Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Virgin Hotels Las Vegas to charge you for comp room if you don't play enough

  1. #1
    This is from January 2021:

    You agree that you are liable for all charges incurred until the balance of your account is paid in full. You authorize the Virgin Hotels Las Vegas to place a $100 per day hold against your credit or debit card to guarantee charges. . . . You understand that the complimentary casino stay is based on your relation with Mohegan Sun Casino and during this visit and the comp may be revoked and charged to the credit card or debit card on file if the casino play is not sufficient.

    No coolers or outside food and beverage allowed on property.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/virginhotel...s-Vegas-TC.pdf

    WHAT?!

    They've since changed the outside food/beverage policy, after the story made the rounds on the internet, and people were outraged. Now their official terms state, "If the mood strikes, outside food or drinks for personal consumption are okay with us. Catering your own event is not."

    But they're holding firm on the reverse-comping policy, which is awful.

    A comp isn't really a comp if they can revoke it and charge you based upon lacking play. In such a case, you're showing actually up with no comp, and then earning one!

    I really hope this policy doesn't take hold in the industry. The problem is that this casino is being run by the Mohegan Sun, which is owned by an Indian tribe. In fact, the casino is called "Mohegan Sun Casino at Virgin Hotels Las Vegas".

    The hotel/casino is slated to open on March 25. It was formerly the Hard Rock, but has been heavily renovated.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  2. #2
    Then they should have to state the minimum play requirements up front.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post
    Then they should have to state the minimum play requirements up front.
    Yeah, not just state it, but clearly state it, and get the customer to acknowledge it before booking.

    However, this won't happen. Casinos hate giving you this information, because they want you to overplay in order to "earn" your comps, not play to the absolute minimum and quit.

    I had this argument with a Harrah's Lake Tahoe host in 2017. I had a plan to go there for 10 days and hammer VP. I was going to put in a lot of play. With my Seven Stars, I could get 5 nights guaranteed, but nights 6-10 needed a host's assistance to get comped. I told him what I was going to play, and he refused to tell me if it was enough. "After you play, come see me, and we'll see what we can do."

    Bunch of bullshit. I refused to do this.

    Anyway, Mohegan Sun clearly doesn't seem to understand Vegas culture and customer expectations. Can you imagine a large hotel making a "no outside food or beverage" policy? What the fuck do they think this is, a movie theater?

    Idiotic.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  5. #5
    I've seen a few places over the last 3 years implement no outside booze, becoming somewhat of a thing. Don't ask don't tell is all to common, with hosts. The obvious objective is to have the plebs play as much as possible for the comps. The average host tries to be as vague as possible, not giving any kind of idea as too how much play is necessary. In most cases it can be figured out with minimal hurdles to jump.

  6. #6
    I'm no ap so I don't know about milking comps there but I will say in Connecticut Mohegan comps totally suck or are non existent for my level of play. I only go a couple times a year.
    Take off that stupid mask you big baby.

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    2,530
    I recently returned from a comped stay at Chinook Winds tribal casino in Lincoln City, Oregon and am pleased to say that they have not adopted the policy Dan refers to above.

    Comps have always been a perk given based upon a player's historical level of play; if a player doesn't play enough then they won't offer comparable future comps.

    Tying a comp to the current play is just another way for casinos to clip their patrons.

    The question I guess is whethre the casinos actually NEED the additional revenue to keep afloat?
    What, Me Worry?

  8. #8
    I think you guys are making something out of nothing.

    As per the "no outside food beverages", I'll bet most properties have that so called policy, but it is never enforced. Sure they would like you to buy your booze on property, but just watch any of the 20, 30 year olds, even older as they unload their stuff at almost any property. There is almost always cases of beer, soda, ect. And they use the bell hop carts to take it to the rooms. That just isn't enforced.

    As per the "based on previous play" stipulation, I am sure I have seen that small print on various comp offers. But again, it isn't enforced. If your play drops considerably below what they were "expecting" they just stop the comp room offers. Been that way forever. I mean I don't know that they could legally do that. The player would have a printed out confirmation stating charges $00.

    Again, I don't think these kind of "policies" are new, you are just noticing them because this is a new property stating their policies. I'll be surprised if either is enforced.

  9. #9
    I'm afraid I'm not at this level of casino comps. I do get offers of one or two free nights midweek, along with freeplay of $15 to $25.

    But it seems to me that once a casino offers you a free hotel room they can't back out later and charge you for it.

    So perhaps the issue is the other comps they give high rollers such as free meals and show tickets.

    I think these comps might be in jeopardy if play is not up to expectation.

