Thread: Thank you Eddie Van Halen

Rest in Peace Eddie. Although I mostly listen to funk, disco funk and jazz funk, I really appreciated your genius on the guitar and the great songs you made with your band.

Stripes (1981)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Stripes (1981)
    IIRC, around 1980 people were burning their disco records in the States. However in Italy and much of the rest of Europe I think disco remained popular well into the mid-80s. As for disco funk, it is hard to track due to its obscurity as a sparse genre.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    IIRC, around 1980 people were burning their disco records in the States. However in Italy and much of the rest of Europe I think disco remained popular well into the mid-80s. As for disco funk, it is hard to track due to its obscurity as a sparse genre.
    I'm not disagreeing with you.
    I tend to like plenty of disco music.
    Heck, I listen to the original Disco Music which I would consider the 40s.
    (Swing, Big band and Jazz)
    From what I understand it was actually the first pop music or disco before disco existed.

I just think of that shirt and movie when I hear disco.
    I also think about that Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in Chicago.

Your OP/Topic was about the death of Eddie Van Halen.
    I felt that the shirt/picture went along with what he would of worn.
    A bit of irony as well as he may have chosen Death before Disco.
    It also goes along with our long running movie interests.

Speaking of Movies... I caught another 80s movie last night that goes along with gambling, hustling, AP and perhaps the Matt Dillon converstation.
    "The Pick-Up Artist" (1987)

Robert Downey Jr. before he fixed his teeth.
    Molly Ringwald at the end of her prime.

It goes along with your Neve Cambell question.
    Hollywood just uses people till they get older and can't use them anymore.
    Sort of like Running Backs and the NFL.
    They are a dime a dozen.

On paper, both women have about 10 to 11 million dollars to their name.
    I hardly feel bad for either of them.
    They had a good run.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you.
    I tend to like plenty of disco music.
    Heck, I listen to the original Disco Music which I would consider the 40s.
    (Swing, Big band and Jazz)
    From what I understand it was actually the first pop music or disco before disco existed.

I just think of that shirt and movie when I hear disco.
    I also think about that Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in Chicago.

Your OP/Topic was about the death of Eddie Van Halen.
    I felt that the shirt/picture went along with what he would of worn.
    A bit of irony as well as he may have chosen Death before Disco.
    It also goes along with our long running movie interests.

Speaking of Movies... I caught another 80s movie last night that goes along with gambling, hustling, AP and perhaps the Matt Dillon converstation.
    "The Pick-Up Artist" (1987)

Robert Downey Jr. before he fixed his teeth.
    Molly Ringwald at the end of her prime.

It goes along with your Neve Cambell question.
    Hollywood just uses people till they get older and can't use them anymore.
    Sort of like Running Backs and the NFL.
    They are a dime a dozen.

On paper, both women have about 10 to 11 million dollars to their name.
    I hardly feel bad for either of them.
    They had a good run.
    Hi Monet great points. Yes, I figured you weren't disagreeing with me with you when you initially posted the Stripes picture - I thought it was an interesting factoid regarding the continued popularity of disco outside the states through the mid 80's (you may have already been aware of this but I doubt it is widely known stateside; Italo-disco comes to mind). Recall the movie the Last Days of Disco (stateside at least), which I might have already mentioned - I thought it was an excellent period piece. It's been quite some time since I saw the Pick-Up Artist, but I enjoyed it. Another movie I saw which was just before Molly Ringwald could no longer be milked was Pretty in Pink. Andrew McCarthy, another fading brat-packer, was in this one too.

For now I leave you with this:

It's funny TP, having grown up in a very diverse neighborhood in So. Cal, almost by default I was raised on soul and funk music. From the days of Sly and Family Stone, Ohio Players, O'Jays to the Bar-Kays, Lakeside, GQ, and the Gap Band to name a few. And while I still love em and have soul channels bookmarked in my truck on sirius xm, I'm just as likely to be tuned in to classic rock like Van Halen & Skynryd. I missed the boat on those growing up.

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    It's funny TP, having grown up in a very diverse neighborhood in So. Cal, almost by default I was raised on soul and funk music. From the days of Sly and Family Stone, Ohio Players, O'Jays to the Bar-Kays, Lakeside, GQ, and the Gap Band to name a few. And while I still love em and have soul channels bookmarked in my truck on sirius xm, I'm just as likely to be tuned in to classic rock like Van Halen & Skynryd. I missed the boat on those growing up.
    Great point Danny - I really like pretty much all the songs from Van Halen's first album. Oddly my favorite GQ song isn't the super popular Disco Nights, but rather this gem (IMHO) called Shake which you may have heard from time to time over the years:

Originally Posted by dannyj View Post
    Great point Danny - I really like pretty much all the songs from Van Halen's first album. Oddly my favorite GQ song isn't the super popular Disco Nights, but rather this gem (IMHO) called Shake which you may have heard from time to time over the years:

Yeah that one is fairly obscure. Haven’t heard that in years.
    Thanks TP.

Thread Information