Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping Around Las Vegas

An actual thread about Las Vegas and the surrounding area.
    I already told my story about UFO sightings as I camped for a couple nights in the Spring Mountains.
    You can read that in my posts over in the Smart Money Thread or I may have typed about it in the WoV Thread too.
    No reason to really get into it over here.
    I also talked about how I got a touch of Sun Poisoning.
    You may call it Heat Stroke or Sun Stroke.
    Whatever... shit is real... use your sunblock kiddies lol.
    I had flu like symptoms for a day or two.
    The mountain won this round but I'll be back!
    Here are some pictures...
    As I was riding down Boulder Highway on the 27th I snapped a pic because the sky was beautiful.
    More so in person than this pic I took.
    Notice how Camping World is off to the right.
    I also got a crummy picture of the Moon Rising and the Sun Setting.
    The spot was pretty perfect.
    Close to the major road but hidden enough not to be seen.
    And nobody drove near us or bothered us.
    Peace and Quiet for the most part and Free Camping which is what I am after.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Just some more boring pictures of me trying to run away form society and my problems.
    Elevation was around 6200 Feet.
    Temperature was high at around 85 and low around 40.
    This style of tent has too much airflow.
    It was pretty cold even with the Propane Buddy Heater on High all night.
    Too much wind negated the heated air flow.
    The sleeping bags I have are very warm though and rated for 0 degrees F.
    I bought them because they were oversized with very soft flannel on the inside.
    They are too bulky and heavy though.
    Basically two or three bags in one.
    Great Bags but not at all convenient.
    With these sleeping bags you could easily get away with no heater but you want to wrap your neck and mouth with something like a large scarf and pull the bag over your head.
    Unless you are in your 20's or 30's... in that case you can breath in that ice cold air all night long.
    Fuck You BoSox and the horse your rode in on.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by monet; 05-01-2021 at 11:33 AM.

What kind of predators can you see out there?

If the tent had too much airflow I assume it was a setup mistake.

Check this dude's camping trip out:

"More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Check this dude's camping trip out
    Thanks!
    Yeah they got a lot of youtube videos of people camping in -30 degree weather with woodstoves.
    Usually wall tents but you see some of these cheaper tents that they convert to be able to handle a woodstove.
    Going to be nice when my Wall Tent and Woodstove gets delivered in about 2 more months.
    By that time I might have some of the problems ironed out that I have ran into on my last two trips.
    It's not easy but it is nice to get out in the fresh air away from the metropolis.
    Currently I have been hauling too much gear.
    Kind of a trial and error period.
    The Sun Crushed me this time but I'll be back.
    I was being stubborn about no sunblock and I need Vitamin D!

Them mountaineers will build a snow shelter like dig down into the snow and put a tarp over the top of it. Protects it from the wind.

Originally Posted by monet View Post
    Thanks!
    Yeah they got a lot of youtube videos of people camping in -30 degree weather with woodstoves.
    Usually wall tents but you see some of these cheaper tents that they convert to be able to handle a woodstove.
    Going to be nice when my Wall Tent and Woodstove gets delivered in about 2 more months.
    By that time I might have some of the problems ironed out that I have ran into on my last two trips.
    It's not easy but it is nice to get out in the fresh air away from the metropolis.
    It is hard to get tough after you get old and soft.

Edit: that would make a good fortune cookie

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post

Your point is valid.
    Stupid Buffet ruined my life!

Originally Posted by MaxPen View Post

Your point is valid.
    Stupid Buffet ruined my life!
    Bacchanal is supposedly opening again soon.

Thanks!

Monet, I have been trying to tease you about your first two trips but in reality, you are doing great. Before you know it you will be an expert camper. I watched mickey's video and that guy literally busted his balls doing a lot of work, and he really knew what he was doing. That hobby is not for the faint of heart. Not much relaxing in between all the wood cutting ect.

Finally got the Wall Tent/Wood Stove Elk Package in today.
    Heavy.
    Not sure I would recommend this Large Wood Stove.
    You might be better off with a more compact Stove but this one does have other advantages if you don't mind the 50 pounds or so.
    You could never backpack this stuff into the bush.
    You definitely want to unpack right beside your vehicle.
    If you have a couple of hands you'll be in better shape but I'll be setting up by myself, for the most part.
    I still have to run down to Home Depot or Lowes and get the Poles cut.
    Probably do a 2 hour burn on the wood stove before actually taking it out to cure it.
    I'll take some pictures on my next practice run.
    Fully recovered from the sunburn and poisoning lol.
    My lip and nose swelled up something fierce for about 10 days.
    Lesson Learned.
    Sun Stronger.

