Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charming Pinball Museum saved after raising over $200k in donations

This is what happened to us 80's kids lol lol lol.
    You end up in some dark corner somewhere trying to score 100 Million Points for your 5th time on the 35th year anniversary of Robotron 2084 lol.
    Kind of Sad, Kind of Funny, 100% Crazy but I can relate.
    Oh and he is doing it on the original 1982 Yellow ROMset which has a fatal flaw that can reset the game back to zero lol.

Around the 7 minute mark he says...
    I'm gonna turn my fans on cause I'm gonna do some serious sweating here.
    This game can get pretty intense!

LOL Hilarious!
    No Shit lol.
    Around 45/50 years old.
    Overweight and trying to flip the scoreboard 10 times for his 5th time!

LOL... 3 part 7 hour videos totaling 21 hours of gameplay???
    Is that correct lol?
    I skimmed through the 3 videos and he didn't change his shirt and I couldn't find any bathroom breaks but I'm sure he took a few.
    But it does look like he played 21 hours straight for the most part.
    I thought I was obsessed and OCD lol... this guy got me beat!
    Sad enough to do this but how much more sad is it that I am watching him do it lol?
    He should of let people comment.
    I don't like turning off comments.

Last edited by monet; 05-25-2022 at 01:32 AM.

You call it Stargate.
    I call it Defender.
    But it is really Defender II.
    I never seen any girls playing this game though.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    2 Years ago Daz Cole made this post about Robotron 2084.
    Video Games and Arcades were awesome!
    Players taping up there fingers was a real thing!!
    Track and Field anyone... Hello!
    I still miss that time period.
    Williams was the Shit!!

Insert Coins made a go of it for four years at Downtown Las Vegas.
    I remember when they opened and me and my pal was leaving the El Cortel.
    Of course I went immediately back to the El Cortel and bought a couple rolls of quarters.
    That place had a very close 80's vibe or at least the arcade area.
    Not the bar and lounge area where you could rent home consoles.
    Anyways... still a great place to pop in and out of since I was downtown anyways.
    I knew it would never last but surprised it made it as long as it did.

The intro to Robotron 2084 is amazing and I like the fact that you have to read it.
    And all those flashing, changing colors!
    Those guys knew what they were doing.

I was really bad at Robotron but it didn't stop me from begging my dad for quarters while he drank beer at the corner bar.
    In those days, they didn't care if you brought your child into the bar with you lol.

Daz Cole, 2 years ago
    I spent a whole summer getting good at this until I could 'clock' it which means after 9,999,975 the score would roll over to zero. Also after Wave 255 it would go back to the very first screen. I got so good that I would have a crowd watching me but then the arcade manager would switch the machine off, and increase the difficulty setting which made me get better and better. It got so I needed to tape my fingers up because I got blisters on my 2nd fingers and then the skin would come off! MAME is great to play it again years later but it's not the same without those large joysticks! Happy memories (I'm over 50 now)!
    Thanks for the links and info Monet. The expert Robotron Youtube video you linked to made me remember that the robots themselves aren't lethal just the bullets and obstacles - it had been so long that I had forgotten that fact. I went into a pool hall to play pinball when I was young and I remember getting chased out (no adult with me) because they wouldn't allow people less than 18 years old to be in the pool hall without an adult (it's possible that I am misremembering and that it was just you couldn't play pinball in there if you were younger than 18. Too long ago). IIRC, this was circa 1979 and I was chased for about a half a block. Different times - if you got out of line an adult would just kick your ass. I'm glad the dude got tired of chasing me. I also got robbed at knife point walking home from an arcade but luckily I only had a dime on me - this was about 1980.

You call it Stargate.
    I call it Defender.
    But it is really Defender II.
    I never seen any girls playing this game though.

Eugene Jarvis is a genius and Robotron,Defender and Defender II were amazing. He did some amazing pinball work also. He created the company Raw Thrills which makes the very popular Big Buck Hunter game you would see everywhere.

