one of the Elites eats 5 cans a day and swears by it.
    Also takes ice baths and only eats one meal 5 days a week with 2 days of complete fasting on the weekend I suppose.

So the journey begins again.
    I'd like to go to the Gym but they have too many rules and have the Locker Room, Steam, Sauna and Jacuzzi closed.
    I could go and row, row, row my boat but I don't like the mask idea in the Gym.

According to the scale, on day 2, I lost 4 pounds.
    I find it funny that I started at the exact same weight as before at 276 pounds.
    Not too terrible since I have some height at 6'3 but when you start to have to buy triple x shirts you realize you got a problem.

Day 1
    7/27/2020
    Weight = 276

Target Goal
    Lose 50 pounds in 90 Days
    1000 Calories or Less per Day
    Continue on afterward with same regiment

30 minute walk with dogs
    Sit Ups = 20 = I'm Weak and Soft
    Push Ups = 20 = I'm Weak and Soft

1 Cup Coffee, Milk and 2 Sugars (60)
    1 Bowl Homemade Chicken Soup (440)
    1 Can Sardines (140)
    1/2 Can Peas (100)
    3 Halls Cough Drops and 3 So Called Vitamin C Drops (60)

Total Calories = 800

Good Lord you porky fat bastard. How often do you abuse your body with these idiotic weight loss schemes? And you pick about the worst I have ever read. Guaranteed to fail at losing weight and just very bad for your body.

When I get home in a few hours, I will post step by step what you should do. It's not a diet.

You don't have to like me. You don't have to thank me. Just do what I say for two weeks and you will be healthier and lose weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA2VqPvBnQ
    It's like I used to tell MrV, about all the fine-dining, etc. People don't eat out for the food. That garbage is all about image, what we are "supposed" to do. No one is just "supposed" to do anything. On the other hand, you can't have part of the package without the whole package. People say that no one can have it all, but, this is the only way to go, in the simple living sense. You can't sleep well without a lot of it, nor, without eating and thinking right.

It's not a battle/war, but, a way of life. Me, I eat once a day, around noon, or, before, if some physical exertion is on the schedule. A good way to free up the remainder of the day for some long runs at other things. If you are already reasonably healthy, it doesn't much matter what you eat. Keep eating it. Eat less, but, with more physical exertion. Nay, some normal degree of mental and physical exertion. Can't well do any one of these things without the other. Of course, no drinking, smoking, drugs, or prolonged sitting. There is no secret to it. The reason that what another can do, then also the one can do. Realize that the final bag of chips is the one that you passed by. Ie, if you don't start something, that first taste, then nothing more can come of it. It becomes only exponentially harder to put down, after you start.
    Lustin' lutins (from) NUTS:LI (Lichtenstein), unlist insult, until's sunlit!

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Shut it down, LMR. = Low Mind thRust, (invar.)

555 = 111 + 4*111 = 15*37, or 37*15, as 153, and 7, or, 371, and 5. As 153 on 371, to 5/7 left, as 6 +/- 1.

3/21 to 8/22 is 153 + 1 days. 321 = 107*3 + 0; 123 = 3*71 + 0. To 1/0. 822 = (-1 + 7)(37 + 100); 228 = 57[6 - (1 + 1)], ---> 11411. 15[3^2] = 153 + (5 + 1). 154 days is ~ 42.08% of year 2020. 451 = 11*41^1.

The porky fat bastard road to a healthier and slimmer porky fat bastard plan.

1). and this may be the most important thing you can do. Upon waking up in the morning....EAT! within 30 -45 minutes at the most. This speeds up metabolism. It tells your body that you will be receiving nutrients on a regular basis and there is no need to go into slow metabolism / storage mode.

I like to eat oatmeal first thing in the morning. Oatmeal naturally lowers blood pressure and regulates blood sugar. I know it sounds horribly bland but there are many different flavors now. I use chocolate chip instant oatmeal AND add in a bit of dark chocolate, either baking bits or just a small piece of a chocolate bar. Dark chocolate also is very good for your blood pressure. I compliment the oatmeal with a piece of fruit, usually banana or orange. This is healthy way to start the day and when you are not so healthy later on, at least you have incorporated some healthier eating.

2.) From this point on, 4 more small meals every 3 hours. What you eat is less important that that you eat every 3 hours again, re-affirming to your body, that nutrition is coming on a regular basis. Now when I say what you eat is less important, obviously if you eat a Capriotti 2 foot cheesesteak for each of those 4 additional meals, you aren't going to lose weight or be healthier. Just eat reasonable. One of my meals every single day is a half a (large) container of ice cream, usually with graham crackers, which I use as spoon. Not exactly healthy.