    In the case of Mr Druff it appears the first five nights were an automatic comp. The additional nights were subject to your play. To me that's like asking for show tickets-- either you have the play or you don't.

    One day I hope to be asking for show tickets.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not at this level of casino comps. I do get offers of one or two free nights midweek, along with freeplay of $15 to $25.

    But it seems to me that once a casino offers you a free hotel room they can't back out later and charge you for it.

    So perhaps the issue is the other comps they give high rollers such as free meals and show tickets.

    I think these comps might be in jeopardy if play is not up to expectation.

    In the case of Mr Druff it appears the first five nights were an automatic comp. The additional nights were subject to your play. To me that's like asking for show tickets-- either you have the play or you don't.

    One day I hope to be asking for show tickets.
    No clue what you make as an attorney, but I assume its a good living. Best advise anyone can give you is to avoid gambling all together, let alone worrying about comps unless you are playing at an advantage. And even then, you will make far more per hour at your job. If you have any school debt left, you are better paying that off or investing for retirement.

    Many people have worked their entire lives and have next to nothing to show for it because of gambling. Just waiting impatiently for the next SS or Stimulus check to gamble with. I believe you said you work in Vegas, Im sure you have had clients that can tell you the damage it has done to them and their families.

    Buy the show tickets you want to see and skip the gambling. Youll thank me later.
    Find MDawgs Adventures at WoV filed under fiction right here.... All betting systems are worthless. However, for the mathematically challenged, here is a forum of your own

  11. #11
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    2,530
    Mr. G, as a wannabe attorney, or a person pretending to be or work for an attorney you are well aware that "women are trouble."

    Divorce, separation, alimony, palimony, division of property, child support, restraining orders, broken hearts, maxed out credit cards, stolen property, blue balls: the list of woe caused by women is endless, as is their nagging and assertiveness, their wanting to be heard, valued and loved.

    Bah.

    If you get to the point where you absolutely need a woman for conjugal purposes, my advice is to simply rent one; don't keep a female around underfoot 24/7 via marriage, cohabitation agreement or mere handshake or "You'll be sorry."

    IIRC there are some rather swarthy looking gentlemen on the strip who seem to be matchmarkers; ask them to hook you up with a hag to shag.

    Oh, if you do bone one of them wear two condoms because they're probably diseased.

    Look at the bad luck some of the board's members have had with women, especially that media personality that used to run this joint: it's a damned shame I tell ya.

    Like Charlie Sheen said about hookers: "I don't pay them to have sex; i pay them to have sex and then leave."

    Wise words, wise words indeed.

    Last edited by MisterV; 03-15-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    One day I hope to be asking for show tickets.
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Buy the show tickets you want to see and skip the gambling. You’ll thank me later.
    Andrew's hope went right over your head, Busy Bozy.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not at this level of casino comps. I do get offers of one or two free nights midweek, along with freeplay of $15 to $25.

    But it seems to me that once a casino offers you a free hotel room they can't back out later and charge you for it.

    So perhaps the issue is the other comps they give high rollers such as free meals and show tickets.

    I think these comps might be in jeopardy if play is not up to expectation.

    In the case of Mr Druff it appears the first five nights were an automatic comp. The additional nights were subject to your play. To me that's like asking for show tickets-- either you have the play or you don't.

    One day I hope to be asking for show tickets.
    No clue what you make as an attorney, but I assume its a good living. Best advise anyone can give you is to avoid gambling all together, let alone worrying about comps unless you are playing at an advantage. And even then, you will make far more per hour at your job. If you have any school debt left, you are better paying that off or investing for retirement.

    Many people have worked their entire lives and have next to nothing to show for it because of gambling. Just waiting impatiently for the next SS or Stimulus check to gamble with. I believe you said you work in Vegas, Im sure you have had clients that can tell you the damage it has done to them and their families.

    Buy the show tickets you want to see and skip the gambling. Youll thank me later.
    At this point, I take verly little advantage of my comps here in vegas when earned. Most of the shows we have seen. High priced meals will cost you a pretty penny in tips. I hate dealing with parking and the long walks from there to the resturants. Traffic can get insain here. I have my own hom with all my own conforts. Why would I want to spend the time packing all my stuff, then having to stand in line cheking in, only to have to get up repack and check out at a cetain time. We try to save that stuff for special occasions, oftnetimes it expires and never gets used.

  14. #14
    Mr Boz I am not an attorney. I do work as a researcher checking things such as locations of accidents, taking photos or videos, recording sessions with clients. I even have served legal notices.

