Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 86 Corona

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    You would live in a van down by the river over somewhere like Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam ?
    And have my father roll around in his grave at Arlington National Cemetary?
    I wish he was around and lived with me and my wife so he would get drunk and mad and start calling her a Gook or Charlie or something.
    That would be kind of funny.
    Flashbacks and PTSD were real in my childhood.

Wow, I could not think of anything more proud than to be a son of a hero who is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Wow, I could not think of anything more proud than to be a son of a hero who is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.
    Hero?
    Not sure about that.
    I guess that would be subjective.
    Different Era and War, unlike winning WWII.
    Most people spit on him when he came back.
    Never the same after those two tours according to the family.
    He seemed more happy about his purple heart over his bronze star with v device.
    He eventually got what he wanted which was 100% pay from the government.
    I tried to explain to him that he wasn't a mercenary.
    He was a soldier.
    But he insisted that the government owed him.
    Busted back down to Buck Private form Sergeant when he was honorably discharged.
    Some problem with AWOL and MAMASAN.
    10 years of free money and back pay was good enough I suppose.
    One of those victims of Agent Orange and Brain Surgery/Cancer in the end.
    Fell down the stairs, drunk as usual but this time all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put his head back together again.
    I think it is funny or ironic that he was the lone survivor out of his unit and did two tours only to die falling down the stairs lol.
    For some perspective, slip and fall is one of the biggest killers of mankind.
    The induction into Arlington was because of the Purple Heart and not the Bronze Star with V Device... go figure.
    Guess he was right about being more prestigious.
    He did have a slew of medals though.
    Many of them were medals I never seen before as they pertained to Vietnam.
    Last edited by monet; 03-15-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Monet wrote:

"Hero?
    Not sure about that.
    I guess that would be subjective."

Subjective, bullshit not in my book.

Your father was a hero who did two tours.

Soldiers do not pick the wars that they fight, they are sent into them.

I'm glad I never had to fight in a war: war is hell.

I have had two good friends who were Vietnam vets, and both came home as seriously "damaged goods."

One guy was an armorer on a carrier, loading bombs and ordnance; the other was Airborne.

Both have PTSD, big time: both are reclusive and suspicious, both have a variety of physical service related disabilities.

Funny, but as a kid I read a lot of war stories / histories and loved Sgt. Rock comics: I sort of dreamed that one day I too would be a soldier.

A heartfelt salute to the two of them.
    What, Me Worry?

The sewer waits for no one around here. Ha.

Dumber than fighting other peoples' wars is glorifying it.

I mean, think about it. Catch it, or not, the virus will survive you, anyway. Go fast, or slow.
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-16-2021 at 03:27 AM.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

Blog at https://garnabby.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Garnabby View Post
    The sewer waits for no one around here. Ha.

Dumber than fighting other peoples' wars is glorifying it.
    Now we are into subjective thought.

In my mind whether or not you agree with the decisions that were made to go into war, there should be a completely separate distinction between the war itself and the soldiers who fought in the war.

I tried to tie all of the above into the "war" known as evolution. Isn't evolution the war of wars, anyway?

Now we can and may go along with every bit of evolution. We may live precisely as outlined here by, say, both, the Boz, and MrV. Keep the nose clean, not really and actually question anything, go about our lives, whichever they, by pure random chance, turned out to be.

On the other hand, with the individual at least, within his own little sphere of what and which -ever, comes the power to totally side-step evolution.

I don't entirely subscribe to the Aristotelian notion that we have the right, in most cases, to choose one way, thing, or the other, but, at the same time, not also the right to choose that we have to choose, at all. I do think that, in some deep sense, each has some say over what type and which degree of lives they lead, and, hence, as such, even the soldiers are, in some way, the wars.

Now don't ask me what's the way to be on the right path. This is my life's work, but, not to be fully outlined, just now. MrV claims simplistically that we are, automatically, where we are supposed to be. I think that, in some sense, the right path is the least likely, hardest one to find - but, definitely, the furthest thing from "where we go is where we are".
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-16-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    Every one /everyone knows it all; yet, no thing /nothing is truly known by any one /anyone. Similarly, the suckers think that they win, but, the house always wins, unless to hand out an even worse beating.

Garnabby + OppsIdidItAgain + ThomasClines (or TomasHClines) + The Grim Reaper + LMR + OneHitWonder (or 1HitWonder, 1Hit1der) + Bill Yung ---> GOTTLOB1, or GOTTLOB = Praise to God!

I tried to tie all of the above into the "war" known as evolution. Isn't evolution the war of wars, anyway?

Now we can and may go along with every bit of evolution. We may live precisely as outlined here by, say, both, the Boz, and MrV. Keep the nose clean, not really and actually question anything, go about our lives, whichever they, by pure random chance, turned out to be.