Wall Tent Package (14x16) was just under 3800 dollars, so at this point, I am in at about 6 dimes total.
    Not counting Guns and Ammo.
    Knights played like shit tonight.
    Glad I didn't bet on them but sorry I missed out on betting Tampa Bay yesterday with their 8-0 domination.
    Almost parlayed the two yesterday on the puck line... would of lost.
    Mental Note.
    Last edited by monet; 06-22-2021 at 10:41 PM.

Finally got the Wall Tent/Wood Stove Elk Package in today.
    Heavy.
    Not sure I would recommend this Large Wood Stove.
    You might be better off with a more compact Stove but this one does have other advantages if you don't mind the 50 pounds or so.
    You could never backpack this stuff into the bush.
    You definitely want to unpack right beside your vehicle.
    If you have a couple of hands you'll be in better shape but I'll be setting up by myself, for the most part.
    I still have to run down to Home Depot or Lowes and get the Poles cut.
    Probably do a 2 hour burn on the wood stove before actually taking it out to cure it.
    I'll take some pictures on my next practice run.
    Fully recovered from the sunburn and poisoning lol.
    My lip and nose swelled up something fierce for about 10 days.
    Lesson Learned.
    Sun Stronger.

Wall Tent Package (14x16) was just under 3800 dollars, so at this point, I am in at about 6 dimes total.
    Not counting Guns and Ammo.
    Knights played like shit tonight.
    Glad I didn't bet on them but sorry I missed out on betting Tampa Bay yesterday with their 8-0 domination.
    Almost parlayed the two yesterday on the puck line... would of lost.
    Mental Note.
    I don't want to be a negative nancy because I like your posts but camping around Las Vegas looks legitimately horrible. What wildlife is there outside of rattlesnakes and lizards ?!? No water. No trees. Desert and scrub bushes.

???
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

Originally Posted by accountinquestion View Post
    I don't want to be a negative nancy because I like your posts but camping around Las Vegas looks legitimately horrible. What wildlife is there outside of rattlesnakes and lizards ?!? No water. No trees. Desert and scrub bushes. ???
    It's more about gaining experience with setting up, taking down and learning what items I actually need to pack before I travel long distances to places like Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Alaska... etc. etc.
    It is also more about getting out and away from Society, TV, Computers, the House... etc. etc.
    It's close to home and close to roads/society to replenish supplies.
    Fresh Air at 6500 ft or higher!
    Last Time I was in the Spring Mountains, it is obvious they have Aerial Phenomenon.
    At night, its kind of nice to see the stars.
    They have wild donkeys.
    Strange experience the first time I heard them hee-hawing at night.
    Couldn't wrap my head around the fact that donkeys are living in the desert!?
    Had to confirm it, on the computer, when I got home as I was uneducated on the matter.
    I like campfires.
    NO MOSQUITOS and or many flying insects to bother you.
    You don't have to worry about Bears.
    They do have Mountain Lions but its rare to actually see them.
    Bird Watching is kind of a thing for some people.
    They have Wild Horses so that's kind of cool.
    Sunrise and Sunsets can be glorious.
    Quiet... Its Fucking nice to have Deafening Silence for hours upon hours.
    I also have no problems carrying my weapons in Nevada.
    If I cross the border over to California or other places I will begin to have problems with firearm possession.
    Here is a little lesson about the Spring Mountains and Mt. Charleston.

Geology
    The Mount Charleston Wilderness is composed of a 30,000-foot pile of limestone that accumulated in a westward-deepening sea between about 520 million and 280 million years ago. The fossilized remains of brachiopods, sponges, corals, crinoids, gastropods and other marine organisms are still visible in limestone outcrops throughout the Spring Mountains, including at the summit of Griffith Peak. Near the end of the Paleozoic Era, as sea level dropped as an epoch of subduction began as the seafloor began to plunge beneath the westward drifting North American continent. During the Triassic, rivers piled sand and mud atop the limestone and gypsum. As the climate dried out during the Jurassic, sand dunes blew across the landscape. Those dunes were later buried by younger sediments, cementing the loose sand to form the Aztec Sandstone. Intensification of subduction during the late Mesozoic eventually squeezed southern Nevada’s rocks and thrusted the older limestones up and over the Aztec Sandstone and other Mesozoic rocks along the Keystone and other thrust faults. This inverted landscape today creates the spectacular steep limestone cliffs and walls we see today in the wilderness, towering more that 10,000 feet above the 200 million-year-newer sandstones found in the red rocks at the base of the mountains.