3.) eat 3 servings of fruit a day. I eat an apple, orange and banana, sometimes grapes. Just incorporate that with something else as one of your "feedings".

4.) exercise and walk. You don't have to spend 90 minutes a day in the gym. Just do 10 minutes of toe touches and twisting twice a day while watching TV. Try to walk more during your regular activities, whatever that may be. If for some reason, you can't do that, then schedule and take a 30 minute walk.

That's it. No fasting, No juicing. No, no carbs plan. Everything you eat doesn't have to be healthy. I eat cookies and ice cream daily. Just eat a little smaller meals every 3 hours.

One last thing. Soda is poison. It really is. And diet soda is no better. It is all chemicals that are very bad for humans. If you are a big soda drinker as I was, replace it with water, iced tea, almost anything else.
    Last edited by kewlJ; 07-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Day 2
    7/28/2020
    Weight = 272

Woke up around 5:30am and only got in 5 hours of sleep.
    Took the dogs for a long walk at about 45 minutes total.
    Did some of the usual shopping for mostly fruits and vegetables.
    Round up to 125 dollars spent.
    Took about 3 hours to get a bunch of juicing done along with kitchen clean up.
    Broke the 16 hour Fast early at High Noon but broke it with 30 ounces of Fresh Juice.
    According to the experts this is too much and most likely 22 ounces are wasted or urinated out.
    Supposedly it is better to drink 8 ounces every hour or every hour and a half.
    Whatever, can't be perfect in my madness.
    An hour and a half later I had a large bowl of Homemade Chicken Soup with some extra noodles.
    Made too much of this before I started so have to finish out these leftovers.
    Plan on having a smoothie at about 4pm even though I am not hungry and I am going over the threshold.
    Went under yesterday so hopefully that balances out.
    Worked off more calories today with exercise compared to yesterday, so its a wash.
    I could estimate but I don't have the exact figures of Calories Burned.
    Most likely the 45 minute walk burned off 200 to 250 calories.
    Figured I'd post this now while I had some free time.

Day 2 Intake
    1 Cup Black Ice Coffee with 2 Sugars (60)
    1 Bowl Homemade Chicken Soup with extra noodles (520)
    42 ounces of Fresh Juice (500)
    1/2 Gallon of Water (0)
    4 Halls Cough Drops (40)
    12 oz Blue-Green Smoothie (250)

Day 2 Caloric Intake = 1370

Running Totals
    Weight Loss = 4lbs
    Daily Average of Calories = 1085
    Daily Sleep Average = 5 hours
    Intermittent Fasting Average = 15 hours
    Last edited by monet; 07-28-2020 at 03:18 PM.

https://fastlifehacks.com/david-sinc...l-where-to-buy

Interesting Article and Broadcast if you have time to read, listen and research over 10 hours of his papers/studies/videos.
    I'm interested but seems to easy to get swindled or use incorrect doses or ineffective products.
    Sort of feels something like the Wild Wild West of medicine/supplements/anti-aging.
    I tested that Raw Living Spirulina but after 6 weeks of drinking that green sludge I had some adverse reactions and decided to forgo that experiment lol.
    No reason to go down that rabbit hole anymore but I am starting to become a believer in Intermittent Fasting.
    I've always known and believed in long term fasting but didn't practice it enough.
    I'm pretty sure that nothing beats a healthy diet and exercise routine.
    Still got time as I am breathing and one has to keep try, try, trying again and again and again.

I do the same IF program, but wow, 1000 calories per day is way too low. You're going to make yourself miserable and end up binging on an entire bday cake, or something. I go for 1500 net calories (2000 - 500 burned exercising) when I'm trying to cut weight.

Your Day 2 intake is a lot of sugar and sodium, two things that will hinder you. Fruit juice is full of sugar, and even whole fruit should be eaten sparingly. You want protein and complex carbs to dominate your diet.

JMO

Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I do the same IF program, but wow, 1000 calories per day is way too low. You're going to make yourself miserable and end up binging on an entire bday cake, or something. I go for 1500 net calories (2000 - 500 burned exercising) when I'm trying to cut weight.

Your Day 2 intake is a lot of sugar and sodium, two things that will hinder you. Fruit juice is full of sugar, and even whole fruit should be eaten sparingly. You want protein and complex carbs to dominate your diet.