On the other hand, with the individual at least, within his own little sphere of what and which -ever, comes the power to totally side-step evolution.

I don't entirely subscribe to the Aristotelian notion that we have the right, in most cases, to choose one way, thing, or the other, but, at the same time, not also the right to choose that we have to choose, at all. I do think that, in some deep sense, each has some say over what type and which degree of lives they lead, and, hence, as such, even the soldiers are, in some way, the wars.

Now don't ask me what's the way to be on the right path. This is my life's work, but, not to be fully outlined, just now. MrV claims simplistically that we are, automatically, where we are supposed to be. I think that, in some sense, the right path is the least likely, hardest one to find - but, definitely, the furthest thing from "where we go is where we are".
    You know it is not easy to understand any post from you, you have to re-read it like five times to try and figure out just what you are trying to say. You remind me of all those high as kite flower children from the Vietnam era "ungrateful bastards" only you never came down, as it appears you are always high. I like to touch on a point that you did make:

" I do think that, in some deep sense, each has some say over what type and which degree of lives they lead, and, hence, as such, even the soldiers are, in some way, the wars."

Really, what say did the young men have those who were drafted into the armed services during that unpopular long-running Vietnam War? Take your delusional trips and shove them up your ass you fucken no good lowlife.
    Last edited by BoSox; 03-16-2021 at 09:04 AM.

We are born into specific situations, just as we are born into life in general. Did any of us have a choice about being born?

Yes, also this is what Aristotle wrote of. But, we are free to question anything from any of the philosophers.

Regardless you didn't understand what I wrote, or, that, perhaps, like anything anyone writes, it can't really be understood, well, it's no reason to call me on the facts, my interpretation of, and, next, spin into another of your funks.

Again, the reason that I write what I think about, and enjoy thinking about. No one can take it away from me.

Ha.

Say, if you want an exercise in total futility, try enjoying one of MrV's songs, and movies. How about that great, "Hard to be a God," movie? If I recall, they spent about three millions on it, but, it grossed about thirty thousands.
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-16-2021 at 11:23 AM.

It looks like you are more correct on the issue compared to my thinking.
    Of course I grew up with him so I knew him pretty well.
    He had a story of being overrun one night and he had to bury himself to survive.
    I guess White Phosphorus was NO JOKE.
    Unusual situation for him though as he was a LRRP so he was usually in a small team.

Being awarded a Bronze Star is enough to be classified as a Hero but the V Device kind of pushes things over the top.
    Technically he didn't get drafted as he enlisted because of some run in with the law at 17 years of age.
    He slipped through the red tape according to his story.
    I tend to believe it as it was easier to do these sort of things in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even the 90s.
    These days it seems harder with the net and smart phones.
    I notice a difference in society as well, as it seems more apt to do thorough background checks and such.
    I notice many entry level jobs are even tying your credit to your background check before hiring.
    Big Brother is getting stronger.
    Long Live Big Brother!
    Last edited by monet; 03-18-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Do you know what it means when type it out line-by-line?

I'm sure that we are going to find out.

Ha

Originally Posted by monet View Post

It looks like you are more correct on the issue compared to my thinking.
    Of course I grew up with him so I knew him pretty well.
    He had a story of being overrun one night and he had to bury himself to survive.
    I guess White Phosphorus was NO JOKE.
    Unusual situation for him though as he was a LRRP so he was usually in a small team.

Being awarded a Bronze Star is enough to be classified as a Hero but the V Device kind of pushes things over the top.
    Technically he didn't get drafted as he enlisted because of some run in with the law at 17 years of age.
    He slipped through the red tape according to his story.
    I tend to believe it as it was easier to do these sort of things in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even the 90s.
    These days it seems harder with the net and smart phones.
    I notice a difference in society as well, as it seems more apt to do thorough background checks and such.
    I notice many entry level jobs are even tying your credit to your background check before hiring.
    Big Brother is getting stronger.
    Long Live Big Brother!
    You can enlist at 17. Maybe it is changed in today's coddled world. Your parent or guardian just needs to sign a waiver. I went to Army boot camp between junior and senior year of high school. Was finishing senior year after first semester. So got slated for NBC school after High school was done. Was technically attached to a reserve unit. Supposed to go active duty after NBC school and another school. After completion of literally 9 months of training and schools they said it would be 6 months until active duty status. That is how I wound up in the Marine Corps. Didn't want to sit around with some reserve unit for 6 months. So enlisted in the Marines and 1 week later was on the yellow footprints at Parris Island ready to go for round 2.....lol
    Last edited by MaxPen; 03-18-2021 at 10:45 AM.