Mount Charleston: An Island in the Sky
    Rising nearly 12,000 feet from the floor of desert valleys to the summit of Mount Charleston, the Spring Mountain represent four ecozones, that is equivalent to driving from Mexico to Alaska. Starting with desert shrublands, where the primary vegetation is creosote bush, blackbrush and, in slightly higher elevation areas, Joshua trees, you will quickly move into the low conifer zone dominated by evergreen pinyon pine and juniper trees as you move up in elevation. Above this level, coinciding with the most popular Mount Charleston hiking areas, is the high conifer zone featuring ponderosa pine trees, white fir trees, and bristlecone and limber pines at the upper reaches of this zone. There are many mountain in the Great Basin which support stands of bristlecone pines. Mount Charleston, however, features a true bristlecone pine forest. Above the treeline, above 11,000 feet, you will find a fragile alpine plant zone that has evolved in isolation, more than 130 miles from nearest mountains with similar elevations.

Like true ocean isolated islands, Mount Charleston, isolated by more than 100 miles of desert on all sides, has evolved its own endemic species of plants and animals- organisms found no where else. Seven of these endemic species are butterflies. These butterflies feed have thrived for centuries in mutualistic relationships with flowering plants, some of which are also endemic. Examples include Clokey’s thistle, rough angelica, Torrey’s milkvetch and the mountain oxytrope, the latter two on which the Mount Charleston blue butterfly feeds. This is how island ecology works. The Palmer’s chipmunk is another species endemic to the Spring Mountains, a cheery little fellow guaranteed to enchant hikers in the Wilderness. There are an estimated 28 species of plants, animals and insects found on Mount Charleston and nowhere else in the world.

Wildlife
    The biological diversity of animal life in the Spring Mountains is astounding. Bird watchers will find a paradise with more than 130 species described within the region. Fans of flying mammals will discover more than 18 species of bats spending time in the Spring Mountains over the cycles of seasons. Rabbits and rodents are very well represented in the Wilderness. Mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn, and an occasional elk my be spotted in the Spring Mountains. Elk were initially introduced from Yellowstone National Park into the Spring Mountains in the 1930s when they were part of the Desert Game Range (today's Desert National Wildlife Refuge). Predators include coyote, bobcat, grey fox, mountain lion, badger, western spotted skunk, ring-tail cat, long-tailed weasel, and the tiny dwarf shrew, who preys on insects.

Plants
    The extreme diversity of ecozones combined with the biological diversity of the Mojave Desert creates conditions within the Spring Mountains that support over 700 species of plants. The list would be exhaustive and we will not subject you to that in this space.
    Last edited by monet; 06-23-2021 at 02:18 PM.

I don't want to be a negative nancy because I like your posts but camping around Las Vegas looks legitimately horrible. What wildlife is there outside of rattlesnakes and lizards ?!? No water. No trees. Desert and scrub bushes. ???
    It's more about gaining experience with setting up, taking down and learning what items I actually need to pack before I travel long distances to places like Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Alaska... etc. etc.
    It is also more about getting out and away from society, TV, Computers, the House... etc. etc.
    Last Time I was in the Spring Mountains, it is obvious they have Aerial Phenomenon.
    At night, its kind of nice to see the stars.
    I like campfires.
    You don't have to worry about Bears.
    They do have Mountain Lions but its rare to actually see them.
    Bird Watching is kind of a thing for some people.
    They have Wild Horses so that's kind of cool.
    I also have no problems carrying my weapons in Nevada.
    If I cross the border over to California or other places I will begin to have problems with firearm possession.
    Here is a little lesson about the Spring Mountains and Mt. Charleston.

