Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Grandpa's Newell

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    Guys like Singer and MDawg seem cut from the same cloth: guys whose reach exceeds their grasp.

You know the type: bozos who believe that the true measure of success in this crazy world is having a lot of money and material possessions.
    Yeah, there is a few of these guys on every forum. Something about these two though. The lengths they go to with the fake and phony pictures. And all the nasty name calling to go with it. I am not an expert, but it just seems that crosses into some sort of mental illness.

I got news for ya, guys: once you get to a comfortable level in life any additional money is superfluous.
    I live off of about 35-40k a year, which is about half of what I make. And I live very comfortably. Nice home, currently a 2 bedroom high rise condo with nice views if you love Vegas which I do. Newer model vehicle less than 2 years old. I manage to have everything I want and need. Just a nice comfortable life. Recently MaxPen posted how most AP's live a rather modest life, and I was struck by how true that is of the AP's I know of. So as soon as you start reading these claims, of RV's and all the high end stuff, the BS alarm just starts ringing.

What is more relevant to gauging true success is who you are and how you act, not what your have: but I digress.
    I think you left something important out here, MrV. Friends and family and how they view and love you. I am kind of an introvert. I don't make or have a lot of friends. Just a handful of close friends and family and a few more casual friends. But here is something for you.

After I relocated to Las Vegas, my best friend and partner (later married) picked up and followed. I didn't ask him to. And this is a guy who had deep roots in Philadelphia, many friends and family, children from his first marriage.

When my younger brother graduated college, rather than return to his parents home in Florida, he chose to move across country to be near me and lay down roots in Vegas.

When my mother divorced, she chose to move across country to start over in Vegas, to be near my brother and I.

One of my brothers friends from high school, who I have become quite close to, just recently relocated to Las Vegas at my invite. He was able to transfer his job, and left where he grew up and all his friends.

I feel truly blessed, but doesn't that say something when people choose to be near you and want you as part of their life.

Anyway, carry on.

Add on: I suspect that is the real thing missing from some of these guys life. Not that they don't have some friends and family. But people that love you so much that they would do anything for you. I sincerely wish that kind of love for everyone. When you have that, nothing else much matters.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

gauging true success is who you are and how you act
    Then you are guaged to be as successful as a hyena.

Originally Posted by coach belly View Post
    I'd rather be a predator than prey.

*CHOMP*
    What, Me Worry?

Watch out for MisterV. He knows his animals. Turns him on. Ha.

Yes, it is true that lions eat hyenas but it isn't a common thing. Lions end up killing hyenas to cut down the competition for food. Lions see hyenas and other apex predators as a threat to their territory and life which explains why lions kill them. It is important to note that lions don't kill hyenas to eat them.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

*CHOMP*
    It's OK to be what you'd rather be...preying upon road kill, and laughing all the way to the toilet.

I'm sure you're doing the best that you can.

*CHOMP*
    It's OK to be what you'd rather be...preying upon road kill, and laughing all the way to the toilet.

I'm sure you're doing the best that you can.

LOL. Sorry, coach, see this is what I mean by you expounding regarding things you know nothing about.

Did you know that lions are more likely to steal hyenas' kills than the other way around? While some hyenas are mostly scavengers, spotted hyenas (the kind found in most African docs) are considered co-apex predators and actively kill the majority of their meals.

Hyenas do kill people, by the way.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Did you know that lions are more likely to steal hyenas' kills than the other way around?
    On Mars, maybe...did you use your tinfoil hat to receive that information from your spaceship?

But listen here Marlin Perkins...I wasn't referring to spotted hyenas, I was talking about
    the Pacific Coast male pattern balded white-haired flabby blabby hyena.

They'd rather be a predator, but the best they can do is to feed on road kill.
    Last edited by coach belly; 01-27-2021 at 02:42 PM.

*devours coach belly*

Tastes like chicken.
    What, Me Worry?

Sorry, coach, see this is what I mean by you expounding regarding things you know nothing about.
    I recall that Mendelson called you an "internet menace" or something like that. Ha.

I don't recall who called you "pesky".

Shut it down, pesky Redietz... an expert on most things.--->

One-hit wonders in the United States.

https://anagram-solver.net/shut%20it...s?partial=true

Ah, it just hit me, while I was making some supper, for us.

Look what happens without "pesky".