Originally Posted by tableplay View Post
    Thanks for the links and info Monet. The expert Robotron Youtube video you linked to made me remember that the robots themselves aren't lethal just the bullets and obstacles - it had been so long that I had forgotten that fact.
    https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/w...84-9727124.php

I'm not sure about that.
    In that first video I think the guy was playing a different version and was using a cheat if he got down to one life.
    The second video where the guy is playing 21 hours straight seems to die whenever he runs into any enemy.
    But I could be wrong as I am unsure.
    It's pretty amazing these guys using one quarter and playing for 20 some odd hours though.
    I found an article about Dan Gomez back in 2014.
    He played 28 hours, 53 minutes and 51 seconds!
    He scored 125,010,125 points - 25 million more than the next ranked contender, Ken House.
    But I think he had some of his family members jump in and take a few turns when he ran to the bathroom.
    I'm unsure about that and the rules of the one quarter 24 hour Robotron 2084 Challenge.
    The guy named smoke4659 in that YouTube Video I linked played for 21 hours and scored 101.25 Million.
    So I think he could beat that 25 hour score if he wanted to.
    I don't think he ever moved from the machine lol.
    It's funny to see all the 40 and 50 year olds posting up world records on these arcade games now.
    The guy playing Tempest and setting the world record was pretty darn good at it.
    I guess if you are in Richardson, TX you can visit Free Play as they are trying to keep the dream alive.
    Don't get me started on Cyberball 2072!!
    This place needs the original 4 player Tecmo Bowl.

Last edited by monet; 05-25-2022 at 06:43 AM.

You have to be careful because buying shit can make you lose your mind.
    I'm about to get out of all my RC Airplane stuff again because I realize it is a never ending money pit.
    I forgot I learned that lesson about 5 years ago.
    Anyways... look at this nut lol.
    He bought one video game and lost his mind and now has 26 in his garage.
    Anytime I hear the word "hobby" I Fucking run now because all it means is money out.
    Just incase I never mentioned it, my first video game I ever played was Breakout and it was all downhill from there.

I still hear “Intruder Alert” when I think about early 80’s video games.

From Berserk

Thanks for the links and info Monet. The expert Robotron Youtube video you linked to made me remember that the robots themselves aren't lethal just the bullets and obstacles - it had been so long that I had forgotten that fact.

I'm not sure about that.
    In that first video I think the guy was playing a different version and was using a cheat if he got down to one life.
    The second video where the guy is playing 21 hours straight seems to die whenever he runs into any enemy.
    It's pretty amazing these guys using one quarter and playing for 20 some odd hours though.
    He scored 125,010,125 points - 25 million more than the next ranked contender, Ken House.
    But I think he had some of his family members jump in and take a few turns when he ran to the bathroom.
    I'm unsure about that and the rules of the one quarter 24 hour Robotron 2084 Challenge.
    The guy named smoke4659 in that YouTube Video I linked played for 21 hours and scored 101.25 Million.
    It's funny to see all the 40 and 50 year olds posting up world records on these arcade games now.
    The guy playing Tempest and setting the world record was pretty darn good at it.
    I guess if you are in Richardson, TX you can visit Free Play as they are trying to keep the dream alive.

Don't forget this. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    Due to the success of the Dragons Lair I and II series and Space Ace coin-op disc games from Cinematronics, Atari decided to get into the laser disc coin-op game market and I remember seeing this jet fighter laser disc game (based on the Firefox Clint Eastwood movie I guess) in the arcade back when it was new (the big difference was Atari made free form laser disc games - not the memorize-the-move that gets you to the next animation screen Dragons Lair type game). Unfortunately, the other laser disc coin-op games that Atari made were ones that I never encountered at the arcade - probably because I was too busy playing pinball all the time.
    Thank you for the link Tableplay. I didn't even know this existed. It seems to me that maybe these aren't available on the emulators because a laserdisc based game is a whole different beast? Most all arcade games you can download and play on MAME. (I'm sure you know this but for those who missed it.)
    No problem. I don't know why they aren't available on emulators, but your guess is probably correct. There may be laser disc emulators out there, but to build an emulator for such a small library of games (maybe 30 or 40 coin-op/arcade laser disc games in total) seems unlikely. Whereas MAME and pinMAME are justified since several thousand standard video games were made.
    It might explain why you so rarely see these games. Laserdisc players have far more moving parts than a bunch of computer chips.

There was also a game similar but you scrolled over what looked like an actual overhead picture. It wasn't first-person at all. Just total top-down view where you had to shoot stuff coming from the top of screen but there was also bombing of the things under the jets. This was one of those games I recall only seeing at one place.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

I'm not sure about that.