Geology
    The Mount Charleston Wilderness is composed of a 30,000-foot pile of limestone that accumulated in a westward-deepening sea between about 520 million and 280 million years ago. The fossilized remains of brachiopods, sponges, corals, crinoids, gastropods and other marine organisms are still visible in limestone outcrops throughout the Spring Mountains, including at the summit of Griffith Peak. Near the end of the Paleozoic Era, as sea level dropped as an epoch of subduction began as the seafloor began to plunge beneath the westward drifting North American continent. During the Triassic, rivers piled sand and mud atop the limestone and gypsum. As the climate dried out during the Jurassic, sand dunes blew across the landscape. Those dunes were later buried by younger sediments, cementing the loose sand to form the Aztec Sandstone. Intensification of subduction during the late Mesozoic eventually squeezed southern Nevada’s rocks and thrusted the older limestones up and over the Aztec Sandstone and other Mesozoic rocks along the Keystone and other thrust faults. This inverted landscape today creates the spectacular steep limestone cliffs and walls we see today in the wilderness, towering more that 10,000 feet above the 200 million-year-newer sandstones found in the red rocks at the base of the mountains.

Mount Charleston: An Island in the Sky
    Rising nearly 12,000 feet from the floor of desert valleys to the summit of Mount Charleston, the Spring Mountain represent four ecozones, that is equivalent to driving from Mexico to Alaska. Starting with desert shrublands, where the primary vegetation is creosote bush, blackbrush and, in slightly higher elevation areas, Joshua trees, you will quickly move into the low conifer zone dominated by evergreen pinyon pine and juniper trees as you move up in elevation. Above this level, coinciding with the most popular Mount Charleston hiking areas, is the high conifer zone featuring ponderosa pine trees, white fir trees, and bristlecone and limber pines at the upper reaches of this zone. There are many mountain in the Great Basin which support stands of bristlecone pines. Mount Charleston, however, features a true bristlecone pine forest. Above the treeline, above 11,000 feet, you will find a fragile alpine plant zone that has evolved in isolation, more than 130 miles from nearest mountains with similar elevations.

Like true ocean isolated islands, Mount Charleston, isolated by more than 100 miles of desert on all sides, has evolved its own endemic species of plants and animals- organisms found no where else. Seven of these endemic species are butterflies. These butterflies feed have thrived for centuries in mutualistic relationships with flowering plants, some of which are also endemic. Examples include Clokey’s thistle, rough angelica, Torrey’s milkvetch and the mountain oxytrope, the latter two on which the Mount Charleston blue butterfly feeds. This is how island ecology works. The Palmer’s chipmunk is another species endemic to the Spring Mountains, a cheery little fellow guaranteed to enchant hikers in the Wilderness. There are an estimated 28 species of plants, animals and insects found on Mount Charleston and nowhere else in the world.

Wildlife
    The biological diversity of animal life in the Spring Mountains is astounding. Bird watchers will find a paradise with more than 130 species described within the region. Fans of flying mammals will discover more than 18 species of bats spending time in the Spring Mountains over the cycles of seasons. Rabbits and rodents are very well represented in the Wilderness. Mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn, and an occasional elk my be spotted in the Spring Mountains. Elk were initially introduced from Yellowstone National Park into the Spring Mountains in the 1930s when they were part of the Desert Game Range (today's Desert National Wildlife Refuge). Predators include coyote, bobcat, grey fox, mountain lion, badger, western spotted skunk, ring-tail cat, long-tailed weasel, and the tiny dwarf shrew, who preys on insects.

Plants
    The extreme diversity of ecozones combined with the biological diversity of the Mojave Desert creates conditions within the Spring Mountains that support over 700 species of plants. The list would be exhaustive and we will not subject you to that in this space.
    I get it more than you think. My ex came over to see me and we drove around the nearby lake and walked around. It was 3 hours before we got back and I was fairly surprised. Doing outdoors stuff in your area is so easy .. a dry run makes sense. So convienent.

Went to where the lake was letting out. There has been a lot of rain around here this year so lake lets out and all teh fish from the "river bottom" come up to the dam. It is a pretty well known fishing hole in this part of the world. We watched people pull in gar and "freshwater drum" which I didn't even know were a thing. Also saw one guy pull in a catfish. The fishing was pretty decent but not motivating me to go get a license and go back. Fishing is a social thing and you need someone else who also wants to do it IMO.

