Originally Posted by smurgerburger View Post
Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
I forgot to comment on Space Ace and the Dragon's Lair games. I was more of a freestyle player and never got good at these because it seemed like it was all rote memorization rather than just pure eye-hand coordination. But I see the appeal and I vividly recall the amazing graphics.
I always hated Dragon's Lair for that reason. It looked great but it was such an absurd quarter muncher. I don't think I ever passed more than one or two screens.
Due to the success of the Dragons Lair I and II series and Space Ace coin-op disc games from Cinematronics, Atari decided to get into the laser disc coin-op game market and I remember seeing this jet fighter laser disc game (based on the Firefox Clint Eastwood movie I guess) in the arcade back when it was new (the big difference was Atari made free form laser disc games - not the memorize-the-move that gets you to the next animation screen Dragons Lair type game). Unfortunately, the other laser disc coin-op games that Atari made were ones that I never encountered at the arcade - probably because I was too busy playing pinball all the time.