Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: song reco

Welp, this has to be revisited as I think I have mentioned this song before on this website.
    Anyways, it goes along with the Movie Reco Theme the last few days.
    Plenty of different versions on YouTube but this one combines David Letterman with Billy Joel.
    Arguably one of Billy Joel's best songs and certainly his most unknown or underrated song that rocks and has clever lyrics.

No Man's Land 1993

Give us this day our daily discount outlet merchandise
    Raise up a multiplex and we will make a sacrifice

Talk about an Atheist stealing from the bible and reworking it into his song.
    I like the irony.
    And I certainly enjoy the song.
    He Fucked up the ending/last lyric in this version though.
    Horrible!
    I prefer the version where he just abruptly ends the song with a forceful Here in No Mans Land.
    Which I can't seem to find anymore.
    Must of been my imagination.

Last edited by monet; 06-14-2022 at 06:01 PM.

My seven year old grandson introduced me to this disturbing song he and his friends enjoy listening to.

What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    My seven year old grandson introduced me to this disturbing song he and his friends enjoy listening to.

They probably play that one a lot at Voodoo Donuts in your neck of the woods. As well as at Comet Ping Pong pizza in DC.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I always really enjoyed their signature song, In a Big Country, since it first came out - I appreciate you posting some of their other material I haven't heard before.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    I always really enjoyed their signature song, In a Big Country, since it first came out - I appreciate you posting some of their other material I haven't heard before.
    The Crossing is a pretty darn good album.
    ITV > BBC I suppose?

Since you are deep into Funk I think you would enjoy most of their work as it certainly has Funk elements.

Critic Kurt Loder of Rolling Stone gave the album a glowing review, writing:

Here's a big-noise guitar band from Britain that blows the knobs off all the synth-pop diddlers and fake-funk frauds who are cluttering up the charts these days. Big Country mops up the fops with an air-raid guitar sound that's unlike anything else around, anywhere ... Like the Irish band U2 (with whom they share young, guitar-wise producer Steve Lillywhite), Big Country has no use for synthesizers, and their extraordinary twin-guitar sound should make The Crossing a must-own item for rock die-hards.

The Crossing is a pretty darn good album.
    ITV > BBC I suppose?

Since you are deep into Funk I think you would enjoy most of their work as it certainly has Funk elements.

Critic Kurt Loder of Rolling Stone gave the album a glowing review, writing:

Here's a big-noise guitar band from Britain that blows the knobs off all the synth-pop diddlers and fake-funk frauds who are cluttering up the charts these days. Big Country mops up the fops with an air-raid guitar sound that's unlike anything else around, anywhere ... Like the Irish band U2 (with whom they share young, guitar-wise producer Steve Lillywhite), Big Country has no use for synthesizers, and their extraordinary twin-guitar sound should make The Crossing a must-own item for rock die-hards.
    I don't think I have had enough exposure to ITV to make that call Monet, but it sounds reasonable. Thanks for The Crossing reco - I look forward to listening to tracks on that album. It's interesting how there are a number of non-funk bands (or not primarily funk) with heavy funk elements like Shakatak and Daft Punk.

Band = bad company
    Album = Bad Company
    Song = BAD COMPANY!

One song isn't enough.
    Listen to the Full Album (1974).

Ooops... nevermind... lol... EDIT.
    I'm obviously way behind the times.

Last edited by monet; 07-16-2022 at 01:35 PM.

I could ramble on and on about this song versus the music video but I won't.
    You'll never see this sort of thing ever again because it isn't cost effective.
    Shades of the Matrix before the Matrix perhaps?
    Shades mind you, Shades.

I could ramble on and on about this song versus the music video but I won't.
    You'll never see this sort of thing ever again because it isn't cost effective.
    Shades of the Matrix before the Matrix perhaps?
    Shades mind you, Shades.

Damn good song Monet. I've always liked this extended version of the song even more than the radio version which is excellent in and of itself. Roundabout is another amazing song from this band.

What's shakin TP & Monet?

I know coors light brought this oldie back in an ad.
    76'....Shitty prez but good music.
    Today, shitty music and the worst prez.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HhiQbp7Wkiq5AT

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    What's shakin TP & Monet?

I know coors light brought this oldie back in an ad.
    76'....Shitty prez but good music.
    Today, shitty music and the worst prez.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HhiQbp7Wkiq5AT
    No complaints Danny, thanks for asking. I hope you're having a great summer so far. Yes that's a tight groove from Roy - thanks for posting. Best xylophonist on the planet. Here's my all time favorite from this jazz funk super star (and then below that for honorable mention in a tie with Everybody Loves the Sunshine is Don't Stop Feeling):

Forgot about this one.
    Bout sums it up...

How to backstab your friends and steal 30 million dollars...

How to backstab your friends and steal 30 million dollars...
    Thanks Monet. I recently saw Denis Leary in a Miracle Ear Mini hearing commercial (made in 2021) while watching television. He appears on the right side with respect to the viewer:
    https://www.ispot.tv/ad/t9dw/miracle...rah-short-hair (video of commercial)

(snapshot from commercial)
    Name:  cYrTMGP.png
Views: 198
Size:  288.7 KB
    Last edited by tableplay; 08-14-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Monet. I recently saw Denis Leary in a Miracle Ear Mini hearing commercial (made in 2021) while watching television. He appears on the right side with respect to the viewer:
    Thanks.
    I still like Denis Leary and the persona/character he created.
    It certainly seems clear that Leary stole from his one time buddy Hicks but Leary did it better.
    This type of theft and backstabbing happens all the time in every industry, trade, workplace or friendships.
    I haven't researched Leary enough to know if his persona is real or fake compared to his real life actions and thoughts.
    I tend to think it might be a combination of real life persona and fake.
    It seems pretty obvious that Bill Burr borrowed from the same style and or persona.
    I used to like and relate to Bill Burrs Act until I found out it was just an act.
    That Fucking guy is such a phony on stage compared to his real life thoughts and actions.
    I completely lost all respect for Bill Burr several years ago and borderline on hate when I see anything to do with him.
    He is literally the epitome of Phony and keeps getting away with it with his audience.
    His bit about Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tiger Woods was spot on but I highly doubt he actually thinks and feels that way.
    It really is just an act.
    Fucking Phony!

Thanks.
    I still like Denis Leary and the persona/character he created.
    It certainly seems clear that Leary stole from his one time buddy Hicks but Leary did it better.
    This type of theft and backstabbing happens all the time in every industry, trade, workplace or friendships.
    I haven't researched Leary enough to know if his persona is real or fake compared to his real life actions and thoughts.
    I tend to think it might be a combination of real life persona and fake.
    It seems pretty obvious that Bill Burr borrowed from the same style and or persona.
    I used to like and relate to Bill Burrs Act until I found out it was just an act.
    That Fucking guy is such a phony on stage compared to his real life thoughts and actions.
    I completely lost all respect for Bill Burr several years ago and borderline on hate when I see anything to do with him.
    He is literally the epitome of Phony and keeps getting away with it with his audience.
    His bit about Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tiger Woods was spot on but I highly doubt he actually thinks and feels that way.
    It really is just an act.
    Fucking Phony!
    Great points. One of the reasons Dave Chappelle is one of my favorite comedians is because he is not putting on a fake persona. What you see is what you get. The other reason is because he is one funny mother fucker.

Thread Information