Originally Posted by MDawg View Post
One thing I'm curious about - my general impression, is that they are comp'ing more right now than pre-pandemic.

We stayed twelve nights at that first resort in an 1850 square foot suite that, I checked, was about $600. a night (estimating - that particular level of suite we were in does not show as available for booking because it is top tier, but the 1500 square foot suite that is just below it is around $450. a night). This is less than half of what that suite cost per night pre-pandemic, as all room rates are much lower these days at least at that resort, but anyway, figure $600. a night. Then we also added resort fee to the stay, which is another $50. a night. All this was comp'ed up front.

P.S. I did not come in and say "hey guys we're staying twelve nights." We booked for five, then kept extending a few days at a time. I've always done it that way.

The spa that she had comp'ed was around $1000.

We were pretty cheap dates this time around, but still, food daily was average $150. (partly because sometimes we just got food from places that took cash only no room charge, such as off-property). So that's another $1800.

Total comps would be in the neighborhood then of $10,600. if I am estimating the room price correctly (based on rack rate). That's a good 30% of my theoretical loss, more than 30% actually. That's a very solid comp, especially considering that I won, and more than I expected actually. I was actually a little surprised that both resorts comp'ed all spa services - didn't even need to ask actually.

Maybe they are trying hard to reel in the high rollers right now.

Compare this to that stay a couple years ago, not at this resort but another one that is probably not even quite as top tier, but definitely up there, where after we stayed two weeks the host refused to pick up about $800. as I recall in remaining food and spa, after comp'ing the suite and most of the food. Host said, "NOBODY stays two weeks at the ______." (That two year or so ago trip ended up winning a fair amount though, so maybe host was looking at that, but the win shouldn't matter, the theo loss should.) Yet this trip, I got the impression that the host would have let us stay even longer. I mean, whenever I asked for another three days I kept wording it in terms of "If you don't mind...." and the response was so easy going that I understood it to mean that we could have stayed longer.
I guess if I could help it, it might be better to book as least nights as possible and have it extended as needed. As I should definitely have enough play to qualify. It's not like I get a great room either, i'm not rich. I just get standard rooms, my only preference is a low floor near the elevator. I don't want to walk as much