JMO
    Thanks for Weighing in!
    Please excuse my corny humor.
    I'd like to read more of your daily routine, thoughts and experience on the subject.
    I remember when I posted the Juice Fast thread how Maxpen was worried about my sugar levels from about a gallon of carrot juice per day.
    Time is going quick as that was just about 2 years ago!!
    I am a firm believer that the sugar from carrot juice is completely different than granulated sugar.
    I also have this 700 dollar Tribest Greenstar Pro that must be used to get maximum return and value for money spent.
    The water consumption and exercise help to balance things out.
    I'm probably under the sodium DV on day 2 as the Carrot Juice will equal about 40%.
    Chicken Soup will be close to 40% as well so I don't think I am over on sodium.
    I can't argue about the sugar consumption but we are never going to agree on that as we are in different ideological camps on that subject.
    I can agree and submit to the idea that I need to ramp up the protein and I actually have to look up what complex carbs are exactly as I am ignorant in that field.
    Ok, that's interesting that complex carbs are found in vegetables.
    Both simple and complex carbohydrates are turned into glucose (blood sugar) in the body and are used as energy.
    Also, Complex carbohydrates are found in foods such as peas, beans and whole grains.

So probably need to switch things up a bit today and consume things like eggs, oatmeal and beans.
    I don't think I would have a problem with birthday cakes and such as I am more into the sour than the sweets.
    If I did binge on something it would be something like a whole pot of Macaroni and Cheese or Fettuccine Alfredo or maybe a whole gallon of ice cream.
    When my mind gets set like this I usually don't have that problem though.
    Just say no right
    Worked for Nancy Reagan.

I'm really looking forward to rowing myself into shape.
    As you say though I may need to consider upping the daily calories but I'll leave it be for the time being.
    I've done things like this before with no solid foods and about 1500 calories a day through Carrot Juice + double workouts at the Gym.
    I would be burning off about 3000 to 4000 calories per day and taking in around 1500 to 2000.
    Tricked the body great but it can't be good for your body in general and I did experience some nose bleeds losing weight that fast.
    I'm stubborn like that though.
    Granted that was 15 to 20 years ago.

I am looking forward to you following along and posting up more helpful information and insight.
    18/6 might be a bit too ambitious for IF but from what I read you don't get the scientific benefits till after the first 12 hours.
    Thanks for taking the time!
    Last edited by monet; 07-29-2020 at 03:18 AM.

The Benefits of the 16:8 Diet

When you eat could be as important as what you eat. Mounting evidence confirms that regular fasting enhances health as well as superfoods or medicines. This makes sense because giving our bodies a break from food processing allows them time to rejuvenate. Instead of slashing calories or drastically altering food choices and portions, the 16:8 diet cuts back on the time frame during which you eat each day. Rather than spreading out your meals between when you wake up and a couple hours before you go to sleep, the method requires limiting consumption to an eight-hour window and fasting for 16 hours.

The 16:8 diet isn’t technically a diet; it is a form of intermittent fasting (IF) or time-restricted eating. During the fasting period, you refrain from consuming any calorie-bearing foods or drinks; water and unsweetened beverages are allowed. While you can eat whatever you desire during the eating period, a nutrient-rich food selection will naturally yield greater health benefits.

https://facty.com/lifestyle/dietary/...MaArFUEALw_wcB

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

555 = 111 + 4*111 = 15*37, or 37*15, as 153, and 7, or, 371, and 5. As 153 on 371, to 5/7 left, as 6 +/- 1.

3/21 to 8/22 is 153 + 1 days. 321 = 107*3 + 0; 123 = 3*71 + 0. To 1/0. 822 = (-1 + 7)(37 + 100); 228 = 57[6 - (1 + 1)], ---> 11411. 15[3^2] = 153 + (5 + 1). 154 days is ~ 42.08% of year 2020. 451 = 11*41^1.

Day 3
    7/29/2020
    Weight = 271
    Height = 6'3
    BMI Score = 33.9 = Obese According to TDEE Calculator
    Suggested Daily Maintenance Calories = 3410 with Moderate Exercise

Fell asleep around 9:30 and woke up at 2:30 AM.
    5 hours of sleep again but I did get an hour nap today around noon.
    2.2 mile walk with the dogs at 5am that took about 40 minutes.
    Drank about 1/2 gallon of water for the next 3 hours.
    Starting my eating window at 8:45am and closed it at 2:30 this afternoon.
    Following the 18:6 IF schedule with Restricted Calorie Intake.
    Increased protein and decreased sugars as suggested.
    Also increased Daily Calories.
    Moving forward I will try to stay within 1000 to 1500 daily and increase/decrease as needed.
    Plan to implement a day or two Long Term Fasting in the future.