Shut it down, Redietz, an expert on most things. --->

Inside Out Sports & Entertainment.

https://anagram-solver.net/shut%20it...s?partial=true
    Last edited by Garnabby; 01-27-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Garnabby,

Remember Sgt. Dietrich on Barney Miller? That was me, using a cleverly disguised German name.

So has Rob claimed to have sold the camper? If he did I missed it.
    Take off that stupid mask you big baby.

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    He sold it in a day (of course). He didn't post the bill of sale here (of course), but rumor has it he got a helluva deal. Forty magic beans and the right to say "Fee, fi, fo, fum" for the next year without paying royalties.

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    He sold it in a day (of course). He didn't post the bill of sale here (of course), but rumor has it he got a helluva deal. Forty magic beans and the right to say "Fee, fi, fo, fum" for the next year without paying royalties.
    When Singer announced that the RV would be going for sale between such and such a date and that MaxPen and anyone else interested could view it then, it was almost a guarantee that anyone who attempted to set up a viewing would be met with an "oh I already sold it" excuse. That was going to be Singer's out.

Now if he really owned an RV he would have obviously said the RV is going up for sale on xx date, so you can come view it a day or two before that. Rob's "oh I already sold it" excuse, guarantees that there never was an RV.

It is like I said several times now. This guy isn't even a good troll anymore. You can see his scams coming a mile away.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

He claims he sold it to a seemingly mysterious Israeli.

Apparently there's a real shortage of Newells in the Holy Land.
    What, Me Worry?

Yeah, sight unseen, the guy wired half a million.

Now that said, in 2009, I was planning to relocate to Las Vegas. I didn't have a set time. So I would periodically be checking real estate sites, looking for a bargain on a condo close to the strip. It was just after the real estate crash, so there were lots of foreclosures and short sales. Several of the sites had live auctions. I bid on a property in a highrise, just off the strip. I made a rather low bid, 87 grand, a fraction of which these properties went for when they sold as new just 3 years earlier, which was the 300k range. To my surprise my bid held up throughout the auction, meaning I had bought a property, sight unseen, although there had been a virtual showing and I knew the building and area. Within a month, I was living in Las Vegas. All my friends thought I was crazy buying a condo, sight unseen, but it worked out for me.

Now despite my experience, I can't imagine a buyer purchasing a 500k RV without seeing it. If nothing else you would want to check out the engine and/or have a mechanic check out the engine. Plus the floors could be rotted out under the carpet, which pictures wouldn't show. Of course Singer had no pictures of interior in his ad. Someone purchasing that RV in 1 day, sight unseen, and wiring the money, sight unseen, is a joke and everyone knows it.

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

Now that said, in 2009, I was planning to relocate to Las Vegas. I didn't have a set time. So I would periodically be checking real estate sites, looking for a bargain on a condo close to the strip. It was just after the real estate crash, so there were lots of foreclosures and short sales. Several of the sites had live auctions. I bid on a property in a highrise, just off the strip. I made a rather low bid, 87 grand, a fraction of which these properties went for when they sold as new just 3 years earlier, which was the 300k range. To my surprise my bid held up throughout the auction, meaning I had bought a property, sight unseen, although there had been a virtual showing and I knew the building and area. Within a month, I was living in Las Vegas. All my friends thought I was crazy buying a condo, sight unseen, but it worked out for me.

That's in interesting story. I would like to hear more about it. You bought the place? Was it nice, better or worst than expected, how my bedrooms and square feet ? Why did you sell it? Did you make a nice profit? I'm contemplating buying a fixer upper 4 plex or something here in Vegas with my Nephew as an investment.

Remember Sgt. Dietrich on Barney Miller? That was me, using a cleverly disguised German name.
    Well, this last bit brings us to the irreducible nuts and bolts (of silliness). My hat off to Red, I will cut to the chase, and, then, directly to the song, which follows.

Shut it down, Remember Sgt. Dietrich on Barney Miller? That was me, using a cleverly disguised German name. --->

The Indivisible Remainder: Essays on Schelling and Related Matters

I'm Beginning to See the Light (David Grisman and Martin Taylor)

https://anagram-solver.net/shut%20it....?partial=true

Well, I think, the second song is better, so, here it is. Call it the theme song to, "The Singer RV story: through the eyes of the ones who really knew him."