Confirmed Monet - the Gomez video clearly shows that you can die if you touch a robot. I guess there are different versions. The ones I encountered in the wild were the same as the Gomez software version.

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I still hear “Intruder Alert” when I think about early 80’s video games.

From Berserk

Berzerk was the bomb. I always died when I got to the level with the white robots that shot superfast bullets.

Confirmed Monet - the Gomez video clearly shows that you can die if you touch a robot. I guess there are different versions. The ones I encountered in the wild were the same as the Gomez software version.
    I messed up posting that first video link.
    I don't think that guy is playing an arcade version.
    It looks like that's a MAME Version and set to a lower difficulty.
    MAME is the same gameplay but like I say he has the difficulty set lower which is why he was going through the Hulks.
    I was highlighting that YouTube comment for the most part.
    Trying to showcase how insane it was back in the 80s and how pro players could play for hours on end with one quarter.

Also, I'm sure you notice but in the beginning of the smoke4659 video he goes into the settings to confirm the difficulty level is set to number 5.
    Is smoke4659 and Gomez the same person?
    Looks similar but unsure.
    I went back and watched some more and it does look like Gomez.
    He sure is addicted to Robotron 2084 lol.

In the 21 hour video he talked about how the difficulty level was set to 3 for the red or blue or tie dye versions.
    Something like that.
    He has a practice session video of 44 hours where he totaled up 180 Million+ lol.
    What really impresses me is how long he can wear those headphones without ear pain.

I thought I was stuck in the 80s.
    These bastards built their own time machine lol.
    Ken House rolling over 100 Million.
    I think Ken was the first to prove that you get an extra man for everything that you score points for after 99,975,000 points.
    You want to geek out some more about Robotron 2084?
    These guys talk about it in 2014 on a forum.
    Turns out the MAME Version has a pause button.
    I got to let this go.
    Too much time spent on researching Robotron for me.

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/f...p?topic=5738.0

Last edited by monet; 05-25-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Monet, you are at heart a decent old dude.

Please don’t let your anger take away from your knowledge of the 80’s and 90’s we all (ok some of us) appreciate. Your contributions are incredible.

Or Fuck you, you fat piece of shit.

I think most of us are "decent," but for some our "internet personae" gets in the way from seeing what we're really like.

Few people are truly evil.
    What, Me Worry?

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post
    I think most of us are "decent," but for some our "internet personae" gets in the way from seeing what we're really like.

100% agree V. Everyone I have meet or communicated with in “real” life are decent people.

And I can’t say anyone I have debated with on these forums is someone I wouldn’t sit down and have a soda or a beer with.

Even those who seem crazy or obsessed. And I’m sure a few consider me the same.

Ok tableplay, I missed it the first time but I went back and watched the intro to that 21 hour Robotron Video.
    And of course the first thing he said was him introducing himself as David Gomez.
    Good Catch.
    So basically he is just breaking his own World Record over and over again.
    Nothing like wasting 100,000 hours or more of your life on one video game.
    I get it.

Nothing like wasting 100,000 hours or more of your life on one video game.
    I get it.
    I basically did the same thing with pinball, so I can relate. I see that Larry Demar (one of Robotron's programmers and of course the programmer for the The Addams Family Pinball which sold over 20000 units -- and also Larry created multi-strike video poker through his company L.E.D. gaming) signed Gomez' Robotron cabiniet. Thanks again for the all the insightful info and links.

I think Ken was the first to prove that you get an extra man for everything that you score points for after 99,975,000 points.
    IIRC they pulled the same shit on Defender - I forgot the point threshold, but I think you get an extra man for every score (10 points is the minimum IIRC) after that threshold on Defender.

Originally Posted by MisterV View Post

100% agree V. Everyone I have meet or communicated with in “real” life are decent people.

And I can’t say anyone I have debated with on these forums is someone I wouldn’t sit down and have a soda or a beer with.

Even those who seem crazy or obsessed. And I’m sure a few consider me the same.
    Most people are largely driven by self-interest. A handful of people are "good" people and actually spend effort at own personal loss for the betterment of others. There are probably about as many "bad" people as their are good.

Regardless - there is absolutely no way you can tell much about a person after hanging out and having a beer with them.

You'd probably be tricked by my wiley ways and think I was an "ok guy".

To prove my point I'm going to be a nice guy until the end of the Summer.

Thread Information