Thread: Bank of America changes its ATM procedures

Bank of America has changed the way it operates some of its ATMs and I am sure that if this change hasn't been made to the ATM's you use, the change will be made soon.

In the past, you insert your ATM card and then conducted your transactions -- deposits, withdrawals, etc. And then when your transactions were complete, you would end your transaction to get your card returned from the ATM.

I know that several people forgot to retrieve their card. I've been in line at ATMs and had to remind the bank customer who was in front of me that they had left their ATM card in the machine -- and their account was active.

Well, the new ATM procedure has you insert your card -- the card is read and then pops out for you to take -- and then you have to enter your PIN. That's a pretty good idea because it cuts down on the chance that you will leave your card in the machine.

However, the new procedure leads to another problem. When your transactions are finished you must press "Done" or your accounts will still be open.

My wife and I last night went to our local B of A to use the ATMs. I was on one ATM and my wife was on the one next to mine. And as she finished her deposit she turned and started walking away from the ATM. That's when I told her she had to press "Done" to close the access to her account.

BofA does have a screen that reminds you to press "Done" but they need something more powerful and forceful to remind customers to close access to their accounts when they are finished. A bigger screen notice would help as would some signage next to the ATMs.

I can just imagine someone forgetting to close their account after making their ATM transaction and the next person in line walks up to the ATM and starts making withdrawals.
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 03-11-2012 at 06:46 AM.

I just went back to BofA to see what would happen if I didn't press Done and tried to do another transaction. The ATM asked me to re-enter my PIN. Well this is a good safeguard. It resolves the security issue I raised. So now BofA has a system that will prevent forgetting your card in the ATM. Very good.

I wonder if WFargo is secure too...

I think with most bank ATMs the real issue is not the machine, but the environment when you use the machine:

Lighting
    Is anyone watching
    Muggers and outright theft

What makes the "news" and grabs the headlines are reports about card readers that are attached to machines to steal your ID and PIN. But I think the greatest threat is that someone near by can rob you. I am especially cautious about using ATMs and I carefully guard entering my PIN.

I make sure, first of all, that no one is too close to me so that they can see me enter my PIN. Secondly, if the area does not look safe I will not use the ATM period. Sometimes I just go into the bank and wait for a teller.

And frankly, I think that all banks should be required to have an ATM inside so that during operating hours you could use the inside ATM for safety.

Thread Information