Thread: Baseball playoff format

This is year 2 of the current expanded baseball playoff format. Under this format the top 2 division winners receive a bye of the first round 3 game series.

It is a small sample size of only 2 years but it doesn't appear that receiving this bye is advantageous to the #1 and #2 seeds.

Last year the Dodgers were the #1 seed and Braves #2 and seemed to be far and away the best two teams in the NL. Many people were looking forward to a Braves-Dodgers finals showdown. Both teams lost and didn't make the finals. Both lost in 4 games. Both lost to division rivals that they had finished 12+ games in front of and had decisively beaten in head to head match ups during the year.

This year is repeating with the Dodgers (#2 seed) and Baltimore (number 1 seed) having been swept out in 3 games. The Braves a number 1 seed are currently down 2 games to 1.

It is easy to come up with some reasons for this phenomenon.

1.) that extra rest by missing that first 3 round series is NOT advantageous. These number 1 and 2 seeds locked up their playoff positions early with weeks left in the season in most cases, so they already were able to rest players down the stretch. They don't need even more rest. Makes it hard to get back into prime form. I don't think you turn it on like a light switch. Now the Braves recognized this and tried to combat this by playing "simulated games" during their bye. But simulated games just aren't the same. they don't have that emotion.

2) the second factor I think reeking havoc is the 5 game format. With a 5 game format if the away team can steal one of the first 2 games they have taken the advantage away. All they need do is win their home games (3 & 4) and the series never makes it back to the lower seed stadium for game 5. Home field advantage negated.

Maybe in the end it is a good thing. Levels the playing field type thing. But I have to think MLB is probably starting to get concerned that the teams that rack up 100+ wins during the year are all being eliminated in 3 or 4 games of the first series, which they are supposed to have an advantage...double advantage actually of rest and home feild.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

They ruined baseball.
    It's been ruined for some time now.
    It's a Fucking Crapshoot.
    162 game season into this Bullshit of a Playoff System.
    They are using computers, earpieces and forcing a pitch clock.
    The MLB did this to pander to the kiddies, faggots and women.
    FUCK THE MLB!

Ok so it seems baseball is well aware of this situation now. This year the 3 teams with records of 100 wins or more all were tossed out of the playoffs in the first round after this dis-advantage time off. The 3 best teams in baseball managed to win 2 games out of 11. The commissioner said they are aware of it but plan to make no changes. i suspect that will be revisited.

Now moving on to the next round, the league championships series. Currently Houston vs Texas and Phils vs Arizona. This round has a 2-3-2 format which they have used for a while. I have always thought this format favored the team without so called home field advantage, the team with the 3 home games in the middle. With this format home field advantage really doesn't come into play until game 6 and 7, if it goes that far. If the away team can win 1 of the first 2 games on the road, they actually are the home team advantage favorite.

This year Houson lost not 1 but 2 of the first 2 home games. Phils held serve in the first game, we will see what happens in game 2.
    Dan Druff: "there's no question that MDawg has been an obnoxious braggart, and has rubbed a ton of people the wrong way. There's something missing from his stories. Either they're fabricated, grossly exaggerated, or largely incomplete".

Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    This is year 2 of the current expanded baseball playoff format. Under this format the top 2 division winners receive a bye of the first round 3 game series.

It is a small sample size of only 2 years but it doesn't appear that receiving this bye is advantageous to the #1 and #2 seeds.
    Ok so it seems baseball is well aware of this situation now. This year the 3 teams with records of 100 wins or more all were tossed out of the playoffs in the first round after this dis-advantage time off. The 3 best teams in baseball managed to win 2 games out of 11. The commissioner said they are aware of it but plan to make no changes. i suspect that will be revisited.
    Do any sports allow a choice of placement within the bracket? The #1 team could choose to go into the #3 slot, for example. This would allow them to opt out of the bye, or maybe avoid a particular opponent.

This round has a 2-3-2 format which they have used for a while. I have always thought this format favored the team without so called home field advantage, the team with the 3 home games in the middle. With this format home field advantage really doesn't come into play until game 6 and 7, if it goes that far. If the away team can win 1 of the first 2 games on the road, they actually are the home team advantage favorite.
    I'd want to see the numbers on that. If it were my favorite team, I would take the higher allocation of home games no matter the format. If it's 3-4, I'm taking the 4. I feel qualified to make that decision because on forums I refer to my team as "We".

MLB has Fucked Up their playoff format and everyone knows it.
    The proof is that we have Arizona vs Texas in the World Series.
    And nobody cares.
    Nobody wants to watch Texas and Arizona in the World Series and the ratings prove it.
    Fuck the Pitch Clock and Ghost Runner Bullshit!
    Fuck the MLB.
    And while I'm at it... Fuck the NBA and the NFL.
    The NHL is still watchable, but they'll Fuck that up too.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    And nobody cares.
    Nobody wants to watch Texas and Arizona in the World Series and the ratings prove it.
    Fuck the MLB.
    What else do you expect from a organization that changes team names because they are not politically correct?

Having a team named after you is an honor after all.

Its not like they were called the Cleveland Spear Chuckers or the Washington Slant Eyes for crying out loud

Originally Posted by DGenBen View Post
    Originally Posted by monet View Post
    And nobody cares.
    Fuck the MLB.
    What else do you expect from a organization that changes team names because they are not politically correct?

Having a team named after you is an honor after all.

Its not like they were called the Cleveland Spear Chuckers or the Washington Slant Eyes for crying out loud
    Good Points!
    Thanks for the Spear Chucker Chuckle lol !!!

Thread Information