No bears around here. Actually have a neighbor come across a mountain lion that had dragged a donkey off and was killing it. I think that mountain lion was killed at some point. Those things weigh about the same as a grown man. Not exactly a tiger or whatever, but scary enough. They're not really around here and the one was an anomaly. I'd be scared of hogs more than anything but not many of them around here either. No wild horses lol. Mostly just rattlesnakes. I've wanted to catch one before I died. You can't find many youtube videos on catching venemous snakes. Pin the head and grab it close to the neck lol. I doubt I'll ever do it - especially since I rarely drink anymore. Maybe catch a non-venemous snake first.

Actually about to go wash my kayaks off. I bought these fuckers for 2-3 BTC making them an unfortunately expensive purchase.
    It is official. Redietz will never be on Dan Druff's podcast. "too much integrity"

I get it more than you think. My ex came over to see me and we drove around the nearby lake and walked around. It was 3 hours before we got back and I was fairly surprised. Doing outdoors stuff in your area is so easy .. a dry run makes sense. So convienent.

Went to where the lake was letting out. There has been a lot of rain around here this year so lake lets out and all teh fish from the "river bottom" come up to the dam. It is a pretty well known fishing hole in this part of the world. We watched people pull in gar and "freshwater drum" which I didn't even know were a thing. Also saw one guy pull in a catfish. The fishing was pretty decent but not motivating me to go get a license and go back. Fishing is a social thing and you need someone else who also wants to do it IMO.

No bears around here. Actually have a neighbor come across a mountain lion that had dragged a donkey off and was killing it. I think that mountain lion was killed at some point. Those things weigh about the same as a grown man. Not exactly a tiger or whatever, but scary enough. They're not really around here and the one was an anomaly. I'd be scared of hogs more than anything but not many of them around here either. No wild horses lol. Mostly just rattlesnakes. I've wanted to catch one before I died. You can't find many youtube videos on catching venemous snakes. Pin the head and grab it close to the neck lol. I doubt I'll ever do it - especially since I rarely drink anymore. Maybe catch a non-venemous snake first.

Actually about to go wash my kayaks off. I bought these fuckers for 2-3 BTC making them an unfortunately expensive purchase.
    Right On.
    Good Post!
    Sure, I wish I was camping in a different environment but I live in Vegas.
    Have to play the cards I am currently dealt.
    I plan to travel to better spots near a lake or river in the future.
    Dry Runs like you say.
    Gaining some experience before traveling hundreds of miles away from home.

Monet, this guy does pretty good reviews on tents and other camping equipment:

"More importantly, mickey thought 8-4 was two games over .500. Argued about it. C'mon, man. Nothing can top that for math expertise. If GWAE ever has you on again, you can be sure I'll be calling in with that gem.'Nuff said." REDIETZ

Thank You mickeycrimm!!

This guy is more focused on backpacking in and lightweight gear.
    Minimalist.
    Young
    Very Fit
    He did a review on the Dark Tech Tent that I bought.
    Good Information though... I'm not knocking it.

Wall Tents with Wood Stoves are a different animal.
    They are literally portable cabins.
    You can live in them for months at a time if not years.
    Some guys even modify them basically turning them into a stationary wood cabin.
    Check this crazy bastard out in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes.
    Ford Trucks are Built Ford Tough.
    This guy should get paid for this video which is basically a Ford Truck Commercial IMO.
    The guy dug in Grid Power to the tent!
    Way too elaborate for what I am doing but impressive non the less.

Last edited by monet; 06-23-2021 at 04:01 PM.

My son is heavily involved in the overland scene and I am in awe at some of the equipment he has.

Like a tent/platform you mount on top of your rack (or on a custom trailer, as he has done); lots of room, up high, has a ladder and is a breeze to set up.

He also has a big tent for guests that is the easiest thing to set up I've seen: beats the old pup tent I used camping in Telluride and Ouray.

I like the orange things you use if stuck in the mud: very useful.

It's a new world.
    Last edited by MisterV; 06-23-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    What, Me Worry?

Shopping for a new hobo abode, I see.
    FraudJ's word is worth less than the prop cash in Singer's safe...RIP

There’s a prehistoric pup fish from thousands of years ago that only resides in a national wildlife refuge south of Death Valley so put that in your pipe and smoke it Cunt, perhaps along with some sativa.

Thread Information