I bet Rob originally acquired the Newell sight unseen. It's how he rolls.

Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post

That's in interesting story. I would like to hear more about it. You bought the place? Was it nice, better or worst than expected, how my bedrooms and square feet ? Why did you sell it? Did you make a nice profit?
    Ok, here is the details. The building was the Platinum, a highrise at the corner of Flamingo and Kovel behind Bally's. The Platinum is what is called a condominium hotel, which usually means, people buy and own the units individually, but they cannot live there permanently. There is usually some maximum number of days that you can stay there, like 60. When not staying in the unit themselves, owners have the option to put the unit back into the pool, that is rented out and receive a monetary credit that goes to and can offset the monthly homeowners fee. I believe the Trump Property in Las Vegas is similarly a condo hotel.

The building opened in 2006, but after the crash in 2009, there were like 40-50 units on the market that had been foreclosed or were short selling, so management decided to disregard the "no residency clause" and allow people to live in the units like a regular condo. My condo was an upper floor, facing the strip and looking between Bally's and Paris, I could catch just a little view of the Bellagio fountains. And being a hotel, there was room service available, dry cleaning service and a restaurant and bar. My unit was 1150 square feet which consisted of a bedroom with king size bed and living room that had a pullout sofa, kitchen, bath, and balcony. I absolutely loved it.

I never did put my unit into the pool to be rented out, but starting the second year, I would rent out my unit privately several times a year, on New Years Eve, Valentine's Weekend, and the first weekend of March Madness, which usually fell on or near St Patrick's day. Renting out privately, rather than putting the unit back in the pool for these 3 weekends, would cover my homeowners fees for the entire year.

So there were about 3 dozen units where people were living permanently, like I was. So several years later, after the real estate market settled and under new management, Those of us that lived there permanently received a notice that the occupancy restriction was back in effect and we could only stay there 60 nights out of the year. About 2 dozen of us got together and hired an attorney, because we all had it in writing that we could live in our units. They made offers to buy us out and it went back and forth, some sold, and finally the day before going to court, they upped their offer to me and I sold. And yes, I made a pretty good profit, but really, I would have liked to just continue to live there.

I read this and I just become immensely sad.

What Rob portrays then the reality of his life... so different.

He's older, didn't ever keep ahold of any money. I run into these guys in life. 65+ and broke. SS barely covers anything, all living on that edge of not quite homeless. No property - usually a car. Rob and his wife (lovely lady) lives in the frontyard inside his broken down RV that was towed to his daughter's driveway. Living mostly off macaroni and P&J sandwiches. His daughter invites him in, but the man of the house (aka son-in-law) is perpetually perturbed at Rob's bumming meals and insisting at eating at the table with them. However, his daughter still feels great pity for Rob. Rob always gave her attention when he was around. When flush with food stamps - once or twice a year - Rob buys some steaks and cooks them. He must repeat some variation of "A man should eat well" line 20 times during these ordeals.

On the internet though Rob thinks he can be someone. He comes up with grandiose stories full of so much bullshit they're seen as nonsense by every sharp forum poster. Yet it doesn't dissuade Rob. A stupid man doesn't have the capacity to understand what they don't understand. Rob sincrely believes he is going to pull the wool over someone's eye, just for the equivalent of a grain of respect. He just wants to be seen as someone. The sort of man who drives around in a Newell. Sadly in his actual life he has nothing else to offer anyone.... except for a P&J sandwich and a cramped placed to sit in a pop-up.

Just the pointlessness of his life. The bleakness. The sadness. The people hurt by his gambling problems and pathological lying. That $40 he spent on the ad could have given him a shot to take his wife to their yearly steak and dinner deal in downtown LV. Where they tow their pop-up every year and dutifully park it at the Circus Circus. Rob comes alive though and manages to go through all the cash they have available. On a good year, he doesn't get into the credit cards. These days his wife keeps them and Rob has come to understand if he does it again, she WILL leave him. Unfortunately for her it is mostly bluster, because it is clear she has no better option. What sort of woman would want to live in a RV, where they're but tolerated guests parked in the frontyard. The neighbors not happy because the RV hasn't moved in years and it really does impact the neighborhood. They have pity though. They feel for the old man in a broken down RV who tells endless stories of his "glory days."
    Last edited by accountinquestion; 01-29-2021 at 01:29 AM.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Thread Information