    And I play 25-cent video poker.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by AxelWolf View Post
    Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not at this level of casino comps. I do get offers of one or two free nights midweek, along with freeplay of $15 to $25.

    But it seems to me that once a casino offers you a free hotel room they can't back out later and charge you for it.

    So perhaps the issue is the other comps they give high rollers such as free meals and show tickets.

    I think these comps might be in jeopardy if play is not up to expectation.

    In the case of Mr Druff it appears the first five nights were an automatic comp. The additional nights were subject to your play. To me that's like asking for show tickets-- either you have the play or you don't.

    One day I hope to be asking for show tickets.
    No clue what you make as an attorney, but I assume its a good living. Best advise anyone can give you is to avoid gambling all together, let alone worrying about comps unless you are playing at an advantage. And even then, you will make far more per hour at your job. If you have any school debt left, you are better paying that off or investing for retirement.

    Many people have worked their entire lives and have next to nothing to show for it because of gambling. Just waiting impatiently for the next SS or Stimulus check to gamble with. I believe you said you work in Vegas, Im sure you have had clients that can tell you the damage it has done to them and their families.

    Buy the show tickets you want to see and skip the gambling. Youll thank me later.
    Why would I want to spend the time packing all my stuff, then having to stand in line cheking in, only to have to get up repack and check out at a cetain time.
    Because you are not sure which of your best buddies needs a bed that night and who may also have the keys to get in the house.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by kewlJ View Post
    I think you guys are making something out of nothing.

    As per the "no outside food beverages", I'll bet most properties have that so called policy, but it is never enforced. Sure they would like you to buy your booze on property, but just watch any of the 20, 30 year olds, even older as they unload their stuff at almost any property. There is almost always cases of beer, soda, ect. And they use the bell hop carts to take it to the rooms. That just isn't enforced.

    As per the "based on previous play" stipulation, I am sure I have seen that small print on various comp offers. But again, it isn't enforced. If your play drops considerably below what they were "expecting" they just stop the comp room offers. Been that way forever. I mean I don't know that they could legally do that. The player would have a printed out confirmation stating charges $00.

    Again, I don't think these kind of "policies" are new, you are just noticing them because this is a new property stating their policies. I'll be surprised if either is enforced.
    I disagree. I have never seen a "no outside food or beverage" policy at any hotel anywhere. In the case of Virgin, it's stated right in their general terms of check-in. I've traveled a lot in my life, and this is something I've absolutely never seen.

    Given that hotels aren't food-and-beverage venues, but rather are considered lodging, it's always been considered acceptable to bring your own stuff. This is especially true because hotels may not have food and beverage you like (or that fits your diet, or whatever), and given that you're staying the night there, it's very burdensome if you're required to eat and drink only what they sell you.

    It's just a really obnoxious policy which got a lot of pushback, so they changed it. The tribe is trying to nickel-and-dime everyone, and it's not going over well.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Mr Boz I am not an attorney. I do work as a researcher checking things such as locations of accidents, taking photos or videos, recording sessions with clients. I even have served legal notices.

    And I play 25-cent video poker.
    Living the dream

  18. #18
    If casino are gonna invoke this bullshits and nonsenses then they need to come straight out and tell a cat what is required for comp, hey hey.

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    If casino are gonna invoke this bullshits and nonsenses then they need to come straight out and tell a cat what is required for comp, hey hey.
    The comp stuff is just to confuse, take your mind off what's going on, and, ultimately, to lessen only the mental hunger to figure out the way to beat the crap out of their games. --->

    The Restoration of the Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: A Bicentennial Proclamation to the World.

    https://anagram-solver.net/Thecompst....?partial=true


    Just kidding, Soxfan.

    By the way, if you're looking for signs of the Johno, well, he's one of the very few who have been permanently excised from here. (He put up worthy fight, though.)
    Last edited by Garnabby; 03-17-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    Every one, and everyone, supposedly, knows it all. Yet, no thing, nor nothing, is really and actually known and understood by any one, or anyone.

    In gambling, the biggest suckers are the ones who think that they are beating the house. It always wins, unless it lets you win, to give you an even worse beating.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6ojQcYXQ


    Shut it down, Garnabby. ---> Anything, but a BS word.

    https://anagram-solver.net/shut%20it...y?partial=true

  20. #20
    Yeah, you know if this is to be enforced, it will not be done politely at the end of your stay.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2019, 05:33 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-01-2018, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-25-2018, 02:02 PM
  4. Las Vegas Room Rates Record
    By redietz in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2015, 03:32 AM
  5. Facts about Las Vegas they don't want you to know.
    By Alan Mendelson in forum Las Vegas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •