So some 1-AA college football leagues started play, with McNeese at Tarleton State the opener last week. I caught a slow number on the total, a 57 heading down with an anchor, so I bought some to 58 and took Under, and took Under 57. The total crashed before my eyes, and I saw a 54 simultaneous with the 57, so I hedged about 40% of the wager with Over 54 at -105. Meanwhile McNeese had opened -2 1/2 some places; -2 others. Some offshores would not allow the 2 1/2 to be bought up to +3 because it was a 1-AA game. So I was stuck with +2 1/2 if I wanted Tarleton. I liked McNeese (slightly), but when the line started to crash, I took the Tarleton +2 1/2. Eventually, I was able to find a McNeese +3 at the end, which I bought to +4 at -125. The total crashed to 51, so I bought it to 50 and took Over 50 for the remainder of my total hedge.

Bottom line: I had Under 58 and Under 57, and Over 50. I had Tarleton +2 1/2 and McNeese +4.

Down 31-17, McNeese scored with three minutes left to make it 31-24. I had the total middled. They had one timeout, so they onside kicked. The ball didn't go 10 yards, but Tarleton touched it, and McNeese recovered. McNeese threw a pick, but it was called back by roughing the passer. McNeese faced fourth-and-three. They converted, then scored with under a minute to play. My total middle bit the dust. They decided to not go for two, which would have middled the side. Instead, the game went to OT, where Tarleton lost by three.

Helluva way to open spring 1-AA football. I lost about a hundred dollars on the various machinations, and it was both comical and brutal. The line moves had been correct, but they both lost. The books made serious money with two five-point line moves biting the dust.