Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: song reco

Sorry, V, but no high-end stereo equipment, either. No one can hear the difference, let alone stoned. Anyway. 1970 was a long time ago, another world.
    Last edited by OppsIdidItAgain; 05-13-2023 at 09:37 AM.

Originally Posted by OppsIdidItAgain View Post
    Sorry, V, but no high-end stereo equipment, either. No one can hear the difference, let alone stoned.
    Shirley, you jest.

To claim "no one can hear the difference" between a tune played on a cheapo lo-fi set up and a well-sorted out high end system is beyond absurd, "stoned" or not.

I know the difference is quite real.

Have you ever heard a fune you like played through a good hi end stereo system?

If not, STFU; if so, and you really heard no difference, I can only pity you and your lousy ears.
    What, Me Worry?

Properly done double-blind tests indicate that “high-end” gear is mostly about high cost and “bling factor”.

Isaac Wingfield
    Retired After a Long Career of Electronics R&D4y

Then if I gave them the kph30i and explained it was $30. 97% of people would shit on them after hearing the same driver in a different chassis.

My ultimate hypothesis is that build quality and price are the two most important factors in determining if people will enjoy a set of headphones. This how I rationalize the HD8XX getting shit on when only 3 people have heard it and publicly provided their opinion lol. "It's a cheaper 800s, of course it's going to sound worse!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/...lacebo_effect/

Just knowing there is an expectation bias does not exempt you from being affected by it. We can train ourselves to hear certain things better, but knowing the cause of a perceived difference is still tricky even for professionals (and I don't mean golden-ear "reviewers", most of whom wouldn't know the meaning of the word professional).

The placebo effect and other cognitive biases affect us on a constant basis. The taste of food is influenced by how the food looks (hence the importance of presentation in expensive restaurants). Wine tasting is another classic example of super obvious differences in quality between the cheap and the expensive, until you do a double-blind test and suddenly nobody knows what they are drinking.

On the subject of electronics used to play back music: I get a helluva lot better sound out of my Ayre V3, Audio Research LS2, Cambridge Audio transport, Denafrips DAC and Aerial speakers than I would out of a boom box.

Trust your ears: i do.

I've been into audio since my teens and as my ability to afford it grew so has the quality of my audio gear: careful matching of components yields quantifiable results.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Thanks Monet - the stuffy Ms. Lofgren was priceless.

3 minutes and 40 seconds is 2 minutes too long, but still funny...

3 minutes and 40 seconds is 2 minutes too long, but still funny...

Exceptional (I'm glad I watched it before it gets removed by Youtube). Thanks for posting Monet.
    Last edited by tableplay; 05-28-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Very solid - thanks for posting.

I about had a mental breakdown as this song came on the radio the other day.
    Yes, I still listen to the radio in my vehicle for that "experience".
    I knew it from the first note.
    Joy and Sadness at the same time.
    Loved the 80s.
    Beats the shit out of that Adele.

I about had a mental breakdown as this song came on the radio the other day.
    Yes, I still listen to the radio in my vehicle for that "experience".
    I knew it from the first note.
    Joy and Sadness at the same time.
    Loved the 80s.
    Beats the shit out of that Adele.
    Thanks for posting that. The crossbow figures prominently in that Sheena Easton Bond installment IIRC - she did a great job; wonderful song. When I first heard the Skyfall Bond theme song (and forever thereafter even as I type this post), I couldn't believe how horrible it was and how they didn't just get another singer since it was so incredibly shitty. A decade or so later roughly, when Dan kept talking about the tragedy that Adele was cancelling her concert tour due to some illness, I wondered just who the fuck Adele is - I mean she must be awfully good for Dan to get so upset about it. Then, when you mentioned that it was Adele that sung it, I realized that it made sense that I didn't know who she was before that and that it must be some sort of a hipster fashion statement to pretend to like someone that terrible.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks for posting that. The crossbow figures prominently in that Sheena Easton Bond installment IIRC - she did a great job; wonderful song. When I first heard the Skyfall Bond theme song (and forever thereafter even as I type this post), I couldn't believe how horrible it was and how they didn't just get another singer since it was so incredibly shitty. A decade or so later roughly, when Dan kept talking about the tragedy that Adele was cancelling her concert tour due to some illness, I wondered just who the fuck Adele is - I mean she must be awfully good for Dan to get so upset about it. Then, when you mentioned that it was Adele that sung it, I realized that it made sense that I didn't know who she was before that and that it must be some sort of a hipster fashion statement to pretend to like someone that terrible.
    Yeah, I guess some people just like Adele and hate not having their slave made phones at a Garth Brooks concert.
    I've never really known or been a fan of Adele.
    I searched out some of her songs and she had two that I recognized but didn't realize they were hers.
    Not horrible but I don't search her songs out and they do not resonate with me.