LRRP's: egad.

One college summer break I was in Atlanta, working construction and sharing an apt. with a friend; as a stoner I dealt weed to provide for my own stash and to make a buck or two, and was always looking for a new connection to buy from.

A neighbor had good weed, and he offered to sell me some: I agreed to buy a pound.

The guy lived in a completely dark apt., he rarely went outside, and always had a gun: very paranoid.

He'd only recently returned from 'Nam, having served on long range reconnaissance patrols.

The weed he sold me tasted great but didn't get you buzzed: when I told him about it he just glared and held his hand of his pistol: uh, no come backs with this motherfucker.

At college my usual customers wouldn't buy it as it wasn't strong at all, so I sold it to a black guy I knew: he later said it was great and wanted to know if I could get some more.
    What, Me Worry?

I'm sure that we are going to find out.

Ha
    I know lots of stuff that I would, never, bother to type up here.

I phrased this bit as a question just to see the dip-shit responses. One, and two. Ha.

(V thinks he's leading me on, but, I guess, it's the other way around.)
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-18-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    You can enlist at 17. Maybe it is changed in today's coddled world. Your parent or guardian just needs to sign a waiver. I went to Army boot camp between junior and senior year of high school. Was finishing senior year after first semester. So got slated for NBC school after High school was done. Was technically attached to a reserve unit. Supposed to go active duty after NBC school and another school. After completion of literally 9 months of training and schools they said it would be 6 months until active duty status. That is how I wound up in the Marine Corps. Didn't want to sit around with some reserve unit for 6 months. So enlisted in the Marines and 1 week later was on the yellow footprints at Parris Island ready to go for round 2.....lol
    That makes much more sense.
    Although, I like the idea or romance that he got pushed through the system better than your realism.
    Not sure what my father did to land him in hot water with the police but I fantasize that he was cutting the heads off of bubble gum machines.
    You know, like in the movie Cool Hand Luke.
    I think he wasn't too far off from turning 18 anyways.
    Thinking back though, it seems clear that your version has to be the way it went down.
    His mother/father my grandfather/grandmother just signed the waivers.
    His father made it through WWII.
    I was very close to going into the Army myself in hopes of becoming a Ranger.
    They told me that most people don't make it through because of blisters.
    He was going to get drafted anyways... that is 100% for sure.
    His brother, my uncle, got drafted not long after that.
    A completely different story/outcome.
    No medals, no hero status but he outlived everyone and is still kicking.

Do you like it when people tell you "Thank You For Your Service?"
    I'm not a big proponent on saying that but I do recall my father liked it when people told him "Welcome Home."
    I don't mind people saying it but I don't like how they say it casually.
    I suppose those two are sort of different but my point is that I'm thankful for people like you.
    Not that it does anything but seriously... Thank You!
    Last edited by monet; 03-18-2021 at 05:23 PM.

When people thank me for my service it makes me feel uncomfortable actually. I look at serving in the military as just another job. I rarely even acknowledge my time in the military except to some friends and family. Maybe for WW2 vets it is different. My grandfather on my mother's side was a WW2 vet. He was very proud until the day he died of serving and liked people's acknowledgement and thanks.

I kind of feel like the US now is just a gun for hire. I would like to know what deals were made to return Kuwait. I have never joined the VFW or anything like that. I always throw away the crap that comes in the mailbox from all these type of organizations without opening. I found out about 2 years ago I may be eligible for some compensation due to my time at Ft. McClellan going thru the Chemical school. I am not interested in pursuing it. The only thing I will take advantage of is a national cemetery burial. If for some reason I become destitute then I would be thankful for having the VA to fall back on. Otherwise I am not interested in any acknowledgements from anyone or the system.

Too many people blow out the realities of military service..... I had some more shit typed out regarding this but some things are better said privately.

Are you guys ready for the dreaded 4th wave they are talking about now? lol lol lol.

Masks forever. Just two weeks they said a year ago. lmao.

Originally Posted by mcap View Post
    Are you guys ready for the dreaded 4th wave they are talking about now? lol lol lol.

Masks forever. Just two weeks they said a year ago. lmao.
    It appears to me that Vegas is starting to pull back on regulations.
    I'm getting ready to go camping in the Hills and Desert.
    Hopefully crossing State Lines won't be too big of an issue if I choose to do so.
    I may just stay in Northern Nevada as there might be enough spots.
    One of them has a Hot Springs Stream that looks interesting.
    Either way... Corona is OVER.
    3 Million Shots being administered daily from what I understand.

It will still be with us as some of those who chose not to get vaccinated will continue to spread the infection.
    What, Me Worry?

Thread Information