Day 3 Intake

3 Eggs with Mushrooms, Spinach, Garlic and Onions.(285)
    1 teaspoon EVOO (40)
    12 ounces Carrot Juice (145)
    1 Grapefruit (105)
    1 Sardine Sandwich with Mustard (325)
    1 Green Smoothie (300)

Total Caloric Intake = 1200

Running Totals

Weight Loss = 5lbs
    Daily Average of Calories = 1124
    Daily Sleep Average = 5.5 hours
    Daily Intermittent Fasting Average = 15.5 hours
    Last edited by monet; 07-29-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Oh, so there is also a 20:4 diet. This must be the one that I am on. Who would have thought it thirty years ago. Ha. I like these numbers, too. Look.

204 = 2(102) = 4(51) = (1 + 3)51 ---> 351;

204 = (1 + 3)*3*(7 + 10) ---> 137 and 197.

Anyway, part of the "logic" of eating once a day, a mini-feast, everyday, is that we shit once a day, so, why not eat once a day? Like a snake eats once a week, to shit once a week.

20:4

This involves a 4-hour eating window and a 20-hour fast. For example, you might eat between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm every day and fast for the other 20 hours. This would involve eating either one large, lengthy meal or two smaller meals within this period.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
    Now I wonder what numbers for an 18:6 diet.

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Oh, 186 = 6*31 = 6(-1 + 2*16) = 6[-1 + (1 + 1)16] ---> 611116. 116 inverted on itself. Lol.

p
    M
    u
    r
    taRd

---> MR. L(osing).

Fructose is somewhat better than refined sugar, but you still want to limit your intake.

My IF (I do 16/8; it's about as long as I can stand without my stomach feeling like it's eating itself) diet largely consists of chicken, fish (I like white fish but salmon/tuna are better), eggs, oatmeal, cheese, brown rice, sweet potatoes and a few different vegetables. I do a cheat day about once a week, otherwise my metabolism eventually adjusts to the calorie intake, and my weight plateaus.

The sardines are actually a pretty good source of protein (18g per 140 cal), but the sodium content isn't great (even in the no salt added version).

Fructose is somewhat better than refined sugar, but you still want to limit your intake.

My IF (I do 16/8; it's about as long as I can stand without my stomach feeling like it's eating itself) diet largely consists of chicken, fish (I like white fish but salmon/tuna are better), eggs, oatmeal, cheese, brown rice, sweet potatoes and a few different vegetables. I do a cheat day about once a week, otherwise my metabolism eventually adjusts to the calorie intake, and my weight plateaus.

The sardines are actually a pretty good source of protein (18g per 140 cal), but the sodium content isn't great (even in the no salt added version).
    Good Information.
    Of course I don't agree with the sugar problem from Carrots but don't really want to debate or argue about that.
    Plenty of information on both sides of that topic and the individual can decide what is best for their situation.

However, I don't understand the sodium problem with canned sardines.
    Currently I have the gourmet fillets with no salt added that I didn't realize do not have the bones.
    They have the skin which I want but I also want the bones as they are supposed to be high in nutrition.
    They are much higher in sodium so I will be changing brands.
    They are at 320mgs (14% daily value) which I admit is a bit high but I'm still far under the daily allowance even if I eat one can a day.

King Oscar seems to be a better choice at 200 mgs per can and 10 less calories.
    According to the package that is 9% of DV which makes sense why a person could eat 5 cans a day and be at 45% DV of sodium intake.
    I suppose this is the same discussion as above with the Carrot Juice.
    You have to make choices and live with them.
    I plan to increase my Sardine intake as I am kinda buying into them as being a perfect food.
    As always, the rule of thumb, in life, is to take everything in moderation, so I will keep that in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The King Oscar is a bit lower in sodium than the example I found, it's just that there are better options if you like oily fish. E.g. a 3x serving of salmon has half the sodium of the sardines.

But if you really prefer the sardines, I'd stick with it (you have to eat stuff you actually LIKE, if you're expected to maintain, otherwise you'll just end up cheating)

The King Oscar is a bit lower in sodium than the example I found, it's just that there are better options if you like oily fish. E.g. a 3x serving of salmon has half the sodium of the sardines.