I went back to relisten to SkyFall's Official Video.
    It started out pretty darn good.
    Felt like they were trying to recreate the Original Bond Vibe.
    But it didn't take long for the song to go off the rails for me.
    She does some goofy things with her voice trying to range the notes or something.
    And the song really loses it for me when they add in the chorus singers.
    Or whatever they are doing there.
    I dunno, not the worst but it just gets out of control and unravels for me.
    Lot's of people love it.
    Probably a nostalgic age group you have to belong to.
    Supposedly, Adele 's ballad became one of the best-selling singles of all time, and won an Oscar
    But does that mean it's the best or just marketed at the right time in the right era?
    I read a list that put her at 16th and that makes more sense.
    So many other Great Bond Themes.
    Too Many to list and break down.
    Kind of hard to beat Goldfinger in my opinion.
    And you got greats like Nancy Sinatra, Paul McCartney (Wings), Carly Simon, Tina Turner, Duran Duran... etc. etc.
    Heck, Shirley Bassey sang three of them for goodness sake!

Yeah, I guess some people just like Adele and hate not having their slave made phones at a Garth Brooks concert.
    I've never really known or been a fan of Adele.
    I searched out some of her songs and she had two that I recognized but didn't realize they were hers.
    Not horrible but I don't search her songs out and they do not resonate with me.

I went back to relisten to SkyFall's Official Video.
    It started out pretty darn good.
    Felt like they were trying to recreate the Original Bond Vibe.
    But it didn't take long for the song to go off the rails for me.
    She does some goofy things with her voice trying to range the notes or something.
    And the song really loses it for me when they add in the chorus singers.
    Or whatever they are doing there.
    I dunno, not the worst but it just gets out of control and unravels for me.
    Lot's of people love it.
    Probably a nostalgic age group you have to belong to.
    Supposedly, Adele 's ballad became one of the best-selling singles of all time, and won an Oscar
    But does that mean it's the best or just marketed at the right time in the right era?
    I read a list that put her at 16th and that makes more sense.
    So many other Great Bond Themes.
    Too Many to list and break down.
    Kind of hard to beat Goldfinger in my opinion.
    And you got greats like Nancy Sinatra, Paul McCartney (Wings), Carly Simon, Tina Turner, Duran Duran... etc. etc.
    Heck, Shirley Bassey sang three of them for goodness sake!
    Yes. My favorite was Spy Who Loved Me by Carly Simon. It stands on its own and needs no Bond theme attached to it. Close 2nd with Live and Let Die.

Yes. My favorite was Spy Who Loved Me by Carly Simon. It stands on its own and needs no Bond theme attached to it. Close 2nd with Live and Let Die.
    I thought for sure your favorite would of been Gladys Knight and or Tina Turner!
    Not Funk but a flavor of Soul Music.
    Goldfinger (Song) still has to be the best.
    I don't see how it can be beat.
    It literally screams to you that you're about to watch a Bond Movie.
    Many people do rate Live and Let Die as the best, but it doesn't scream Bond to me like Goldfinger.
    This is all subjective anyways.
    You like what you like.

P.S. -- On Her Majesty's Secret Service is still the best Bond Movie ever made.
    Too Bad George Lazenby blew it as he refused to sign the contract.
    He was an inch away from taking the reins away from Connery for good.
    Connery is the best Bond overall though and as you know I do love me some Remington Steele.
    Last edited by monet; 06-24-2023 at 11:19 PM.

I thought for sure your favorite would of been Gladys Knight and or Tina Turner!
    Many people do rate Live and Let Die as the best, but it doesn't scream Bond to me like Goldfinger.
    You like what you like.

Connery is the best Bond overall though and as you know I do love me some Remington Steele.
    Goldfinger definitely was the Bondiest song. I thought View to a Kill was a pretty good song also (Duran Duran). On Her Majesty's Secret Service was excellent - Bond got married in that one as you know. It's hard for me to pick a favorite Bond movie as I have enjoyed many of them. Diamond's Are Forever is way up there for me and so is Live and Let Die. Maybe the Spy Who Love Me/Moonraker two-movie combo is my favorite (Jaws was my favorite Bond assassin).

You like what you like.

Goldfinger definitely was the Bondiest song. I thought View to a Kill was a pretty good song also (Duran Duran). On Her Majesty's Secret Service was excellent - Bond got married in that one as you know. It's hard for me to pick a favorite Bond movie as I have enjoyed many of them. Diamond's Are Forever is way up there for me and so is Live and Let Die. Maybe the Spy Who Love Me/Moonraker two-movie combo is my favorite (Jaws was my favorite Bond assassin).
    I like any Bond Movie where Bond is slapping around some woman lol.
    I just finished up For Your Eyes Only.
    It's Free on YouTube in like 13 parts.
    Anyways, he literally decks a woman in that movie lol.
    This isn't politically correct but I find that shit humorous for some odd reason.
    I guess because it's super realistic.

Thread Information