I have read the 1040 instruction manual pertaining to line 30 "page57,and58" and all I see is contradictions. Specifically on these following two thoughts on what is considered a valid social security number.

1, On one hand, the manual says on page 57 a valid SS # includes someone who died in 2020 if you are preparing a return for that person "joint return in my case".

2, The next page describes a valid social security number is one that is valid for employment in the United States and is issued before the due date of your 2020 return(including extensions).

For me, this involves both the first and second economic impact payments. The first EIP payments were received and cashed by both my late wife and myself for a total of $2400. the second EIP payments did not come and I intend to get them through the recovery rebate credit on line 30. However, I am not sure if I can claim for both $1200 in a joint return or only for myself for $600. Plus I am not sure if I have to return $1200 for the first EIP that was received by my wife.

Actually after thinking about it both #1 and 2 of the above quotes seems like people who died in 2020 and were US citizens with a SS card are considered valid for the EIP.

Anyone have some experience in this area? I would appreciate a few thoughts thank you.