But if you really prefer the sardines, I'd stick with it (you have to eat stuff you actually LIKE, if you're expected to maintain, otherwise you'll just end up cheating)
    Makes sense.
    Salmon is just as good to me as Sardines.
    Of course Sardines are instant.
    I've seen some other examples where Sardines are even lower in sodium compared to these King Oscar Sardines.
    It seems that King Oscar sold their company to Thailand and the quality has suffered.
    It seems many of the Sardine manufactures are cheating like everyone else.
    Pros and Cons to everything I suppose.
    That is the price you pay for not going out to the wild and catching this stuff ourselves.
    Thanks for the information as I do appreciate it.

I'm a bit late on the Day 4 write up as I got busy.
    I ended up only sleeping 5 hours again and took the dogs on a 3 mile walk this time.
    Getting a chance to see First Light but not the Sunrise.
    It took about 45 minutes to get the 3 miles in so that's a good pace from what I understand.
    I also ran around the Casinos for a few hours moving my IF schedule up to 20 hours instead of 16.
    After that I worked on a massive Vegetable Beef Soup project.
    I always do this where I cook far too much as I think I have a family of 10.
    I ended up with about 3 gallons of Soup.
    Froze a bunch of it so not such a bad thing.

Day 4
    7/30/2020
    Weight = 268

Day 4 Intake

16 oz Green Smoothie (450)
    10 Raw Almonds (75)
    1 Can Sardines (140)
    Bowl Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup (800)
    Also taking some supplements like Vitamin D3, Ginger, Turmeric and Magnesium.

Total Caloric Intake = 1465

Running Totals

Weight Loss = 8lbs
    Daily Average of Calories = 1209
    Daily Sleep Average = 5.5 hours
    Daily Intermittent Fasting Average = 17 hours

Everyone's sleep needs are different, but I would try and aim for 7 hours a day. You wouldn't believe how lack of sleep(under 6 hours) messes with most people's hormones. Cortisol, blood sugar levels, Testosterone to name a few. Lack of sleep, can do enough harm, to limit progress significantly, causing insulin resistance. I would also try and fast for 20 hours minimum a day, with a 4 hour feeding window. If you can hack it down the road, 23 fast 1 feed is in my opinion the best, but it's not for the weak willed. I've been on 1 huge meal a day for 18 months and have never felt better in my life.

Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Everyone's sleep needs are different, but I would try and aim for 7 hours a day. You wouldn't believe how lack of sleep(under 6 hours) messes with most people's hormones. Cortisol, blood sugar levels, Testosterone to name a few. Lack of sleep, can do enough harm, to limit progress significantly, causing insulin resistance. I would also try and fast for 20 hours minimum a day, with a 4 hour feeding window. If you can hack it down the road, 23 fast 1 feed is in my opinion the best, but it's not for the weak willed. I've been on 1 huge meal a day for 18 months and have never felt better in my life.
    I agree with the sleep assessment.
    Every time I start a regiment like this my body reacts goofy and can't sleep more than 5 to 6 hours.
    Last night I fixed that with some tranquilizers but that can't be good for you either.
    I did sleep a little over 12 hours though so that was nice.

OMAD is pretty interesting.
    I've read pros and cons on the subject.
    20:4 is probably a good compromise and I can work towards that goal.
    Not sure that it matters if you factor in calorie restrictions.
    Add in strength/aerobic training and not sure any of it matters as long as you calorie restrict.

Thanks for the reply and information and your own personal experience.

Skipped the walk this morning as I was in a deep sleep as I killed 5 deer in my nightmare/dream and was telling my dearly departed father to look up on youtube how to use the gutless method and to take them into the bathtub for less mess.

Day 5
    7/31/2020
    Weight = 267

Day 5 Intake

16 oz Green Smoothie (350)
    1 Can Sardines (140)
    8 oz of Lima Beans (125)
    Bowl Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup (400)
    16 oz of Carrot Juice (190)

Total Caloric Intake = 1205

Running Totals

Weight Loss = 9lbs
    Daily Average of Calories = 1209
    Daily Sleep Average = 6.8 hours
    Daily Intermittent Fasting Average = 17 hours

For weight loss nothing matters except calories consumed. Health is something different.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    For weight loss nothing matters except calories consumed. Health is something different.
    Agreed.
    I could use a little more detailed information when you have time.

Thread Information